/wip/ Painting/Sculpting/Conversion General

ork in Progress edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU
>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Painting music
Dynatron - Pulse Power
youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1-qLbHHCM

Previous threads

That's not the Ork in Progress picture, whoops.

As a bit of a ambitious undertaking, I'm going to attempt to paint a design similar to pic related's on my leviathan that hopefully will be arriving right before christmas

Any tips for freehanding designs like this?

I'm thinking of doing something different for my IG. What colors go best with purple? I was thinking black armor with purple clothes.

Gold or Bone, I'd say. Emperor's Children in 30k pull off a great Purple and Gold (and White) colour, and one of the Hive Fleets does a great Imperial Purple / Bleached Bone scheme.

Well, I hope you have some good times with your folks user. Least I could do mate, really. Did you get the letter I wrote from off the top of the box? Enjoy enjoy enjoy, much love. Stay toasty roasty boi and happy ho-ho

Use a gold paint pen.

I think the best way to do that would be making a stencil and then airbrushing it

What is the difference between GW washes and Army Painter shades?

I'm archiving all the secret Santas and the last two were too good to leave in the dying embers of the last thread so I'm reposting them.

1/2

Is this the best community on Veeky Forums? I think so.

2/2

>tfw a novelty gift for secret santa is painted better than my stuff

I know that feel.

/wip/ is seriously inspiring. Starting painting again after probably a decade hiatus. Started making scenery (or finishing old pieces) again. Seeing everyone's SS makes my day. Got a batch of grim painted minis soaking in Super Clean per the OP.

Thanks to everyone who participates in these threads. Merry Christmas!

Almost done with my FFG Deathwatch RPG kill team. White is not looking too good among other things :(

Base up from Grey m8

If you have parts of the model that don't match the colour of the rest of it, at all, consider priming it separately and attaching it later. Like for my Templar Brethren I prime everything but the shoulder pads black, but those I prime yellow to make my life easy because painting yellow over black is a fool's task.

I use a spray. How should I go about priming by brush? I dont have to water it down? And can I just put a bunch on or put a couple.of thin layers?

Progress! Tomorrow I'll paint the highlights on the spear and spear arm and then probably matte down the black.

Well, spray prime the majority of the model if it's going to be black. But take, for example, the heads and shoulder pads that are going to be lighter colours and sit them on top of a straightened out paperclip with a little dab of super glue on the tip (easily broken later). I primed the attached pic with two thin coats, thinning the primer just like paint. Vallejo Surface Primer is already very thin, while Citadel Imperial Primer definitely needs to be thinned.

Holy cow, you're one generous bro. May Duncans light always shine upon you.

Indeed. I really feel like I have to step up my SS game next year.

Jelly of this user... My secret santa has still not turned up from the 1st January draw.

This guy looks amazing :(

Working on some Guardians for a friend. This is the test model so the paints are THICK from heavy redo.

I primed some CSM gold so I could paint all the areas between the trim another colour, but now I really like the gold.

How would I justify gold CSM, friends?

>Gold CSM
>Pimps of chaos.
Done

>How would I justify gold CSM, friends?
You don't need to justify it.
It's a common color for Space Marines, no reason CSM couldn't paint their armor the same way.
See Auric Patriarchs and Celestial Lions for example.

If you are asking for an in-universe reason, well that's half the fun of doing a DIY warband. Come up with whatever sounds cool to you.

Stat him Veeky Forums

But individually. Everyone post one stat at a time then someone do a special rule and finally the last user can judge a point cost.

I'll start, S4

It could be a pretty cool concept for Slaaneshi marines obsessed with perfection and looking like golden gods.

What colour could I use for the trim? I was thinking purple or red for a spot colour.

It's always weird to see another country's completely different selection of candy.

Why bother justifying it? Golden armor is just... Magnificent.

Slaanesh, they wanna look hot.

>What colour could I use for the trim?
more gold

Its chaos, aint gotta explain shit

T6 (veteran of the eons) even the most grizzled Veteran remembers Chapter Master Kringle from their time as an initiate, what's even more peculiar is that almost every initiate will claim they encountered him in person... An impossible claim considering the size of the Imperium and the number of Astartes...

