Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Familiar edition! Who are your faithful companions? How do they support you? Do you support them in turn?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11905158
strawpoll.me/11905768
paizo.com/threads/rzs2twzb&page=3?Forrestfire-Studios-A-new-company-a-unique#113
youtube.com/watch?v=OwIkMq3u-2A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My character knighted a baby owlbear in our session last night, and now it's an Emissary Familiar.

Familiars are shit crutches for faggots who don't want to actually roleplay. HURR LOOK AT ME I HAVE A RAVEN AREN'T I SO KAWAII AND CLEVER HIS NAME IS QUOTH HURR HURRRRRRRRRR

fuck familiars and people that use them and any other companion like class feature they're all shit for shitpeople.

>kitsunefag upset he didnt get to post his shitty animoo

Get quoth'd fgt

I'm not the kitsunefag you fucking dicksucking faglord, go suck your DIVINE STEED'S horsecock and leave this hobby and all others you fucking retarded pedophile creep assburger bestialist

What are you using to replicate a Baby Owlbear's stats?
Nosoi and Pseudosphinxes are pretty cool.

I don't understand this meme.

You seem upset.

user pls. I have more than enough from the elections

Whoops forgot to take off the trip.

We're not sure yet! It's not going to be something that fights, so we'll probably just pick a decent familiar/master benefit and have its stats be "adorable" beyond the Emissary abilities.

What about faggots who do want to roleplay?

Yes, this is a good representation of the stromwindfag from last thread
9/10 Excellent imitations, I almost couldn't tell the difference.

Mori, his horse and Shuvuu his hawk, faithful companions, links to the spirits beyond, and his best friends. He spoils them rotten.

Posting one more time though I dont think I need to. Potential campaign coming up being run by /pfg/ for /pfg/. Just a couple ideas I think are fun and I would like to run and some input from people who would like to run in a campaign. Thanks for your help guys, you have given me a lot of direction already to make this all that it can be!~

strawpoll.me/11905158
strawpoll.me/11905768

I have my talking sword and my brother has his capuchin monkey, together shenanigans ensues.

Just looked through the paizo familiar list,
anyone heard of a petrifern before? The fuck is this little thing?

I want to give you my all, user! I need to go hard and deep into your setting!

Based off of whatthe results are now, what general ideas/plans do you have for the campaign?

My alchemist has a... I guess a tumor that mutated into a thrush. It doesn't really come up much, since it's mostly there to help with crafting. Sooner or later it's just going to pop out of his arm and surprise the shit out of the other PCs.

The kitsune sorcerer I played as a joke once can have his relationship with his familiar summarized by pic-related.

This is the Molthune Comfy Knights, right? This sounds great.

>DIGGING!
For honor and glory!
>DIGGING
For England!

Just posted an update to the Avowed with catches and changes from peoples' comments last night. Now I've gotta go for a bit. Can be found here. paizo.com/threads/rzs2twzb&page=3?Forrestfire-Studios-A-new-company-a-unique#113

>he named his horse 'horse' and his bird 'bird'

Be gentle at first, she is still in early development.

Yes.

It looks like the basics are going to be a comfy Molthune setting, the PCs will be landed knights so gold and resources are not a problem. Instead they will be more concerned about keeping their village(s) happy and ensuring the safety of the peasants, doing courtly business, and mixing in some politics and intrigue. Molthune is a fairly volatile area and there is a lot that needs to be done to keep your lands and holdings safe.

DWARFQUEST

>Knightgame

Could I play a Lawful-Good kobold grappleknight?

>Molthuni Knights keeping villagers safe from rebels who keep stealing from or destroying their farms in the name of "the good fight"
I want this so badly. Even better if we work within the system to better protect ALL the people of Molthune, not just our villages or the nobles.

Anything's possible if you try!

What would you make, Senpai? This campaign sounds comfy, I don't know what I want to make!

I have not worked out the rules yet but if you do I would expect a compelling backstory as to how your kobold ended up being knighted. Molthune is a militaristic land and anything is possible!

I may include CRUSADES to reclaim lost lands fallen to rebels or diplomatic emissaries to the evil empire nearby.

>a PFG without a weebshit OP image

N-NANI??

Why not conduct the CRUSADE against Nidal?

>Evil
>Like, really evil
>Would give Molthune coastal access
>Nobody likes them!

I'd make a kitsune who used to be a fox in Fangwood and got adopted by a group of soldiers, then rose through the ranks of the Molthuni army after being awakened.

I want to play a soldier under her command who was raised to knighthood himself, but still calls her "sir!"

