/kdg/kdm/kdmg/ - Kingdom Death General

Huge Lanterns edition

Old Thread: →

Kingdom Death is a dice-chucker eroge based on a doujinshi written of Dark Souls by Michael Kirkbride.

>which pledge do I get?
Frogdog God
>how is shipping handled?
Included in the pledge total
>what new expansions are there?
Wrath of The Chosen, Lantern Festival, and Under the Squalid Skies
>why is the game not coming out till 2020?
Because you touch yourself at night
>why is this Lucy best girl?
Best boy, too
>what is included in the Gamblers Chest?
A pair of dice and a sticky note with two crudely drawn smiles

>Kickstarter Page: kickstarter.comprojects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/description
>Adams comments:
kickstarter.com/profile/poots/comments
>Pledge and addon overview: vibrantlantern.com/KDM15/#pledgelevels

Other urls found in this thread:

stdobby.github.io/kingdomdeath/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ujOUYfjTFp3jOx7T4f3wl-KmxBh0hST0Spa2Q3fy2k/edit#gid=0
blackhandpainting.blogspot.com/2016/11/kingdom-death-stone-effect-tutorial.html
amazon.com/Reaper-Miniatures-08906-Learn-Paint/dp/B00NTMC49G/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck, almost perfect. Shoulda wrote "Obscurantism Edition."

Pledge helpers for people.

Pledge Comparator & Shipping Calculator:
stdobby.github.io/kingdomdeath/

Miniature Count with bonus statistics:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ujOUYfjTFp3jOx7T4f3wl-KmxBh0hST0Spa2Q3fy2k/edit#gid=0

>which pledge do I get?
>Frogdog God
And please people, make sure to pledge for Frogdog God and not Goddog Frog. The latter is a troll tier where he's going to take your money and run. He's said this in the comments.

Thanks, I'll be including these in the next OP I do, I do like half of them.
I think I'm the one who starter >/kdg/kdm/kdmg/

No problem. I actually maintain that spreadsheet there, so if anyone spots anything incorrect on it just pipe up and I'll go fix it.

Last thread actually had a halfway descent lore link. That maybe should be a standard to link for new threads?

What the fuck, are the resin base inserts suppossed to leave a gap between them and the plastic base? Shouldn't it fit perfectly?

how did poots say we could obtain the armor sets from the new expansions?

he said he was gonna do those besides the narrative sculpts in the expansion right ?

Which model and what base-insert. ;)
The plastic inserts fit perfectly within the base.

Resin however can shrink a little bit when setting, so it may leave a small gap I suppose.

He still intends to do armour kits for the new expansions, but sell them separately this time.
That should also help the delivery time-line somewhat, as those sprues are complicated to say the least.
The new Expansions themselves will only contain "narrative sculpts" with the relevant armour.

Ah, the Thief. Cool miniature indeed.
That's about 1.5mm all around?
Hmm, KD resin usually doesn't shrink that much, so perhaps sculpted slightly too small?
I'd recommend just gap filling with greenstuff or something similar.
Not much you can do about it, I suspect every single one of the miniatures will have that.

>almost the whole settlement consists of children of the basically Queen of the Tribe who fists Monsters to death and eat skulls and a dude too afraid of the dark to ever hunt again, getting a "Fated Blow" from the Queen in every Intimacy Event
Sometimes I really love this game. Getting four Fated Blows off in one round with the Queen and her daughters is pure bliss.

I think I'll wait to receive the other KD models I ordered to see if their bases fit or there are others that leave a gap. If most of them fit perfecty I'll fill the thief's gap (heh) with green stuff.

Is houtengeki working for Poots now?

I also do like half of them. I noticed you were doing /kdg/ /kdm/ /kdmg/, and so last thread I just condensed it because the extra slashes aren't necessary to find the thread with ctrl+F

Da Hootch pinup when?

At what point should you go for Level 2 Monsters?
Overwhelming Darkness looks like a real pain in the ass, and that is even before the harder showdown.
Currently at LY7, just unlocked the Phoenix. I doubt we will hunt that one anytime soon, he seems very complicated and hard, but Lvl 1 White Lions have almost become a push over.

