Warhammer 40k General

"Let's all be nice to eachother :)" Edition
Previous Thread
>Freshest Rules in Epub (Use Readium for PC or Kobo on Android)
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!2tgBUTYI

>Older stuff in PDFs:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>As current as the FAQs get
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE CLOWNS):
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

>List Builder if BS doesn't add enough bloat for you
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

Good luck with that, first for Eldar

I am fortifying this thread.

Anons, I'm trying to make a fluffy Dark Angels list for my first army. I posted some questions in the last thread, and anons told me why not to take a heavy weapon in my tacs. How is this so far? What should I add/change/remove?

1500 Dark Angels

-Terminator Librarian, 90
+ML2, 25
+Storm Bolter, 5
Total, 115

Troops
-3x Tactical Squad, 70
+5 marines, 70
+Combi-Plasma, 10
+Plasma Gun, 15
Total, 165 (495)

Dedicated Transports
-3xRhinos, 35
+Dozer Blade, 5
Total, 40 (120)

Elites
-Venerable Dreadnought, 125
+Heavy Flamer, 10
Total, 135

Dedicated Transport
-Drop Pod, 35
+Locator Beacon, 10
Total, 45

-Deathwing Command Squad, 200
+Champion, 5
+Apothecary, 5
+Assault Cannon, 20
+Deathwing Company Standard, 20
+2 Chainfists, 10
+Perfidious Relic of the Unforgiven, 15
Total, 275

Heavy Support
-Predator Squadron, 75
+2 Predators, 150
+Heavy Bolter Sponsons, 60
Total, 285

Complete Total, 1,470

Putting together a Death Guard CSM army. I

Is it worth spending the points on a squadron of 3 vindicators and giving one the Legacy of Ruin from Imperial Armour 13 (Maelstrom Raider) that grants Fear and Outflank (allowing all 3 vindicators to outflank together)?

My attempts of WAACfagging with Death Guards. Any suggestions/criticism (other than muh bikes)?

So this is the core of my list, but I'm not sure what else to put in it to make 1250 points. What goes good with 80 infantry?

Halp, how to get FnP on a Guard blob?

besides your HQ which is missing since priests don't count as mandatory, you want as many rolls on divination as possible for misfortune, presc the squads for twin-looking misfortune something and rend the shit out of everything with hundreds of flashlights.

What army has rules that are least representative of their fluff? Most?

It's also missing the other troops choice. It's not a complete list, just what I want to base the army around.

So a Company Command Squad with Astropath and some Primaris Psykers? Would adding Chimeras be good? Any tanks? Heavy Weapons Squads?

>Elites
>-Venerable Dreadnought, 125
>+Heavy Flamer, 10

whats the arm weapon? multimelta?
coz there aint no MM in the ven-dread kit

Least: Orks
Most: GSC

Okay so this is my goal to build toward. Have I messed up anything? Is everything fine?

So let's get this thread started right, post some recent hype games you've had, or especially clutch turns
I'll greentext one up myself
Keep them at least believable though

I throw autocannons in my squads. you can throw the CCS in a chimera throw the primaris psykers in the blob.

leman russes have a gun for just about every occasion. take an executioner with pask and burn yourself alive.

Yeah, I figured that podding a melta dread would be a good idea. Would have to get that from FW though.

Should I give him a Lascannon or Assault Cannon instead?

What exactly does the "Attacks" characteristic represent? (From a fluff standpoint)

Fury, Superior CQC training, Ferocity, Lethality

>Most
I'd say Eldar. Within the codex(aside from point costs on Wraithknights), the balance is pretty well and all of the units work together well. So well that you could almost pick a bunch of random Eldar units and still have a working army.
GSC are pretty fluffy.
>Least
I might be biased, but Grey Knights. On page 6 of our codex it says "Even the Librarians of other Chapters cannot match the psychic might of the Grey Knights," meanwhile on the table...And they feel weaker than paper compared to regular Space Marines and you feel the loss of each individual model a lot harder compared to Space Marines. On the table it feels like they have no clear identity. As a melee army, it's hard to get into melee with them. Their best shooting weapon is Psycannons and they have little access to Lascannons. And as a Psyker army, they are bottom tier compared to other Psyker armies. They lose stupid hard to Daemons, who they're supposed to give a run for their money.
Orks are also pretty unfluffy.

WS is combat prowess. Attacks is combat speed.

Sure, he has an Unwieldy weapon, but once he brings it to bear it's full might he'll unleash a flurry of devastating blows.

It represents how functional your arms are. If you're holding a two handed gun, you're not going to be a martial arts master, so you'll probably just be smacking someone with your elbow. If you have a pistol and a sword, you're probably spinning your arms so you get 2 attacks.

