/STG/ - Star Trek General

All Hands Lost Edition

Previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
>mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

/stg/ Errata

The Adventures of the Ark Royal Crew (an /stg/ setting)
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal

The history of Klingon Civil Rights/Star Trek artwork (more /stg/ headcanon)
>klingonhistory.weebly.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8H1-XAambts
youtube.com/watch?v=nE5smAZERpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=X1bZH_VWVfc
youtube.com/watch?v=LA2nBZP3N48
youtube.com/watch?v=nBleglF94CA
1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=8GA0DU33jMk
sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Starbase
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10323483
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So besides Gene Commieberry's hatred of capitalism, for what reason is the Federation in a "Moneyless" economy in a world where you still cannot create something from nothing?

I don't think it's an expressly moneyless society. After all, the Picard vineyards have to sell to someone, and Federation citizens still take jobs as Freighter crews labourers etc.

I prefer to think that the Federation uses social ostracisation as a means to encourage people to work and that, in general, nearly everyone has some form of job within their society. We just don't see them because who the fuck wants to hear about Gerald Chauser, the junior-
city planner for New Berlin, Minnesota?

Might be interesting, though I'm a sucker for economics games and episodes and might not be the best indicator.

Oh, no doubt it could be interesting. If there's one thing we've learned from /STG/ it's that the minutiae of a setting can be just as engaging as a proper character arc. I'm just saying that there could be a complex economy to the Federation and we'd never no because the closest we get to economic discussion in the show is the "rules of acquisition".

I think as has been shown in episodes that the Feds can use a sort of cash but it has devolved into a banter and favor system to get the things you really want. Which I find funny and a bit sad since people even in the UFP are still people who want something for giving something. Even if the setting has said otherwise several times. The no money system that the UFP uses is full of shit. I love 'The Great Material Continuum' idea because it just works better fro the setting.
youtube.com/watch?v=8H1-XAambts
youtube.com/watch?v=nE5smAZERpQ
Desk selfies
youtube.com/watch?v=X1bZH_VWVfc
bit of over lap but makes events more understandable
youtube.com/watch?v=LA2nBZP3N48
The DS9 'treachery faith and the great river' is my favorite 'fun' episode of this series.
Here's something amusing and informative which is an Econ lesson breakdown of the episode.
youtube.com/watch?v=nBleglF94CA

1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal

youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8

I've never laughed so fucking much.

That was a good episode, and it showcased what a monumental clusterfuck the bureaucracy of the Federation is like.

Not really, it's difficult to get things in a military in general, even one with replication tech like the Feds have. The unit I'm in had some of its budget slashed recently, halving some of our training ops because of other budgetary concerns. Granted, while we're in a time of war, it's no WWII or even a Gulf War in terms of what we're doing, so they aren't as concerned as they would be with a full build up. Fucked up? Yes. But that's going to happen in any area where something breaks unexpectedly and you don't have the parts immediately available. It takes time to get them.

Really, what it shows is how good a Ferengi officer would actually be in the logistics corps. All the numbers and dealing of running a business, but people are looking out for each other as well as themselves.

You can create any mundane item from nothing. So a basic meal is worthless since it contains very little energy. But the energy to achieve warp speed is something that has a lot of value, thus they have mining collonies or trade partnerships. The mining collonies achive value by having a lot of freedom from the federation, they have their own laws and political systems. So only the people that want a hard free life will do that, think of the wild west.

Really disappointed this isn't Corrosive Bolian Shit edition, ngl

Funnily enough I didn't have an appropriate image to hand. And, as little faith as I have in the internet, I don't think I would find anything with a cursory search.

