Khornate Warband Creation

Alright, Veeky Forums, let's roll up a Khorne Daemonkin warband.

Gonna be using the Chaos Warband tables, but skipping the deity alignment rolls!

Now give me a D100 for frequency of blessings! How much does the Blood God favor us?

Rolled 92 (1d100)

Alright, boss!

>inb4 100

Holy crap, off to a good start!

>High: Every deed, every thought, every word spoken is done in the name of chaos. The war band is highly active and effective, constantly attracting the attention of the gods. Most, if not all, of the war band has received some sort of blessing

The Blood God watches over us surely!

D100 for what our common blessings are!

Rolled 51 (1d100)

Skulls for the skull throne!

The Blood God grants us deadly mutations!

>Deadly Protrusions: Once again, these take the form of physical deformities, however, these deformities serve a purpose in combat. With mutations such as spiked limbs, sharp fangs, large horns, etc. the blessed ones are even more deadly in close combat.

Rolled 84 (1d100)

I think you forgot to say what to roll for.

Rolling anyways!

Whoops! Our HQ is in space unexplored by the Imperium!

Fascinating.

D100 for our warband's structure!

Rolled 90 (1d100)

whos there leader going to be

>Roughly balanced, even amount of marines and cultists
Dang, user! Some nice rolls you've been having.

We'll figure that out in a bit, Tzeentch.

D100 for Recruitment methods!

Rolled 37 (1d100)

I wanna steal me some recruits, boss!

Maybe force them to fight like gladiators? Duels?

Yeah, Tzeentch, so nuh

>Harbors fleeing traitors from the Imperium
Maybe we can have them duel eachother so that only the strongest may be accepted into the Warband?

D10 for combat style!

Give me a 1!

Rolled 10 (1d10)

Tentacles crossed for Khorne-Fu

>Sorcery
Good thing Khorne-aligned warbands reroll 10!

Now reroll it, or have your skull taken!

Rolled 3 (1d10)

Blood for the blood god, someone elses skull for the skull throne!

Rolled 9 (1d10)

>Armored Assault
Now this is more like it. Send in waves of cultists with the marines in Rhinos and Land Raiders!

>Terror
Ooh! This one's cool as well. Send everyone screaming and cowering in fear as their skulls are taken.

I like this one more, but I want to know what you anons like better. Terror or armored assault?

Anyways, D100 for champion!

Rolled 66 (1d100)

Terror for sure!

Gimme a fearsome champion!

Rolled 12 (1d100)

> Why not both?

Blood is shed in many ways, Battle-Brother. Let our foes cower before the might of our armored battalions, let their weakling spines be crushed beneath our treads, and let their skulls be mounted on the front of our warmachines, to destroy the enemy's faintest hope of victory!

Yeah Terror for sure boss

>Champion of Chaos

>Daemon Prince
Heck yeah, going with the Daemon Prince!

Both sounds good to me too.

D100 for his legendary deed!

Two votes Terror, one for Both!

Rolled 25 (1d100)

I retract my terror vote for both.

First we kill the planetary defense forces families, then we storm them in our rhinos blasting the dying screams of their families over the vox.

Rolled 68 (1d100)

Is there any reason this warband can't be led by a Fearsome Daemon Prince, and a contingent of elite Champions of Chaos following in his footsteps?

>Slew a Loyalist Chapter Master in a duel, gaining the ire of the chapter

>The figure led the forces to many a glorious campaign in the name of chaos, perhaps wiping out those who defied the gods and bringing many others into the light of true gods. The figure is highly favored by his patron god(s) for his actions.
This one. This one for sure.

Alright, so both Terror and Armored Assault, led by a or was led by a Daemon Prince and the warband is overseen by Champions of Chaos!

Awesome!

That conludes the rolling, but I'm currently using the painter to come up with some schemes.

Who's chapter master did he kill? Maybe we should wait for the rest of the rolls and decide.

So I googled scary colours and this is the first picture..

Interesting side note, the German flag also pops up in the second row.

So, let's have a recap!

