/tgesg/ - Elder Scrolls General

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Vehk and Vehk

previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c5YmJ9yGbxinK2PI2hrnb71AjflnGL7dRuyBOUuwwbI/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll begin with a few questions

Why did the Dwemer zap themselves out of existence but the Altmer want to zap EVERYONE out of existence? Also, why did the Dwemer feel the need to de-volve the Falmer so hard? I know it has something to do with their disappearance

And, the Dunmer are more Lorkhanic in the fact that they believe existing in Mundus is good because overcoming strife and all, is that what Azura's curse really was, taking them a step away from the "purity" of being aldmer and the metaphysical Aldmeris?

>Why did the Dwemer zap themselves out of existence but the Altmer want to zap EVERYONE out of existence?
Because you don't understand shit about Dwemer and Altmer goals.

>why did the Dwemer feel the need to de-volve the Falmer so hard?

There was some theory I liked thrown in here not long ago.

Skiyrim Dwemer need white soul gems to power their contraptions, so they were actually farming the Falmer for souls, but they had to devolve them to do so.

thanks for that informative post

Well, sort of. But not for those reasons. Alduin is the Anuic ploy to reset time before any Padomaic elements can achieve Amaranth. If Alduin wasn't around, the kalpa (well, there wouldn't even be kalpas) would just continue until someone did. The significance of stopping Alduin is that this possibility is now open.

>masturbating to muh glorious past and complaining about Numi wrecking their asses
That's entirely and singularly what the Thalmor is.

They're trying.

The Thalmor and the Dwemer basically want the same thing on separate ends of the Anuic/Padomaic spectrum. Dwemer want to become a god, Altmer want to go back to when they were all gods.

The Dwemer saw what they did to the Falmer as a mercy. This ties into the whole divinity through sensory deprivation angle.

Yes, you're spot on with the Azura thing.

But Nerevarine's reachable power level in game is so much notably higher. I know that's more system related but feel like a guy who can be immune to literally everything a

Different goals, dwemer were turbo assholes. Probably yes.

I'm not sure what happened there.

But I meant a guy who can be immune to anything and craft any power level of magic that he wishes would be the stronger one.

The whole white/bacl soul thing is actually made up. Like the schools of magic. It's just a label.

>Alduin is the Anuic ploy to reset time before any Padomaic elements can achieve Amaranth
Why not just leave it to the Thalmor then, since they were working on a much more permanent and long-term Anuic solution? Of course, Alduin winning does set Lorkhan's plan and the Arena's development towards Amaranth back, but it doesn't stop it, it just restarts it. And if you can't stop the guys who want to stop Lorkhan's vision forever, then isn't it better to restart and give the Padomaic another chance?

I think the Nerevarine having more bullshit alchemy, enchanting, being able to jump over volcanos etc. is more of a game design thing, and not to be considered an accurate reflection of the difference in potential power between protagonists. Or I'm wrong, in which case the Nerevarine is far more powerful, of course.

Yeah, thats why I said thats quite possibly more system related than actual power but TES is weird so it might not be.

Because the Aedra don't have the agency or authority to care about that. The Thalmor or any political going-ons is so far below their level of possible interest that they can't do anything about it other than the times they are directly manipulated by mortals into doing so (see: the middle dawn).

They set their fail-safes up at Convention, past that there's no much they can do. The reason why Padomaic elements can more readily interact with the Mundus is because Lorkhan was sundered just so in the way that allows him to act as such (Shezarrines, Void Ghost, Heart of Lorkhan).

The Thalmor are, I think, largely unanticipated. But the options are never achieving it as long as the kalpic cycle continues, or at least having a chance and risking things like the Thalmor or Numidium.

>That's entirely and singularly what the Thalmor is.
Not *that* past. I meant the whole high culture thing. Also, in late 3E they've become decadent, with degenerates like the Beautiful turning up.

Now that Altmer have only one way out of Mundus they've become determined and relentless, that's 100 times better.

Does anyone have pic related with more resolution?

Thanks in advance

That was fast.

wow

The Altmer don't want to destroy everything. Their plan is to set things back to the way they were before the material world was ever created. They want to make sure it never existed and that it never comes to exist again.
The Dwemer on the other hand likely intended for the entire universe to be destroyed, but this was prevented through the intervention of Nerevar and others.

