Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Is your character a real necromancer? Have they ever raised undead? Have they ever tried to become a lich?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Mordant_Spire
youtube.com/watch?v=UBoK24vBSCg
youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I played a dread necromancer once! Turns out I don't like controlling minions.

That's honestly why I shy away from the summoner and the hunter. Apparently my turns take forever so I probably shouldn't.

I don't like controlling more then one character/minion/whatever, so, no. It's also why I don't play things that have familiars and no good ways to replace them, because I hate familiars.

Don't trust undead. Better to make robots.

So here is a thought. What do you all think are the best combination of archetypes for the pure martials?

The limitations are Paizo only and no adding spell casting.

I put my vote towards Eldritch Guardian + Mutation Warrior for fighter to start out with.

What about Rogue, Monk, Cavalier, Barbarian, Slayer, Gunslinger, Samurai, Swashbuckler, and Brawler?

What are their best for versatility and usability.

>trusting robots
It's like you want the uprising to happen

>Is your character a real necromancer? Have they ever raised undead? Have they ever tried to become a lich?
I have a hard time finding groups that would allow me to play a necromancer.

For rogue, I think True Professional and Trench-Fighter (or Weaponmaster if no guns) would work out rather well.

>Paizo only and no adding spell casting.
>versatile and usable

>dread necromancer

I have been wanting to play the pf conversion for a long time. I just want like 4 max HD bloody skelebuddies to wander around with me. Not even a whole army.

Fighter with Mutation Warrior + Eldritch Guardian then a VMC is pretty good.

Unchained Professional, with Weaponmaster (and the handbook abilities/stamina of course)? Will save still sucks though.

I've posted about him a few times before, but Thead the Undead Lord is an absolute blast to play and I can't wait until we get to Book 2 of Vengeance so I can show off my undead army.

As an aside I have to ask, would anyone actually care if one of your group members wanted to reflavor something like a potion into something else? For instance, I have a character who's a bit of a chain smoker, but at some point I'll want him to have spells of Shield to help with his AC a few levels from now. What do you guys think about fluffing him having a special pack of cigs at his disposal that, when smoked, give the same effect as a potion? Of course I'd still pay the same amount as normal per dose.

Why would you ever think that, user?
Don't be silly.
Put on this hat.
It's only safe tinfoil.

He hasn't been here in over a week. We're doing this when he isn't even around.

Report and move on.

How optimized is too optimized? Is gestalting a full initiator with a mid caster and being a decent social+knowledge skill monkey too much?

Depends on the game of course but most likely yes.

How so? What would be an example of "just right" with gestalt?

Depends.

If you're an OD/ZS, you can fuck right off.

I am a huge fan of Thug Rogue. Free sicken on hit is nice.

Generally with a gestalt, you want a gimmick that wouldn't be quite possible with a mere multiclass. Let's look at a full-initiator option, for example. If you want to play a Harbinger//Vigilante and be the biggest Batman-esque edgelord ever, then that's a perfectly-fine gestalt to bring to the table; you're effective, but you're not cracking the game over your knee. Conversely, if you bring a ZSOD Warder mixed with utility-spell Wizard, you're being an asshole to the rest of your party by being flat-out better than everyone else.

Is there a way to go about casting a spell at a LOWER level spell slot? Like is there a feat that lets you master a spell or something?

No need, you can actually cast a spell at a lower level whenever you want, it's just that nobody ever mentions it because 99% of the time why would you want to?

It's too optimized when the other players at the table aren't having fun.

Well - again I can't say 100% because a GM could just go "fuck this go all in" or "please only pair T6s and the such to make them viable" - usually the main attraction/reason for allowing gestalt is to increase the versatility or viability of certain concepts and builds.

Power goes up of course - but in some cases that's what's needed (think original version soulknives and rogues and monks). Often though the idea is to make everyone a lot more capable in terms of breadth of capabilities.

Think of it kind of like allowing a Dragon Quest game's Hero Class. It's strong, it's got some special tricks up it's sleeve, and it's composed of a wide array of abilities from healing to offensive spells and weapon techniques.

Many times a good gestalt is like that; the intent is to allow you to become like the hero class, as opposed to stacking Warrior and Fighter and somehow getting both their level-up stat bonuses as well.

You do become stronger, but you especially become more well-rounded.

Not the same guy, but what about Harbinger/Shadowcaster Wizard? A friend of mine wanted to be MAXIMUM EDGE, and I thought it would be good, but now I'm nervous that he will just be straight up better than the Fighter/Ranger and the Summoner/Paladin in the party.

Because I want to turn Bless Water into a cantrip so I can make a holy moat.

Don't ask questions. Long story short, we pissed off a necromancer.

Doesn't Bless Water still cost 25 GP a casting for the iron?

Generally speaking, fullcasters, full initiators, full manifesters, and full spherecasters don't play nicely when gestalted with one-another.

So OD/ZS is just a dick move?

I generally follow a "become more well rounded" ideology like but I guess not having a gimmick means I'm doing it wrong. Gestalt doesn't sound fun if it's just fighter|rogue or some boring "I get EVEN BETTER at combat but still suck at out of combat or utility!" combo.

