/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: /pol/ edition

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: What is best UA?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BaeNelsAOGo
vocaroo.com/i/s0xBAJRQfzAi
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for 5e > 4e

threadly reminder: loot used to be called treasure

Second for 4e is a good resource.

YESSSSSSS

From the recent ones, Monk was.
From all UA, I vote for Kits of Old.

>Reposting from last thread.

How is this for a racial trait for a lobsterfolk people who carry and collect tons of useless shit in their travels?

Whosits and Whatsits: Nephro karkinoi have an eye for trinkets and tend to pick up things in their travels. You have proficiency in Investigation checks and begin the game with three Trinkets (roll on trinket table). In addition, as an Action, you may declare you have any single item which you have picked up in your travels. This ability functions as the spell Prestidigitation, except it only creates a non-magical trinket. This is also not considered a magical ability, but the use of some random item on the character’s person. This can be done once per long or short rest.

Combat takes 1 minute and DOESN'T remind me of FFT?
Sign me up! NOT.

i dig it. a bit abstract for 5e though. but if you're fine with it.

i stopped playing tabletop and started playing ys on the pce-cd and ys is the better game

Check this out for inspiration, it has something very similar. I'd recommend not doing trinkets as that doesn't really seem like a racial but more as a background.

>Player in my group wanted to be a very specific type of character
>Decide to have some fun and make a few custom spells and feats for said character
>Player shows up to three sessions and promptly falls off the map
>Player sucked at RP so this character has zero personality
>I'm stuck RPing this character while the party bumbles around in the Underdark until they leave which is probably a few sessions away. If I make him just disappear the party is just gonna go looking for him.

Fucking why do people do this to me I just want to DM a fun campaign

Even at its lowest, TRPGs are top tier dungeon crawlers, even without visuals, audio or complex calculations they have what is akin to a futuristic AI coming up with tailored adventures and controlling every part of the world to make it more fun. Also, Ys is meh.

I run it like a skill challenge from 4e, with successes at inventive skill checks allowing players to dramatically shorten combat, and the failure condition being a race to succeed before taking damage.

The NPC's are allowed to do more damage as well with appropriate skill checks.

The skill checks are things like "I lift the floodgates to wash away my enemies".

These new Paladin Achetypes are great and all, but I want more Rogue archetypes/more stuff for Rogues in general.

But like, good Rogue stuff.

YOU MOTHER F*CKER

Does 5e still have green slime? Drop some green slime on him, characters don't come back from that shit.

Your sticking to "the law" has nothing to do with what Good is. Try again. Neutral characters are willing to break or bend the Law to do Good, not breaking Good to do Good. You can't get more Good by doing that, since the only act you get points for is the part where you break Good, not the later consequences of that action; if you have a chance to kill a Lich and you don't, you don't become less Good.

Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash

A cardiganed couple walks slow circles around the little black boy sitting on the curb, his "FREE BABY" sign tear-stained and flapping in the breeze churned up by passing buses. eyebrows cock and brows furrow as the middle aged professionals play wordless poker with the nine month old boy's desperate eyes
"Is it worth the risk?"
"I dunno. It's such a tough call, once in a while it's a legit deal but 80% of the time, something's wrong. I don't see anything, it's probably internal."
"It's fine. We can keep looking."

I should clarify that the power doesn't create trinkets, but like the non-magical objects Prestidigitation normally can make

>tfw

no stream?

>I have a shit GM so vidya is better
Games still have their value and I play a lot of them but trpgs are impossible to actually beat in a straight up race.

For best as in strongest, Mystic.
For best as in most useful, Ranger

im stopping like every two minutes to shitpost in /5eg/ and eat pizza

Yeah I meant the part where you start with more trinkets, it doesn't really fit a racial trait IMO.

Reposting from the last thread, I'm gonna start DMing soon for the first time, and I'm trying to make sure that my players who play martials can do interesting stuff outside of combat like the casters can.

For the record, my players are a Human Bard, Halfling Fighter, Human Warlock, Elf Paladin, and Dwarf Ranger.

Is there a good way to make sure that my Martial characters can have an interesting time in and out of combat? The Fighter and Paladin are pretty creative, I was thinking of giving them a small pool of Grit Points that they could add to their skill checks if they were doing something I thought was creative/interesting/stupid enough?

a beautiful life

It's only part of the whole trait anyways, and it's mostly for flavour.

>lobsterfolk
You're really reaching for new race ideas.

Why not create some actually interesting and usable homebrew content, like feats? Those can be used by other people. Whereas unless some DM is going to have 200+ freakshow races in his dumb-ass setting, no one needs to see Anthropomorphic Race #2342. It's boring, it's uncreative, and it's just a waste of everyone's time.

don't change the rules steve

Why not? A Jew race would start with more gold, so what's wrong with a race starting with more trinkets?

