Why is using magic not cheating?

Why is using magic not cheating?

So you are asking why is using magic not cheating?

what is he asking?

What are good counter-arguments to "Using magic is cheating" ?

A request to see the rulebook.

Not an argument

Some people are gifted with magic or potential for magic and can turn someone to ashes with a snap of their fingers. Others have to work hard for years to fight using their bodies and weapons. In this case, how is magic not considered cheating?
How can I be a magician in such a setting without feeling bad about it?

How does any of that make it cheating? Also I don't know, by not being a privilege-checking pussy?

Cheating implies there are rules one should obey. I have yet to witness such rules which would ban magic use for adventuring.

Cause using magic is in the rules.

someone can sneak attack a big enemy and kill it in one blow
others have to slug it out with them and lose health

how is that not cheating

Use a different setting where magic requires just as much effort to master as fighting

Why is the title of this shitpost the same as the body text?

>Trump got a million dollar loan
>How is this not cheating

>the fighter has enchanted full plate armor and a sword that can cleave through armor as if it were cloth and can punch out a dragon
>his enemies are goblins with dirty rags and rusty weapons
>how is this not cheating

>the cleric can literally call on his god for blessings and summon divine servants in the middle of battle

>the ranger can sniper her enemies before they get into range

>the warlock has a pact with an otherworldly entity

its called "git gud"

The only people with any interest in a fair fight are those that have a clear advantage in a fair fight

Huh? In what context?

There is no context.

Because it's in the rulebook.

If there's no context, there are no rules, either. Hence: not cheating.

Because being big is not cheating either.

>Some people are gifted with intelligence or knowledge and can pass a test without learning.
>Others have to work hard for years to learn using books and tutoring.
>How is being gifted not cheating?
You seem like someone who would have ample opportunity to feel this unfortunate.

cheating is in the rulebook too, if it is a good rulebook.

You don't believe it, but you're right.

Common sense

You didn't have to work for your gift and should feel good about it. Success breeds jealousy.

It's not cheating if you can rewrite the rules

Yes, which mean cheating is fine.

He asked a question

I think that's the definition by which a rulebook fails

>Some people are gifted with strength or potential for strength and can turn someone inside out with a flex of their muscles. Others have to work hard for years to study using their intellect and cunning. In this case, how is strength not considered cheating?
m8 there are arguments that magic is unfair in some systems: the fact that people are born with or develop different aptitudes isn't one of them.

Because it's allowed.

Yet OP is arguing that being born with magical aptitude is unfair in-setting

What did he mean with this???

>How can I be a magician in such a setting without feeling bad about it?
>Caster privilege
>You can't be racist against mages, racism is prejudice+power
>Muggle lives matter
>My thief son is a good boy who dindu nuffin
>Mage guilt

Some people are talented and can master skills with a snap of their fingers. Others have to work hard for years. In this case, how is talent not considered cheating?
How can I be a talented without feeling bad about it?

Hot damn, I want to strangle the smug out of this creature.

The Gods use magic, are you saying they are cheating?

Because anyone can use magic. That's like asking if having legs is cheating.

GUL'DAN CHEATS! NO HONOR!

That's actually a surprisingly insightful piece of commentary

How is fighting someone physically weaker or even slightly less skilled than you not cheating?

Now instead of being a scrawny weakling fighting a big dude with a sword, you're a scrawny weakling who can actually defend himself by shooting lightning. Why should you care about a fair fight outside of a duel or something, anyway? If it's a matter of life or death, you should be more concerned with killing him before he kills you.

Because that's not the definition of cheating anywhere ever. Usain Bolt keeps winning races, and is clearly more physically and potentially mentally skilled at racing than his opponents. But as long as all his accomplishments are within the rules of the competition, it's not cheating.

Your argument, paraphrased, is "They're cheating because they're playing better than me"

I want to creampie the smug out of her.

Why is using a sword not cheating?

Because the other cheaters are throwing fucking fireballs.

How can it be a truly "fair" fight if one side has an advantage?

But I agree with you, "fairness" is usually more about limiting a challenge to a particular set of restrictions usually to the benefit of one party.

