/swg/: Fuck Space Otters Edition

Previous thread: →

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: We are Release Day+4 on Rogue One. Please exercise proper spoiler usage when discussion it. That is all, people.

>Rogue One release
Krennic/Mendelsohn fucking made that film for me. What a champ.

So how good is the U-wing in X-Wing? I can't make up my mind as to whether or not I want one.
While on the subject of X-Wing, I've ruled out the Partisan X-Wing as SWX58.

Why've you ruled out the partisan x-wing?

I'm probably gonna pick up a U-wing after christmas, I don't think it will be a high priority though. Still want HotR (unless I get it as a gift)

It's only seen on the ground as a background element. My current guesses for 58 are a new aces set or the Hammerhead as an epic ship.

So when are we going to get some new FFG Star Wars rpg material guys? Seems like it has been forever since they released any news. I have been waiting on a Mystics book for FaD and a Spy book for AoR.

So I'I new to FFG Star Wars. Just now looking at the EotE Core. Do the armor values look a little too small, or is it just me? How do they turn out working?

A Spy book would be pretty timley, what with R1 just comming out. That, and I'd really like some new Spy specializations.

Decent Endless Vigil scans fucking when

They work fine and represent what we see in the movies.

It's the Scum epic (whatever form it takes).

I want it to be an X-wing + Y-wing set, which would make it a nice tie in with the film since Y-wings actually do something

Plus the Y-wing could do with some more pilots

Speaking of Hammerheads, do we think THAT ONE was one of the ones Leia brought to Lothal in Rebels?

This is perfect.

>THAT ONE
Yes

Anyone else kinda excited about The Corellian Conflict? I should be able to play it with three friends but I'm kinda new to the game and wanted some feedback on a list before I buy a few more things. I know Armada isn't very popular so figured I should ask before just dumping a list.

I'd be happy to look the list over. Would you like suggestions to include known CC and wave 5 stuff since its out in a week or two? also, will this list be for Conflict or just a one off game?

Force Hold your horses, I can play as a Space Otter?

Yes

Conflict from what I've been told but I didn't get much elaboration on what that entails.

Objectives: Targeting Beacons, Fleet Ambush, Solar Corona

Commander: General Tagge

Flagship: ISD II
Boosted Coms
Electronic Countermeasures
Leading Shots

Interdictor Suppression Refit
Interdictor Title
Governor Tua
Electronic Countermeasures
SW-7 Ion Batteries
G-8 Experimental Projector
G7-X Grav Well Projector

Gladiator I
Ordinance Experts

5 TIE Squadrons
Valen Rudor

Sorry about the wait, my list cleared itself and I had to rebuild it.

I love to hate and hate to love K-2SO.
He's obviously the merchandise fodder, but they wrote the character well enough that it upsets me to realize I love his character.

When copies are common enough for someone to feel like DESTROYING THE BOOK.

To create a 'decent' scan requires taking the binding apart so you can scan the pages individually/flat.

Alternative answer; when you get a copy and scan it to provide to the /swg/ community.

I agree actually. Of all the good guys, that robot was the only one who had any personality or any character development.

Truly someone like that is the hero we need, but don't deserve.

but seriously, someone please get me a clear(er) picture of this schway motherfucker.

Chiss are old and busted, Pantorans are new hotness.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they brought the Chiss back into canon. Pantorans were basically Chiss without the red eyes.

I know it's because of thrawn, but still

And that gold marking is just so much sexier than red eyes

Don't have a scanner (Or a will to destroy my book, desu), but if there is any info you want from it, I can drop it in thread

I'm still waiting on the Rogue One visual dictionary and Friends Like These

>Not wanting as many space waifu races as possible

if you could give me a clear pic of this pantoran, I'd be very grateful.

>I'm still waiting on the Rogue One visual dictionary and Friends Like These

I'm hoping for a scan of the artbook. But since there hasn't been a scan for the Art of the Force Awakens either, I'm not super optimistic.

Care to expand on this? Because I haven't had the opportunity to play yet, and they look weak.

>they look weak.

Armor works in the game just as well as it does in the movies.