>Miranda on patrol
>Everything is green
>Super green
>Get suspicious
>Run diagnostics
>Still not convinced
>Run them again
>Still green
>Grumble, this could take a while
>Walk to the replicator
>"Coffee, hot"
>Comforted by the silly sound it makes
>Fumble picking up the coffee mug
>Scalding coffee EVERYWHERE
>Consoles begin exploding
>Nothing is green
>Everything is red
>Klaxons wail
>Captain shouting over intercom
>Lights are flickering
>Chief engineer claims nacelles are building up too much energy and are going to explode if we can't get the reactor under control
>Captain still shouting
>Past the point of no return, those babies are gonna blow
>Get order from Captain to activate the explosive bolts that will separate the nacelles from the pylons
>Go dead inside
>All systems red
>Stutter something about the controls being dead
>Horrified silence is the response
>Press the explosive bolt activation button experimentally
>All hands lost

>Miranda on patrol
>Dock at DS9 to resupply
>3 of the bridge crew are murdered by the mystery villain of the week
>The ship gets stolen by Riker's evil clone that got the docking bay with the Defiant mixed up
>Go in debt to Ferrengi bartender
>Arrested for public indecency by a shapeshifter
>Finally get my ship back
>Ship and station explodes because it's one of those "future portents/potential timetravel" episodes
>All hands lost

So as the relatively new guy, what's with all the Miranda hate? I'm still researching, but it doesn't seem like that bad a ship for the time.

They just tend to have really terrible luck. Any time they need a ship of the week to have suffered some catastrophe in TNG onward, it's usually a Miranda.

Plus I guess being the level 1 starter ship for ST:O gives it a reputation for being made out of cardboard?

Also the fact that they were around in the days that Kirk command the Enterprise and were still in service nearly 2 centuries later.

Starfleet doesn't believe in building enough ships to defend it's borders competently because that's too much like a military, man.

Starfleet, existing since 22nd century due to plot armor.

how come in ds9 o'brien always had that badge on his jumpsuit rather than the pips like everybody else

He's a Chief Petty Officer, a non-commissioned officer. The Pips are for actual officers only. Which means yes, Wesley Crusher outranked him.

Hell, when Nog and the Chief were working together. Nog technically out racked him as a cadet ensign since he was commissioned and O'Brien wasn't. Really I wonder just how hard is it to jump from enlisted to officer in Star Fleet since it does happen in current militaries irl. Would they need to go though the academy or just take the officer's promotion test or something?

More like "Bolian Souffle Edition", amirite?

Likely Starfleet would have seen a lot of mustangs during the Cardassian War, Borg Incursions and Dominion War, just from all the officer slots getting wiped out. Frankly, I'm surprised that Barclay wasn't put in charge of his own outpost, with the rate the Feds were going through engineers.

>Miranda on Patrol
>detects tachyon anomaly
>Ship brought to Yellow alert
>Comes closer to anomaly, expecting a Romulan ship to decloak
>no Romulan ship
>just an interesting anomaly
>captain orders the anomaly surveyed
>Enterprise on patrol
>detects tachyon anomaly
>red alert
>detects ship within anomaly
>"Mr Worf, give our Romulan Guests a warning shot."
>Single Phaser beam
>misses the Miranda by a mile
>the phaser excites a previously undetected pocket of theta radiation
>Massive subspace rupture
>All hands lost

Starfleet captains are give a lot of autonomy in how they organize their ships/outposts.

Captain says O'Brian is in charge of engineering by virtue of being a fucking genius when it comes to all things mechanical and 20 years experience. You know what that means for the commissioned engineer officers? It means they learn to obey orders when given in an Irish accent and fuck what pips they have. If they disagree with this arrangement they are perfectly within their rights to submit a transfer request and fuck off.

Barclay survived Borg, mutagenic virus, Klingons, Troi, alien probe brain rape, Romulans, innumerable aliens of the week, time travel, time travel + Borg, energy/matter hybrid microbes, alien computer game brain rape and may other things. He came out the other end of it all exactly as mentally stable as he started.

Sadly he started with mild Asperger Syndrome, anxiety problems and a tendency towards addiction caused by his extremely habit forming personality.