Purple. There is already too much red and gold + it goes with the pimp thing.

Either improve you painting or camera cause one is shit.

We call them sweets or sweeties in the UK.
A candy store is a sweet shop here.

you guys call pharmacies chemists too, right?

Bong-speak is interesting. My older relatives still had traces of it.

What the fuck is wrong with GW white primer it's fucked up 2 of my practice models and despite performing the same tests with it using both the white and chaos black, chaos black doesn't cake at all can't even take it back now fuck me.

We do!

purple and gold isn't exactly an inspired combination either.
Without thinking too hard there are at least three chapters that use it.

In the grim darkness of the far future... all the good color combos are taken.

GWs white spray is generally considered not very good, the issue you describe I've heard numerous times.
You could try shaking the hell out of it, but you probably did already.

I am thrilled you like your gift. Considering it was posted on the 2nd of December I was having kittens because it hadn't arrived yet. I will open my gift as soon as I get home!

(also thank you!)

Have a WIP picture of him!

>GWs white spray is generally considered not very good, the issue you describe I've heard numerous times.
In all seriousness that is what ended my brother's hobby aspirations.

He was gonna paint some biel tan eldar. Primer caked onto an entire squad of guardians.
Was the last time he ever tried painting something.
Years later during 4th he bought a shitton of Sisters. I think most of them are probably still in their packaging.

Ausfag here, but Corax White has worked as good as if not better than Chaos Black.

Dude fuck this is what happened, I was going to start practising painting idayen (sorry I know I spelt it wrong, the yellow and blue elder) and I'm feeling right the fuck off I'm lucky it was only on push fit guardians but still fucking fucks me off.

Probably a majority of cans of white primer work just fine, but if you hear a horror story about GW spraycans going wrong it's almost always the white that's gone fucky.

Dude fuck this is what happened, I was going to start practising painting idayen (sorry I know I spelt it wrong, the yellow and blue elder) and I'm feeling right the fuck off I'm lucky it was only on push fit guardians but still fucking fucks me off. I dunno what I am going to do now, probable going to get Talk to a GW to see what I can do.

You can paint iyanden with black primer, easy.

Foundation paints are magic for getting good basecoats.

Oops, sorry.
Dude I'm a ausfag from the Mt Gravatt store I dunno what I'm doing wrong I matched it 2 minutes of shaking holding it at the right distance (suggested and closer just incase) and it still caked.

Part of that is GW don't sell a spray primer. Proper primer shrinks so its really hard to fuck up.

True, if I go for canned primer I usually get Vallejo's.
If you're in the US, Krylon is da bomb apparently

Some stuff I'm working on. Feedback would be appreciated (+these were done with white primer)

Are you trying to do a ghost paint scheme? If so it kinda works crawling along the ceiling is pretty spoopy too, but I think they'd look better if they didn't have the texture from drybrushing.
Washing in reverse order would give you a similar effect but a smoother finish I think.

Yeah ghost was what I was going for but when I tried a washing technique I got the monstrosity at the back.

What paints did you use to get that effect? I wanna try spooky eldar now.

Yeah.
There's lots of ways to wash something, these days with all the premade washes mixing your own is a bit of a lost art.
The GW washes are made to cover evenly and not collect in the nooks and crannies as much as an ink would.
So what you want to do is add something that breaks surface tension in your wash so you have something that is mostly transparent.

For example you start with a white and then use turqoise paint plus water until you can barely see the color and enough detergent to break surface tension (just a tiny bit). Then you paint that all over the mini and it should mostly stay white but give you defined lines in the recesses like a pinwash with oil paints.

You can still add shading by applying the wash more selectively around the mini then and slowly build up color where you want it.

