Why is American Larping so lame?

Warhammer 40k "larp" youtube.com/watch?v=Scufe_DRn6s
Looks like a bunch of 17 year olds just got their airsoft shit together with a few neckbeards dressed up as commissars and running around with foam swords
The chaos guys don't even bother making themselves look like actual chaos cultists; even a fucking halloween costume you can get for $10 looks more 40k than anything in they have

For comparison, here are some European larpers s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9b/52/b6/9b52b67b6d665c2a784f06560b1135ca.jpg
cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/711/711242.jpg

theawesomer.com/photos/2009/09/092209_larp_1.jpg

Other urls found in this thread:

theawesomer.com/photos/2009/09/092209_larp_1.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

American culture is centered around the individual
European is centered around the community

LARPing is considered a pretty childish hobby in America, so a large part of the people who engage in it are the most autistic of basement-dwelling manchildren and failsons. Social stigma keeps most others away, unless they have a genuine passion for it... but unfortunately they're a minority compared to the people who see it as glorified cosplay.

Because it's just playing pretend
Of course Tabletop rpg is also playing pretends but it's way more acceptable and less autistic than larping

>nobody ever enforces strict dress code
>calling numbers in combat breaks immersion
>Many systems allow a lot of cringey shit, like fairies and gypsies

Because they confuse "open to all" with "no standards", Price with quality and So Amerilarps tend to have two large groups bored as fuck because they

A) Are just used to waiting in the tavern s daerk coners for the old hermit to beat them over the head with clues to the days event

B) Are forced to play monsters for the day, stuck planting the clues and walking about aimlessly with loot for group A to find and kill them

>theawesomer.com/photos/2009/09/092209_larp_1.jpg
I guess if you try to enforce a dress code, some blue haired tumblrina at the larp, dressed in her best doctor who cringesuit is going to call you a bigot or something

Nuh uh. That's not true on the european part.

t. european.

Mediterranean slobs don't count.

This is a Polish larp

Don't worry, user, there are shitty LARPs in Europe too!

lots of reasons, nearly all that is mentioned so far is valid.
Truth to be told it's a complex problem one could write at least three books about it without covering the full subject.
You can't really point at one thing and say "yah, if that would change than larping in the US would be good" because it's a clusterfuck and there are several other problems that holds them back.

Culture is one thing (and not history, which some people try to say)
then there is the money aspect for it, how you guys handle the whole lawsuit things and what are acceptable in legal terms.
Then there is the amount of games, US games try they very best to give the players the least time to get their shit together by making monthly or even weekly games.
Then there are the problem that in the US in the last few years, when larping started to get into the mainstream media, everything get labeled as larp. fucking. everything.
But even before that boffer tags which had little to no roleplaying elements are called larps and now everyone there thinks THAT'S what larping about is.
The US larpers doesn't even have a good universal definition about what counts as larp. As far as I see US people doesn't really good at defining things so everyone has an idea what X thing is but everyone has a DIFFERENT idea and everybody is so damn sure that their idea is the only truth.

As I said it's aclusterfuck.

But that said, european larp isn't a holy grail either it has it's shit moments and people tend to forget that Europe isn't one big happy country, there are fuckon of differences even inside one country let alone between different countries.
But on average, yeah Europe has better looking larps (but some of them aren't even considered a larp by the US larpers, or would considered boring, etc Everyone has their preferences after all)

Because the only historical LARP Americans can do are western and civil war, both of which they're very good at.

You're not allowed to judge things by setting Poles as the standard.

Not nearly as awful as the entirety of SCA.

bomp

Seconding everything Hungarian said here , as well as and Whats hilarious is that the same tumblrite snowflakes who will argue that middle eastern themed elves are racist, will staunchly defend "shoeless magyk thief gypsies".

Dude, we're the largest medieval social club in the world. That doesn't mean we're the best, but it does mean there is a mixed bag. We do have standards, and as a whole, have been improving the overall quality of kit over the past few decades. As more of the old "good enough in the 70's, good enough now" douchebags die off, we'll get even better.

These kinds of larps are bnaout showing off how much time and money you can waste on fancy costume and acting classes than having fun to be honest.

USA does it right.

>Not realizing the value of actual acting skill or a fancy costume

This is why I want to EuroLARP.

The real answer is space and population density. It's very easy to get all the best LARPers un Hungary together in one place because they're all no more than a couple hours' travel away from each other and feom a nice setting to LARP in. Hell, you could pick the best LARPers and the best location from among dozens of countries all within easy travel of each other. In America everything is spread out mich more and so all the infrastructure is necessarily less efficient. The population centers are far away from each other and also from good places to LARP in. So they can't be choosy with people or places.

>Larping is lame
Here, FTFY

There are more competing similar interests SCA probally being the biggest.

Oh look, it's the another "I am shit, so let's blame others for being elitists!" episode of Amerifat TV!

>The standard shouldn't be based on quality

For the same reason why Japanese doing a "catholic wedding" is lame and just plain weird.

A bunch of people desperately trying to copy something absolutely alien to their culture just because it looks cool is bout to fail. Just compare reenactment movements in Europe with RenFairs in States.