Were it not for his personality problems he would have been made chief engineer. With his luck it would have been a Miranda. With is skill it would have been gradually rebuilt piecemeal into something grander and more durable.

>Miranda on patrol
>Damage computer flares up and indicates that the induction coils are broken
>Send engineering teams to check it out
>New engineering ensign screws up and blows up the main communications system
>Other feddie ship appears
>Miranda starts moving towards it shields down trying to hail it
>Captain of the other ship is one of the surviving cadets from the enterprise
>[Wrath of Khan theme intensifies] in the captains head
>Other ship goes to red alert, raises shields and fires a warning shot
>Meanwhile inside the Miranda a twitchy combat officer panics and fires a torpedo at the other ship
>Other ship retaliates
>Miranda blows up
>All hands lost

A list of all named Mirandas in Star Trek.

USS Antares (NCC-9844): Damaged during fighting with dominion and brought back to Federation Starbase. Fate Unknown

USS Bozeman (NCC-1941): Dragged nearly 100 years into the future, considered MIA until encounter with Enterprise

USS Brattain (NCC-21166): Crew driven insane by evil mcguffin of the week. Killed each other. All but one crew member dead

USS Lantree (NCC-1837): Crew killed by aging virus, ship scuttled. All Hands Lost

USS Majestic (NCC-31060): Flank support for the USS Defiant during operation return. Destroyed by crossfire. All Hands Lost

USS Nautilus (NCC-31910): Assisted Defiant in destroying Chin'Toka defence grid. Fate unknown

USS Reliant (NCC-1864): Captured by Khan. Eventually destroyed. Crew presumed dead

USS Saratoga (NCC-1887): Disabled by Whale Probe. Fate Unknown

USS Saratoga (NCC-31911): Destroyed by Borg at Wolf 359. Some survivors.

USS ShirKhar (NCC-31905): Destroyed an Chin'Toka. All Hands Lost.

USS Sitak (NCC-32591): Flank support for the USS Defiant during operation return. Destroyed by crossfire. All Hands Lost

USS Tien An Men (NCC-21382)
Assisted Defiant in destroying Chin'Toka defence grid. Fate unknown

USS Trial (NCC-1948): Numerous appearances around DS9 and Dominion War. Fate Unknown.

Most unnamed Mirandas were either used in reaction shots around DS9 or background combat for the Dominion War. Most of them blew up. Especially in DS9, where they were casually destroyed onscreen during any major battle.

To be honest, the Connie and Oberth both had much worse survival rates.

>USS Reliant
A cut scene from Star Trek III said the crew were picked up by the Enterprise.

I like that. It shows that KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!! was a noble savage rather than just a savage.

and also has a lower body count that Warlord Janeway

He even left them on the nicer of the two remaining worlds in the system too.

That's better treatment than he got.

Seriously all the Starfleet had to do was sent a single automated probe to the planet at some time in the previous 50 years.

Although still villainous the more you think about KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!! the less of a bastard he seems.

The Bozeman was a Soyuz class which is some kind of Miranda+, it survived the Dominion war and the borg fight from First Contact

>TFW Bozeman has the distinction of probably being one of the oldest ships still in service while being one of the ships with the least miles on it.
I wonder which other ships have 'the been thrown though time' thing done to them in Trek?

New NX model is looking nice.
youtube.com/watch?v=8GA0DU33jMk

Khan is, to an extent, part of what I like to call "the Helghast Problem"; Where an enemy is so compelling and their reasons for being bad are so convincing that only through excellent good-guy characterisation can you hope to keep the audience on board with your good vs evil narrative. Fortunately for Trek, Kirk and Co are already so beloved by the time of WoK that, despite this being a catastrophe of their own making, we side with them because we know that they're good people.

The same doesn't apply to Into Darkness where Benedict Cumber-Khan is the much more interesting and sympathetic character. He wants to save his people. He wants revenge against the man who threatened to kill his family. Sure, he's the bad guy, but only so long as you can convince the audience that the crew of the Enterprise are the good guys. So when Spock goes on a Khan-esque rampage to make Khan himself suffer, we lose all sense of there being any reason to root for Starfleet. They're no better than Khan and they're far less engaging.

