What's your favorite class to play?

What's your favorite class to play?

and why does class appeal to you personally?

For me it's either the Rogue or the Wizard.

Both classes give me lot's of versatility, the Rogue has lots of skills, the wizard has a great selection of spells. They're both sort of like Batman. The power of preparation.

For me it's the Cleric. A strong chassis, full casting, all-around pretty versatile. I tend to hop around a bit and play with groups I'm not familiar with, so being able to slot in pretty easily is a thing I pay attention to.

Illusionist girls that wear illusionary clothes.

I am in the same boat
but I tend to combine the two classes into one

I call it the Agility Wizard
I really like the idea of a highly mobile and agile spellcaster
teleports all around the battlefield and utilizes both close range combat and short to medium range spells to help control the battlefield and deal damage

I rather enjoy the straight up fighter. Played it in every edition I've done. Something about being the normal seeming dude in a world where people can alter reality at their whim is interesting. That and those same people get really sad when I'm not standing right next to them and get 9 attacks on the things trying to eat their faces.

Paladins. Paladins and Paladins.
The mixture of just a bit of magic, a lot of martial ability, and the absolute, righteous, conviction of a badass militant priest mixes together to make the most interesting class for me.

Who's in the middle?

I'm so glad that i'm going to be able to play my first game when my one wraps up, shit's gonna be so cool, i'm gonna play an indianna jones style rogue.

Now that I think about it, pretty much all of the classes that need a decent Charisma other than Sorcerer. Not just because I want to be the face or anything, but the combination of Bard, Paladin, and Warlock covers most of the support/utility feel I like to have while still being able to do some damage when needed.

That and my buddy likes the play the "thinks with his fists" characters and yes having a decent charisma can help calm down the townsfolk after he destroys the market in a fit of rage over a jester.

Warlock, specifically the 3.5 lock. 4th ed lock was trash, and 5th ed lock is ok. But the 3.5 lock was the best.

Locks are like good vodka, great on its own but you can mix it with anything and it will still be good. One of my favorite combos was lock/fighter or lock/rouge. Gave any character a tonne of utility, versatility, and extra damage. Plus a nifty occult feel to them.

i would say druid cuz of the bare feet

Wizard, Cleric, or Druid.

Being objectively better than everyone else means the other PCs are essentially instant and permanent minions. What are they going to do about it? It's great.

Rangers
They're not the best, but having the right amount of utility with or without bow is great.
>Battle Badger doesn't hurt either

Monks, ever since I watched Fist of the North Star. There's so much flavor in the class that makes it fun, not to mention how ridiculous you can become. I haven't played one in a while, but I'm gonna have so much fun when I do.

Inquisitor. I love how the class, atleast in most Systems has combat ability, spellcasting, and very good social option, you get eveything. Also the concept can represent many ideas. You dont need to devote your life to a god, but can use an ideal. And if thats not allowed just dedicate your cause to the god of Adventuring/Stories/Travel/etc and just do what an adventuerer would do.

Paladin, Cleric, Inquisitor, etc...

I was raised without faith and exploring it through characters is really, really fun.

For 3.5, it's the Archivist. The combination of lore and good spellcasting really does it for me. It's really built up as a plot hook class anyways, so it's pretty popular for GMs as well.

Admittedly I always enjoy a monk, but that's because I know enough about the system to reduce its MAD down to 3 or 2 stats depending on available splats. It also has a lot of splat additions that give it nice flavor options, which can always be balanced out with some dedicated min/maxing.

Shaman, I like the flavor of speaking with spirit and all that. It's basically the right mix between cleric and druid.

Wizards and Rogues

Cause I like to pretend I'm smart and useful to people.

Priest of Talos is always fun. Lightning bolts are my gods will made manifest peasants he waters your crops with his storms and strikes down your enemy with his wrath.

Warlord, because 4e was best e.

I didn't choose the Rogue Life. The Rogue Life chose me.

I just like playing Professional Thieves, Skilled Outlaws, and Rebels. Within reason. Can't fuck over the party, then I'd be a terrible Rogue.

Bards, because I like flexibility, knowledge, and I love telling stories.

Any of the psionic classes. Psionics is such a fun mechanic. I'm surprised it isn't implemented more often.

I guess I'm boring as fuck, and also the first so far: but fighter/warrior/that-guy-who-can-hit-things-really-hard-with-a-pointy-stick.
Nothing beats the feeling of being on par with ancient demons and great wizards by sheer virtue of your brawn and dedication alone.

That and knights are the coolest shit, even before sliced bread.

Sword & Shield/Spear Fighter
I just enjoy the normal dude fighting against dark shit motif.

see
It's okay, you have a stick waving friend.

Gender bent Edwin Odesserion after a certain experiment went wrong in game

My snagas.