How well does it work in the movies?

Well, R1 got me in the mood for more gritty Star Wars soldiering, so I dug Republic Commando out of my backlog. Just finished the Prosecutor-chapter and wow, I see why this game comes so highly recommended. A shame Disney won't touch the prequel era, I'd watch the shit out of a Delta Squad movie.

So then yeah, it's weak. It doesn't work for shit in the films, and had at least a noticeable presence in the EU. That's more what I'm looking for.

Are there any easy fixes beyond just giving most of the actual combat armors a point more soak or so? Am I the only person who's bitched about it?

RC was pretty bomb. Wish a lot of the foes felt less like bullet sponges (without the easy mode side-effect of you being invincible).

I'm so fucking mad we didn't get this motherfucker as crew and pilot in the U-Wing expansion, instead we got a fucking space koala who appeared in 4 frames.
Anyway, any hopes they will realease yet another imperial shuttle and blue xwings in the near future?

>Am I the only person who's bitched about it?

Pretty much.

It doesn't matter if it had a presence in the EU, because the entirety of the EU is in equal parts shit and non-canon.

Normal armor is basically there to (hopefully) turn a hit that would otherwise definitely kill you into a hit that might only badly injure you. It is not - ever - something to rely on or significantly build around unless you're getting access to something particularly noteworthy (like a full set of Mandalorian gear). Not getting hit at all is still the only defense that matters. Why do combat characters even bother with armor then? Because - since they're combat characters - eventually they're going to get unlucky. It's a surety. Therefore, they wear armor to help them survive the time they get unlucky, not to run out in front of an AT-AT and tank its fire.

Improving armor can be a thing you choose to do. However, if you do, you're certainly moving away from canon and the whole point of writing a game in a licensed universe. Tanking hits simply isn't "Star Wars".

I'ts kinda weird, he piloted the ship most of the time, and was the best character in the movie but didn't get either pilot nor crew card. Droids truly get no respect.

If you want the true Republic Commando experience, play through it on Hard.

Those fucking SBDs man. I'd rather take on a droideka then a SBD in Hard mode

It does protect you from glancing hits
(light blaster pistol 4 + 1 success) - (2 brawn + 2 armor) = 1 damage

it cant stop a direct hit from a rifle very well, but it does downgrade a killing blow into a merely wounding one

in the movies, most people are put down with a direct hit, but the rebels are shown dying to near-misses because of the tine explosion they make while stormtroopers go down only to chest shots

the new movies shot it a bit better, although generic stormies still die in 1-hit due to plot reasons, there are many scenes where better tech shows that a hit to your armor does lessen the impact RIP Baze

so basically space kevlar, it stops medium hits at medium range, or light frag, but is not reliable at stopping rifle-sized hits

Which... really isn't at all how SBDs are depicted literally anywhere else. They're tough, but not boss-level tough.

Which is one of my few annoyances with RC.

Being what is commonly referred to as "Shit at games", I'll stick to medium, this game is kicking my ass enough as it is.

It's especially jarring since I've played so much BFII, where they are on pair with regular clone soldiers. Then again, in RC even genosians can tank bullets. They've just made all the enemies tougher in general to better sell the horrors of war, I suppose.

Some people got me into the X-Wing game from FFG. They already play Rebels and Imperials, so I thought on getting the Scum/Villany faction. Now I'm wondering what to pick. I'm usually the sneaky rush player (heavy and fast movement, ambushes and stuff) so what ships would you recommend me (or maybe another faction for my playstyle)? Also, as a second question, d I need the basic box even if the dudes have both a basic box (they said I might need them for rulers and tokens)?

Thanks in advance anons.

it works wonders for Baze malbus, who has heavy combat armor

he is hit multiple times in his breast plate without dying, the blow knocks him on his ass, but he survives everything but the grenade

He would have been neat. Who the heck was Heff Tobber? I'm hoping for a Veterans style pack with an X and a Y. The X could do with an obligatory fix/title and a mid-PS generic with an EPT, the Y's could do with more pilots and maybe some ordinance utility upgrades (crew, bombs)

IG-2000 sounds like it's just right for you. It's a large-base but it's fast and nasty. Every ship comes with any tokens it could use, dice are sold on their own but rulers & maneuver templates are only with the base game boxes, however it's really nice to get a set of acrylic templates made on etsy or something.