I think the latter problem is inherent in all the reboot movies. They spend so much time telling us that this isn't the original crew, and then neatly (or not) slot everyone back into the same role, and then try and make up the exact same story beats. Even worse, they don't get why that worked. Pine's Kirk is feeling old and out of shape in the third one after what, 4 years of cruise time? Bullshit.

We don't hate the Miranda. It was a thing started in the other thread as a joke due to the number of times Trek uses the class as its personal whipping boy to show "how serious" a fight or enemy is.

If it weren't for the fact that Oberth class starships were apparently phased out before the Dominion war, it would have been them thanks to STIII showing us how paper thin her hull and shields are.

I for one love the Miranda. She's not my favorite ship, but she's a classy old gal. We're all just having a good natured laugh at Trek's expense, not making fun of the Miranda.

They should never have tried to force the Khan character into I2D. Not only does he not have the pathos that WoK's Khan has (with Space Seed as the background to jump start it, and you don't need to have watched it because there's new characters who weren't there that it can be explained to).

Worse, Space Seed and WoK have to explained to not!Kirk and nuSpock by Spock himself, which massively undercuts any of the personal tension and danger that existed in WoK, since Khan isn't doing any of what he does out of straight malice or hatred for Kirk (or even Admiral Marcus), he's doing it so save his "family"/cohorts.

The first half of the movie has some interesting stuff about false-flag attacks, instigating wars of "defense" and even something to say about keeping secrets from the civilian government, plus a side dish of runaway military spending.

And then it shits on it by trying to be WoK 2.0.

For me Pine Kirk didn't feel old or out of shape, he just felt tired and in need of a break. Which I think is the feel they were going for considering that they had just spent years in space breathing recycled air, eating recycled food and feeling artificial gravity in the confines of a single ship. Eventually cabin fever will get to you no matter how roomy the ship is. So, for me at least, that was acted and written something fucking sweet.

Khan was always a product of his time and a villain of his environment. He was raised to bring peace to a world at war, his people the armies of keeping that peace. Most expedient and lasting method of doing that was to take that shit over and impose peace.

And he was right in TOS with what he said to Kirk. He was expecting to wake up in a world where humanity had surpassed or at least equalled him in inherent capability. Instead he wakes up to dull weakling with shiny toys. Then their inaction kills almost all of his friends and family.

TOS/WoK Khan was only after Kirk. He buried him on that planetoid and intended to head for the horizon. It has been a while since I saw the film but I think he was then going to take that borrowed hip and warp to the horizon and never look back. If I'm remembering right this indicates that he has a sense of fair play and proportional response.

Reboot Trek has Khan wake up to Admiral Robocop holding hostage all people he cares about. Shit was never going to end well.

>sense of fair play and proportional response

This right here is one of the reasons why WoK's Khan can't be topped. The writers had an excellent handle on who Khan was, his relationship to Kirk, and how far he was willing to pursue his vengeance.

What galled him was that Kirk would escape, and Khan couldn't have that. Not for marooning him and his people on Ceti Alpha V and then forgetting them, not for the deaths of his people, and especially not for the death of McGivers, whom Khan apparently really felt love and affection for.

Khan is complex, interesting, dangerous because his ambitions lead him to do whatever he feels is necessary, but despite being "superior" he's still inherently human.

I2D Khan has only the barest vestiges of the original Khan, and is operating on the extremely lazy "revenge!" plot, with a heaping pile of super hero powers that the original didn't have. Khan was "superior", but not fucking Captain America.

I felt it was a nice touch in WoK that he kept his wife's broken Starfleet badge.

I'm not going to lie. I think Benedict Cumberbatch did an excellent job with what he was handed. Pity what he was handed was mediocre.