Whats ironic, is that Murray is a fa/tg/uy, and actually has discussed LARPing in interviews as a cool thing that he wishes was around when he was younger.

Also: You're a faggot.

your argument falls apart the moment when you want to use Hungary as an example for a place that has better options than the US.
Hungary has roughly the same population as New York city. Where are the good New York larps?
Or just look at the states separately.
Or should I get you examples of larps which are done in areas where population density is lower than in the US?
Or I could mention the larps where people travel to sometimes days just to play there, but I would admit those are usually the big ones and the exceptions.

>That's ironic
Nice you've notice the point of using Murray.

Also: LARPing is still lame af. Want to play knights? Join reenactment movement, like this user suggested.
Not a thing in your country? Well then, your problem.

Oh look, it's the hungarian LARPfag making this thread worse!

I help where I can

New Yorkers aren't near anywhere good to larp, so they just play Vampire in small groups or get into something else. You can get from the middle of Budapest to a huge empty park to larp in in a negligible amount of time, and that park is within reach of not only other cities but other countries. America has very dense places, but all of Europe is dense.

I can totally understand hating me, but since when did anyone hate Hungarian?

When did Veeky Forums get shit(tier than before)

Was going to ask where is the clown dude, but he was faster...
Oh well, abandon thread

>to a huge empty park
Why would you larp in a park? That's objectively a shit place for larpin.
It's kind of okayish for a boffer tag but not for a big one.

Also it's usually one or more hours of travel to our usual larping places that's considered good enough and even those are lacking in al ot of things. Sometimes it's several hours of travel

I've been here bro.

Whatever you eurofags call a wilderness preserve that people are still allowed to fuck around in.

>Why is American Larping so lame?
American?

Larp is lame by fucking default. How beta one could be to deny such obvious truth?

>When did Veeky Forums get shit(tier than before)

Veeky Forums's been really touchy about "elitists" as of late, so anyone who strives for a higher quality in their Veeky Forums-related hobby gets shat on now. It started with a kickback to OSR design philosophies to favor all-inclusive apocalypse world knockoff designs, but now everything that's potentially prohibitive to casuals is elitist.

Guess that means LARPing too. Kinda disgusting.

There is a reason we moved the larpthread to another board.

okay, confirmation please: So by parks you mean the wilderness preserves which are usually specail areas where people aren't allowed to fuck up nature and shit like that?
Because while those do exists camping there is very restricted, sometimes outright banned, and no games could officially held there. Sometimes there are exceptions and sometimes people just doesn't give a shit about rules/laws but still...

So we usually just go to plain forests that aren't under those kind of restrictions, but those have different difficulties...

lol wrong neighborhood fucko, this is the beta board

that's when you have to stop caring about what the retards want

you maybe, I still consider Veeky Forums as my main board and post here and start threads regularly

You can provide quality without signing all your posts, user.
It's called "Veeky Forums", not "reddit". And anonymity is the entire fucking point of this site.

user, you can be beta and you are still better than average larper. Literally only outright furfags (not just average furries) are worse.

>till consider Veeky Forums as my main board and post here and start threads regularly

Same, I tried Veeky Forums, but holy fuck. Its like a more retarded /pol/, that asks the same five questions over and over.

But this is Veeky Forums, not /r9k/

You should rather try not using tripcode. Or just migrate to reddit.
And it's not about "le evil leftist triggered reddit" memery. It's about this is Veeky Forums. ANONYMOUS internet imageboard. The sole concept of tripcodes was wrong, and the amount of derailed thread by just you showing up is fucking annoying. No personal attatchment, just seen this shit too many times to pretend it doesn't happen.

>going to Veeky Forums
well... you ran into the dick forest with an open mouth there.

No, this is about you being one triggered little bitch.

Funny you claim someone should go to reddit when you're acting just like them.

Thanks for dropping your tripcode.

while I generally agree, there is a reason why names aren't banned and put in the system.

And while I don't know why Gropey started the tripfagging, I started the namefagging in larpthreads because we needed to make a distinction. There were too many different anons talking about their larps and all the larps can be fundamentally different in different countries. So we started namefagging with our country names that way we didn't had to explain n+1 times in the larp threads what background we came from when we talk about our experiences.
There were way more namefagging a few years ago but the other ones either dissappeared or doesn't have time to post or simply just stopped larping.

I stick with it but only use it in only larp related threads and arms and armour ones.

Not saying it's a good habit but that's the reason behind it.

I post 99% of my time here user, unless my background and knowledge are related to the thread, as I have done so for many years.

LARP threads especially, being a thread that naturally facilitates IRL interpersonal interaction, with many of us keeping regular contact and even playing together, as well as our production of content based on personal representation (IE: posting pics of ourselves at events, or of projects, kit etc).

So, how about no?

Damn straight

gropey has been a long standing exception to that on Veeky Forums

your newfag is showing

Stop sperging first, then maybe he will.

Love him or hate him, Gropey is knowledgeable and produces content. Not all trips are shit.

>When you leave the thread for a while, but the shitlifting goes on autopilot anyway

I'm here for almost 5 years. And I always considered his presence a disgrace.
And always been vocal about it.
See my tripcode?