Nidal is allied with Cheliax. Maybe later in the game you might be strong enough to take on the Devils but not early on.

If it's 3pp+gestalt might re-purpose Silvia if I don't get into RotJR, or at least her build. Otherwise, maybe some kind of tactician/noble themed Hedgewitch. I rather like the idea of being something like an intelligence officer who gets put in charge of a plot of land and has to learn to fight to protect his people. I also like the idea of being a loose cannon elite soldier sent away due to behavior, who has to learn to command and take care of those he needs to protect.

Do you think either a slaveborn-turned-citizen Halfling or Gnome would fly? Feeling a small pally or cavalier right now

I'm not a big fan of dual apping, but if you want to get in touch with me just shoot me a message on IRC or roll20.

Depends on if we have to be martials or not; I have this tickling mental image of a warrior-mage (though not a magus, becuase the spell list isn't what I want); a brilliant tactician and knightly fellow who uses arcane spells to aid his allies and hamper his foes while putting his cunning mind to the tactics and strategy of victory.

If an Inquisitor multiclasses into cleric, does he or she get 1 more domain or 2?

It's a pint-size ent to carry around.

Sounds like you need more colorsnake familiars/mounts in your life.

And familiars are neat. It gives you an excuse to have a friendly pet, that can also help do things like scout.

Colorsnake Riding Couatl is best

He gets to choose two cleric domains as normal. However, the levels in inquisitor and cleric don't stack for the purposes of determining domain powers.

Ok. But if they wanted, they could take the same domain they already had for the domain spells?

Yes.

>tfw I'll never have a Familiar in real life

I've honestly wanted to play a Witch for a while, but don't know what to pick for an Improved Familiar and I don't know whether to look for a base familiar that flies or one that gives an Init bonus.

They're all adorable so that doesn't help.

Cheliax is a fair weather ally with Nidal, odds are they'd break the alliance if it meant war with a powerful Molthune and Andoran.

>Kitsune Commander
>Dutiful Subordinate raised to command

It sounds like this could get real cute if he was the one that took care of her while she was an animal!

Hey guys.

Looking to build a Caster Occultist. But I'd prefer to not pick up Necromancy or Conjuration- WELL more specifically I don't want to bother with summoned minions. If one can do something effective with Necro or Conj without summoning I'm not opposed to picking up the implements.

But reasonable sure that leaves me with some form of Controller or Blaster. Any good builds or suggestions for this?

Point buy 25, No 3rd party except Psionic books, starting at 5th going to 15th.

Fund it.

I'd recommend a Packmaster Hunter on one side.

Gonna commune with your fox, you fucking degenerate? Suck your prepared spells out of it's yiffy dick? Disgusting.

>have 29 HP at level 1
Nice

I want to build a character around [Profession (Cuddler)]. What's the best race/class combo?

I'm thinking a halfling for that +4 racial bonus on profession (driven worker replacing sure footed). And a +2 (3 times per day) from adaptable luck.

Strangler Brawler

Or do you just want to minmax that profession check? Because if you really want to I can throw it through the fucking roof.

Play anything that wants to mono-focus on a single stat while not dumping Wisdom, then take Brevoy Bandit as a trait.

The fuck does a cuddler do? Is it just a male prostitute without sex?

How? d12 HD, FCB, Toughness, and 20 con is 21.

I think there's some Shoanti feats that grant you extra HP as well.

>barbarian
>20 con
>rage
>FCB
>toughness
>tribal scars

Why Packmaster Hunter?

>implying communing has to be physical, sexual contact

Why would you even imply that?

Professional cuddlers cuddle people of all sexes.

They make you feel relaxed, comforted and help you let down your guard. Because the character in question is a halfling, there's often baked goods involved, maybe some tobacco or alcohol (though this usually frowned upon by shelynites, caydenites are pretty keen on it) and probably the brushing of hair too.

It was sort of meant to be a gag character, but yeah, lets minmax the fuck out of this halfling cuddler, and we'll take brevoy bandit to swap profession to charisma based.

I found reference to "rare cantrips" and this line confuses me:

"These cantrips are not legal in official organized play"

What even? Do people roll up characters and go score points based on role-playing to win prizes, what even?

It's the best class for an animal lover, since you've got multiple pets, and it also sets up a backstory with him calling off the dogs on a fox hunt. Plus sets up for The Fox and the Hound with a happy ending.

A good alternative would be a paladin for the respect for rank.

Organized play is PFS aka Pathfinder Society.

youtube.com/watch?v=OwIkMq3u-2A

I dont want to link you the buzzfeed one.