>TOS/WoK Khan was only after Kirk. He buried him on that planetoid and intended to head for the horizon. It has been a while since I saw the film but I think he was then going to take that borrowed hip and warp to the horizon and never look back. If I'm remembering right this indicates that he has a sense of fair play and proportional response.
>kills all the scientists except for the bare minimum he needs to figure out Genesis

As I said it's been a while since I saw the film.

There's a lot of little details in WoK that give us insight into Khan's character and his mental state, such his flying off the handle and killing people when he's thwarted, yet still having the ability to scheme another way to get what he wants without it seeming implausible, plot convenient, or simply having the main characters look like retards.

>Cumberbun

I have to disagree with you. I think he has his moments, but I've never been particularly convinced by his acting. Maybe that will change over time as I see him in more stuff, but just from the few viewings I've seen, he's a moderately talented, handsome actor blessed with a fantastic voice.

That said, tastes differ. Even though I'm not a fan of him, I think most of the actors in the reboots are doing the best with what they are given. Even Pine (whom I despise).

Cadets don't outrank anyone. At all. In any military in the world, cadets aren't in the chain of command. They're there to learn. So, theoretically, Seamen Apprentice Bob Jones outranks Cadet Nog.

The actor formerly known at Benedict Cumberbatch is an amazing actor, and an even more amazing voice actor. Watch Sherlock or The Imitation Game to see some of his range, and of course watch his Smaug preformance on youtube

Not even theoretically. While I was considered E-5 in paygrade when I was in OCS, I was considered outranked by anyone who had completed even Basic. Granted, everyone who was there was at minimum E-4, but I doubt that would matter to the Chief.

Even assuming cadets could outrank enlisted, there's this thing known as the chain of command, and O'Brien answers only to the command staff of DS9, which is pretty much Sisko, Kira, Dax, and (maybe) Worf.

I'm not even 100% certain that Dax or Worf could actually give O'Brien orders. Where station repair and maintenance is concerned, O'Brien is in charge. Same with engineering on the Defiant.

Dax and Worf could certainly give O'Brien orders, but they'd defer to his expertise in the situation if it was engineering, or suffering.

More or less what I meant, but I wasn't being clear.

>suffering

No one is more knowledgeable than O'Brien on that topic.

He can't blame anyone else for that he married her.

3 of the times he suffered technically didn't happen though.

There have been weird situations, such as in "Rules of Engagement" where O'Brien would have been expected to take command if the present commanding officer were incapacitated.

To be fair, that's probably because of his time in grade seniority, the fact that the station was mostly staffed by the Bajoran Militia, despite being a Starfleet outpost, and the fact that out of everyone, only O'Brien had a fucking clue how the bodged together Starfleet and Cardassian tech worked.

>only O'Brien had a fucking clue how the bodged together Starfleet and Cardassian tech worked.
And even then the station did try to out right kill them once or twice. I'm betting O'Brien was glad that after that piece of junk was destroyed that they replaced it with a UFP issue starbase. Btw, does anyone know what kind of station was the 2nd DS9? Was it the standard giant mushroom thing we usually see?

Pic related. O'Brien designed it, with the green bit of the dome there being a combination promenade and giant park thing.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks it looks silly and that they should have just used a Stardock type Starbase

Aside from the rings, that's the basis for Starfleet's new mega starbases. And even then, apparently O'Brien developed the rings so that ships can enter and leave the shield bubble they provide even while the shields are up.

I definitely like the STO style mega-starbases better

So was looking around but couldn't find them. Does anyone have a guess as to the dimensions of the DS9 II base?

does anyone have the episode guides?

Just watch the lot, lad. The good and the bad.

STO mega starbases?

They should have brought out Colonel Green if they had to have an old war character.

Yeah, if you want us to really hate ww3 era megalomaniacs then showing us 1 in action wouldn't be a terrible way of going about it.

im gonna but i remember having a giggle at them and i regret not saving them

I think he is talking about the fleet starbases.
sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Starbase

That actually looks pretty badass and could be a good computer game all in itself.