>Khornate
>Highly Blessed
>Deadly Mutations
>Headquarters is in unexplored space
>Harbors fleeing traitors
>Terror AND Armored Assault
>Led by a Legendary Daemon Prince who slew a Chapter Master, and led glorious campaigns of blood and brass, all in the name of Khorne!
>Contingent of Champions oversee the warband
Dang that's cool.

Again, why not both? Here's an idea.

The Warband leader led the Warband on a glorious campaign, razing hundreds of Imperial worlds, before they were challenged by a Loyalist Space Marine Chapter, let's say a renegade subset of the Lamentors, who valiantly battled the Khornate Horde in defense of a Shrine World.

The Hallowed Lamentors would've defeated the Khornate Warband, but the Warband leader dueled their Chapter Master, and slayed him in mortal combat, shattering the Hallowed Lamentors morale, and winning the Shrine World. The Khornate Warband then desecrated the Shrine World in Khorne's name, and Khorne's elevated the Warband Leader to the status of Daemon Prince!

For maximum badassery, let's say that the Warband Leader was once a normal Human, who rose to lead the Warband through sheer might and devotion in Khorne.

> Thoughts?

It really is awesome, so now I'm thinking, did we take part in the Horus Hersey or fall after it?

I'd love to flesh out how we chose Khorne as our deity, for example, were we a close combat chapter than relished too much in the bloodshed?

I like this, the Lamentors had a pretty easy ride, it's about time they got some flak.

Also a normal human Daemon Prince, that's pretty cool, has there ever been one in the canon? I'm even more blown away that the he killed a chapter master, what a badass.

What was the killing blow in your mind?
In mine it was a sword (or weapon) down the throat, puncturing both hearts.

It's cool, but I say change two things

Let's not do the Lamenters, though cool, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I personally feel that he could be a Daemon Prince who led the campaigns and slew the Chapter Master who heroically challenged the Daemon Prince in an attempt to banish him and end the Khornate Crusade, but failed to do so, and doomed hundreds of worlds, forever sealing off that section of space as 'Unexplored'.

Maybe WE or IW descended? The legions were huge, so perhaps they were a chapter that were sent out to explore unknown space, but as the heresy broke out, they returned to their lands that they had conquered, and re-conquered it, but this time, for Khorne.

Isn't the point of the Lamenter's that they keep getting pwned?

But yeah, let's go with them.

I like the idea of a Termi Lord duelling a Termi Chapter Master, maybe with a blessed axe or dual lightning claws?

But if you guys want a human, a human is cool too. But I fail to see how he'd fight off the Chapter Master without being super blessed?

If I recall correctly, there have been a few, but the majority are definitely Space Marines. Also, what are you talking about? The Lamentors are one of the unluckiest chapters to ever crusade, and they were on serving pentience and were unable to recruit, if I recall. Hence, the renegade, but loyal, breakoff Lamenter Chapter.

I like that idea for a killing blow, though I feel the Warband Leader's sword should be flaming and radiating Khorne's malice.

Well, the driving force behind the Chapter is their overwhelming faith in Khorne, so I imagine this guy was blessed to the point that it's an accomplishment in and of itself that he hadn't mutated into a Chaos Spawn. Khorne must've favored him.

A notable example would be Valkia the Bloody, though she's from Fantasy where it would make more sense for a regular humie to be a Daemon Prince(ss).

But I still like the idea of two dudes in Termi armor duking it out.

Mama always said I was bad at sarcasm

But there are literally dozens of fluff examples of Space Marines dueling in Terminator Armor. How many stories are there of a normal, heavily demonically mutated, but normal, Human slaying a Chapter Master in mortal combat?

Many Keks.

Meh, I'm not changing my mind.

Daemon Prince/Termi Lord leading a Khornate Crusade and taking worlds with blood and skulls, with the final battle being a duel against a Loyalist Chapter Master sounds awesome to me.

I just can't see a regular humie being in charge of a huge and successful Khornate Crusade even if he was blessed. Now if he was leading an army of traitor guard, then yeah. But this is a Warband filled with CSM and humie underlings.