Playing paladin is usually fun and its a nice way to work your imagination

In Pathfinder? Magus. I like the flavor of a warrior-scholar who spends his time when not kicking ass reading books. I also love dumping retarded amounts of damage down someone's throat with electricity.

Everything else? Ranger. I dig the aesthetic, the wanderer archetype, the sword and bow combo, etc.

Fighter-like or Paladin-like classes.

I like playing characters that are dependable bulwarks for their group. I also have a preference for characters that are powerful in melee by virtue of physical might, martial prowess, steely determination and heroism.

Paladins have that whole righteousness thing going on for them, and smiting and healing are nice additions. Also they remind me of my first time with Diablo 2.

>That pic
Are they all halflings? Are there ... drow halflings? Why is the archer wearing a skirt so tight?

Same boat as you guys. Favorite sort of character to play is the straight-up Fighter type, and any time I can swing it I try to make it a Brawler sort.
Mostly 'cause I hate playing Monks, and there are one or two ways of doing a punchy Fighter or Barb on equal footing with one.

Mah African brutha.

That's my favorite too, but I prefer emphasizing rogue over wizard. A magic-rogue who uses magic to supplement his speed and stealth.

Although I do love just playing straight rogue. I like smart and clever types, so mages are fun, but I sorta feel like I'm cheating by relying on the magic more than my wits. I love playing a rogue-type who survives despite his lack of resources.

Rogue, with less focus on the stabbing and the lockpicking and more focus on the fast talking and con-artisting.

Something about getting by in a world filled with magic bullshit that could destroy you with a thought using only quick wits and a sharp tongue appeals to me. When I first started playing characters like that i couldnt pull it off but I've gotten pretty decent at it and its very rewarding to me.

Wizard, scholar type. I aspire to be academic worker, so my character would do what I do but it gives spells like fireballs.

>Gender bent Edwin Odesserion after a certain experiment went wrong in game
>wrong
Implying that this wasn't what spell was supposed to do.

Edwina I think

Sorcerer
That is assuming I'd ever get to play.

The idea of a natural talent built mostly on willpower and charisma appeals to me. I also have a survivalist bent so the idea of being able to do without equipment/other trappings is cool.

It depends. In most fantasy I will play a Druid.

But Sometimes (Pathfinder) I like to be an Investigator. No matter which I love to play Grumpy old Men types who have bitter streaks and mean habits.

Bard. Always Bard.

They've got a +3 vs the Fourth Wall, and their abilities really reward creative thinking (especially when illusions get involved).

Spellswords/swordmages. Mechanically they usually end up being underwhelming, but fucking hell are they flashy and cool.

Bard. Gimme dat full supporting stlye with the crunch of funky sounds and charisma traits beyond infinity.

Also I can pickup my guitar irl and jam/tell stories whenever we are in city to gain some cash

I dunno. I really like mixing it up more than playing as one type of character over and over.

But if I were to pick one, I guess I'd go an illusionist or a rogue who dabbles in illusion magic. I like being tricky and figuring out clever solutions to problems.

Either that or the warlord (or closest equivalent). I like playing the support role and warlords have the most personality.

Monk

Oh yes. This is correct.

My first DnD-ish character was my NWN1 character, who was a Rogue/Wizard. So terribly poorly optimized. No prestige classes as options. But I still loved playing as the guy, even if the most difficult fights were resolved by either burning through my stock of scrolls while waiting for my NPC companion to finish swinging his preposterous double-axe.

I've since refined why I like it down to the concept of a mage with physical presence. Whether with spells or arrows, I don't like characters who can't get close to the interesting stuff. And magic is just a thing that you always want to have, isn't it? I mean, who doesn't want to be a wizard? Or a jedi, for that matter?

mah nigga

Fighter.

Wizards are almost always broken to a degree they aren't fun to play, and I honestly don't want a bunch of crunch shit to deal with anymore. I roleplay for the roleplaying aspect, not the dice.

Wizard, always wizard. If a game has magic, that's the only thing I'll play, and if it doesn't, I pick the closest thing. I just never get tired of slinging spells and special abilities. Weapons just seem boring in comparison. I do like to pair it off with a ranged weapon in vidya, though.

Well, this is a contrast.

Druid, I always end up saving everyone's ass because they never come prepared. And I know heaps about nature and medicine so my character can be quite resourceful and fleshed out.

Wizard in general, Minionmancer in particular. Summoner/Necromancer/Enchanter, I just enjoy Good Luck I'm Behind Seven Proxies: The Character.

I will settle for one proxy in the interest of playability.

I prefer Fighters and Paladins.

As it so happens both classes appeal to me.

Pretty much anything that lets me be a magical blacksmith. I like tinkering and using construction/crafting rules. So D&D/Pathfinder leads to Artisans, Star Wars is a star ship designer, and Shadowrun is a Sorcerer...