You are given command of a station by Starfleet, some shitty metal box made up of old spare K series parts and assembled by the lowest bidder in the UFP team.

Your mission is to act as the hub for the patrol boats, science ships, relief efforts and other noble endeavours in that particular frontier sector.

During that time you have to fend off Cardasian Extremists, Bjoran Pah-Wraith Heretics, Klingon Renegades and a whole host of other shit the Star Trek universe throws at people. Also guest appearance from big green space hand, special lens flare effect special anomalies and the Easter Egg Q encounter.

It would have an X-Com type difficulty curve which is to say the difficulty curve ramps up and you better keep up because this shit isn't going to slow down.

You get a certain number of ships of basic type. You are way on the edge of the map and a long way from the core worlds of the UFP. You want new ships? Build a ship yard. Getting an actual Starfleet issue ship is a very rare event and it's never going to be anything particularly good. You want to buy 2nd hand ship from Mudd's Used Ship Emporium? You better be good at fixing up centuries old derelicts.

You want good officers to give buffs to your ships and base? Well you got a few to start with. Rest are enlisted knuckle draggers who just want to see the frontier. You want any new officers? Build an academy. Or hire non-Starfleet experts.

There should be a sliding scale. At one end you got Exemplar and at the other end you got Infamous. Hiring dubious experts from off the grid and giving them high ranking positions and making your base and fleet a Frankenstein mess gets you all of the Infamy.

It could be fun. Sort of X-Com meets Mass Effect.

And what about the fleet holdings?
Gain access to them once you have managed to get a federation fleet stationed at your base, or once you have started exploring the nearby systems yourself?

That could be worked into how the base starts.

Are you a Starfleet commander of a base commissioned and built by Starfleet or are you an ally of the UFP in a starbase built by someone else.

Going the Pure Starfleet method gets you a standard but very small fleet and a standard base. It also gives you a few fairly decent starting officers.

If you are random commander who is merely allied with Starfleet you get random starting stats. If your base was built by non-Starfleet it starts in variable state of disrepair with randomly assigned low end capabilities and highly varied spare parts with no fleet to start with.

As an independent you should have to deal with more shit because you don't have the backing of the Starfleet name to deter trouble but at the same time should be able to attract more private ships to your fleet because you don't have the same baggage as Starfleet brings with it.

Going Full Starfleet is easier for going for Exemplar where as going Full Independent makes it way easier to go full Infamous.

Also going if Starfleet you get access to a bit of exclusive high end tech. If going Independent you get access to greater variety of low to medium end tech and a bit more resources because fuck the Prime Directive.

The goal of the Late Game should be for Feds to expand the borders of the UFP into all available space and make the whole place as prosperous and Utopian as the Fed core worlds.

The Late Game goal of the Independent should be to make your space station the keystone and hub of a small but prosperous interstellar empire/protection racket/cooperative/whatever.

Throw in a council room for making policy decision with benefits and detriments that bring favour or disrepute from the major players of the quadrant (in a manner similar to Dragon Commander) and it would be damn near the perfect game.

ok /stg/ picture this

telltale announces that they'll be doing a game based off of a star trek series (tos, tng, ds9, voy, and ent)

which series would you want them to use? or create an original story in the vein of borderlands

Either make a game set in the TOS time or make a completely original story set in the time between TOS and TNG.

I want either a campy story or those sexy sexy wok uniforms.

TOS

Because what this user said
Uniforms are undoubtedly sexy but TOS camp wins out for me.

since most of the actors are all ded they'd probably make it set in the jar jar abrams timeline TOS

Why should they? Just have another ship on its own 5 year mission somewhere far away from Enterprise.
That way you could have the crew sometimes talking about their adventures without a need to bring any of the old actors in.

Also you could try and do the same thing Cryptic did in their TOS adventures and re-use voice files from the actual show.

>you could try and do the same thing Cryptic did in their TOS adventures and re-use voice files from the actual show.