All your other questions can only really be answered through assumption.

fuck, thanks again

>The Nerevarine sacrificed him/herself to stop the Numidium
Never forget.

I wish Skyrim was more open vertically.

The Thalmor aren't a political threat, they're a metaphysical threat every bit as bad and real as Dagoth Ur ever was. I doubt they're unanticipated as well, since everything in the Arena is merely another layer of the same conflict, where Stasis and Chaos can battle it out in every shape and form. At the very least Lorkhan was completely aware that a scheme like the Thalmor's would likely take place.

Yeah, you're right. And they're just another part of the conspiracy that stretches back to the dawn through innumerable kalpas.

But that doesn't mean the gods are just going to come down and stop it. At the most, an aspect or avatar will intervene in some manner.

Because that's the Endeavour.

I think we all keep forgetting that the Dwemer were not united under a single goal. Wasn't it pretty much just Kagrenac and his cronies who were doing the universe-ending stuff?

I remember reading somewhere that Dumac wouldn't really be for that, but I can't recall my source, so take that as you will.

Dumac was friends with Nervear and not a total xenophobe. Take that as you will.

I like Morrowing

Yes, you're right. When I'm referring to 'Dwemer' and 'Altmer' I'm more just making a generalization. Obviously not all members of the race were working towards or supported these goals.

>And they're just another part of the conspiracy that stretches back to the dawn through innumerable kalpas.
Are you saying that the Thalmor are uh, interkalpic?

Why are people still talking in the other thread?

The LDB will have nothing more to do with the next game than the Nerverarine had to do with Oblivion or the CoC with Skyrim.

Assume for a moment the LDB doesn't get dragonbroke or vanished after Skyrim's events, that they stick around and stay active. What do you think are some interesting ideas for what could happen with them afterwards, depending on the in-game variables?

Like, for example. If the LDB is an Imperial, and served as a vital figure in the reunification of Skyrim, could they return to Cyrodiil and spin their deeds and prestige into a claim to the throne, asserting a right based on their dragonborn heritage?

Would a dunmer LDB return to Morrowind and rebuild? If the LDB was argonian, what would the Hist think of that, and what would they do about it?

If you wanted to set a game after Skyrim's events, as you probably would with most groups with people who got into the setting with that, it'd be an important question to answer, and you could get some plot hooks out of it.

Not the Thalmor themselves, just the events that have lead up to them (and their formation). Nu-Hatta's "dawntime conspiracy."

Well, even then, you have the Aldmeri formwars where they were "as glorious dreugh."

>The LDB will have nothing more to do with the next game than the Nerverarine had to do with Oblivion or the CoC with Skyrim.
Literally nobody has suggested the Dragonborn would be part of the next game.

Yeah, but people in the previous thread were kinda like, "Yeah the LDB could solo the Thalmor, why shouldn't he?"

Get assassinated by the Thalmor eventually, especially if they tried to take the Ruby Throne.

Also i don't think the Hist get much of a say in the Argonian Dragonborn. One assumes that Akatosh would have essentially jacked an argonain from their control in that case.

What do they call assimilated Argonians again? There's a term for it.

He'd just play chess in Apocrypha for all eternity.

No, but someone suggested that the Dragonborn, a genderless, raceless, characterless entity with no real compelling elements somehow defeat the Thalmor in the lore, which would somehow be even worse writing than the Great War itself.

Really, the heroes should always step out of history after their story is over. Their player-determined nature makes them terrible characters.

Lukiul.

"People" were probably me, and misrepresenting my arguments for the possibility of further Dragonborn involvement in the world post-Skyrim just because you don't actually have any arguments that conclusively refute that possibility, is just plain dishonest. I mean. chill bro, we're just talking about potential plot stuff in a game series.

Eh, huh? It's not a big deal to speculate about these things, but it is conclusively refuted.

As long as it's acknowledged that it won't happen, talking about it or what your character would do is fine, even if it's basically just fanfiction at that point.

The answer to what the LDB will do after Skyrim is: whatever your character would do.

>but it is conclusively refuted
Nigger how. That prophesy? It didn't even mention Miraak, and yet the Dragonborn still fucked him up.

What do you mean?