Whaaaat's this? You fuckers some kinda cult?

>It was sort of meant to be a gag character, but yeah, lets minmax the fuck out of this halfling cuddler, and we'll take brevoy bandit to swap profession to charisma based.
You're not a halfling anymore son, you need wisdom.
level 4 human (oracle 1/shaman 1/vigilante 1/investigator 1)

>20 wisdom (18 base + 2 racial)
>+3 wisdom (aging)
>+1 wisdom (leveling)
>+2 wisdom (headband)

>4 (ranks)
>+3 (class skill)
>+8 (wisdom)
>+10 (nature's divination)
>+4 (shaman spirit of the city)
>+10 (knowledge amulet)
>+8 (inexplicable luck)
>+4 (legalistic curse)
>+4 (social grace)
>+3 (skill focus)
>+2 (trait)

+60 to Profession (Cuddler) at level 4

Probably a deific obedience that might help too.

Let me put it this way: Even the most autistic people in /pfg/ despise PFS. It's a literal cesspool of people who no sane GM would allow into their group. And that's on top of all the other problems with it, like the GM's not being allowed to change anything...

It's Paizo's endorsed method of playing their game.

It's shit.

What's bad about it? How do they play?

PFS is why shit like Jingasa and Bracers of Falcons Aim got nerfed, as well as asinine nerfs to Crane Wing and countless other bullshit errata.

The PFS adventures are easy-tier shit that even the standard blaster wizard-healbot cleric-rogue-fighter party can take them with no issue and the minimal appearance of a challenge is met with heavy whining until it's nerfed into oblivion.
Due to this same whining, plenty of options that are decent but appear broken to these same players who don't have any game proficiency at all are banned.

They don't understand how the game works, so it's a case of 'the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.' Make anything that an actually perform competently and they think it's OP and nerf it.

I don't actually. I was the president of a TTRPG club in college and used PFS as a means of standardizing play for essentially the "masses" of people who would come in. It was quick and easy for when I didn't really care to craft a game.

Thanks user. I dont think I'm going to take it to that level of minmaxing, but I'll happily use more than a few of your things.

Badly.

Like, the encounters are badly designed, and the balance adjusted by forum-screaming from clerics and wizards who get all triggered by some martial succeeding at anything at all because that reminds them of their time in highschool and pathfinder is supposed to be a safe space. (oh you poor naive fool you think I'm kidding don't you....)

So shitass encounters like "here are four goblins, one for every two of you" exist, but so do "see, this is a boss fight because this orc right, he's wearing full plate, and gets one attack a round, so he's hard to hit and hits hard back, which will be an epic battle".

Then someone uses, say, a gunslinger, goes "huh? what AC?" and we find out the orc boss had like 20HP.
*guess what gets nerfed next*.

But there's also encounters like "the party of level 5s encounters a pack of sirens, and anyone failing the instantaneous-on-them-spawning-within-range-like-in-old-console-RPGs will DC is immediately put under their control, leading to a one-round TPK if the party didn't have the specific full casters with these specific spells prepared ahead of time: ...."

And that's how you get shit like crane-wing monks nerfed (being able to block one melee attack per round total at the cost of some of your own is broken because the boss only attacked once despite having a BAB of like +8), and how insufferable neckbeards of the most stereotypical "it has to be pure rules" kind gather to play this stuff, and then proceed to - as we've discovered - dictate further errata based on how things went for them.

... let's not even talk about the optimization level. *forrest gump is not allowed to cast spells and his dex is negative to help him avoid hits in his leather armor because he's a bard* is basically the default expected of all except the party mage.

I forgot, 1d20+1d6+60 (the 1d6 is inspiration).

That can be done!

He's a Constable Cavalier, so he could have intervened in minor crimes and gotten a place in the town guard of some place. Maybe from there have had a notable impact on a rebel attack or somesuch.

Maybe pick up the Renown-getting feats, since a police and then knighted kobold would cause a bit of a stir.

>That one wizard/sorcerer/FUCKING WITCH that forgets they have a fox/whatever following them

It's not only my group, is it?

Well considering I forgot about my snake familiar? No, not just your group.

That sounds genuinely adorable!

I never forget about my familiar.

My last character has a Raven familiar named Edheren. He cursed in orcish constantly, was an alcoholic, and was generally a piece of shit.

/pfg/ might actually be interested in that character. It was in a political intrigue game and dating/courting was important to the overall game. My character came from a country where polygamy was acceptable and common (it was complicated), so he was looking to marrying two girls from the same family in fact.