It sounded like shit.

Don't do that.

I want Telltale to keep their grubby paws off of various franchises. I've seen their "games" played, and I'm not impressed.

If they changed the formula and took inspiration from Star Trek 25th Anniversary or Judgement Rites, I'd be okay with that.

Wouldn't say no to an honest remake of the old Star Trek PaC adventure games, honestly.

I would. Mostly because I've played the 25th anniversary/Judgement Rites adventures, and really unless you're the forgetful sort there isn't that much replayability in them unless you fuck up the first time though and care enough to go for a better ending.

I'd much rather see some newer adventures, though not in the Telltale style. I like some game in my games, not just the occasional quicktime event and dialogue choices that don't actually matter much.

Dragon Commander + Sim City + Mass Effect.

I'm throwing money at the screen yet nothing happens.

I can't really see Telltale's style working with that. I mean I guess you could do some sort of situation where you're exploring an abandoned starfleet ship and trying to piece together a mystery but that's a fairly threadbare premise.

In this case, I think either the fleet starbase or the redone Earth Starbase works

Incredible, a design that seems more impractical than DS9 for repairwork or cargo transfer.

Well, the docking rings do probably allow the station to be bigger and give more access to larger variety of ships. I would say it is better for defense this way since you can more easily control access to the station itself.

But is it any better off than the old style of federation starbase? The mushroom-base for lack of a better descriptor.

Personally, I think that a series of skeletal docks like they used for construction would be best. More entry/exit points, easier to anchor, and more flexible in terms of size.

So a semi modular Station? That would actually be quite interesting. You could tailor each station to the specific needs of it's parent system and easily detach/replace severely damaged modules. The only problem I can think of is that each module would need its own independant power grid and propulsion for transit, and that could wrack up the necessity for a large number of engineers and maintenance crews.

Kirk expressly said in STIV in San Francisco that they don't use money in the future.

Probably not even that. Three basic sizes: shuttles/runabout (into actual bays they can go in, almost like a carrier in BSG), mid sized (Defiant through Voyager), and capital ship. Make a single spine unit with which to build around, make it to where it has its own core, add arms based on how tall the vessel is. Proceed to make the dock as large or small as you want, since it's stationary and in space.

I'm thinking something that you fly into one direction, get fixed, and continue forwards. Above the spines you can put in cargo/recreation facilities (assuming that the ship's aren't as good.

And now I wish I was a drawfag because I think I figured out how to make this semi-practical full sized starbase. A central, boxlike area with several shuttlebay entrances that can be forcefield or mechanically shut as necessary. On top and bottom would be a section for two of the largest possible ship types, or up to a single D'deridex if necessary. Sides would be semi-configurable, twelve slots. Think like the repair station in Enterprise. This would provide space for quite a number of ships, small transports, and still provide a promenade or other similar area.

A slightly more aesthetic alternative is to make it kinda like DS9, with the configurable sections on top/bottom of the ring segments. Simple docking you could put on top of the pylons, and full repairs on the interior section.

You could always give it a go with pen and paper, just to illustrate your point.

In the morning, I gotta be up in seven hours for work.

Oh my god. YES. I love this scenario.

Started listening to Star Trek: Excelsior today. If you can deal with the amateur voice acting, it's pretty damn solid.

Any other fanmade Star Trek audio dramas you can recommend?

user, do you have a link? I wouldn't mind a listen myself.

I have to admit I was hoping that the Kira surrogacy would mess with Keiko more than it did, or that Kirayoshi would be born with nose ridges. That would have made the curse into "The O'Briens must suffer."

Enterprise, there was criminally little material from that era.

Well that's sort of understandable, considering it blew away every bit of beta canon between First Contact and TOS, so the fandom was starting from tabula rasa.

>It's a Cryptic live action role playing Ferengi episode

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10323483

That's the sort of thing that could easily drain my bank account. Thank god im already broke! Haha... ha...