The reason Bethesda won't do anything more with the LDB, like they didn't do anything more with the CoC or Nerevarine is for the purpose of not infringing upon the players. This is why the main character always vanishes after their game. This is reflected in the metaphysical concept of the Prisoner-Hero, summed up in that quote by Zurin, and is part of the wacky post-modernist aspect of Morrowind.

>The answer to what the LDB will do after Skyrim is: whatever your character would do.
Every TES game aside from arguably Arena disproves that thought.

Please elaborate. I'm not saying "your character IS the canonical choice, and wherever they did is canon!" I'm saying Bethesda simply won't confirm or deny most things. Of course some of it will be, like "they stopped Dagon" or whatever.

whatever they did*

I trust Bethesda to stay completely true to the Hero vanishing without further involvement about as much as I trust Todd Howard.

So you have complete faith

Why? Every single game in the franchise follows that formula.

I want to believe.
No other game has ended with the presence of an even worse enemy quite possibly on the verge of complete victory, either. Isn't the Dragonborn the first Shezzarine PC as well?

>No other game has ended with the presence of an even worse enemy quite possibly on the verge of complete victory
That's completely irrelevant. For the record, though, the Oblivion Crisis is foreshadowed heavily in Morrowind. It's only a few years later too.

>Isn't the Dragonborn the first Shezzarine PC as well?
No, there's nothing to indicate this.

But the CoC is in Skyrim. Kinda.

But not as the CoC, and it's still vague.

>the Oblivion Crisis is foreshadowed heavily in Morrowind
It is? I don't remember that.

Yeah, once in Bloodmoon and once in Tribunal.

>When the dragon dies, the Empire dies.
>Where is the lost dragon's blood, the Empire's sire?
>And from the womb of the void, who shall stem the blood tide?
>So long as the Blood of the Dragon Prince runs strong in her rulers, the glory of the >Empire shall extend in unbroken years.
>His heart's blood bleeds in darkness
>For once the portals are opened, who shall shut them upon the rising tide?
>For Lord Dagon forever reborn in blood and fire from the waters of Oblivion.
>Find him... and close shut the marble jaws of Oblivion.

>We realize that the end of the era will bring many changes. We believe that the gates of Oblivion will open, and the multitude of daedra will roam this world freely. Some might tell you that this is a good thing, that we are descended from the daedra and it will be a return to the natural order of things. I know differently, though. The coming age will be a time of great horror.

A lot of things are foreshadowed in morrowind, the crisis was just one of them and turned out to be the "correct" one.

Yeah, but that's pretty fucking explicit.

>tfw oblivion completely threw out all the stuff about the emperor's sons being clones and the absolute political shit show that was going to go down once the emperor died

There's always the Province Cyrodiil mod.

I never knew about that first one, and I guess I never paid attention to or connected the dots with the second.

Nerevar also ate Dumac's heart if varieties of faith is to be believed

How do I not remember this?

Because too much fucking unreliable lore everywhere.

Unreliable?

That's a big plus.

I just figured I'd remember something as crazy as that.

For what reason?

Just felt a bit peckish.

So has anyone made any monster stats for uesrpg?

If anything an ETA for when that and conjuration is coming out would be nice.

We're working on both of those things as fast as possible. I'm hoping to have it out within a month or two, or less if we really go hard.

No it is not. One could argue that the diference between Petty and Grand soulgems is purely game mechanics, but you can't soultrap man or mer in white soulgems no matter how big the gem is.
On top of that, in oblivion there is a whole process to "corrupt" white soulgems into black ones, so that there is a difference is undeniable.

Well in the meantime, since game is starting pretty quickly, is there a "quick build" type of thing I could do? Like a baseline stat block i could just adjust? I know most of the monsters in TES and could make something up for their abilities (Like Trolls HP regen, +1d4 HP per round or something unless damaged by fire)

As far as I can tell, having a baseline of 50 TN for an average encounter's combat stats seems alright, since most pc's will be in the 40-60 range.

That's not unreasonable. One of our guys actually did a test Troll profile. Let me go find it for you.

What's your favourite monster?

I'm a big fan of atronachs. Hence why im super excited for conjuration to come out lol.

kk, just found it. It's a picture of his notebook, but it's fairly legible.

Legit.

