/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Per Il Re E La Bandiera Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/bz29u7nhk3hapr8/Osprey - ELI 191 - Italian Navy & Air Force Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-45.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima_Flottiglia_MAS
mediafire.com/file/kt148ya1f1r3kmy/Osprey - CAM 093 - Verdun 1916.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun
[START
youtube.com/watch?v=OOJ62kMuTk0
youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
topsideminis.com/product/fatal-choices-coronel-falkland-islands-battle-set-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=bfQ5QyEwNc0
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12218/lille
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

19th December in military history:

211 – Publius Septimius Geta, co-emperor of Rome, is lured to come without his bodyguards to meet his brother Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (Caracalla), to discuss a possible reconciliation. When he arrives, the Praetorian Guard murders him and he dies in the arms of his mother, Julia Domna.
1562 – The Battle of Dreux takes place during the French Wars of Religion.
1675 – The Great Swamp Fight, a pivotal battle in King Philip's War, gives the English settlers a bitterly won victory.
1777 – American Revolutionary War: George Washington's Continental Army goes into winter quarters at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
1796 – French Revolutionary Wars: Two British frigates under Commodore Horatio Nelson and two Spanish frigates under Commodore Don Jacobo Stuart engage in battle off the coast of Murcia.
1941 – World War II: Adolf Hitler appoints himself as head of the Oberkommando des Heeres.
1941 – World War II: Limpet mines placed by Italian divers heavily damage the HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Elizabeth in Alexandria harbour.
1946 – Start of the First Indochina War.

It is 75 years since the Raid on Alexandria, a covert operation by Italian Navy divers of the Decima Flottiglia MAS, who attacked and disabled (but did not sink) two Royal Navy battleships in the harbour of Alexandria, Egypt, using manned torpedoes.

The submarine Scirè of the Italian Royal Navy had left La Spezia on December 3rd, carrying three manned torpedoes, nicknamed maiali (pigs) by the Italians. At the island of Leros, the submarine secretly picked up six crewmen for them: Luigi Durand de la Penne and Emilio Bianchi (nº 221), Vincenzo Martellotta and Mario Marino (nº 222), and Antonio Marceglia and Spartaco Schergat (nº 223).

On the 19th, Scirè—at a depth of 15 m (49 ft)—released the manned torpedoes 1.3 mi (1.1 nmi; 2.1 km) from Alexandria commercial harbour, and they entered the naval base when the British opened their defenses to let three of their destroyers pass. There were many difficulties for de la Penne and Bianchi. First, the engine of the torpedo stopped and the two frogmen had to manually push it; then Bianchi had to surface due to problems with the oxygen provider, so that de la Penne had to push Maiale alone to where HMS Valiant lay. There he successfully placed the limpet mine, just under the hull of the battleship. However, as they both had to surface, and as Bianchi was hurt, they were discovered and captured.

Questioned, both of them kept silent, and they were confined in a compartment aboard Valiant, under the sea level, and coincidentally just over the place where the mine had been placed. Fifteen minutes before the explosion, de la Penne asked to meet with Valiant's captain Charles Morgan and then told him of the imminent explosion but refused to give further information, so that he was returned to the compartment. Fortunately for the Italians, when the mine exploded just before them, neither he nor Bianchi were severely injured by the blast, while de la Penne only received a minor injury to the head by a ship chain.

Meanwhile, Marceglia and Schergat had attached their device five feet beneath the battleship HMS Queen Elizabeth's keel as scheduled. They successfully left the harbour area at 4:30 am, and slipped through Alexandria posing as French sailors. They were captured two days later at Rosetta by the Egyptian police while awaiting rescue by Scirè and handed over to the British.

Martellota and Marino searched in vain for an aircraft carrier purportedly moored at Alexandria, but after some time they decided to attack a large tanker, the 7,554 gross register ton Norwegian Sagona. Marino fixed the mine under the tanker's stern at 02:55. Both divers managed to land unmolested, but were eventually arrested at an Egyptian police checkpoint.