I trend towards Clerics usually.

I like the faith aspect without the stereotypical strictness of the Paladin. I can also usually make gishes which again fits in with the Paladin idea by mixing martial ability and divine magic, but without the zealotry. My favorite concept is the Good Necromancer and cleric does the idea of Gravekeeper/Undertaker better than a more arcane source like Wizards, Sorcerers, or Warlocks.

They just offer so many distinct options, and that class alone can hit all the aesthetic and mechanical archetypes I enjoy.

I like playing warlocks, monks and mages in that order. I'm not a very powerful, strong or intelligent person in real life so I'm really drawn to the idea of someone bargaining for magic. It feels like stealing fire from the gods. I like monks because I like the idea of being a self contained mobile death machine. Emphasis on the mobility. Generally I like mages because you can be a great utility castor and I like the idea of being able to help out the party and master non combat related situations, kind of like a magic version of Isaac clark.

I typically enjoy the assassin archetype. It's like playing mental chess with the DM. How do you approach your target? What weapon do you use? How do you dispose of the evidence? I like seeing just how much I can get away with before the NPCs start to catch on.

Sadly, most GMs have preconcieved notions about them and always expect the edgiest of edgelords, when in actuality the best assassins are typically very bland so that they can blend in better.

For me, most spellcasters since I find more "freedom" and things to do with them.

Namely crafting magical gear and places.

I can do the same with martials but I have to trust the GM to not be stifling with that shit and most are.

The ones who don't give a fuck and tend to throw shit 2-6 CR bigger then us usually let me go build a druidic dungeon of my own.

Bard.

I like their versatility.

From a roleplaying standpoint, I guess I like their natural role as party face since it's a significant departure from my personality- I'm kind of reserved, generally.

If we're opening it up to Pathfinder classes, Alchemist.

I just fucking love the Alchemical aesthetic.

Is this a serious question?

Warblade, because it's a Fighter that isn't shit, has interesting abilities, and isn't straitjacketed.

Wild Magic Sorcerer!

Even if it's one of the weaker classes. The randomness is easy fun, I've purposely avoided reading the list of surges in the 5e PHB so that the effects come to me as a complete surprise.

you hear the story about illusion lil?
she had an illusion house on illusion hill
she had an illusion dog and cat
even had an illusion rat
and its alllllllll around my brain

Monk, Sorcerer, or Barbarian.

Necromancer. I like raising a family

thief
probably because i'm really anxious and the ability to hide from things is great. plus i like being creative about encounters and problem solving but i'm not super into magic.

Sorc. I like simplicity. There's no question as to what I'm going to do when I wake up; Imma blow shit up.

>Archivist
im playing one in my 3.5 game and really enjoying it
just the versatility and the fluff potential is great

Strong man martial.

Big muscles, bigger heart.

My most successful characters have been that archetype.

Except for that dread necromancer. (Fucking rick)

Despite Dex being universally more useful, people respond to the idea of an 8 foot tall **human** who can slug it out with beasts 8 times his size or more.

That lithe elf? First impression he's another elf. Talented, probably, but all eyes on the giant. The 'rogue' loves him.

All he has to do is walk into a room and everyone is distracted :p

The DM really played up how inhuman he was, with the term half-ogre being thrown around when people thought he couldn't hear.

Joke is, he also had the highest perception in the group.

GoT brawl perks are disgustingly effective. He was knocking out manticores and stronger than trolls.

He was cheesy but the flagging apart rallied around him and he ended up crowned emperor in whfbrpg due to the a combat of champions for the throne.

The class I, myself, would like to experience being, is probably a sorcerer. Fabulous cosmic powers at my fingertips is neat, and I love trying to figure out cool and unusual ways to use a limited toolkit with a little bit of everything in it.

When I actually play the game, I tend to gravitate toward simpler classes with fewer lookups and less bookkeeping, though. Some sort of ranged fighter is probably my next project.

This thread makes me happy Just folks talking about what they enjoy. It's like we're all here for the same reason :')

My divine brother

Paladin.

Because you always need someone who can give Johnny Evil a thrashing.

Just a big fucking tank. If it has a retarded amount of armor then I like it. The idea of walking around in hulking armor makes me wet. Pair it with a massive great sword or battle axe and you're good.

As I like to say, go big or go home.

if you played warhammer40k would you be a Tech Magos?

Rangers and Paladins.
Anything that is a balanced marital with a touch of something greater.
Overall I like being the fifth wheel of the party. I don't want to be the face, or the tank, or the healer, or highest dps. What I love doing is being off-tank, supplemental dps, emergency healing, or social support. When the main role taker is absent or out of commission for whatever reason I can step up into the role for a few rounds or days (depending on the context) until they return/recover, but I don't want to and can't replace them.
I don't want to be the centerpiece of any party role, just the oil that makes the whole team work smoother overall.