Hunt the L1 Screaming Piñata with an axe for a ton of resource gains, then start going for L2 Lions You should NVER hunt a L3 Lion. When you want to start hunting L3 Lions, hunt the L2 Antelope. Phoenix should start being hunted once you feel you are in comfortable antelope and lion gear.

Poots commissions freelancers, yes.

new wish for the kickstarter is to be able to preorder those for 50%-.

He would be perfect for drawing a story set in Kingdom Death. Nothing but utter horror and misery right as soon as you thought things will be okay.

I've been saying this the first kickstarter, I will say this again, we need to get one extra box, gift-wrap it and send it to the man.

What could be the endgame for People of the Nest?
Fighting the Gryphon seems unfitting what with those pheromonse and all, helping to build the nest and all

Unless they are somehow freed from its control, perhaps by the Flower Witch. If that happens, then we get the classic game over.
Lose? Gryphon wrecks settlement, everyone dies.
Win? Rest of the monsters living under the gryphon's control are suddenly free and hungry. Everyone dies.

Pretty sure its Sunstalker 2: Inverted Mountain Boogaloo

Either the Gryphon eats you or the babies do (its a nest, after all).

Why would they fight back against being eaten though?
The way I read it they are completely mindcontrolled

Plot device, Mr. Frodo, plot device.

>Frogdog God
Kek is fucking everywhere these days

What other campaigns are you guys hoping to see during this game? We have people of the nest, and possibly ringtail fox people. I imagine that we could get something to go with Satan as well.

Given the choice between fluffy tails and various other things that are not fluffy tails, the decision is clear.

Fluffy tail and Satan. Thats all i really want.

Multiple colors of resin, obvious and inconsistant shrinkage of parts.

Looks like a chinese recast.

The base is plastic.

A People of Hell campaign with Satan living in the settlement just absolutely fucking over everyone would be great.

It controls people's subconscious, and has them WANTING to build the nest, not exactly forcing them to. It just says most of the beings making it don't realize what they are building.

So my guess is you are forced to take graves (those who die are used as mortar for the nest. Can't harvest them.) and just build your settlement as normal. You get Nemesis encounters from Legendary versions of core game monsters (special rules, but not necessarily level 3+) which are just monsters NOT being controlled coming to prey on the settlement.

The ending is the gryphon coming back to the nest, and a few survivors going "FUCK NO THIS IS OUR HOUSE." If you win, returning survivors are killed by the mind controlled ones as a threat to the nest, but the mind controlled survivors live happily ever after in ignorant bliss out of your control. If you lose the fight, the gryphon no longer needs you, and devours the settlement.

>over
You accidentally an extra word user.

This is the official pic. Looks like it's normal.

Whats your favorite model? Percival was a blast to paint, so much so that Im excited to start picking up the knight and squires soon, but I love painting legs so I think the lioness has been my favorite so far.

I'm not talking about the base, I'm talking about everything else.

You'd have to be more than colorblind to not see the differences of tones in the resin parts.

>the sunstalker, golden entity, mosquito, gryphon all mind control humans to do X or Y

Fucking boring. Wish Poots could come up with a new hook for his bullshit.

Did u do that? That's good

>Painting the girl with the lightest skin and blue hair like a bar of cherry chocolate.

Don't bully Lucy like this. Not a bad color scheme or paintjob but still.

I don't really have a favorite model yet, but I'm biased towards Primal Huntress pinup because Poots listened to my critiques during its modeling process and that's special to me.

No just something I pulled of the net real quick. My percival is at home and not painted nearly as well. Also her sword is a little off kilter because I mucked up a bit while putting her together.

Now that you mention it looks like the bits in the base are slightly different color than the rest of the model. Welp, it came with the original box, art and card signed by Poots, so I'm not sure. Bought it from a french ebay store. Let's wait until I get the models I bought from the official KD store to compare resins and colors using a reliable reference.

Sunstalker doesn't mind control. People just worship it as a god and are very fanatical about it, but it's not the Sunstalker doing it.

But the Knowledge Worm does, so add that to the list.

The last issue of Hellblazer fucking sucked

Story?

He sold the original seperately and put recast in its pkace

The first kickstarter was a much smaller community so more useful feedback didn't get drowned out by idiots and fools ranting about things they don't understand.