Cultists being the IG of the Warband, with the CSM being the CSM.

It's okay user.

Not much, and for good reason, since even though he has Daemonic blessings, he's still no match for a space marine.

That, and it's also far easier to represent on the tabletop if we stick to a Daemon Prince/Termi Lord.

I don't actually think it's possible for any Cultist or Renegade of any kind to beat a Termi armor Chapter Master in melee on the tabletop, iirc.

Well, possible, but not likely at all.

To get away from all the arguing, let's just lay down some facts/fluff for the warband.

I like the idea that to prove that you can join the warband, you have to duel other prospects and claim their skull for Khorne.

You're right, but I've been stricken with inspiration! What if the Warband's Leader was a mighty Daemon Prince/Champion of Chaos who led the campaign, but was stricken down by the Hallowed Lamenter's Chapter Master? A random, high ranking, chaos guard Khornate Fanatic took up his fallen Leader's blade, and was filled with the might of Khorne for an instant, allowing him to slay the Chapter Master and a dozen Marines, before Ascending? And upon Ascending, he took up the mantle of his predecessor?

The idea of a normie being badass enough to slay a Chapter Master is awesome, but I like the idea of him being Angry and skilled enough to actually lead the Khornate Warband. Maybe he kept his leadership position because he was a brilliant tactician, and kept the Khornate Marines to busy fighting one another to battle him?

I do love this idea.

Perhaps there are mini warbands led by a champion/lord with marines and cultists, whom all seek the enemies leader and to slay him in honorable combat, as to take their skull for himself?

Hmmm... I sort of like it, but I dunno.

I think it sort of defeats the purpose of the Daemon Prince/Champion striking down the Chapter Master and leading Crusades of Blood and Skulls and becoming infamous for this.

What I had in mind was them all arriving out of their piece of space, a giant army of marines and cultists, all led by a giant Daemon Prince out to get skulls and blood for Khorne, then duelling the Chapter Master whos' final bid/last stand was to try and strike him down in an effort to halt their Khornate Crusade.

But that's just me, I guess.

That is pretty badass I'll admit, but the idea of a mortal man being manly enough to slay a Chapter Master with nothing but his own power, his blade, and the blessings of Khorne speaks to me.

> OP is kill

Nah, just trying to come up with a color scheme that isn't too pre-heresy Word Bearers or Black legion-lite.

I do like what's been posted so far!

There is a certain dark humor to it. A daemon prince bringing ruin to planet after planet, a desperate struggle to stop them, a valiant last stand that sees the Chapter Master triumphant, then some Chaos schmuck with a half working chainsword and a meltabomb on a stick punks his ass because this is war motherfucker. Ain't nobody playing along with this honorable combat bullshit.

I do like that.

As a sort of compromise, I'd like to think a leiutenant/champion slew the weakened Chapter Master and finished off the Daemon Prince, sort of like him rising up in the ranks and taking his place as the new Chaos Lord.

Also, how's this for a color scheme?

Or maybe this?

For some fluff, let's try and come up with a name and traditions for the warband.

Perhaps they encase the skulls of worthy foes in brass, the Chaos Lord himself standing atop a pile of brazen skulls in an imitiation of the Skull Throne?

It doesn't grab me. Try making the pauldrons red and the waist, crotch, forearms, and upper legs black.

Oh, that's brutal. Khorne's all about honorable combat against foes as or more powerful than you, and what is a more impressive victory than the slaying of BOTH a Space Marine Chapter Master, AND a Khornate Daemon Prince, when you yourself are nothing but an exceptional Human?

The two-tone helmet is sweet.

And they encase the skulls of worthy foes in brass, then use the skulls to adorn weapons and vehicles, so that their honored enemies might kill in Khorne's name long after their death.

Ooh, sounds good.

Like this?

I prefer the Champion to be a CSM rising through the ranks in my opinion. Maybe he's got his own set of termi armor as well?