>mfw when Americans look at Pics from Nordcon or Drachenfest and they think those two are examples of good LARPs in Europe

If you are all going to bitch about this, could you at least post some on topic pics?

Nobody gives a fuck about your stupid dress-up hobby. LARPing should be banned along with quests from Veeky Forums
Talk games or get the fuck out.

So do ya'll have actual tournaments or anything? Beat each other over the head with blunted weapons?

Cool story, bro.

Not sure what's worse.
Magic realm threads where ultra-beta fags can sperg about perfect waifu or LARP threads, where ultra-beta fags can pretend they are their OCs IRL

Shhhh. Its ok. No tears now, only larping.

I do, but not everyone. I larp, reenact a couple of time periods, do SCA (Medieval recreation, baton combat, steel fencing), study WMA/HEMA, and compete in ACL/IMCF.

>WAAAAAH! A NAMEFAG WHO LARPS IS POSTING IN A LARP THREAD!
Do us all a favor and LARP on some train tracks. Pretend you're Superman trying to prevent a train from running Lois Lane over or something.

It's probably more because he can't stand the idea of people using names on an anonymous image board. Makes his fragile little butt hurt.

>Join reenactment movement
You realize that's just LARPing by another name, right?

Hungarian, why are you so Hungarian? Dropping the name to defend yourself... that's fucking low.
Don't you have borders to defend?

>Shooting someone in the head, unzipping your pants, and slapping their corpse with their balls

Fun in a tabletop, weird and awkward in a LARP.

>reenactment movement
>LARPing
I'm assuming right now that you are American. Canadian alternatively..

Cause there is no fucking way anyone, from any fucking place in Europe, in or out EU, rich and poor, to confuse those two.

>The sole concept of tripcodes was wrong
The fact that you're saying this means you don't understand their purpose.

>there can only be one person who disagrees with me at any given time

Not him, but
>Be anonymous board
>Provide means to sign your posts
>Provide means to sign your posts with account-like signature
Either full anonymous, or everyone registers. Because as it is, it's just shit. Especially given how bad all tripfags are and you can precisely point out their autism, because, well, tripfags

There is only one Hungarian faggot who is the epitome of stereotypical lower middle class Hungarian and signs his posts as fucking "hungarian larpfag", so go fucking figure.

Go back to Tumblr, you entitled child. Nobody likes to see a grown person throwing a temper tantrum like a goddamn four year old.

Ah, but reenacting/recreation can turn into a career. I basically larp as an 18thC American soldier, professionally. Before that I did early 17thC English (pic related).

So block us. That is a feature. Use it if you really get sand in your ass about it.

>LARP thread
>Turns into angry argument about namefags and tripfags

Guess that's the best proof why they are bad.

>Grow up!
>Posts it on Veeky Forums

Closing eyes won't make you disappear, you know?

Well, then feel free to enjoy my posts, as im not going anywhere. Just for you, user

>Grow up!
>Posts it on Veeky Forums
Hello, Mister Pot? Mister Kettle called, and he says you're black.

And we've got a thread about why it's evil to even consider muslims as human beings going simultaniously on this very board, so I hope you feel proud about your achievement.

One day you will die.
And nobody will care.

>I don't like thing!
"So do [thing] to hide it"
>NO! THING SHOULD GO AWAY! I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING!

We got rid of quests, you know? Because people were sick and tired with having to filter through that crap and it was still eating space on the board anyway.

And this attitude right here is why US LARP tends to suck.

Ah yes, because LARPing threads take up so much space on the board

>If I will cover my head with a pillow, I will stop seeing bad things
You should also loudly sing something akin to "LA LA LA LA, I can't hear you", you fucking manchild

There aren't 50 slightly different flavors of LARP thread on Veeky Forums, not even the same thing. Why don't you go make a website where people are only allowed to talk about the things you like instead?

Nobody said anything about LARPing.

The subject in question was existence of trip- and namefaggotry.

That's rich, mate. Totally shows the other side!

And, again, you can filter that shit, you fuckwit. Instead of hiding it and moving on with your fucking life, you're crying about how it'll still be there even if you can't see it.

>Veeky Forums
>Allowing LARP
Why don't LARPfags just pack their foam swords and start their own board?

So is Europe LARP comparable to Reenacters here in the states? I know here in the Deep South we take Civil War shit serious.

Any good LARP in Canada, specifically Ontario?

Only place I know near me is shit and uses foil balls and foam swords.

>Veeky Forums
>Allowing subjects I don't like
Why don't they just pack up all the things I don't like and make their own board?

boffer tag >>>>>>> larping

LARP is just an additional layer of money waste on top of the game aspect, sometimes not even containing a game part and being just a cosplay event.

Not him, and it has nothing to do with liking or not.
LARP has nothing to do with neither traditional games not tabletop games.
So kindly, fuck off

Depends on which one. Like Hungarian said - its a mixed bag.

Much better than US larp on average, but still a mixed bag.

To be fair, we do have outdoors, alternative sports and cosplay boards, which have more to do with LARP than Veeky Forums