Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread - /fvgt/

Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread - /fvgt/
Welcome to the Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread. Here we aim to be the FLGS of Veeky Forums, finding free resources to make it easy for Veeky Forums users to jump right into traditional gaming, and
forming a small community around that. We also try to get various amounts of shit done, whether it's writing, homebrew, art, or whatever else deemed worthy of Veeky Forums. Have a project? Come and pitch it to us. Don't have one? Come and shoot the shit with us anyway.

1. Check the PDF for the game
2. Post a request for a game, using the suggested resource, either here or in the Game Finder Thread
3. If there's a particular game you're looking for that we don't have a resource as of yet, let us know and we can work to expand our list.
4. Finally, hang around and chat. There's always some crazy project someone is Working on.

>Current Projects
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RPG
-Night Shift RPG
-Setting up a dedicated Xmage Server for the enjoyment of Veeky Forums
-Dark Souls RPG
-Veeky Forums MUD Guild
-BattleBox3D resources.
-Various amounts of Art and Writing.
-Fading Embers

Well, Fading Embers has been one of the most successful projects we've done to date. In fact I got so busy with it I completely forgot to make this thread. Anyway, anyone got a new system or writefaggotry they want to share?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jpcQSmVUBGQ
youtube.com/user/BattleBox3D
roestudios.co.uk/project/3d-pokemon-models/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Fading Embers has been one of the most successful projects we've done to date. In fact I got so busy with it...
Yep, that's been me too.
I have a couple other projects, some not directly Veeky Forums related, that got paused so I could draw me some bears.
I'm probably limited to phone posting for the next few days now, but I remain committed to the philosophy of this thread.
As well as supporting gamers and would-be gamers in their efforts to find online traditional games and resources, although my experience is somewhat lacking.

I've had a bit of an idea. After Fading Embers of course, but... Magic: The Wargame.

Bumping, lots of good ideas here I'd like to see expanded on.

>Magic: The Wargame

Well... Fading Ember has already shown that digital models aren't that hard to make, and free tabletop software exists. It wouldn't be too hard to hack an existing system to use for it... I was tentatively going to suggest Heroscape.

Oh, and I am looking for the user that purchased Tabletop Simulator.

So what's Fading Embers?

The main thread for it is here, as is a decent explanation for it:

We should make pictures for the OPs of these threads
I feel this one could do something about that

I'm afraid I don't follow.
FLGS humor?

He's just shitposting. His post basically amounts to
>lol u got no friends xDDDD

He really needs a smug anime girl to go with it to really bring across the shittiness.

I was thinking on a "Save yourself from this, play online"

I understand and I'm off to commit sudoku

Hmm. Yeah, maybe we could include a couple of jokes in the OP image every now and then.

Bump.

>He's just shitposting. His post basically amounts to
>>lol u got no friends xDDDD
See, this was my first thought.
But then I stopped, re-read before responding, and came up with:
>I was thinking on a "Save yourself from this, play online"
Or something like it.
Sudoku is both unnecessary and unpronouncable.
Relax more...

Bump

Yeah, that's what I got from it.

bump

Give us something to talk about

Alright, what if we found a decent Visual Novel Engine, plugged a basic Towergirls setup into it, then provided a short guide explaining how to expand it. Boom. Towergirls Interactive Project that's actually Live.

>decent Visual Novel Engine

Twine?

Yeah, that actually looks pretty good.

Is there some way to load an image as a map object in Battlebox3d? Or do I need to set up an object and attach the image as a texture?

Have you checked the manual?

Where's that? I don't see any manual on the website, and it doesn't have any built-in help.

What do you mean by "map object"?
What are you trying to do?
I think I understand, but I'd like to be certain before exploring options.

Forgot what might be a helpful link:
youtu.be/jpcQSmVUBGQ

Like put an image down on the table, like a playmat. I assumed it would be an obvious feature that was probably already implemented..

Okay, and that's quite a bit more than I feel like dealing with at the moment.

Alright, tell you guys what. If you guys can keep this thread bumped through the night, I'll post the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon RPG by Tomorrow, 9:00 am MST.

bamp

Midnight bump.