That's retarded, just explain to the party that trying to RP as this character for no good reason is stupid and they can pretend he's there but he's going to be quiet and be abstracted away from combat involvement if the player isnt there. The DMG has some suggestions for what to do if players go AWOL

i want to play a pixie hexblade named Juno w/ a TERRIBLE secret

If you don't have much experience homebrewing maneuvers for them or something won't end up too well probably. You can just be permissive, allow out of the box shit and give out advantage when appropriate based on this, don't just use advantage for class features and stuff. Use the revised ranger. Grit points won't do too much I think, but that depends on how you use skills. It won't break anything at least.

But doesn't anyone actually hit each other with weapons?

Because it's a campaign that takes place entirely underwater, and I want appropriate races.

Bitch somewhere else.

What if they were tauric creatures with the lower half of a lobster, and the upper half of a human. Or vice versa.

They'll get there in two weeks, won't they?

i am a walking butthole with claws and i can survive pressure cookers and the cold dry vacuum of space

Sure. Mostly it's spells, cantrips, and grapple attempts.

anyone else listen to old cassettes for trad game inspiration?

youtube.com/watch?v=BaeNelsAOGo

Is the secret a penis?

they're taking a holiday break, no more UA until next year

no!!

Make sure your game has stuff for them to do. Let the Ranger track stuff, let the athletic characters climb, things like that.

Bard is a skill monkey anyway, and your best caster, so he's probably going to have the biggest impact outside the combat, but that's just his class.

>if they were doing something I thought was creative/interesting/stupid enough?
You know you can just give them Inspiration whenever they do things like that, right?

oh daaang

Oh god I completely forgot that was a thing.

gay

Just tell the martials to learn what things they can do other than the attack action. Casters can do that stuff too, but the players usually ignore actions that aren't spell-related, and are less likely to have the stats to succeed opposing strength rolls anyway. Same thing for out of combat, your ranger should be great at the wisdom and strength skill checks, and I'm assuming the halfling is dex-based. Your casters will mainly be charisma-based and the warlock won't get to cast many spells anyway, so they'll all be in a similar boat.

Do you have this homebrew jew race? I would very much like to use this.

Does the Enlarge spell effect a creature's ability to carry weight?

Then why even play 5e? The entire game is built around the combat system, it's the only part of it that has any serious thought put into it. The entire pace of the game is centred around how many combat encounters you have per day and how many resources you use up per each one, which is in turn balanced around how difficult you expect the encounter to be, which is determined essentially by the HP, attack bonuses and damage dealt by the enemies in that fight. If you're stripping out all of that then why not just play a completely different system and cut all the (now pointless) book keeping?

>Winter Break

>Wizards of the Coast is closed for its winter break from December 26 through January 2. Our next Unearthed Arcana installment will be on Monday, January 9, 2017.

insert sad frog face

But I want it NOW!

This to be honest famalamadingdong

Shoving is vastly underrated. Having a stronk character throw someone to the ground and grapple them is how you have the rest of your team murder them in a single round. If any of your players use a shield, show them the shield master feat too. Shit is rad.

Is the secret ur a gay?

First, the Paladin isn't a true martial. Nigga has like half spellcasting progression, which is still better than, say, an EK, on top of Channel Divinity, Smites, aura shit, whatever else. Rangers, on the other hand, are martials despite having the same progression as Paladins, because they fucking suck.

You gotta be real careful about letting the Paladin play with the same martial-fixing toys as the Fighter, because the Paladin can actually DO SHIT with magic and class abilities outside of a fight; he's useful in exploration and social encounters, where the Fighter really isn't. So if you're unwilling to let the Fighter arbitrarily do things the Paladin (essentially pretending they are now Fighter class features), the Paladin is still just going to outshine him, since he can do all of that and then some. Hell, the fucking BARD is going to try and get in on the action, too.

Because that's the pitfall of making every zany idea a skill check. d20 is a huge fucking range and the difference in stats for a Fighter or Barb and a Paladin or Bard is, like, two. You can give one of them a bonus, but they're still gonna fuck up while some other guy doesn't.
So what you want to do is just outline some shit that the real martials can do that you're either not going to let anyone else even attempt, or the martials are going to automatically succeed while others have to roll. Is that fair? Yes, even if the casters whinge, because they get to go to another dimension, pull 8d6 AoE damage out of their ass, and summon elementals, while the Fighter waits until level 11 for his third attack to kick in. Whoopee.

Yes. Look up carrying/encumbrance rules.

Use this time to play some games.

Any other DMs giving their players some winter-holiday themed downtime events in game? My players will get theirs as soon as they (hopefully) kill this upcoming boss. Then they get a level up and can enjoy some downtime shenanigans.

... yes...

If the game is built around the combat system, I've got some bad news for you. 5e is the worst RPG since fatal.

No one has to do anything for you, faggot.

Then it's not a secret.

>fatal
vocaroo.com/i/s0xBAJRQfzAi

So what are these things you're going to let the martials do? Just train your mind back on 80s action movies and cartoons.