Furthermore, why not have the Champions/Lords who lead the mini-warbands seek out to duel the enemy leader, and seek their skull? Perhaps they pay tribute to the current Chaos Lord/Daemon Prince by giving him a skull for his own skull throne, seeing him as an avatar of Khorne himself? What with the Khornate crusades and all.

Hmmm...

For a name, why not The Knights of the Brazen Skulls?

Brazen Lords?

Brass Warriors?

Something about that color scheme that doesn't sit right with me.

I do like the sound of those.

Brass Legion, perhaps?

Also I'm working on multiple color schemes for these guys, what do you all think of this version?

Brass legion sounds sweet, gives the feeling of an army of Khornates going out on a crusade of blood and terror.

I don't like the brass skull throne bit, but I do like the brass skulls.

I feel like you should make the lower half red, the upper legs and crotch, that is.

Agreed, the Brass Legion sounds cool. Brass or Brazen Legion?

Brass Legion. Sounds better in my opinion.

I think you should put the upper legs back to black as well as the crotch.

For the Warband's leader, are we going with a Daemon Prince, a Chaos Champion turned Daemon Prince, or an extremely lucky and badass Khornate Cultist turned Daemon Prince?

I like the idea of a Daemon Prince leading the Warband's from the getgo, with a group of Chaos Champion lieutenants, with the Warband's leadership structure being a simple pyramid hierarchy.

The Brass Legion is a kickass name. Instead of a Brass Skull Throne, what if the warmaster's brass throne room's walls were embedded with the brass skulls of the mightiest foes the Warband's had slain, and symbolic, or genuine, brass skulls were mounted onto the front of every vehicle?

I say go with Daemon Prince, since I love your idea of having the Daemon Prince lead the whole thing, with the Champions having their own sections.

I do love your idea of having the throne room's walls covered in brass skulls.

Perhaps the Warband's Icon is a brass skull with the mark of Khorne on the forehead?

8 champions, perhaps? Each leading his own section of the Khorne Daemonkin Warband?

Simple and to the point. I like it. Brass marks of Khorne should be embedded into the helmets, chestplates, and gauntlets of every soldier, and the blades, stocks, and handles of every weapon. Members of the Brass Legion should be required to get a mark of Khorne branded into their chests, over their hearts.

Again, it's simple, and straight to the point. I couldn't think of anything better for a Khornate Warband.

For the Deadly Protrusion mutations, I was thinking spiked mandibles and bladed tendrils might be interesting to have alongside the standard horns.

Wait! I have an idea.

Their original Daemon Prince was never struck down, instead, after he struck down the chapter master and truly began the Crusade of Blood in earnest, he was once again ascended, straight to a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster, where he became known as Karag'grax, The Twice Ascended, Slayer of Champions, and Lord of the 8,00 Worlds. It was then that the heart of the Brass Empire, Kalendor IV, was plunged into the warp, and became the Daemon World it is today, where Karag'grax resides until summoned by great acts of carnage and wanton bloodshed. The portion of space that the Brass Empire encompasses has been declared uninhabitable empty space by the High Lords, and all knowledge of it's existance and location has been believed to have been destroyed.

It is now the 41st Millenium, and a second Crusade of Blood has been called. Bolstered by traitors and fools wishing to join the ranks of the Brass Legion, they have become ever stronger, honing their skills and building great Daemon Engines in Khorne's name. Soon, Karag'grax himself shall be summoned, and this time, he will not leave with 800 worlds in his bloody empire, but 8,000.

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull throne!

Perhaps bone spikes like those of the Black Dragons, except these have a brass tinge to them?

Sorry it took so long to reply, was writefagging this

Whoops, accidentally put a comma. Should be 800, not 8,00.

That's awesome.

Really awesome.

Anyone agree/disagree with it?

So Karag'grax, The Twice Ascended, Slayer of Champions, and Lots of the 800 Worlds pleased Khorne enough to ascend beyond the status of Daemon Prince, into a once-mortal Bloodthirster? He must've fought quite the battle with the Lamenter's Chapter Master!