In the end, all the divers were made prisoners, but not before their mines exploded, severely damaging both HMS Queen Elizabeth and Valiant, disabling them for nine and six months respectively. Sagona lost her stern section and the destroyer HMS Jervis, one of four alongside her refuelling, was badly damaged. Neither of the two capital ships sank but they were out of action for some time.

This represented a dramatic change of fortunes against the Allies from the strategic point of view during the next six months. The Italian fleet had temporarily wrested naval supremacy in the east-central Mediterranean from the Royal Navy.

When most wargamers think of WW2 special forces, it's guys like the Brandenburgers, Rangers or Commandos. But there were some other fascinating groups too, such as these redoutable Italian frogmen. The Decima Flottiglia MAS makes an interesting choice for a gamer looking for something a bit different.

mediafire.com/file/bz29u7nhk3hapr8/Osprey - ELI 191 - Italian Navy & Air Force Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-45.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima_Flottiglia_MAS

This week also marks a century since the end of the Battle of Verdun. This colossal slaughter, which had begun on the 21st February, was one of the largest and longest battles of the First World War on the Western Front between the German and French armies. The battle took place on the hills north of Verdun-sur-Meuse in north-eastern France. The German 5th Army attacked the defences of the Région Fortifiée de Verdun and those of the French Second Army on the right bank of the Meuse. Inspired by the experience of the Second Battle of Champagne the year before, the Germans planned to rapidly capture the Meuse Heights, providing them with an excellent defensive position that would also allow them to bombard Verdun with observed artillery fire. The Germans hoped that the French would commit their strategic reserve to recapture the position and suffer catastrophic losses in a battle of attrition, as the Germans would have a tactical advantage. But this plan backfired as the Germans found themselves increasingly committed and were soon trapped in the same meatgrinder that they made for the French. The bitterly won defense became an immortal legend in France.

It lasted for 303 days and became the longest and one of the most costly battles in human history. An estimate in 2000 found a total of 714,231 casualties, 377,231 French and 337,000 German, for an average of 70,000 casualties a month; other recent estimates increase the number of casualties to 976,000, during the battle, with 1,250,000 suffered at Verdun during the war.

mediafire.com/file/kt148ya1f1r3kmy/Osprey - CAM 093 - Verdun 1916.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun

>A Challenger appears!
Tiny tonks make tiny mould lines that are hard to clean :(

daaaang thats small!

Just finished painting a batch of Chinese infantry for ostfront. Nuln oil is the shit. Next step is basing them, I have some balsa wood I cut into tiny bricks to use as street rubble - going to aim for a Shanghai-style basing of city rubble.

To the Netherlands user who got Edinburgh, the parcels arrived.

I think I'm gonna wait till Christmas to open this.

I made some progress on my SS gift.

Since i don't have any Brits for Bolt Action in my possession i had to convert the universal carrier a little bit, but with new heads for the minis, an additional passenger and a couple of bits inside the vehicle it looks very soviet (at least to me).

Thanks again for your gift user, i probably would not have bought an universal carrier for my Soviets, but now after having it built i think its a really nice looking addition to my existing forces.

looks awesome man! soviet bren is legit. They had 2500 shipped from canada, among others

DVG are on KS for a game called Sherman Leader, it's a solo game apparently which is good if you're a sad loner who can't find any gaming buddies like me ;_;

Interestingly you can add about $80 worth of GHQ minis as a $60 addon to replace the counters.

[START THE KICKS].com/projects/11606594/sherman-leader

From that name and layout I'm assuming it's a ground version of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader and friends

Same company, so yeah.

That looks really interesting.

I wonder why they did a Sherman-specific game though, instead of giving the player the option for other tanks (nations) as well. (But maybe that comes in the future).

The game seems very similar to "Pattons Best".

Good stuff, those are quality games

>tfw playing Conqueror on my uncle's Archimedes in the 80s rolling through the pixelated bocage in my lil Sherman hoping I don't ram right into a Tiger

Solitaire tank gaming is great

>Nuln oil is the shit.
Good, good.

I'm using the Army Painter inks - they have a range of colours, two of which are basically identical to the GW Classic Liquid Skill colours. I haven't tried the new inks since GW redid their paint line though.