Early renders of the Primal Huntress had many small subtler things that simply didn't do the art justice. I provided a lengthy critique, and Poots responded well to it. (Basiclly, notibly different proportions on body and equipment, and most importantly a much weaker pose unfitting for the warrior woman shown in the art)

Seems unlikely. The store has more than 10000 votes with 99.5% positives. If they were recasters people would have noticed already.

That's kinda cool
Email the store for a refund, and then Poots. You could be busting wide open a smuggling ring based on putting heroin in KDM boxes yaknow.

>The warrior woman shown in the art

Lol what.

I see what he means, that pose is stiff and self-contradictory.
>has its arms out like its gonna attack
>doesn't have its legs spread and weight on balls of feet
Pose is shit.

I mean it's a pin up, most of them are just silly fun. However I'm not sure I believe that poots actually changed anything. I don't know which early render he's referring to but I found this one. Will post final mini for comparison.

And the final mini. You're going to have to spell it out for me what exactly changed because I call bullshit.

The face looks more determined to me.

Have you guys ever considered making a "staged" showdown just for fun?

To elaborate; letting your players build whatever kind of character they want (fighting arts, gear, hunt xp/bonuses, etc) and then letting them loose on something like level 3 dragon?

Would be kind of fun for just a quick thing, potentially.

Maybe, but I think that has more to do with the unpainted eyes. Art wise the most determined looking is for sure weapon shop gal.

I'm fairly certain I bought from the same store; I got the Messengers of Humanity and the Spiral Path off of them. No complaints from me for either one.

It might be the angle but the chin looks tucked a little more

>hair is some strange crossbreed of the best and the worst possible haircut
I feel conflicted.

>Disliking undercut pompadour

Weak.

I legit thought it was a hat until I got the model

That isn't the early render, though.

Early render is here.

Ok, here they are side by side. What exactly changed? I'm not calling you a liar you fucking liar but I need to know.

Her weight is shifted and her arms are in a slightly more ready stance.
Still not a good pose imo.

You're fucking blind, m8. Her leg stance, for one. The left one is dainty as fuck with a bent knee. The right one is a wider, fightier stance. Her arms have a more subtly firmer pose. Her expression is a little harder, too.

I did say is was a series of more minor, subtle changes.

Most of what was said in applies, but the head size on the old one was also larger, which in turn makes for a shorter person.

Of the pinups at the time, her art was argubly the least typically pinuppy, more activly going towards a strong-lady route than simply sexy pose babe. It was a niche in the group I didn't want to see lost in the model itself.

It's a small thing, but no one else was really critiquing models, so it's a mini that's kinda special to me.

So I'm really interested in the game. Wanted to get a copy at GenCon, but holy fuck that line. Everyone was gone and sold out before I was even halfway through.

Anyways, I'm looking at the $750 backer pledge. My biggest issue is that I, quite simply, cannot paint. How much of a crime is it to get a game like this and not paint the miniatures?

blackhandpainting.blogspot.com/2016/11/kingdom-death-stone-effect-tutorial.html
Requires basically no skill (except the simulated cracks, but you don't really need those), remember to fill gaps with greenstuff, if you want to actually be able to paint eight months is about enough time to attain basic competency.

The models are just the right shade of grey to where they look statuesque, and the right level of luster to where they carry shadows well to show detail at a decent eyedistance.

You should still at least prime the models though. While the previews make them look nice, in reality you are going to have bruised plastic and putty filling in gaps which will mar that overall color.

Some time ago I played 40k and did attempt to paint an army, but oh boy. After many hours I was no better than I'd started.

Thanks for the link.

I am okay with assembling models, but use of putty is still a mystery to me.

In short, I am quite interested in the game, but am pretty sure my abilities to do something with the miniatures is going to make it a massive waste of cash.

I'll have to do some more thinking about it, I suppose.

Get couple cheap models (eg. second hand GW stuff) and practice.

amazon.com/Reaper-Miniatures-08906-Learn-Paint/dp/B00NTMC49G/
Worth it?

It's not a bad deal. You can usually get Reaper paints for around $2.70 a bottle. So $29.70 for paints and then you get three models and two brushes and their guide for $2.79.

The colors provided are a good start as well, lots of basic colors. Some shades/inks/other stuff can come later.

Thanks, I'm prob getting this after Xmas then.