Most Wanted is a great Scum starter, with dials for Z-95s, Y-Wings, a HWK-290 and a Firespray, but it lacks the rules, dice, and range ruler. Grabbing a core set is recommended, but if you don't want TIEs or X-Wings, you can trade them. Not sure if Ebay has the dice & tokens for cheap, but it could be worth a look.

Scum has a lot of tricky options, and a few rather fast ships, like the Mandalorian Fang, the Shadow Caster, the Jumpmaster and Agressor.

If you only ever play with those other guys, you'll be fine without a basic box.

One of scums specialties is out-aggressing the enemy, as in fucking up his shit faster than he can fuck up yours, so they might fit you. There isn't really any sneak-mechanics in the game, but cloaking devices exists, they temporarily raises your agility. Scum gets a budget-cloaking device as an upgrade that they can put on a few different ships, while Empire have the only ship in the game with a built-in one.

For fuck-you-turbomurdering, the big ships like the agressors, the jumpmaster, the hound's tooth and Slave I* all work, with protectorate-witness-meee-starfighters bringing the small ship firepower. If tricky dicky is more your play, Mist hunter and HWK* seems like good choices.

If you tell us some more about what ships you enjoyed flying when you tried it out, we might be able to provide som better advice.

*Need a Most Wanted kit to use with the scum faction. But you probably want one of those anyway.

I suppose it mostly depends on what your group wants. My group is more fond of body armor that actually acts like it is described in a great deal of the EU--you can bitch about it all you want, but quality aside, there are portrayals of it acting like proper body armor, and some of us like the EU--so we run with slightly-improved armor. You still won't find any soak tanks (unless you run into something stupid, like a Wookiee in Mandalorian besker armor), but everyone feels a bit more survivable.

My personal suggestion is to increase the defense of certain heavier stuff (like heavy battle armor or laminate) to 1/3 instead of 1/2 (or in the case of laminate, 0/2). This gives the more in-between armor of padded it's own actual place as honest-to-God medium armor, and it gives soldiers armor that gives it a bit more of a survivable feel; but it doesn't turn soldiers or mercenaries/bounty hunters into tanks.

You'll obviously find individual pieces that are crazier (I ran one Death Watch nemesis with beskar armor worth 1/5, and deeply regret it. I ended up downgrading it to 1/4 for their next encounter without telling them), but I find this change doesn't through the game too out of whack.

3 brawn and 3 soak, makes the standard blaster pistol only deal scratch damage

Yea, checked the Aggressor at the wikia. Damn the movement looks really good with all the greens. Does the title stack on 2 aggressors, like they give their ability to each other if both got the title IG-2000, or are titles exclusive?

Probably gonna buy the basic box then and maybe trade away the ships in the end to reduce the cost. Thanks for that info. Gonna check the ships later I guess.

Outperforming via aggressive movements is just my style. I haven't played yet (watched a round and a half) while getting a bette grasp at the rules. Usually playing stuff in other tabletops which is agile with movement so I can bully stuff which moved in a bad position or cruising solo. I like the "go fast, kill fast" approach while I outspeed my opponent.

In the end, I should go for a basic box where I probably sell most of the figures and either the Most Wanted set or 1-2 Aggressor depending on my playstyle. Guess I gotta play some test matches to get a grip on the playstyle I wanted.

Thanks everyone, really appreaciating this.

Anyone got the U-wing pages from the Visual Guide? I'm going to try and stat it

>Does the title stack on 2 aggressors, like they give their ability to each other if both got the title IG-2000, or are titles exclusive?

Yes, they stack. What exactly would the point of the title be if it didn't?

Oh yea, misread that. Thought it only grants the abilities of other IGs, not only IG-2000s.

Aggressor Bro-Bots is a very viable build and was really popular before the JumpMaster came out.

I need more space otters in my life.

>Smart enough to build starships and blasters.

