EDH/Commander General

Attack of the Clones edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread topic: What's the most fun mono-color deck you've ever run?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-12-16-karador-dredge/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheelin-and-dealin-with-ya-boi-nekusar/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What's the most fun mono-color deck you've ever run?

Right now, I run two. Zada and Molimo. Molimo's more effective, but Zada's just more fun. Goblins everywhere, so much value for two or three mana instants that suddenly target all my creatures, protection from board wipes...

It's all good.

Godo will always have a special place in my heart. I learned how to bullshit my way into convincing people I wasn't a threat until it was too late and I could kill the table

You guys got any secret ruhan tech?

>most fun mono color deck you've ever run

Well my first ever deck was mono white 8 1/2 tails, and that deck was soooo much fun

Won my first ever game with the deck using darksteel plate, palisade giant, and 8 1/2 Tails, nobody was able to do any damage to me and I eventually won by swinging out with unblockable (8 1/2 tails) creatures

I think I have slightly more fun these days playing my mono U Azami deck but I give the mono W a lot of credit for being my very first deck

Kokusho. As soon as he got unbanned a couple years ago, I brewed him up and built him. I still run him to this day, and he's picked up some nice toys since then. Mikaeus and Cauldron of Souls have led to some straight up shenanigans.

Nemata, Grove Guardian.

Nothing says hilarious quite casting The Great Aurora with a field of Saproling tokens. They cease to exist when they leave the field but when Aurora is cast, they count as permanents.

You basically draw almost all of your deck, play all of your lands (Gaea's Cradle included), and your opponents barely have any resources on the field.

I did a quick goldfish test of it and I'm excited to give it a go at my LGS. I've never really played Nemata in a winning game because of boardwipes but discovering that card gave me hope.

>most fun mono color deck

Endrek sahr

DRAGON BALL Z

Baru makes for some explosive victories. People think your just durdling keeping a managable board of 4-5 creatures. Then you cast boundless realms with amulet of vigor or lotus cobra into a new frontiers and all your creatures can oneshot a player each.

Reposting from old thread

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-12-16-karador-dredge/

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

The great aurora is highly underrated, not as easy to use as tooth and nail but in the right deck it's just as game ending

How would this interact If mimeoplasm enters as a copy of it? Would it create normal giant adephage tokens upon combat damage to a player?

It should just work like any other clone.

It doesn't say create a creature token that is a copy of this creature.

Either Omnath or Yisan. More so leaning towards Yisan.

On an unrelated point, give me some advice on my Nekusar deck, /edh/.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheelin-and-dealin-with-ya-boi-nekusar/

Is it worth it to build a Rashmi deck?

I want to hear it from a Godo players perspective: What makes you want to play Godo over something like Aurelia for an Equipment Voltron deck? Is the cost of losing Stoneforge Mystic and Sunforger justified by having a on-command tutor for a general?

I'm not trying to say Boros is better. In fact, I'm very curious to hear what Godo players have to say about Godo decks.

>Ctrl F
>No krenko
It's like you bitches don't like etb effects.

I'm playing the mono white anafenza because I'm poor. It's fun because I don't have to think about what I'm doing and I don't have to spend a lot of money for it to work

>Treat The Mimeoplasm as though it were the creature card it’s copying entering the battlefield. Any “As [this card] enters the battlefield,” “[This card] enters the battlefield with,” and “When [this card] enters the battlefield” abilities of that creature card will work.

>What's the most fun mono-color deck you've run?
Sakashima, ironically enough, but I'm currently in the midst of brewing up a mono-black deck that should be pretty "fun."
Horobi Death's Wail
I just wish there was a way to protect him better though since he can't be equipped to protect himself.

Simic is kind of a weird trial for me.
I did Zegana
Then Kruphix
Then Kraj
Then Kruphix again
Then Rashmi
Then Kydele/Thrasios
Now currently settled on Kruphix again.

Thing with Rashmi from my experience is that shes a great goodstuff control general. You still have your fair share of spicy tech like Treachery, Sensei's Top, Mind's Dilation, "top of library" cards and so forth. She doesnt win the game by herself, rather, she helps you by generating value.