I've tried Clerics and Magi but they tend to be too spell-dependent.
The Pathfinder Warpriest is a nice 'alternative paladin' that leans more heavily on spellcasting than martial prowess.

Barbarians, Fighters, Rogues I enjoy the archetype, and love having them in my party, but they lack the flexibility of mixed classes.

I've always been a fan of characters who use both spells and swords to equal effect. Spellswords, Bladesingers, Swordmages, Magus, Eldritch Knights, all of that is my shit.

So, when I'm playing Pathfinder, which is what I mostly play, I'll usually roll up a Magus... or sometimes a Bard, if I'm feeling really cheeky.

Archivist was a classed I always wanted to try out in 3.5, but never got a chance to. I built a couple of Archivist NPC's, though. Those were neat.

>Necromancer.
>Raising a family.

Kek. I get it.

3.5 Ranger, I've liked the thought of using bows and being a wilderness savvy kinda person
PF: Inquisitor, I like judgements as battle enchantments from my god, divine casting, and still being able to wade into the fray
Shadowrun: Street Sam..... Explosions

just straight up fighter. I like the idea of some regular dude with a just a basic sword and gargantuan balls going up against magical horrors and monstrous beasts many magnitudes more powerful than him

At heart I'm a chuuni child, and my DM knows it. I like to play Dark Knight style characters, especially the sort that fell into darkness without entirely meaning to, and do their best to use it to improve the world rather than further damage it. (Usually with mixed success.)

Druid, I already like the sword wielding spellcaster type but I am also a fan of the nature types. It is not just casting spells, but the spells have an overall theme to them.

That and the animals, be a bear, summon a bear, charm a bear, and cast bear strength on the summoned tamed bear.

Wizard
Knowing the words and methods of pulling the threads that hold the tapestry of reality together to weave it to your will. I like the fantasy of it.

Bard. Preferably a human, male bard.

I like playing the face, I like poetry, I like narration.

Bard
Its the closest class to being weak but full of healing
and im a stereotypical heal slut

Mage-knight in all its varieties. I love the versatility in combat, and it's good to have some dank spells without being squishy.

But I'd like to try out some sort of support-y class soon, maybs a druid.

>gargantuan balls
mmmmmmmmmm yes please

Sorcerer so I can have magic powers, be pretty and have people like me unlike real life

I have too many favorites to count in fantasy. I conceptually love almost every conceivable class. But give me a tactician or similar non-combat high-influence class (Preferrably even non-magical) and I'm in.

In scifi, however, my favorite are more clear-cut. I love hackers and engineers to bits, and almost always play one (because I seldom get to play due to being one of the few GMs).

5e: Warlock, I love everything about it. Everything, seriously

PF: Monk, it's so fun and very customizable

Monk. Punching things is fun and I like the idea of playing a more spiritual character.

Back when I wasn't a forever-GM I really enjoyed fighter/clerics. Keeping myself and my buddies in the middle of the fight was a lot of fun.

No particular favorite class, but one very prominent trend. Building characters that do something fundamentally different from their strengths. Trying to find mechanical competence in fundamentally bad concepts entertains me well enough.

>wizard with zero offensive spells, bludgeons enemies to death and berates other wizards for being nancy boys for needing magic to get work done
>charming and good-natured martial-warlock, joyfully accepts his patron's will to consume other gods and has worked his jehovah's door-to-door routine down to a science
>scarred, imposing fighter, swore off needless killing and constantly attempts to reason with enemies, grapple-induced changes of heart are just the best

Fighter focused on damage(or a more specialized class for non-magical melee damage).
I've always liked going barebones into a complicated and varied world and although I love each and every class concept in their own way, I still find myself going for the sword saint-character whenever I can for a variety of personal reasons.

I detest playing a big dumb great-axe wielder though, I like to play fighters as philosophizing wanderers who dedicate their lives to honing their chosen discipline instead of the stereotype.

Rogues, Fighters, sometimes Rangers. I enjoy playing someone who can be a proper mix of brain and brawn.

Warlock, 3.5 style.

I'll take 5e cause the ton of cantrips and mask of many faces kinda makes up for it but it's not quite as good.

Spellcasting that you can perform always, even if it's weaker, is just awesome to me. Having a variety of options that you can mix-and-match together to suit the situation is great.

I'm a huge fan of always-available magic. Blinks, invisiblity, illusions, scorching hellfire blasts, and the greatness of being the guy with just one more trick in the bag never gets old.
It's kinda fun to mess around with other players and the DM when a big mouth causes trouble.

Also, weapon/armor summoning classes.
Pulling the biggest, baddest blade from nowhere and laying about with it is incredibly satisfying just from a flavor perspective.

I guess I just want a guy who can flick his wrist and do something impossible.