Nothing about Coneships is smart

What if you need something to put ice cream fighters in?

I basically intended it to be around a level IIIA (or borderline III) equivalent, capable of reliably saving your life from pistol-sized weapons. Changing it to 0/3 or 1/3 does so with someone with a brawn of 3 or 4. Considering most soldier-types my players fought were between 2-3 brawn, it felt pretty good for all involved, and was more true-to-form to EU survivability in our eyes as opposed to the film's near-hyperbole treatment of body armor.

I'll admit this isn't playtested exceptionally thoroughly; I've only run a couple of games. But in those games it hasn't provided that much of an issue, since most foes my players found themselves going up against had anything from heavy blaster pistols up, and my players did not often have their own hands on top-tier kit. They were often running about with padded or just heavy clothes.

They were very wary against fighting soldiers or fully-kitted bounty hunters, and only did so when they had the advantage or could bring to bear weapons (carbines or higher) that could reliably harm guys in military-grade armor.

Personally, I felt that was really comfortable. It was a minor change, but provided just a little bit more tension to fighting things like stormtroopers or bounty hunters or mercenaries. My players reacted well, and the one time they got their own hands on the equivalent kit, they understood that it was a lot better against smaller stuff; but having brought down enough soldier types with heavier weapons, they understood that they couldn't run out in the open like Astartes.

Oh didn't know that! I assume JumpMasters are a hard counter or strictly better than Aggressors, or any other reason?

Guess I'll go with the Aggressors if the gameplay is like my expectation.

>6 soak storm troopers
oh god, we are all doomed

QUCIK, someone strain them to unconsciousness with SCATHING TIRADE

I have a Jedi wth 7 soak and 3 defence, who can parry or reflect up to another 7 damage each.

And he still gets wrecked on the reg.

Groups are brutal. I.e. Stormtroopers.

What are some good entry level Vader stories/comics I can get into?

your trips are impressive, jedi

what the hell is hitting you? blaster rifles should only be reduced to about 2 damage each

The Force is strong with me.

Recently Geonosian Zombie hordes, then a (quite literally because we made the fuckin story go this way) Megazord robot piloted by Sullustans.

The latest fight was a gruelling slug match versus a Togrutan with a flail, so I couldn't parry it at all. On top of that I missed with almost every single lightsaber attack.

Oh and the droid snipers and walking tanks.

E-11s Rifles and 5 Brawn Vibroaxes were tough.

Not to mention the Hailfire Droid things. We lost two PCs to those in two sessions (same guy lost both characters, now the GM is terrified of killing his dudes).

>won't touch the prequel ere
They brought back Rex and Ahsoka into Rebels, so they'll touch prequel things.
Hopefully they will do more with the actually pretty interesting prequel era, and just never touch the prequel movies.

Now I'm thinking about if the movie Anakin behaved like TCW Anakin. I think I might have actually believed some of his emotions and cared about the character.

He's hit two times, and is clearly down and incapacitated after the 2nd hit. The armor at most let him tank 1 blaster hit - which clearly still injured him - more than anybody else.

>Do you want screencaps for proof?

Dropping on the 2nd hit instead of the 1st is not "tanking" by any reasonable standard. In Star Wars, if you get shot, it's going to really suck for you, armor or no.

Noob question here, is there any real difference to the FFG RPGs other than focus? Like can you mix AoR, EotE, and F&D to have mixed party characters and not have to do any conversion work?

well, he survived

>can you mix
Yes

We do it all the time in my group

The newish Vader comic called Darth Vader. It's pretty good.

So does this guy. Blaster hits aren't always fatal. In fact, this guy and Baze took hits to their upper left chest, just under the collarbone. Basically the same place. And they both survived. They were also both down on the ground and clearly out of the fight shortly afterwards.

I have a question for those of you here who play Armada. Friend of mine has the core set for armada and the irregular squadrons pack and plays rebels. I got the imperial squadrons pack and an Imperial Star destroyer. Looking to get him a rebel ship for Christmas so he doesn't feel so under gunned in starship firepower, any recommendations? Been eyeing the Assault Frigate MKII because they were cool in Empire at War.