Probably closer to Tiger Leader, again from DVG, but I've heard it's not as solid as Hornet/Phantom/Thunderbolt Apache Leader - the air games got the best design work. The Sub Leader games are apparently... sub-par.

TAL is fucking magic, though. Also has an optional upgrade pack of 3mm oddzial osmy minis to replace its counters, but I never bothered with that.

...I really should play the Cthulhu expansion for Hornet Leader one of these days. It has sanity rules in addition to the regular stress, and nuclear weapons.

I found Pax Britannica real cheap used

What the hell have I gotten myself into?

That looks a bit like Twilight Struggle: WWI edition.

Except it's for seven players and if WW1 breaks out the game ends immediately

Still needs highlights mate... looks lazy. Better effort than a lot of people though but the bar is not very high.

Its the allied version of DVGs Tiger Leader they released last year. Pretty solid game. uses a campaign system similar to what was in Thunderbolt Apache Leader.

Tiger Leader had SOME issues when it was released. There was a couple of unit cards that didnt get added in. a couple other minor issues. A kit was made to fix those issues and kick starter backers got it for free.

Dan is taking the issues that happened with Tiger Leader and making sure the same dont happen with Sherman Leader. its a solid system. I want to get both TL and SL.

If your a tank guy this game may appeal to you.

and a video from one of the few trusted reviewers I really like.
youtube.com/watch?v=OOJ62kMuTk0

I just saw that on their website.. $90.. wow.

Good to hear it arrived I had no clue waht you played/liked so I just bought stuff I wanted.. Mine hasnt arrived yet so I hope it gets here before Christmas.

Big box. a lot there. in my mind it worth it.

I see.

How is the quality of these cards? Good/thick paper or do they feel cheap?

good and thick..fiberweave if i remember correct. check out the video review i posted in

I'll watch it later, not much time to do it right now.

But if i like it i might get another christmas present for myself.

BRDM

Very nice weathering. Is that a Hungarian roundel?

Looks Ivorian to me, which makes sense considering the desert scheme/basing.

yeah I think you're right there user

Really Consim Press? 1 sheet of counters in "The Hunters" and a good 25-30% of them are blank?

Needs more passengers. You can fit at least another 5 or 6 guys in there.

Any word on whether Perry is doing another Battle in a Box deal? I would love to see one for any of their plastic ranges, and a WW2 one would be amazing.

Too many for a half-sheet and doing a half sheet and a smaller custom was more expensive?

thats the only thing i can think of. has got to be.

How do they manage to make riding on an open topped afv look dignified?

sooooo nice and neat once they are clipped

Those aren't heroic scale minis though.

I think the plan for the next one was either HYW or WotR but by no means take my word for it.

It would have been interesting to point out that the "name" was inherited by a warlord-like late war military unit (particularly beloved by Italian neofascist, as it was at least competent) led by Junio Valerio Scipione Ghezzo Marcantonio Maria dei principi Borghese. Yep, when the Fascist regime collapsed a italian noble took up recruiting people as a private army and struck a deal for equipment with the Germans. He was employed in anti-partisan activities and was completely out of the Fascist republican control - a common theme in civil wars, as we see today in Ukraine and Syria-. Even if it was never employed against the Allies, I swear there are some good models of them around.

Tbh, barely hal of the "original" X MAS remained under Borghese: a good number defected to the Kingdom of the South.

Ironically enough, Boghese would have been the CIA choice for a military dictatorship in Italy, and the tried in 1970: the myth goes that the Italian prime minister of the time, Andreotti, managed to get the Americans to support him and even suceeded in poisoning Borghese years later.

The history of NATO minors is fun.

see this cool badge, no idea what it is. aethstetic

>axis italian commandos

Why do the allies not have any cool imagery?

Fucking nazis and their allies, looking cool and shit

> 'Hey Luigi, have-a you looked at our-a badges recently?'
> 'Our badges?'
> 'The badges on-a our jackets, have-a you looked at them?'
> 'What? No? A bit?'
> 'They've-a got skulls on them'
> 'Hmm?'
> 'Have-a you noticed that our-a badges have-a little pictures of skulls on them?'
> 'I don't-a...'
> 'Luigi, are-a we the bad-a guys?'