My personal playstyle is that I tend to depend on generals most of the time to help me win (Most, not all, of my decks do). Rashmi was fun to play but ended up sticking her in the 99 for that reason.

One weird thing about Rashmi is that I found myself in awkward situations where I didnt want to have the top card of my library into my hand upon casting spells. They dont come up often, though.

I don't guess you still have your Rashmi list.

I've actually created an EDH deck for ever single monitor colored. It was really fun, especially when I got to fine tuning them.

>Azami, Lady of Scrolls
>Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
>Azusa, Lost but Seeking
>Liliana, Heretical Healer
>Oriss, Samite Guardian

Easily the funnest one was Azusa. I've named it BDE. Big Dumb Eldrazi. I'm probably gonna change Liliana to Korlash, Heir to Blackblade.

Never bothered to put it down because it was short lived (a whole weekend, like, 4 games). It was a combo-oriented build using your typical Simic shitter stuff like Deadeye/Palinchron, Seasons Past/Mystical Tutor/Time Warp, Tidespout Tyrant/Sol Ring and more. And Eldrazi. In case I needed Eldrazi.

Would a "Cheat in fatties" Jhoira deck work? Show and Tell, Sneak Attack, Blue Braids, etc

Sure, it's decently viable. Also be sure to include Paradox Haze

How does the Oriss deck work?

Lots of people ask me that, haha.

It's called really just monowhite goodstuff. I'm in the process of getting the really expensive staples that mono white needs to function at least at mid tier level. Land Tax, Weathered Wayfarer, Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, ect ect.

It runs a ton of enchantments, a few prison cards, about 6-7 board wipes and bunch of equipment as well. It's more of a low powered deck till I get the expensive mana rocks and some of the more powerful draw effects that are expensive. I do wanna keep the general just because it's a foil that I pulled back in Future Sight and I've had it ever since. Wanted to use it in something.

>boardwipes
That's why you run Kamahl 1.0, Caller of the Claw or dank memes like Fresh Meat, Jolrael or Wrap in Vigor.

Also run Sprout Swarm and pic related.

So wait... what would happen then?

Would the tokens enter as the mimeoplasm?

Can someone explain this to me

Functionally you get a Giant Adephage token, but technically it's a token of Mimeoplasm which is copying the Adephage. I'm not sure if there's a specific instance where this would matter, but I'm sure there's some convoluted one out there.

Would the legendary rule come into effect? Between the token and the actual mimeo?

Is there anything to protect a token army from mass bounce/exile without resorting to MLD?

I haven't played EDH in awhile. I had 3 decks I made when I first started the format and somehow lost them all. I haven't really been able to get myself back into it after losing 300+ of my most adored cards. But I'm thinking of doing it again now that my friends gotten the group hug commander. I've got a friend who's an EDH veteran, another who's got a couple EDH decks too and one who could easily pop together a sliver hivelord deck.

My question to you is who'd be a good W/B commander? I've been playing since m14 and W/B is by far my largest card pool to work with. As of now my only W/B commander is the fates from theros.

Gaddock teeg stops a lot, but not all

For those who care, coolstuffinc is selling Conspiracy 2 booster boxes for $67.99 with free shipping.

Shill

Well what kinda player are you?

>ayli
Apparently fun due to cleric tribal, but never goes off and is inconsistent
>Karlov
Gets huge very quick, incredibly powerful if granted evasion. Con is you need many small pips of lifegain rather than few large amounts
>triad of fates
Hipster,slow, but interactive and interesting. You'll never see another deck like it.
>kambal
Tax and oppression,slowly grind the table down while pillowforting as hard as possible and forcing opponents to play with incredibly limited resources
>teysa (low cmc)
Incredibly powerful,well rounded deck
>Teysa (high cmc)
She's solid, but costs wayyyy too much cmc.

Personally I would recommend kambal, or karlov, but it's up to you. There are plenty more available as well.