Does Karag'grax continue to directly lead the Brass Legion as they campaign, or is he content to allow his 8 Chaos Champion subordinates to oversee their military efforts while he remains at Kalendor IV? What is Kalendor IV like? I feel it should somehow tie into the Mechanized Warfare and Terror strategies of the Brass Legion.

There's an almost 50/50 Space Marine/Mortal Cultist ratio. I feel that the Brass Legion should have an elite force of 8,000, made up of Khornate Space Marines and fanatical Mortals who have been blessed to the extent that they are effectively lesser Daemons in all but name.

Beneath Karag'grax's Brass Venerated Champions, there is the Brass Legion proper: millions of Khornate fanatic militia, and trained, blessed warriors who depend on mechanized warfare and heavy artillery to fight their battles, though they have no qualms about bloody melee combat.

> Thoughts?

I feel that if Karag'grax has an empire of 800 worlds, the unit beneath Karag'grax should be made up of the elite of the elite, and the Brass Legion should be made up of the millions of Khornate hordes who follow them, worshiping Karag'grax as an Avatar of Khorne.

*Not Lots, Lord of the 800 worlds.

Perhaps he, like other greater Daemons and Bloodthirsters and whatnot, is confined to his throne world, until summoned? And so is content to allow his Champions to begin the Second Crusade of Blood?

Perhaps Kalendor IV is a world covered in Daemon Forges and Arenas?

How about there being 16,000 CSM, and billions of Cultists, with us retconning the 50/50 ratio in order for the Brass Legion to seem even huger?

Let's go for 32,000 CSM and be even more retardedly huge.

Because it's awesome.

That, and the Punishers are a slaaneshi warband who at full force had 26,000 marines. We cannot be smaller than Slaaneshis.

Oh, I know how this could work!

Perhaps each of the eight Chaos Lords have 4,000 marines, as 4,000*8=32,000?

Man, that's cool.

This is a Chaos Warband, not a Chaos Space Marine Chapter. Each of the 8 Champions of Chaos should be given 4,000 Marines, and 4,000 Exalted Legionaries,(crazy-blessed Khornate). This means, 4,000(2)*8=64,000. 64,000, when divided by 8,000, equals 8. Surely, this is a sign of Khorne, brother!

Hohoho! A grand idea indeed!

Also, all 64,000 of them are about 15.6% of the entirety of the Space Marine chapters, seeing as there are approx. 1,000 of them.

Personally, in my headcanon, I add a few zeros onto the ends of GW's lore numbers, as they have a terrible sense of scale.

For Karag'grax's Daemon World, I was imagining a Forge World on crack and bath salts, with vast foundries, towering industrious manufactorums, enormous slave pits, and colossal collesiums were slaves are sacrificed by one another, the devoted of Khorne show their devotion, and the Brass Legions trademark wamachines are pitted against one another in glorious everlasting carnage.

You realize we're at metaplot villain level here, right?

Nice! I feel like the Brass Legion would make extensive use if Maulerfiends, due to both them only having melee attacks that are both powerful and numerous.

Plus they look cool.

?

At this point the Brass Legion is over three times larger than peak Thousand Sons. It has a larger scale of operations than the Red Corsairs, and is a larger unified command than all CSMs that aren't the Word Bearers, Black Legion, or Red Corsairs.

Yeah, I get your point now.

I say we go back to the 32,000 rather than 64,000. Heck, why not 40,000?

Any of those are still a multiple of 8, yet near sensible levels.

>tfw as of BL's HH, peak TSons is more than 80,000

Agreed. After all, the Brass Legion only owns 800 worlds, 40,000 is a far larger amount of Space Marines and Blessed Cultists than should be necessary.

> Who are the Brass Legion's Serfs? Are they captured slaves, fanatical cultists, or some combination of the above? Beyond maintaining the warband, what are their duties?