>So OD/ZS is just a dick move?
Even in regular gestalt, it is.

Huh. Never actually noticed that.

GM just said he doesn't care about material costs.
Although I suspect he may change his mind if I figure out how to make it a cantrip.

Says who! I think dex should apply, I mean ballerina/gymnasts/yoga practitioners are prettymuch str & dex and they often have nice butts. Ballet & gymnastics is def str & dex, with only enough con to get through routines, yoga is almost entirely dex & con because it's all about being bendy and being able to hold those positions for long periods without discomfort

What's wrong with having a Nodachi-wielding crit build Scarlet Throne/Primal Fury OD/ZS Warder | Hunter riding his Roc companion gloriously into combat? :^)

>not doing Broken Blade/Shattered Mirror for Steel Flurry Strike+Reflected Blade Style

Look at this pleb.

The big thing with gestalt from that breadth I mentioned includes the ability to fulfill gimmicks. Now mind you, if your gimmick is "I have an infinite action economy hahaha" well that's a goddamn problem.

But a lot of things could not be done with regular multiclassing even if the concept wasn't all that strong. Up until recently for example a Metaforge was crud; that prestige class was... unimpressive to say the least. It can let you take a lot of concepts that sometimes ARE a class - but not a very good class - and make a good strong viable character out of them.

Then your head isn't racked over "how do I make it through next round" and can focus on proper roleplaying.

Wait, it is? Fuck, I should change Silvia then. I just thought it clicked really nicely with everything.I might have to scrap the whole damn thing.

On the subject of gestalt, does anyone have the screencap of the Scar Seeker PRC? I forgot to save it when I had the chance, and I've been toying with the idea of either a knight disciple paladin or warpath warpriest on one side, aegis and Scar seeker on the other.

>tfw you like scarlet throne, crit builds and warders but people make it seem way OP, even by PoW standards.

I'm not sure I get what "gimmicks" are then. I tend to just want to play a class for some core feature and try and pick things that either work well with that or things that shore up weak areas. I'd hate to be put into a situation like where I have to reconsider a character.

Pathfinder is hard sometimes.

>Broken Blade
>Zweihander Sentinel
A pleb is you

>sansetsukon
>or
>WMH custom monk weapons

A pleb is YOU.

>mfw have character fully stat'd up for RotJR
>but have nothing for the character backstory itself because find the Pathfinder setting so uninspiring
>mfw no face

I don't even know how to justify having a Half-Elf with Akashic Marksman on one side and Stalker on the other.

Catch!
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Mordant_Spire

Nigga, I only got there because I so rarely play new characters that I wanted to cram a bunch of stuff I wanted to use into one character. Lord knows what I'll do now. Probably withdraw like I was thinking about. Sorry for causing a scene the other day then.

>tfw that sudden unclean feeling when you get home after having roleplayed the various 'husbandos' for 4 "ironic" fujo weeaboos playing as boys at the same time
I set up a fuckin royal ball for these people to engage in political intrigue, but it turned into everyone's gay fantasy time with their not-gay GM instead. I didn't even realize they got literally nothing done until it was tme to pack up. And they all went after nobles who showed up with DATES AND WIVES. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this job if I need to drink heavilu after doing it teebeeaytch.

The players cuckolding the entire noble court IS political intrigue though.

That's the sort of shit that people start fights over, man.

Don't just let 'em get away with it, start some goddamn duels up in that fancy ball!

THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO MURDWR PEOPLE

don't worry about it to much, you didn't do it for optimization, you did it for a "protective type" concept

scene? Wtf happened?

Ok that's actually the best plan but it basically can't happen until the next day cause they were like drawing them out to the shadows and the balconies to make out with their prey, out of sight. Like I only even let the dumb NPCs fall for it because I was sure nearly every time they were about to bloody shank one of them and I wanted that to happen.

What SHOULD have happened was one of THEM gets shanked doing this, would have set the tone and kept everyone's hands on the fucking table for the evening

... Things like that happen.

I can't tell if it's half the party or the GM that's trying to make the game run long by taking 10+ minutes between individual turns so that what should've been a 20 minute encounter is a session and a half. Nothing gets done.

>and once I tried to speed things up with a boosted Ice Storm, the 'slow half' got pissed that I'm taking away all their fun, and the GM retconned it away. Told me I was on thin ice now. I'm looking for new games.

I don't know, it seems "dirty" now. Like I've committed a crime.

I don't want to draw any more attention then I already have.

Holy shit, yeah that's a bad group.

If you really believe you're cheating for using an archetype combination then you fell for the meme user

That's also good, man.

Don't get lulled into a trance by the endless faggotry, fight back with all the wonderful violence that courtly romance involves! Shanks, poison, duels, the works!

Even better is if one guy challenges a PC to a duel, and then all the other PCs join in. That's gonna make 'em look like dishonorable thugs, and no high-society individual wants to be caught with a dishonorable thug!

There was a "second wave" after it too, so I hadn't even stopped the fight. Just killed off 13 kobolds that we shouldn't spend an hour per round killing off one at a bloody time.