Thanks much, Seht! And good luck on finishing up the next book, I'll be waiting.

Delusion is a powerful thing.

No problem. For reference, the values in parenthesis next to the skill TNs are the TNs for those skills when it frenzies.

This beast apparently gave a 5 man 2500 party some trouble. A few wounds, one guy close to death.

> i dont understand this

> thats because you dont understand it

Good post, retard

Posting this here, it's the list of players/GMs for UESRPG. It can also be found in the Discord under the l4g tab.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c5YmJ9yGbxinK2PI2hrnb71AjflnGL7dRuyBOUuwwbI/edit#gid=0

>no one in my time zone
>only one close

Ayyyylmao

Honestly for now, most NPC profiles are easily used straight out of 2nd ed, you'll just have some book keeping with translating the new values of things. Like the stat lines are workable but you'll have to do some derivative stat recalulation on your end, plus taking the nearest equivalent arms and armour from the new armoury.

It sounds daunting but isn't too much work. We're working on developing the Inhabitants book as we speak. I can send some Goblin notes I ran a few sessions back if you're interested

>pst
>cst
>est
>ets

>On top of that, in oblivion there is a whole process to "corrupt" white soulgems into black ones, so that there is a difference is undeniable.
Isn't it when Mannimarco eclipses Arkay?

>is more of a game design thing
When Vivec shows Nerevar a Redguard glitch I don't think there's a real difference.

>and risking things like the Thalmor or Numidium.
I thought Numidium was a good guy, crushed a false prophet and everything.

Precisely

So you read the Prophet of Landfall but not C0DA?

>So you read the Prophet of Landfall but not C0DA?
Yes.

This is 2deep4me. I've only read a little about the dreugh, and nothing about the Nu-Hatta.

What a shame the actual game didn't live up to the concept art.

There were so many awesome things in Adamowicz's art too. The floating sacrificial rocks, the massive overland nordic ruins, the other Dwemer armor designs, the unusual trap designs... Ah, what could have been.

Concept art in games is always fun to browse.
Yeah there's the "what could have been", but then there's the "oh hey I know what that is!"

>hey
>lets make the coolest house in the game
>and its just an inn

Now it's the coolest inn in the game. Especially with the snow.

What are dragon shouts? I dont get them. The more I play skyrim the more I dont get them. Like, magic works by using the stuff of aetherius to effect Nirn, but how do dragon shouts work? So are the effects of the shout a "tower" for the "stone" which is the concept used in the Thumm? What makes it all work? Help my lore junkies! your my only hope!

The Thu'um is a form of tonal magic. Rather than traditional forms of magic based on magicka bled through the holes Magnus and his Get tore into Aetherius, tonal magic is a direct manipulation of the Aurbis. In the case of the Thu'um, it is imposing the will of the Tongue onto the Aurbis (THERE IS FIRE HERE NOW, etc).

Other forms of tonal magic are tonal architecture and the Shehai Shen She Ru, belonging to the Dwemer and Yokudans respectively.

So the Nords, Redguard, and Dwemer are the ones who can be said to know Aurbis the best?

But then why restrict the Thu'um to one language? is this a game constraint or is it something to do with the words themselves?

Thank you for responding, I'll look up those references. ^_^

Only via their manipulation of it, which is cultural and learned. So when a Tongue uses the Thu'um, he's not more aware of his station in the Aurbis anymore than he knows how to manipulate it in the way he was taught - which, in this case, would be the shout.

Does that make sense?

>But then why restrict the violin to one shape?
Nord is the percussion section, Dwemer the brass, and Redguards the woodwinds.

On a technical level, nothing, I think. It's both tradition and function that it's spoken in Dovahzul. The dragons are the original users of it and the ones who taught men how to use it (according to some, other times it's Kyne who does it). This also dies into the dragons super high drive to dominate, and impose his will.

So, it might be possible to do it in another language, but it's not traditionally done that way, and would probably be harder to do. The Akaviri were said to have an ability that I forget the name of that sort of seems like the Thu'um.

No like, in the games, the thu'um is only ever done in dragonspeak. So can you shout in english, or is there something specific about dragonspeak that lets it invoc the Thu'um?

Oh, and yeah, this is partially a game constraint.

The Thu'um would be a lot more powerful than you see in the games as well.