I like it because of how it can bullshit it's way to victory. Mono-red is often looked down upon as really shitty. With Godo, things get out of control fast. So unless they know to deal with him you're just going to get so far set up that they can't do anything. The tutor on ETB makes for some fun shenanigans as well. You can use blade of selves to get free tutors every swing. You can use nim death mantle to not only protect, but proc more tutors! Then you get fun synergies with stuff like Valakut and Sword of the Animist. Swing, fetch a land, Valakut trigger, untap, swing, fetch a land, Valakut trigger.

And don't get me started on the free additional combat step. That alone is pretty damn good value. Like with blade of selves and Sword of the animist, you just get double the value out of them.

And because it's mono-color you can run all kinds of fun lands, and mana doublers. Hell, I even have a Karn in my Godo deck just because I often have enough mana to cast it by turn 4 or 5.

Overall Godo is an extremely explosive deck that can come out of nowhere. Hell, it can even win when it's behind just because of surprise combat damage.

Not really. I just figured people might like to know about an underpriced sale on a very fun to draft set. Ignore it if you want fuckboi.

You forgot the original b/w combo commander

Explain to me her appeal,other than built in protection

Hmmm, Karlov sound sounds fun. does he get bigger off every individual lifelink instance? Like say I attack with 2 different lifelinkers does he get 4 counters?

Yes

you can stack the trigger as many times as you like to make your life go as low as you want it to

I think that'll work then, I got a ton of lifedrain shennanigan cards like exploit, gray merchant and etc. having some spirit tribal shenanigans with devouring greed sounds spicy.

TIL:
"10/1/2005:
Circu’s last ability applies to all of its controller’s opponents, not just the owner of the exiled card"

Essence harvest and dazzling reflection are your friends

Ooooh,interesting!

How else can you abuse that?

Seems fun, but you really gotta cross your fingers to catch a nonland that Will apply to all players. Let's also not forget that if said card is already In play then the ability does nothing for you.

The spiciest thing i can recommend is Hatred.

Hatred seems like a bad feels 2 for 1 waiting to happen.

You'd be surprised how many cards are shared between decks (of their respected color identify), most notably:

sol ring/ thran dynamo
Cyclonic rift
Tooth and nail
Craterhoof behemoth
Cultivate/kodamas reach and friends
Etc

Its not much, and obviously circu wasnt meant for singleton, but it's a little detail that works with the theme and synergy of the deck, and makes him just a little more fun in my opinion.

SPICY

Speaking of cyclonic rift, what makes it busted apart from being a one sided board wipe?

Is it the splashability? Would it be more fair if it costed "UUUUUUU" to overload and "UU" to normally cast?

Just pray that no one has any instant burn/life loss

>instant speed
>nonland permanents, not just creatures
>doesn't bounce your own shit

At least one of these traits would have to be removed to make it fair.

If the overload was 7 pips, it would be mono blue only, and severely nerfed

Just making the overload cost 4UUU would make the card less ubiquitous and therefore less frustrating to play against.

Many 3 color decks would still play it for its incredible power but there'd be times where they couldn't cast it, and therefore the card would be weaker, whereas right now there's very little downside to including it in any multicolor combination with blue

What instant speed mana sink tutors are there? I can only name chord of calling. I need to be able to dump my mana into dropping in fatties during the damage step

Perhaps it would be best to have some instant speed enablers? I'm not sure that you have any good options besides chord at instant speed

But Vedalken orrery would let your green Suns zenith, and tooth and nail, and creatures in your hand be cast "during the damage step", although I'm not sure why that's when you want to put them into play

Right now this one is my favorite.

Derevi/brago decks having a ton of mana being generated during after combat damage is dealt. With this, have the option of responding to enemy spells to protect my brago getting through by tutoring out a draining whelk or a glendra archmage, or if i do get an attack through, i have a surplus of mana available to tutor out a high cost etb permanent to go off on an infinite with brago. I get alot more options with an instant speed tutor into the battlefield. Im low on green in my deck so im worried about being shafted on the casting cost of chord

Whats your favourite uncommon?