And if I don't feel like a cheater?

just think of it like this, at least your not going double full caster.

Is Polymath/Vivisectionist a straight upgrade to alchemist?

Is Warpath Follower a straight upgrade to inquisitor?

Is 3pp intentionally stronger than 1pp?
Does the pope shit in the woods?

I don't know if I want to settle for "at least"

Would a bushi warlord | Font+ charlatanism hedgewitch be better for a "melee but also social and knowledge skills" type? Or is that too optimized still?

>tfw want to play Witch/Raven Lord Harbinger
>tfw it's too strong

who the fuck knows what that parasitical alien hat makes the poor guy do whenever it's in control...

Good ideas, thanks user. Don't think they would be dumb enough to gang up on a duel though, but yeah really play up how much some of the haughtyass nobility want them dead especially after their conquests at the ball.

Could even PLOT TWIST on them when someone tries to have one of them assassinated for obvious romance-related reason (and make it obvious that's what's up when the lure is a note saying "come to the dark alley and smooch me, signed Guy You Boned Previously) and it turns out NOT to be the guy wife, even though she fucking knows something's up and sends the PC jealous glowers from across the room, but actually him trying to bury his affair.

Ideas. Thank user

*thanks user

bed.

>tfw you want pathfinder to be really high powered so you can feel like you accomplish great feats and have success for once.
>Memes will take that from you too.

Just let the gm deal with it : ))))))))))

That was an attempt to cheer you up a bit. Your character is fine the way they are, you don't need to stress about it that much.
Silvia is actually one of my top picks for the "hope I get in the game with" list

i am kicking myself in the ass because im honestly really interested in all these prospective RotJR characters. is the only comprehensive collection on the roll20 app? or is there a better place i can read about them?

Fuck that
That sounds Awesome!

It's really just a hat, user.
It's the person wearing it that had darker motives.

The roll20 thread is the place where people have been dumping them, so it's the only place to find the full backstories.

>tfw you want to play water balloon fighter

So I'm thinking of making one last character--possibly as a replacement for Agni, since I'm not so fond of initiators and a big fan of playing a character who can just throw down with his fists.

>Demon-Spawn Tiefling Unchained Monk (Scaled Fist)|Sorcerer, gold dragon bloodline
>Raised and trained in Kalsgard by a Bruce Lee analogue
>Wandered south into Varisia after his master's sudden death
>Shaken severely by the fact that it wasn't even a last stand or murder--it was just an accident.
>Comes to rest in Sandpoint, gets a bad rep for a little while
>Ameiko gives him a chance, he starts working as her bouncer, they become friends
>Might have considered something more, but figures it's better this way--she deserves someone who doesn't have horns

Any other schtick or spin you dudes figure I should put on this guy, /pfg/? Mechanically, I'm figuring I'll start taking a lot of qinggong powers and spending my feats to exploit Intimidation before grabbing the Dimensional ___ feat chain.

I'm almost at the cusp of it. From level 1 to 11, and now I finally have it within my grasp.

Yes, I am a Nekomancer, for what it's worth. You need good PR to be a necromancer these days, and doing your job as a graveyard yokai is just how the world turns.

Could you make an interesting villain from a sorcerer who Dominated as many pretty kitsune as possible to make them serve as his concubines in a harem?

The plot twist is that the villain is also a kitsune.

>necromancer?
You mean nekoromancer

That's not really a way to make a guy "interesting". Skeevy, rapey, magical realm-ey, but not interesting.

Make it something other than concubines. Like he's forcing them to be his family members or take on the roles of servants that he used to have years ago, people he misses or wishes he could have surrounding him willingly, but can't.

Fucking weebs

Nobody is fucking us weebs.

Power fantasy: Use magic, be powerful and get to have sex

Why do I feel like you're lifting the plot from zakuro.

youtube.com/watch?v=UBoK24vBSCg

What if the kitsune harem was charming itself to add more to its number? If the male kitsune had already been killed off or polymorphed into another female kitsune and it is now just an ever larger growing kitsune harem intent on adding more fluff to the pile?

No thank you. I'm not that interested.

I have another tab open with a giant-titted mantis girl and it's less degenerate than this garbage.

Sod off, the both of you.

What if kitsune societies are just kitsune who keep on charming and dominating each other?

That sounds pretty unworkable.

>all kitsune marriages are consummated by a ritual that causes both spouses to be eternally charmed towards one another, nearly impossible to dispel

How well would this work out?

No.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
If we start in on this, pretty soon it's going to be transformation fetishists next, then guro, and then worse.
Just take it to /d/ or /aco/ or some shit.

Psst...
Mpreg

Have any of your characters ever been petrified?

Alright, let's change topics.

Jade Regenters, give me your character's music. Any music you feel that fits your character.

Hardmode: It has fitting lyrics
Nightmare Mode: The lyrics are in English
Dante Must Die Mode: Your character would actually sing it

youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98

I'm not sure going from weeaboo to preteen is an improvement in topics.

Oh hey, great!

/pfg/, how do I horse archer?