I was thinking smaller. Eight Champions of Chaos with 512 CSM at their command. Each of these warbands is accompanied by 8,000 Exalted Legionaries (I'm guessing these are storm trooper equivalents). While a lot smaller, they're functionally the equivalent of four Space Marine chapters backed by several regiments of Tempestus Scions. Then you've got the "normal" Chaos troops the Brass Legion has at its command, plus the cultists and daemons they can throw around.

I'd say both cultists and slaves. Slaves are used as workers and gladiators, whereas cultists are used as cannon fodder, and given crappy arms and armor.

I was thinking of some of the larger CSM warbands in canon, which have had around 10-30k marines, which is why I thought 32-40k marines would be fine.

What traditions does the Brass Legion have? Do they rape, AND pillage? Do they have a unique warcry? Do they have a certain type of weapon they prefer?

So far we have:

>Takes the skulls of worthy foes and the enemy leaders and encase them in brass
>conquer whatever worlds they can in the Crusade of Blood
>Lots of Maulerfiends, because those are cool and can actually tear apart vehicles and fortifications

Maybe for preferred weapons, they use lots of axes/power axes, due to the armor piercing potential? So axes of Khorne on ones worthy of them.

That sounds good. What attitude does the warband take toward alcohol, drugs, and sex? Besides Axes, what personal weapons do they often use? What vehicles do they most frequently employ when on the warpath?

Fair enough. Though I'd have a distinct hierarchy for the cultists. You'd have the slaves at the bottom, followed by your basic cultists, your Khornate priesthood, and your cult military. Upper levels of the Khornate priesthood and the Exalted Legionaries require one to have received a blessing from Khorne.

>Alcohol, drugs, and sex
Slaanesh plz leave. But in all seriousness, I dunno.

But for weapons, I can see melta and plasma being used often, melta for destroying vehicles and buildings, and plasma for taking out heavy infantry and light vehicles.

Vehicle-wise, I can definitely envision packs of Maulerfiends running up and tearing things apart, Rhinos for 10 man squads, and Helbrutes for anyone considered a failure.

Nice, I like this idea.

Oh, and for other melee weapons, I can see power swords as well, for allowing one to gain the upper hand in a duel.

I feel like they the warband might use drugs and alcohol to hype themselves up for combat, and to celebrate victories. As for sex, I don't think they'd care either way, as long as warband members didn't let it distract them from bloodshed.

Meh, I'm iffy on this one. I see a Khornate Warband already hyped up on Blood and Skulls, as well as the blessings of the Blood God, since the Brass Legion is highly blessed, after all.

Sure, you can have a religious fanatic go into a beserker rage where he feels no pain and knows no fear, but some hardcore drugs every now and then prolong the fury, and they help the less experienced Khornates awaken their rage.

Hmmmm...

Let's have a compromise and say that the mortal cultists do drugs to help them get into a rage, but the marines don't.

Sound fair?

That sounds completely sensible, I know that many of the cultists wouldn't resort to drugs, but a good amount of them would, and many might simply use them to bolster their own fury.

Drugs are mainly for the lower tier cultists and slaves. Way I see it a major Brass Legion attack will involve a bunch of cultists and slaves with whatever weapons they can get their hands on being fed combat drugs and rushed into battle as distractions and tarpits. The actual cult army mostly just sticks to stimulants while the Exalted Legionaries and Marines don't use them as a matter of routine but per personal preference.

These are awesome ideas.

If there's one thing I want to change, it's the color scheme, but I can't find a nice combination of Red/Black/Brass/EyeColor that I like.

I was thinking that in battle, the bulk of the cultists charge the enemy's center on heavy vehicles or on foot in the case of newer recruits, while the elite flank the enemy's sides, and distant artillery bombards the enemy. Sort of like a futuristic Zulu bull-with-horns strategy, with the support of heavy artillery.

I like it. Feels Iron Warrior like! Perhaps they're our parent legion?

Maybe the marines go in with melta guns and plasma guns in Rhinos, and a Termi Lord and Termi unit deepstrike in while a pack of Maulerfiends are wrecking havoc all over the battlefield?

Nice, I like it!

Who or what is the Brass Legion crusading against now?