Borghese is of course a famous Italian house, one member of whom had been married to Napoleon's stunningly beautiful sister Pauline.

I've read a little bit about Junio Valerio in the context of the Gladio Organization, and the crazy secret war stuff happening in Italy during the '60s and '70s.

The LRDG had a sexy scorpion

Skulls are a symbol for badass, not for bad.

A skull on a military unit seems honest IMO.

That is pretty cool

user was riffing on an old Mitchell and Webb sketch

youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

When it comes to skulls on things I'm a big Brunswicker fan, although the Prussian Death's Uhlans certainly deserve a nod.

I had no idea they survived past the Renaissance.

has anyone got Deus Dult burn & loot?

I don't know, the SS were fond of wearing both skulls AND black, and most of them were shit.

A common misconception. Black uniforms weren't overly common among the SS and only used for a short period before the actual war.

Can anyone reccomand a ww2 hex and chit game where counters equal approximately a platoon? Im looking for a source of scenarios for FFoT3 and using a hex and chit game would be easy. I already know about the Panzer Grenadier series; anything else out there?

Did you get yourself anything /hwg/ for Christmas?

I ordered some 6mm WWII

I used the Topside Minis promo to order the Coronel and Falkland islands set.

topsideminis.com/product/fatal-choices-coronel-falkland-islands-battle-set-2/

I didn't really need any counters for WWII stuff because I'm already invested in models, but I have no WWI stuff. Seemed like a decent investment.

Mm. Try some of the stuff from lock 'n' load games, World at War is platoon-per-chit (mostly - I think some units are handled differently) ww3, and I think Nations at War is the ww2 version - there are a lot of games, expansions, and scenarios.

they make good games, in general, although the main lock 'n' load series is squad level stuff.

they also have nuklear winter '68, which is platoon level... and a bit weird. basically ww2 went nuclear in europe, the nazis retreated underground and everyone else walled off the radioactive hellscape, now it's years later and nato (including the russians?) are peeking in, the nazis are peeking out, and oh hi there are mutants as a third party. it comes with a campaign that seems fairly short, looking at the dates and timeline - after all, the nazis can't hold out for long even with whatever wunderwaffe bullshit they've got, but it's pretty neat.

Got me some more War of the Roses cavalry and some European infantry to round out my army.

>Did you get yourself anything /hwg/ for Christmas?
tfw not allowing myself to buy anymore until I clear my backlog.

I wish.

Grabbing myself a pair of 15mm armies for my made up african nation.

Armoured cars for days.

>tfw i can't buy anything for myself becasue i haven't bought anyone else in my family anything

gawd..tons of them out there to be honest.
Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader, Panzer Grenadier like you mentioned, Tactical Command System (TCS) from MMP, Tank Leader series from West End Games, any of the Death Ride series,

list goes on. Just goggle platton level games wwII....

I don't know if we ever decided on what should be the current project, given the food project rolled over. I'd propose if we didn't decide, that we come up with some ideas and vote, with the idea that this next project will start the 1st of Jan, and roll over at the end of the month.

Thanks for the tips. I tried to goggle platoon level hex/chit games but only found results where you control a platoon. Phone posting from work so that's part of my problem

I've just watched the Tiger Leader review you recommended as well as this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=bfQ5QyEwNc0

Seems like a really good game, both guys recommend and like it.
Maybe i should get last minute gift for myself.

Generally an 'X-level' game means that X is the type of unit you're in control of (e.g. squad-level makes you a squad commander, platoon-level makes you a platoon commander with several squads etc.), so to command individual platoons you probably want company or maybe battalion-level games.

>youtube.com/watch?v=bfQ5QyEwNc0
well..thats the one Dan did for his own game..so yeah they are going to hype it. But yeah..its a good solid game. worth it and fun especially if you are a solo gamer

and you get to drive tigers! everyone should have a chance to drive a tiger at one point in their lives!

hit the folders in OP. the SPI and Avalon Hill folders. should be able to find some in there....S&T magazine folder....GDW folder....