Do they want to pick up an enemy and throw them? Go ahead, no roll, and you can toss then more than just one tile.
Do they want to crunch through a thin-nish stone wall with a giant maul? Yeah, go to town for a few rounds. It's loud, but whatever.
Are they trying to kick the door in? It's a fucking DC 20, you know they're going to do it if they roll long enough, so just fucking LET THEM right off.
Guess what, Ranger and Fighter, any improvised weapon attack you make that I think is interesting arbitrarily does 5d4 because I fucking said so.
You want to throw a javelin or shoot an arrow at the enemy wizard's spell focus and knock it out of his hand? Here's an easy-as-shit check just for you, because the Bard would just Mage Hand that shit and that doesn't even cost a spell slot.
You can jump twice as high or far as the book says, no check, just fucking because, and I'll give you some situational advantage if you do it while attacking someone because that sounds awesome.

You just go ahead and make some fucking Cool Shit Passes and hand them to the Fighter and the Ranger, maybe give ONE to the Paladin, and say, "You can slap this down whenever you want to do some cool shit and we'll see." They get them all back on a short rest.

I really, really recommend checking out Burning Wheel. It's not exactly this but it seems way better for what you are aiming for than 5e.

oop

BW is very crunchy, isn't Torchbearer better?

What else is it built around? 95% of features have a strictly in combat benefit. The skill system is weak, spells are the only real good way to do things out of combat via the mechanics.

Thanks, can't believe I missed that. Enlarge only enlarges whatever is being carried by the creature when the spell is cast on them, right?

Presumably, yes.
But if you're the DM, rule it however you like.

Yeah Torchbearer is simpler and Mouse Guard even more so, but my impression was that he disliked the combat because it was bad, not just because it was crunchy.

>because the Bard would just Mage Hand that shit and that doesn't even cost a spell slot.
Why wouldn't you rule "forcefully taking something of the other person's" as an attack? Mage Hand can't attack, IIRC, so using it in the way you describe doesn't sound like it groks with RAW.

I have. I'm slowly indoctrinating my group to the idea that other RPG systems are worth trying.

I'd say it's a sleight of hand check unless you are up close and taking it from them in which case it works like disarm or grapple or something.

Because it's theft, not battery.

I prefer to give them checks that they're gonna pass basically regardless of what they roll.

It's a matter of perception. They think they had a chance to fail. If they roll something so low even they don't think they passed, then let them fail it. But otherwise, "fuck yeah, you did it!"

That means not being a fuckhead and treating nat 1s like auto fails on skill checks too. I always remind my players, especially martials, to always give me the total even if it's 1, unless it's an attack as per the rules. This means as your martial gets even more stronk they will eventually never fail any of these checks. And you can stop rolling altogether, and now your player feels like they progressed and the magic guys won't feel like you just gave them free shit.

Of course, more rolls means a bit slower gameplay. But in my experience players fucking love to roll shit.

Yeah, I'm just trying to make sure there aren't any rules I'm overlooking.

>Mouse Guard
I want to play this so much, but my friends think this is stupid (they never read it tho)

do mine eyes deceive me ? -sits in leather chair + fans powdered face- its as if youve.. revealed the truth behind his lie.. Mein Gott..

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools

Bestiary, items, and spells now have filtering capabilities.

>he thinks spells follow the rules
Cute.

This. Mage hand to dump the arrows out of a ranger's quiver? Slight of hand.

Otherwise, attack roll or opposed check depending on what you like to do for trying to disarm people.

[An image of a surprised owl, saying "Oh really?"]

I can see a sleight of hand check if the wizard isn't actually holding it at the time: which, if you're in combat, he probably is. Out of combat is absolutely fair game.
????

Play a real game, dungeon babies.

>bestiary
>items
>fuckin spells
good shit mate

A lot of editions, even pathfinder, have some good resources. Source material, that sort of thing.

vader was kewl in rogue one huh ladz

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████

fail whale says "Please Respect Your Players"

Damn, nigga. You my nigga.

>Not even classic WoD changing breeds
total pleb

WW:tA was great

STAND ASIDE, PLEBS
THE MASTER SYSTEM IS COMING THROUGH

Yeah, pretty kewl tbqh.
Makes me wonder a bit why he had the shitty storm troopers go into Leia's ship and get shot at in episode 4 if he can just show up and fuck everyone up like that.

But I know that's a silly complaint seeing as they were made so far apart.

Anyway, how can we stat Donnie Yen?

my char in upcoming game

Stats :-
Height = 9 foot 2 inches tall
Sex = Hermephrodite
Race = Half Moon elf/ Half (if any f you remember isis ot at least what her race was please tell me anyway its some kind of demon)
Parents = Raven Ferenan - Isis
Father to = Crystal, Jade
Mother to = Crimson
Hair Colour = Naturally Blonde - Enchanted White
Skin Colour = Dark Brown
Lipstick = Black
Eyes = Pure white

Cantrips sort as 10th level spells, not level 0 ones like it probably should. Otherwise dope.

okay so my idea is a demonologist character whose only power is summoning a level 30 archdemon with absolutely no loyalty to anything and no desire but to destroy

k glhf