In setting where mages are born with full effortless control of all manner of magical abilities with no training whatsoever? Can they hurl spells with pinpoint precision that would put the finest sniper to shame? Is there no cost or limit to their power?

Then yes in such a convoluted scenario magic would be "cheating" but the world probably would have ended long ago from the apocalyptic tantrums of wizard babies.

>But as long as all his accomplishments are within the rules of the competition, it's not cheating.
And is there a rule against magic in life?

Your argument, paraphrased, is "it's cheating because the mages are playing better me" :^)

So explosives are cheating?

So someone with magic is cheating versus someone without while someone with a sword is cheating versus someone without.

Who says it isn't?

Because if every competition were absolutely fair in every way, everything would end in a draw.l and there'd be no point.

Yep, fairness is kind of a bullshit concept humans made up that's often counterproductive in its actual application.

Why do you think real life is fair?

I agree, OP is dumb, and the question this thread is based on is stupid.

To be fair, the op seems like some sort of bait rather than a serious question that they expected a productive answer to.

Yes, it's called physics.

Because cheating is subjective. Cheating merely means using all methods at your disposal, even the ones that aren't usually expected.

Its only cheating in a context where there were rules saying not to use it. otherwise its just having an advantage and using it

Wizards spend years and years training. Sorcerers have to practice to keep their powers under control. Warlocks? Warlocks are cheating.

It's my job and it's a skill I worked hard at if you put more effort into this than you do at bitching then you might not have such reason to bitch.

My games have magic but it's never accessible to players. Only boss-tier enemies have any kind of low level magic and the details are kept hazy and poorly understood. Supernatural shit is only interesting in a horror context imo

>>the warlock has a pact with an otherworldly entity
>>how is this not cheating
That is cheating though, but that's the point

So magic in a fictional fantasy world is "cheating" because it's against the "rules" of physics in the real non-fictional world?

Are you autistic?

Considering a fake world isn't more important than the real world, and "we" do set all the standards, it doesn't matter what a fictional world says is proper or not.

Magic is a violation of reality, it warps space time to violate and go against physics, and goes about things completely unnaturally despite how much shit the author can pull out of their ass to say other wise.

Magic is infact, not only cheating, but insulting to absolutely everything mankind and the universe has ever worked towards, ever. It doesn't matter if you're "having fun", your breaking the rules, insulting existence itself, and spitting in the face of the hard work and efforts of trillions upon trillions of individual beings, objects, concepts, and others that have worked to make everything what it is now.

Every magic user should feel bad, very bad. Actual Monks and actual Souls are okay because they peacefully co-exist with the Universe at large. I'm not coming back in this thread, you guys do whatever, I guess. I'm sick of all your shit anyway.

The laws of physics are the laws of physics, user. But magic ignores that. Mages impose their will on reality, placing their desires above the stability of the universe. They chip away at nature itself, leaving it just a little more fractured with every spell, until you have things like dragons and chimeras running around and hostile realities inimical to our own trying to crawl their way in through the cracks.

So it's impossible to imagine a fictional fantasy world with different physical properties?

Your personal version of the fictional concept of "magic" is the only valid one?

If you're the op then you can have your personal fiction be whatever you want but then you've already answered your own question; magic is cheating in your personal fiction because you decided it's cheating.

>everything is autism
When will this meme die?

>i'm tone deaf
>how are naturally-proficient singers not cheating?

>Nearly 2017
>Still being a Technocrat
>Still not embracing reality deviant master race

Stay salty, Technocuck.

Most settings have wizards working hard for years studying tomes and scrolls to learn that magic. Very few settings have magic be powerful overnight, sure you're born with a gift but a powerful wizard has to put time and effort into honing that gift into something powerful.

Dragon Age has wizards banned and locked up in Hogwarts unless until they're needed for war. Then they're pulled out on a leash, made to rain fire upon their foes and locked back in Hogwarts.

Being unable to imagine differing opinions and thinking your version of fantasy is the only valid one seems pretty fucking autistic.

>burns and his jumbles
Is that still a thing on the Simpsons?

>go against physics
>The laws of physics are the laws of physics, user. But magic ignores that.
The laws of physics are descriptive, not prescriptive. If magic exists, it follows the laws of physics by definition.

It is.

There's a doujin of that happening several dozen times