So Poots the retard apparently thinks that the "hunt event card pack" idea meant the community wanted the hunt table turned into 100 cards.

Wew.

>So the retarded community apparently thought that the "hunt event card pack" idea meant that more events would be added to the book's hunt table.
FTFY

Only a few of the monsters could use some greenstuff touchups in select locations, but in general you shouldn't need to greenstuff anywhere else if you don't fuck up the assembly, nor have any "bruises" on the plastic. (I'm guessing you mean unsmoothed sprue nubs)

Then again, I spend more time cleaning the parts than I do assembling them so that I can enjoy the models without ruining them with subpar painting skills.

Any tips/guides on cleaning and assembly?

Carefully clip off parts from the sprue, never twist them off.

Scrape carefully with your mold lines. You can use the back of your xacto knife, or a seamscraper such as Citidel's overpriced moldline remover. KDM models in general have very well placed moldlines, so sometimes you won't have to work hard to remove them. (like a moldline going with the flow of hair instead of going across it)

Dryfit everything, twice. Activate your crab-octopus hands if you have to, as none of the models come with true instructions. You can often find a guide for assembly on Vibrant Lantern, but remember that he's just one of us who worked with nothing, learn from any of his mistakes, don't repeat them.

Dryfit a thirdtime asshole, becuase you didn't realize that wedge-shaped attachment is slightly too long and now a block is sticking out of the side of your antelope's ear. If a wedge-connection is slightly too big, carve off a bit of wedge, dryfit, repeat until satisfactory.

Pay attention to how your dryfit works and do your best to figure out the best order otherwise. Generally, arms and heads should be among the last thing for human figures. Heads so you can make a good dramatic facing for the character, though this is more for armorkits since monopose figures are monopose.

To be continued:

Read OP here for resource list.

Your glue matters a lot.

Do not use plastic cement(sometimes called plastic glue) as it devalues your minis. How does it devalue, you ask? Plastic cement works by melting the plastic parts together, welding or fusing them. This means if you fuck up in the slightest, you cannot easily undo your mistake. You cannot put a mini in a freezer overnight to make the connections super brittle to disassemble; you have to saw parts off, and that's quite difficult for many things.

Do not use Gorilla Glue; none of their products are designed for plastic-on-plastic bonds in mind, not even their superglue. All of their products are rubberized, meaning while durable to shock, are breathing formulas. While it takes quite extreme heat or cold for them to fail, they still expand and contract in typical heat or cold. Their ruberized superglue will expand in weather as cold as 40F. This is bad, and worse if you paint your models for obvious reasons. Their products in general have short shelflives due to the rubber as well. Gorilla makes great products for their intended uses, but they're not suitable for minis.

GW glues are overpriced, and Zap-a-gap generally frustrating.

I've tried many superglues, and while they're all CA glues, they have different formulas that result in different properties.

The best results I've had with plastic modeling is the original Superglue brand superglue gel. (green cap, yellow branding. red cap is nongel type) It's very inexpensive, getting two or three small tubes of it for $1. Because it's sold in multiple small tubes, you get longer product life out of it because you only break the seal of a new tube as needed, instead of half a large bottle dying on you. Because the tubes are small, you get a high amount of precision and flow control. Unlike other superglues, it's designed to not bond to oily surfaces, like your skin, so it's far easier to not glue parts to your hands instead of to eachother, and easier to remove dried glue from skin.

>the best kind of superglue is the one made by the brand superglue
Huh.

Thanks user, I'll save this for safe keeping.

Now I have about two weeks to decide which level package I want. I guess it boils down to : Are the expansions worth it?

At these prices, the only one which can practically be argued isn't is Lonely Tree.

So you'd say the $750 package is worth it?

It's like Kleenek or Sharpie or Scotch Tape, the brand name became the thing's name.
All cyanoacrylate glues are called superglue, but Superglue is originally a brand name.

Once we account for the remaining boxes in the Gambler's Chest the $750 Ancient Gold Lantern pledge is going to contain approximately 130 miniatures at least 20 of which are large (sometimes huge) monsters. It will contain enough content that years from now you still will not have played it out even if you play ever week.

A good deal, not a good deal... At this level of investment those kinds of things don't even exist. You're getting a dump truck of cardboard and plastic which could be played for years straight. If that's what you want, then fuckin' go for it man.