Bunp

Magic: the Wargame is a bit of a mixed bag.
One the one hand you have a great wealth of established factions, characters, and weapons of war with tons of art to go along with it.
I could probably crank out enough 2d tokens to field all statted units in a day.
But all of that, every stitch, is copyrighted to hell and back.
That limits what you can do with it and it will always be derivative.
So you could make Not!Magic: the Wargame, but then you lose all the established art and world building.

And mashing all(or a lot) of M:tG into one setting in a balanced wargame sounds like a horrifying nightmare.
But, the kind of horrifying nightmare that Veeky Forums enjoys.

So yeah, a bit of a mixed bag.

Twine looks pretty impressive actually.
I've never seen this visual novel thing before.
It has definite traditional game potential, although, unless I'm mistaken, strictly a solo activity.

Still supporting the thread even if everyone is off pursuing projects or holiday activity.

Well, in all reality CYOA are much the same.

>But, the kind of horrifying nightmare that Veeky Forums enjoys.
So we'll wade in hip-deep, then declare Magic to be awful and "rework" it into the most driven and vocal user's OC/Magical Realm.

Nah. Fvgt has better taste than that... though I see your point. Perhaps we could finish one of the MTG RPGS instead?

Battlebox3d needs more models. I'd kill for some low poly plastic army men.

Some anons posted some pages with 3d stuff that was compatible with bb3d
There isn't much but there is enough to make something out of it

I wish I could get into digital sculpting.

I dug back through the archives, and the stuff they were posting was high-poly 3d printer stuff, and not in the right format for BB3D, which uses collada (.dae) models.
I wonder if /3/ would know where to get stuff.

Ok, so.. I made this 'workbook' which is just a bunch of forms, basically you print out each one as many times as needed for your world and it helps you figure out some things and make the setting a bit more fleshed out.

I was thinking of doing one for campaign building in general. Like, beginning middle end, main npcs, main goals, side goals, etc. Like an easily filled out form to help you focus and get an outline together so you can get a game going.

What do you guys think? What would you want to see in a "so you want to run a game?" book of worksheets like this? Any additional worldbuilding pages would be good too, can always add to it.

The easiest way is here:
youtube.com/user/BattleBox3D
Also featuring me.

bb3d dev

The Mud Connector still exists?

And the random pick I just saw is Rom 2.4b?

Holy fucking shit--I need to get back into MUDs.

I'll check this out in the morning and get back to you, user.

Thanks man

That was me who posted it. I suggested Meshmixer. If you can open a Word Document and save it as a PDF, you can use Meshmixer to export a .stl as a .dae file. There's also pre-built macros in the program to simplify models.

Alternatively, if you've got Tabletop Simulator, or know someone who does, all those models can theoretically be used. We're actually looking for someone to download and share those models with us. The latest BB3D update will support .obj files.

Neat.

I wish I could get back into digital sculpting.

I need to fix/upgrade my computer so I can get into this.

Have a bump guys

Alright, so I'm going to dump all the ideas I don't have time for right now because I'm working on all the projects that have already gained traction:

-Pokémon Skirmish Game with a Campaign focus. Because that's really the only way that controlling multiple Pokémon would work in tabletop. Use a modified skirmish game to handle Pokémon battles, and hook it up to a rules-lite RPG system for trainer and out of battle conflict resolution. Not to mention the abundance of miniatures, and the fact that 3d textured Pokémon models are already available for BB3D and TTS users: roestudios.co.uk/project/3d-pokemon-models/

-Shin Megami Tensei/Digimon: see above, but with modified mechanics and wider story focus.

-MegaMan Battle Network RPG: would probably involve modifying Mutants and Masterminds or Savage Worlds.

-Find the GURPS of Generic Universal Wargames, because we need it.

-Succession Games: we need more ways to generate interesting stories that Veeky Forums can get involved in as a community. Someone starting up a Dorf Fort Succession, or other games would be awesome.(suggestions might include an insanely modified Skyrim, Pokémon, or Dungeon Keeper, though this is probably getting too Vidya)

if you want a generic wargame, the classic SPI style is almost universal these days

Only the more I think about it, the more I suspect you're talking about a tactical, miniatures based system.