Followup question, did FFG sell them as separate and complete games just as a cash grab? There doesn't seem much reason they couldn't have just been splats for a single core game.

Goddamn it. Upper chest; same place, just opposite sides of the body. Clearly torso hit.

>Sorry, I mirrored where Baze actually got hit until I went back and recounted the number of times he got shot, just to make sure I didn't miscount in

Is that Kanye West?

Get him a Star Destroyer and name it after the captured ones from Dark Empire. Nothing else is going to come close, save for maybe the MC90.

Rebels are *supposed* to be outgunned as shit.

you could compile it, but then it would have to cut out all the lore sections, which are actually fun to read

otherwise it would be 1200 pages long

Yeah probably. But the focus of each game is a bit different. Similar to what they did with 40krpg

AOR is more Rebellion Fighting focused
EotE is more Murderhobo focused
F&D is more Force/Lore focused.

I think that might just be how the Rebels do. The trick is to realize that for all their firepower the big Imperial ships handle like bricks and cost an arm and a leg.

I don't think so. He was never onscreen beating up Jyn.

>was it just me, or did Felicity Jones playing Jyn look a LOT like Sarah Michelle Gellar (with dyed hair)?

I don't exactly expect anything from the Rebels to be able to outgun an ISD short of New Republic EU ships, but what are opinions on the larger Alliance warships?

All the lights are green, sir.

Where's that homebrew starfighter module you guys like so much around here? And can someone tell a noob why you have that module in the first place?

Read Catalyst for more Krennic fun.

because regular starfighter combat is a recipe for TPKs

I'm familiar with the generic complaint. I was hoping for more of a detailed descripion alongside the PDF in question; I'm not intricately familiar enough with the game to understand exactly how it's so dangerous.

RAW, shields are next to useless, so any solid hit can one-shot almost any ship. Which makes it awfully easy to TPK a PC fighter unit. /swg/ has created several house-rule fixes for the issue; here's Emperor Norton's.

an A-wing has 1 defence and 2 armor
the average attack has a difficulty of 2 dice, upgraded to 3 if the A-wing takes evasive maneuvers
as long as the enemy is rolling at least 3 dice, your A-wing is dead, since a single hit from a TIE fighter can easily knock it dead, since it deals has 6 damage, twin-linked

so basically playing instagib on quake

Here's another.

And a third proposed solution. Use whichever suits you best.

well, in X-wing, shields are just as tough as hull, although at that point they are just extra hitpoints

So topic for discussion, what are peoples thoughts on the new movements being brought into XWM.
They started with the basics, but introduced stops, S-loops, T-roll, and now the reverse.

My thoughts.
S-loops and t-rolls are kinda varients on the k-turn, as you end up basically facing backward. The difference is that they give you a lot of lateral movement on top of that, so rather than setting you up to return from a joust to do it again, you set up a flank.
The new techs that let you boost/barrell roll after those make it so you can close to facing your starting position head on.

The stop is a very different beast, it makes the battlefield move around the ship. It proably catches me the most off guard when I face it, as it really throws off the rhythm of the game.

I imagine the dead stop looking like an airplane deploying its airbrakes, causing the guy behind him to appear to shoot right past him

>Gauan Dahun

How the hell do I pronounce that?

Also, Imperial ghost?

Sorry for the late response. Keep in mind that for conflict you're going to have to keep fleets alive through multiple battles. It can be really important then to prioritize defensive upgrades as you receive the points for them.

I think you might want demolisher and APTs or Assault concussion missiles. I wouldn't suggest spending points on a gladiator until then. If you're dead set on having something like the gladiator, a raider would probably be better, especially with an anti-fighter upgrade or two to help the ties out in their job.

Keep in mind that when it comes to the corellian conflict, killing a few of your opponents things and avoiding much more fighting than that is a reasonable play considering fleets carry over between battles. Kill an ace squadron, they're scarred. Kill a scarred ace, its out for the rest of the campaign. Nothing like nailing Jan Ors early on and leaving your opponent's faction without one of their strongest aces.

>gah-hoo-ahn dah-hoon
That's the closest it seems to me.