>single lightning claw, ever
>mixing special weapons, ever
>the CSM squads have too many special weapons
>extra armour on rhinos, ever
>double claws on a one-wound aspiring champion biker
>icon of excess in a 3-model unit
>TLLC on a Helbrute and not a more reliable shooter

Read the codex first. Build your list from the codex first. Don't use an army builder until you know what you're doing.

It can also represent sheer quantity of pointy bits that can be used at once.

you could also try to grab it from a assault on black reach dread that populate ebay for cheap.

another thing dont squadron the preds unless you have to.
personally i would give at least one lascannon sponsons. hbolters dont cut it

>plastic sisters soon
>celestine isn't gone GW is just just waiting for a actual sisters codex which is also soon
>they won't make SoB a place holder

Shh no hopes, only dreams now.

For a beginner dark angels army, would it be better to Dark Vengeance or get betrayal at calth and use the stuff in that as counts-as dark angels?

why dreams?
Gotten a real physical codex for the first time since...codex witchhunters
Immolator back instore
new sister model, even if its only a resin cannoness, its a new model
2016 has been kinder to SoB then the last 10

Vengeance

How is the new codex?

both
you kinda need dark vengeance for rulebook templates etc. anyway.
and betrayal at calth gives you loads of cheap marines.
You might want to not use all terminators.
the best HQ (IMHO) is a librarian, DV has one

>Two many weapons
Huh? Wat do you mean, the CSM squads have 10 men. that gives 2 special weapons.
>Double claws
I love the look of double Lightning claws, and most of my stuff has them because it's the only way to get two attacks and b you used to get more bonuses for have 2 claws.

>3 man Biker excess
Icon of excess is in that unit so the Sorcerer can benefit from it.

>Twin linked on Hellbrute.
I needed the tank popping at 1000 points.

Dark Vengeance will fit better with the rest of the standard DA line. The Calth minis are nice, but there Iron Armor and the only way to get a consistent look would be to go full Forgeworld.

On the other hand Calth minis are all marines so you don't need to look for a split box on ebay or find someone to split the Chaos with. So it depends on what you want. That said Chaos is hot right now so it might not be that hard to find someone to split a DV box with.

Oh, I could do that, couldn't I?

With the Preds, I figured squadroning them could be good since that way they could hunt light vehicles/MCs since squadron of three grants Tank and Monster Hunters, or help thin hordes with the amount of shots they'd all be putting out.

Dark Vengeance, but BaC is also good. Really, it depends on what your army will end up looking like.

Mostly identical

No celestine, otherwise uninspiring.

But its a physical book, no ebook only or White Dwarf abomination

calth does not have Mk3 Iron, thats Prospero
Calth has the Mk4 ones, who do not look out of place next to normal ones

>be me in local tourney at LGS
>there's an ork player who always places and brings fun but challenging lists
>in B4 "wow your scene must suck to loose to orkz"
>He brings a stompa
>full of mechs and shit to give it tons of repair rolls
>last game it took 9 hull points and ended the game at 12
>I'm playing parking lot guard
>I joking say I'll blow it up and table him
>he says he'll buy me Mexican if I do
>he gets turn one
>tons of boyz in trukkz ready to be in my gunlines face turn 1
>not looking good
>coteaz seizes
>wutDaZog.squigskin
>each hit on each trukk is a pin that causes an explodes results with no AP
>vaporize everything he has turn one except for a meganobb squad and his boss with a lucky stikk's squad
>they all jump in the stompa to take refuge, he moves up, punches through all my void shields, puts a massive blast on my guardsmen blobs that kills about 20
>I turn all my guns at the stompa, strip 9 HP off of it, doesn't make a single 5++ save
>he kills a bunch more guardsmen, assaults and destroys pask
>fails every single repair roll including a 3+
>next turn I blow up how stompa
>I don't roll a single 1 and kill everything inside on the explosion
>turn 3 I mopped up some Gretchen camping an objective
>best Mexican food I've had in a while

I know it sounds like your standard ork ass raping but he still took 3rd after that beating, just to show how good he is in my group, plus a fucking fun game, even if the dice were on my side

Just noticed it lists 3 special weapons...Damn it when I deleted guys earlier it must have left some special weapon dudes in. Fixed.

so with imperial agents it's now 200 points to max out canticles. four detachments of enginseers each attached to a single 10 point servitor. for eight units with cantcles.

the problem with squadrons is that you cannot shoot at different targets and you have to place them close to each other.
What you might want is to put one pred on each side of the board to bring some hurt where its needed.

>too many weapons
You have two meltas and a flamer. Drop the flamer and you're good.