Just an idea, as I said it works as it is and I immediately knew what you were going for even if the picture are upside down.

uouɐ poob sʞooן 'ɥɐǝʎ

>Prime with corax white.
>Glaze Sotek+Lamian
>Drybrush Celestra Grey
>Highlight Celestra
>Highlight Ulthwe

It's pretty embarrassing to say but I'm actually really struggling to paint these guardian heads I keep spilling paint on the inside and then fixing it I spill paint on the outside and doing the eyes and chin part, these push to fit guardians head is the most hardest part of a model I have painted, I almost feel like I need to make a cutout to protect the face area while painting

If you are still struggling this much with your brush control try painting the eyes first, then the faceplate, and the the helmet around that.
GW guides usually tell you to do it the other way around which mean you can mess the stuff you painted before up. This way you can clean up after yourself in each stage and don't have to go back to the details again.

I know the feels.

>GW guides usually tell you to do it the other way around
it varies ,but "inside out" is a common piece of advice given to new painters

yet GW guides always have you do the details like lenses and eyes last.
Inside out is really the best way to paint no matter how experienced you are. Going back to clean up or being super careful takes time. Makes painting armies kind of pain.

that knot work is sexy. I I wanted to recreate I would free hand and practice the design like 10 times on paper or card with a brush first til I was happy.

either that or just make a stencil and cut it out, and airbrush it on

I dont airbrush

I don't know if this is a transfer or a stencil maybe try that

You could print it with a laser printer and transfer the toner via pic related.
Just got to rub the backside with acetone while pressing it on.
If you overdo it you'll have pieces of paper stuck in your paint because acetone obviously is a solvent.

If you got the rough outlines you can color the rest in with a brush.
Should be easy enough to do on a dread. Large flat surfaces.

looks like a detail. I could never get those to work personally though.
So I usually resort to the trick above or using a pencil and freehand painting.

>tfw you're still checking your po box everyday for your SS gift

C'mon now universe, let it arrive.

That's a clever method I've never seen. But yeah personally I would attempt free hand, because it is fun. But you would need a good brush know how to control the width with all the loops and shit.

But I am a lazy painter anyway. I did this with shit brushes. OP wants something perfect he should stencil or do what your suggesting.

>That's a clever method I've never seen
Can't take credit for it though.
Picked it up a while ago looking at random military scale modelers blog's.
Pretty handy though.

I printed the old GW template for drop pods at 10% the size and transferred those onto plastic card to make tiny objective markers out of supply drops.
I stole the idea for the supply drops from the Space Marine game btw.

Can somebody give me a pic of a Taurox next to a Goliath Truck for scale? or if anyone owns both and doesn't want to take a pic, can a Taurox be converted into a reasonable Goliath?

White looks like shit BUT....
Yellow is just fine

got any pics. Sounds cool

Anyone got pictures of the breadnaught? For that christmas-cheer-feel?

I just moved. Haven't unpacked everything yet.

And I'm leaving tomorrow to visit the family.

Might be able to take some pics next year though.

All good man, no need to make an effort, just if it was sitting on your harddrive.

More progress on the chimera from earlier thread, first passes of weathering done! Still lots to do.

Looks awesome already.

Did you paint it with brush or airbrush?

Thanks, brush, dont have such luxuries :(

Oh shit it's almost Christmas again and I haven't had time to make anything for you

bruh, where ya been?

Work
Vidya
Forever GM of a rpg crew
Learning to draw
Indie vidya dev shit

Wait... that name.. it looks familiar.

Breadnaught pics or hair pics plz.

Wonderful! Where do you find those bags you have hanging off the sides of the model?

It's been six years

They might be from a catachan command squad sprue.

>not asking him to post hitler

Veeky Forums reminds me that I'm getting old.

Work too, but mostly Veeky Forums. Ta

those just come with Chimeras

They came with a chinese knockoff forgeworld leman russ, lots of spare bits, wish i had more. Chimera spures had very little in variety to bits.

I just went to ask and saw this, kek

What is the image in the OP supposed to be?

What looks to be a Slaaneshi noise marine, raptor or champion taking a Sister of Battle by surprise

A(n) (un)lucky SOB getting taken by a Slaaneshi thing.

He's actually just going to compliment her painting skills, but snuck up on her and she was surprised!

Probably end up swinging by Kharne's place for some tips on not surprising them. Hell of a guy.

Well I have a plan now.
Lets see how much of it I can implement.