Even as someone who likes playing classes that actually get companion creatures, even I slip up some sessions with the rest of the group and forget about my companion(s) due to how events are playing out. Whether it's forgetting that my oracle has a the tiger constantly glued to his leg, or the cat that's permanently draped over the sorcerer's shoulder, or the Paladin's horse, or the alchemist's Homunculus who really shouldn't poKE THAT THAT'S DANGEROUS YOU ALREADY DIED ONCE.

I'd marry a pair of sisters, I think. Save the parents some money on two weddings.

Half-Orc Mormon?

I make sure to integrate my companion/familiar to my character, I simply don't understand how people can forget that they have them.

Outside of roleplay, most of them don't do shit, unless you're creative.

Besides that, people who aren't as "good" at the game, or who are still getting used to it, are overwhelmed by the system, so they forget details like the cat in their pocket.

As a DM, I think it would just be funny if when they finally remember it you tell them "Mittens? You forgot him in that pit trap 3 sessions ago, man."

>tfw no dual-app of twins using Iridian Fold feats.

>cursing
>alcohol
>mormon
doesn't seem to add up chief

Favorite Kaiju?

>cursing
>Alcohol
Half-Orc

>polygamy
Mormon

Everything checks out here

My character was actually a changeling.

His ancestry was:
>1/2 hag
>5/16 human
>3/16 orc
The orc didn't show through much.

He was the only son of the ruler of a mountainous nation called Edheren (his bird was named after it) that the Quinns has conquered some 800 years previous during The Conquest of the First Quinn (an event that the first Quinn conquered an enormous swath of land that eventually fell back to this one stretch of mountains). We were an ancient house in their twilight. The character's father was evil. My character was let go for some reason to make it to summer court, during which he garnered allies and possible marriages.

He was marrying into the country's military power. He was likely to marry the first daughter of two of the branch families. One of which was a druid who saw my character as an intelligent schemer and slightly unhinged madman bent on recreating the conquest of the first quinn, the other saw my character as a rock of stability despite their rather similar terrible family situations.

I was also courting other people, but they were the main two.

My character's titles, when he ascended to his throne (his father actually turned out to be a worm that walks, it was a long story), would have been:

Theobaldus Ignatius Quinn, Bearer of Crashing Dawn, Ruler of the Raven Throne, Lord Paramount of Edheren, Voice of the Father, The Raven's Folly, The Last Quinn.

The game ended after a year and a half of regular play, it was a wild ride.

I like Gamera! He's a friend to the children!

Except its against mormonism to drink alcohol, and most mormons I've met avoid cursing as much as possible

>that parentage
What did you have a family tree?

That's why it's Half-Orc Mormon, not a Mormon Half-Orc. It's the Half-Orc's version of Mormonism.

>It's the Half-Orc's version of Mormonism.
So the RLDS?

>All core sources are allowed. By core I mean a hard back book printed by Paizo. If you want to use something from one of the Chronicles, Companions, etc. you are welcome to do so, from one book. After you have selected a softcover then you may not select any other material from any softcover but the one you chose.

Post you're fucking face

Or alternatively, the Masked Identity feats/vigilante for the other side of a gestalt.

Just buggering around doing the vigilante do, and someone sees fit to make him a sort of honorary knight, but is then surprised when he actually shows up to claim it. He then delegates an amount of his duties to his 'aide' (read:his social identity).

Not sure how much that'd mesh with the game you got in mind, but it's a possibility.

Or I mean he could just be an Exposed vig I suppose. Gives up the secrecy for his knighthood, seeing it as an opportunity to better inspire JUSTICE.

So the polygamy was cultural bleed over from orcs. Orcish culture supports a odd merits based value system. Polygamy is common. After ruling over and living among orcs for centuries the Quinn family, also after marrying orcs into the family, became more orc like in culture.

The hag my character was birthed by had in fact been influencing the family for centuries as well. The Hag Mother I believe was in reference to The Crone, a figure in The Ballad of the First Quinn (a telling of the first quinn's tale). The Crone spoke of The Sun and Moon (sisters the first Quinn fell in love with and the reason for his conquest), and set in motion both the conquest and the first quinn's follow. As well as the creation of the guardian artifact of the family, Crashing Dawn.

The other influence on the family was that of Orenthal's Madness, also known by my character as That Which Lay in the Dark. In the back of the oldest family tomb there is a fissure, which when crawled through leads to a bottomless chamber filled with writhing maggots. Among the maggots was a malignant intelligence that had influenced the character's father (turned him into a Worm that Walks).

So a game between an ancient hag and ??? in the back of the tomb had torn the character's family apart for centuries