>claws
Eh, just cut em off the aspiring champions. Replace with swords. Or, if your playgroup is nice, ask to counts-as a power sword. On melta squads, drop it for a chainsword and just take melta bombs for cracking open tanks/monstrous creatures.

Otherwise, your dude will just get challenged out and you lose ~50 points in one model (or he fails to do anything anyways).

>icon
Take more bikes. It's a flat cost per unit, so take at least a few more bodies. Otherwise it's not really worth it.

>helbrute

Take a Forgefiend. You've got multiple melta squads as is, unless you're fighting IG parking lots you'll need more S6-7 shots.

Okay updated it.

Don't take power weapons on Guard sergeants. Heck, don't do it ever. Especially when your weapons mean you can't charge.

Currently have 2 Devilfish and 2 Skyray's (magnetized for Devilfish as well). Should I bother picking up more tanks? If so, what?

>>Double claws
>I love the look of double Lightning claws, and most of my stuff has them because it's the only way to get two attacks and b you used to get more bonuses for have 2 claws.
the problem with the current shit-for-codex is that you pay too much
the first 15point claw gives you shred and Ap3
the second...just +1A therefore one is far better
the old dex had a 2LC entry

if you want the brute for tankpopping give him Las+MissileLauncher or Autocannon+ML. Not too good but atleast has more then a single shot

>weapons
Yeah just saw that on the weapons thing. fixed it and have an extra 25 points.

>Good point Chaos champions HAVE to challenge. and shred doesn't require two claws any more so...I'll switch that up and I should be able to afford that extra body. for 5 guys in the squad (4 regular bikers and the sorcerer)
Swords can't give claws extra attacks to claws so maybe nothing special.
>Forgefiend
I would but not compatible with the Chaos war band. I have my choice between Havocks and Helbrute. I chose the Brute.

>least
Tyranids, Tau

>most
Necrons, AdMech

True enough. I think I'll keep them squadroned though, maybe play a few games once I have my army finished and see which feels better, squadroned or un-squadroned.

But you can only take three detachments in most tournies. Also why would you want to max out canticles with so small a canticles using force?

I would sub out the conscripts for a tech priest and 1-2 more wyverns, those things are amazing

Consider squadroning the manticores so you can prescience them at the same time, then use POTMS to splitfire them with your tech priest

Vets don't add much compared to just more numbers imo

1 company command should be enough for 1500, remember your platoon command squad can give orders too

Autocannons are daddy and will help with an army the deploys totally in light armour like DEldar, remember you can order them to ignore cover and stuff too

Is there such a thing as "Denying the Witch" in the fluff? Can a non-psyker resist/nullify psykic powers by sheer force of will?

who gives a shit about tournaments? it's an interesting insurance thing for a cult mech army, though. relatively cheap msu to effectively guarantee you keep your canticles going hard.

Do we have an Agents epub yet?

I can't decide on an army.

I've spent most of the day building various lists for the factions whose fluff I like, but I never finalize anything. Please send help.

yes, that is indeed a thing. being strong willed lets you say fuck you to some things.

Deathwing

Orks

Slaaneshi Marines

What should I start?

Custodes were trained to resists powers of the warp, so yes, mortals can do it. A standard human would need a lot of will power but it can be done.

yes
harder the more powerful the psyker is but its possible to do

Any rumor about whats coming next?

Total newfag, what should I buy to field a 1000 points ork force?

Is a Crisis heavy, Farsight Enclaves army a good one to start with? They seem pretty simple to paint if nothing else, and they're more interesting to me than SM or Orkz.

I was wondering that as well. Probably the AOS stuff they were teasing in the "rumor engine" articles.

Noticed something funny with vehicle squadron rules.

So you have to apply hull point wounds to the model closest to the firer.

Tanks can also move backwards just as fast as they move forwards.

Would it then be possible to create an effictively AV 14 13 14 vehicle with a Leman Russ Squadron?

The only danger being they could potentially cause multiple explosions on the first tank and then the second tank would also die.

I'm thinking this would be particularly useful for Tank Commander/Pask teams. Eradicator up front split-fires to blast infantry/light vehicles, Exterminator swats heavier things while staying behind the Eradicator with its ass backwards so any deepstrikers are forced to hit AV 14 or 13.

Line of sight isn't an issue either, since squadrons can shoot through each other.

Any guard players do this? Does it work?

Dark mexicans or plastic sisters.

Either one would work. Dark Vengeance gives you a starter army that truly feels like Dark Angels: regular space marines with plasma, terminators and bikes. Betrayal at Calth on the other hand gets you a huge mass of space marine infantry with basic options, but nothing specific for Dark Angels. Even the Terminators are in the Cataphractii relic armor which is more of an Ultramarines thing, your relic Terminators(Deathwing Knights) are much, much different.