Invisible stalker

Post the single spicyest Newzuri tech you've got

Umpire Bikelock

tie between doomblade and burning-tree waifu. Doomblade was one of those cards that as a newbie, I could tell was powerful even with my shit card evaluating skills at the time. Watching I think played in standard was really cool for me as a beginner, giant growth was a similar feel.

As for burning tree, it was one of the first cases cards that had me imagining the cute stuff I could do if I built around it. I still think burning tree/manamorphos/ whatever's 3rd 2 mana replaces itself card they print in the future could be a deck.

Played him on my first ever deck (standard INN/RTR) and he's been on all my decks since then, sniping niggas right and left.

Panglacial Wurm

All your tutors, including fetches, now become manasinks!

Easy call.

I'm looking for that Anguished unmaking flavor text set, Google is giving me nothing. Please help me.

Things can get out of hand extremely fast. With the amount of super good equipment and mana rocks that have been printed over the years, you can quickly end up with a 13/13 double strike trampler with protection from any color. And since you're mono-color, you can run the mana doublers like the Gauntlets and Caged Sun to go even faster, since you rarely have open mana with all the wargear.

Also all the extra combat cards are fun.

Goes in every black deck.

And I forgot the image.

Greaves

C16 was a mistake.

Why's that, friend?

Is there a way to turn an infinite amount of colorless mana into mana of a color of choice, without having to resort to other infinite combo's like sacrificing an infinite amount of tokens to phyrexian altar?

One of my friends who I play in 1v1 fairly regularly built a deck with that bitch and pic related, filled it with meta hate, when I loan out most of the decks my playgroup plays with.

So, what are some good budget cards to stop his shenanigans?

Gemstone Array

Is the meta hate critters? Pyroclasm and the like can catch most of them at once, depending on which hatebears he plays.

I actually played a game of Magic last night.

Didn't even know about gemstone array, much obliged user.

He actually just plays so much removal that he overwhelms my decks fairy frequently with the evasive Tana & the loads of tokens the deck creates.

>pseudoflying is evasive
>2 tokens per turn is loads
>somehow has enough mana to remove all blockers while casting both his 4cmc partners before you have responses available

How fucking garbage is your deck if you can't handle this shit?

Can I get a tier list of commanders? I really want to have fun games at my lgs but a couple weeks in a row I've been placed against someone playing market superfriends or some other Bullshit. But I don't want to bust out my mizzix unless I know it's going to be a competitive game because winning like that isn't fun to me. But if anyone is going to be kerning off a combo at a table of strangers it's better to be me.

How do I build a deck around this guy? Just generic land destruction theme? I wanna build him for bullying purposes, but still able to be fun in those games where nobody needs to be bullied. I'm in a meta where some have Dragonlord Atarka dragon tribal, while others have foil Gaea's Cradles, Serra Sanctums, and Moats.

It's gonna be hard to build him "to bully with", but also be fun in games where that's not needed. You kinda need to commit whole-hog to "Fuck everyone's everything".

There isn't one, really. For example, I could build four different Animar decks of vastly different power levels, depending on if I was trying to build a pubstomp deck that goes infinite off of Ancestral Statue on like turn 4, or a goofy "All Morph" deck, or somewhere inbetween. There's some Commanders that TYPICALLY fall into the high-range of things, but there's no guarantee that the deck you're up against is well tuned instead of just goofy, and likewise someone can theoretically take an innocent-looking Commander and build an absolutely fucking cutthroat 99 in those colors.

Probably the better option is when you sit down for a game, just ask "Do you prefer more competitive games, or more casual ones?" so you can grab the deck that'll lead to a game where everyone's on the same page.

Play a tainted aether creature hate deck and he'll stop finding his deck fun really fast.

Hidetsugu, easily. Big Stick Diplomacy translates very well to EDH, as it turns out.

Is Giant Adephage legendary?
Of course not. The token isn't legendary either.

Keep in mind that if he leaves field for any reason and comes back, opponents can cast their shit. He's too situational and depends on shitter's luck too much.

Here ya go, try not to lose it.

I built a Defender deck with him at the helm.
Pretty fun.

Got a list?

Phenax is one of the funnest and meanest commanders to play a defender deck.