I'm over here with a fucking Satan pledge, I'm prepped for the goddamn apocalypse with minis and game content. And that's okay with me.

In terms of cost, if you took the Gold Lantern pledge and then added in the 10 old expansions so far revealed you're already at $815. And that's missing Lion God and Green Knight Armor.

So Ancient Gold Lantern basically gets you Lion God, Lonely Tree, Green Knight Armor and half of Slenderman for totally free.

Thanks, anons. The content really lasts that long, huh?

You'd be surprised at how many people think that because they pay more for something that it's better, or that because something is labeled "for hobby use" that it's the superior product to use.

We can only really comment on the original 12 expansions, since we can't play the new unreleased content.

Dragon is the biggest and baddest expansion, it gives a giant dragon to hunt, dragon gear, and an entire alternate campaign that's about making the baddest dudes you can instead of the standard settlement-based campaign.

Flower Knight and Gorm are great expansions, both early-game content. One event in Gorm makes it rather poopy, Gorm Climate, which is basically "fuck you, just because" but the easiest houserule to fix this is to just ignore it. (The rest of the expansion provides plenty of challenge on its own)

Dung Beetle Knight is Poot's favorite expansion, and it really shows. DBK is a huntable midgame monster with cool rewards, great fights, and lots of feels ;_;

Manhunter and Lion Knight are nemesis fights, both really fun, but like all nemesis fights are more about the expirence than the reward. Manhunter is Undertaker-with-a-gun, and Lion Knight just comes over and wants to put on a play to tell a story. Both are fun.

Slenderman is another nemesis, but is different in that he has resources to provide and you craft shit with. I don't have much firsthand with him, but he fucks with insanity and teleports around as you'd expect of him.

Sunstalker is another big-monster expansion with it's own alternate campaign you can do. It's gear is japan-inspired, including bows and katanas.

I'd rank Lonely Tree as just above Lion God because it's actually fun, but it's a small expansion that comes with a huge model. The main thing that hurts it is the high pricetag, so getting it for $40 is more what it's worth.

Lion God is bottomest tier, unfun overly hard fight with little reward.

Not all cyanacrylates are the same, they all have different formulas and properties, that's the point of the post is making.

I really love the idea of Manhunter because it gives this vibe of "Skyrim/Bloodborne/Fallout from the view of an NPC against a Endgame-tier player character". But I'll keep the Dragon in mind for the futre.

>Thanks, anons. The content really lasts that long, huh?
A full, successful campaign is somewhere around 100 total hours. That's just gameplay, although I'm including time lost due to setup and takedown and mulling over options and whatnot, but I'm not including time building and painting the figures.

With the original 12 campaigns + Gambler's Chest you could *easily* get seven campaigns in without even repeating any content.

Your first campaign you absolutely want no expansions in. Not only will you not have the expansions for a while, but the first time through you want it pure.

Your second, third, and fourth campaigns could be adding in different mixes of expansions. You don't want too many expansions in a campaign at a time -- each expansion significantly changes how the game plays out and if you put too many in it's like having too many chefs in the kitchen. 3 to 5 expansions per campaign is a good rule of thumb. That said, keep in mind the Lonely Tree and Green Knight Armor expansions don't really count against that number.

Your fifth and sixth campaigns could be the People of the Sun and People of the Stars alternate campaigns from the Sunstalker and Dragon King expansions. These work totally different from the base campaign and shake things up massively. Note that this isn't the only way to use these expansions -- you could just add the Sunstalker and Dragon King as quarries to the regular campaign instead just like any other monster. The extra campaign is just gravy.

Your seventh campaign? Use the crazy Kingdom Death: Monster Advanced shit in the Gambler's Chest. We have almost no idea what the fuck is in that box, except that it's supposed to be a game changer in a very big way. The philosophies alone sound amazing.

That's seven campaigns. That's ~700 hours of game content, without repeating hardly anything. That is what the fuck you are buying with that pledge.

Hey kids, what do you want on your DOUBLE TUMBSTONE

Trust me when I say it's more like going against a superhuman WWE wrestler who shoots a gun when he's bored. The terrain is even arranged like a makeshift wrestling ring made of toppled stone pillars.

>~700 hours of game content
Campaigns are *supposed* to be ~25 hours, so 150 hours of content.