A lot of psychic stuff is all about willpower, which is why librarians are LD10, and why perils results can be negated by a Ld test.

The warp is heavily influenced by willpower and belief, which is why the Black Templar's iron resolve, hatred of all things warp related, and unflinching loyalty to the Emperor gives them adamantium will dispite not being psykers

How would you fix melee in 40k?

Whatever you can headcanon your dudes better
That's why i'm playing Crons and DE

ehß
Look at dis here git.
You start dem orks coz orks iz mighty proppa fer fightin.
Then you go to the sillybois in nottingham an eat them to make a right proppa ork-dex. Dey humies are just 'fraid of de orkz, hence dey maks the codex all weak.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

d6+6" charge, charge from infiltrate, scout and deep strke, initiative test in order to fire overwatch

More Chaos in Jan. Seems like a new Abaddon.

assault out of transports becoming a thing again

Unwieldy reduces I by 1, not to 1, in close combat. This does not effect Initiative tests.

>More Chaos
I better not hear another fucking peep from them for a good while.

In addition, allowing charges from vehicles that move more than 6 inches for fast and/or open-topped.

Deathwing with several Slaaneshi marines and one really really confused Ork who isn't quite sure why he's there but he's having a good time anyway

>Ini test for Overwatch
>Half charge range for charging from reserve/DS
unless you're Eldar/DE/Corsair
>More assault vehicles
Make it so Melee is more risk more rewards compared to the reliablity of shooting

Assault out of deep strike being allowed, but the defending armies being able to influence scatter on most forms of deep strike.

Yes.

??

Half of that is not even realistic. I say make WS vs WS the same as Strength vs Toughness, allow units to overwatch at full BS if they forgo shooting, and give HoW to non-disordered charges that target models without the Counter Attack special rule. Allow charge after deepstrike and running.

come to think of it
orks and csm are allies of convienence anyway
use deathwatch for featherfriendly slaanesh termies
they like to use the feathers for... well for stuff

Talking about ways to improve melee in 40k, not reading from the rules directly.

>Tanks can also move backwards just as fast as they move forwards.

One of the things I'm thinking about doing for 40k is a set of rules for special scenarios that make terrain and movement more dynamic. Bring back faster vehicle movement on roads, prevent easy vehicle turns, subject Tau battlesuits to certain vehicle rules, include terrain that only basic infantry can climb, add dangerous terrain variants whose tests ignore armor or normal dangerous terrain immunity, etc.

Basically bring in all the battlefield factors that normal 40k rules gloss over. Your thoughts?

That's another proposed change, not a "melee's fine you guys, see?" post.

Do it, man! I'd love to have stuff like that around for Cityfight style games.

Ahh, my bad.

Halve the number of shots you can fire in overwatch
Assault is 6+d6 inches
Change the to-hit table so it isn't retarded and punishes low WS more and rewards high WS more
Allow charging from stationary vehicles, maybe.

Battlesuits can fly though

Yeah, that's the idea, for cityfights and stuff. Basically make the game focused on squad tactics and boots on the ground again, rather than on heavyweights slugging it out.

I'll post it when I've written it up.

Latest version.

You've essentially invented HoR's terrain rules but for 40k proper.

The rules in HoR are built because the higher granularity means more focus on the individual model, not the unit as a whole, and are balanced around basic Infantry models. At the 40k scale, it seems like a whole lot of bookkeeping.

Not saying it's a bad idea, but HoR is a resource you can use for more granular terrain rules.

Yes, I'm not saying limit their rotation speed. More like make Haywire, Melta and Armourbane good against them instead of Fleshbane and Poison(obviously would need to keep in mind poison-heavy armies like Dark Eldar and Deathwatch), stuff like that.

Current thought:

Imperial Agents allows you to take a Deathwatch team in with your Inquisitorial Warband.
The book is said to supplement, not replace, the old books, so if you do so you can use the full wargear list.
This includes a Dedicated Transport of a drop pod.
You can, therefore, buy a Drop Pod for your inquisitorial warband - since they all are one unit and share factions, they can enter it.
You can drop in a Warband through deep strike.
This feels exploitable, though I'm not yet certain how.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I would still want to keep things simple, and make sure the more complex stuff is optional.

40k had a lot of that, in 2ed
its a good thing its gone, made the game faar to complicated to play, especially the vehicle turning template.

Why do i get the feeling that when i finish this list all my Destroyer Lord will be doing is either supporting my Heavy Ds or getting killed by himself trying to assault things