>well..thats the one Dan did for his own game.

So thats the guy behind the Leader games? I didn't know that.

Regenboogforel has your secret santa arrived? Posted it 2 weeks ago now so I'm getting nervous.

as of today it hasn't arrived yet. Getting pretty nervous on my end as well. Hope the mail is just swamped and it'll arrive soon.

>Hope the mail is just swamped

You can bet it is.

It's international and we've had some postal strikes in the last week but I was hoping it would have snuck through as I sent it on the 6th or 7th which I thought would be early enough.

If it never turns up let me know, we'll sort something out.

My package to scotland arrived a couple of days back according to edinburgh user, but shit happens. How do I summon you oh mighty Hampshire user. I'll keep on waiting till after new year and after that well figure something out.

You sound like a nice dude

>How do I summon you oh mighty Hampshire user.
Rumour has it if you say my name three times whilst holding a photo or painting of the battle of Talavera that should do the trick.

Oh shit...my bad..I just saw the splash screen and though that was the one Dan did for Tiger Leader...sorry for the confusion

The stats of these tanks seem strange:
Attack 9 for the Pz 1, 6 for Pz4D, 5 for the Jagdpanther and 3 for the Tiger?

Lowest value is best? Why has the Tiger a better damage value than the Jagdpanther then?
Highest is best? Why has the Pz 1 a 3 times higher value than the Tiger?

The attack value is what you need to roll or higher on a D10 to score a hit. For every hit scored you pull a chit to see what the damage to the target is.

There are some modifiers that will give extra dice rolls.

So the Tiger would get 1 dice at 3 or better to hit.
The JgdPanter would get 1 dice...+1 to the dice roll if its a vehicle..and get a 2nd dice if it is stationary...so if its stationary and firing at a vehicle it gets 2 dice at a 4+ to hit

>How do I summon you oh mighty Hampshire user

Another Hampshire user here, you need to mention A Fistful of TOWs.

...now to wait for the other 3...or more... other Hampshire anons.

BMP

This thread needs more fortifications.

I need more fortifications

always loved Vauban's designs

Bump

Legit. They're like medals of valor pinned onto the land itself.

Imex's Korean War box with 6 sets of figures. Will be used as ARVN and NVA/VC for the Vietnam war and potentially late war WW2 figures with minor conversions. Other than that, HeroQuest.

SPI produced a game called Lille (which sadly we don't have), covering the 1708 siege of that city. Its map, one of the most popular SPI produced, was literally a Vauban plan with dots added to mark unit placings.

a detail
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12218/lille

i bought the TANKS game. If you guys are interested i can scan the rules or cards. Though nor sure how i feel about supporting potential freeloaders. All-in you can own the complete game with for casual use for +-50 euros.

The idea of having a skull as a symbol of daring in the Italian armed forces comes from the WW1 Arditi ("Those Who Dare"), a stormtrooper-like force of volunteers, picked among the craziest soldiers and trained to assault austro-hungarian trenches with daggers and grenades.

The Arditi had a huge impact on the popular culture of the politically-troubled 1920s Italy, and their imagery was co-opted by both fascists and anti-fascists alike.

Even today the Italian navy has a special forces unit nicknamed "Arditi Incursori" ("Daring Raiders") who are more or less the indirect heirs of the X MAS: the "COMSUBIN Teseo Tesei" ("Teseo Tesei Diver and Raider Command Group")

>US tank force
>Comet

wat

>Arditi
Gotta love that assault armour they had
Dudes were intense

Why are star forts so sexy?

The pleasing symmetry, perhaps?

Those glacis would have been terrible places to assault. There's a particularly horrible word: "flense"; it means to strip the flesh from a bone, and it's used by to describe what happens when a body of troops climb a glacis into grapeshot fire. Cornwell uses it a bit in Sharpe, and it always conjured the most horrible mental image for me.

gotta love them comets :) Also i wanted to turn it into a british force, but then because i couldnt be bothered with the black camo i had in mind.. i went for a US force. It was either the Pershing or the Comet which was going to be a problem