What sort of historical records are there of tornadoes?

What sort of historical records are there of tornadoes?
I'm curious what different societies throughout history thought of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_Tupelo–Gainesville_tornado_outbreak
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>thought of them.
They suck.

Shit, I was aiming for Veeky Forums and I missed, sorry about that.

I suppose it's marginally related to Veeky Forums and we could still have an interesting thread.

>Shit, I was aiming for Veeky Forums and I missed, sorry about that.
Why would you even bother posting on Veeky Forums instead of Veeky Forums

AFAIK tornadoes really only happen in certain parts of the world, not including the Mediterranean or Middle East which are the most interesting parts. My guess is that they would just see it as the wind God being made, perhaps even their form manifested.

Huh. I hardly ever hear about Tornadoes in Europe.

Probably because they happen more frequently and severely in the US. Great Britan apparently has second most but much less severe.

This. They're quaint little dust devils in Europe.

It's only in the USA where we get strong conflicting winds coming from two oceans with strong temperature differentials and winds coming in from both north and south on differentials that we get life-destroying tornados.

Australia sees a fair amount, but they're not nearly as catastrophic as the American stuff.

in the UK our tornados knock over trees but thats pretty much it

>suck
Fpbp

I don't want to trend too much into it not being Veeky Forums related, but I do prefer Veeky Forums to Veeky Forums even for history discussion.

Mississippi poster here. Tornados are really fucking terrible. The city I grew up in in the 30's had a bad enough tornado that it damn near leveled the city.

So many died that they had to use the local theatre as a morgue temporarily and the theatre is still supposedly haunted to this day.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_Tupelo–Gainesville_tornado_outbreak

You can talk about anything here man

It just wont get alot of posts

There was also a tornado here in 2014 that went striaght down the street from me. I had (somehow) acquired a fear of storms that year and was stuck righy next to an F5 tornado which was basically my worst nightmare.

I'm still traumatized to this day. I take pills on a daily basis because my storm anxiety is so bad. I'd pay money to rid myself of this damn phobia. Its so inconvenient where I live.

Bro just move out of the alley.

Can't my good user, I have ehat would be considered a really good job here and make 31k a year.

Sure cost of living isnt much here, but calculating in : moving costs, finding a new job, and finding a new place to live can make moving on my 3rd world country salary pretty hard. I hope to be able to leave within 5 years.

Tornadoes are very rare outside of the US Midwest (granted, when I say "very rare", I mostly mean "compared to the US Midwest"). So probably their thoughts on them were "that's odd".

Ohio here.

Down the street from where I lived a tornado simply leveled a house. Nothing left standing. Just one house. Like God Himself reached down out of Heaven with a windy finger and said, "Fuck you guys in particular."

More posts than Veeky Forums, that board can get Glacial at times.

Have a shot of what a tornado did to my neighbor's house while leaving mine completely unscathed.

Tornadoes are bizarrely selective.
We had one come through in 2006 that came right through downtown, damage wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, but the patterns were just strange.
It destroyed a church and left wooden planks sticking out of the concrete retirement home next door. It didn't touch any of the three buildings around Happy Joes Pizza (All of which were bigger) and yet Happy Joes was completely gone. As in, the only thing that let you know there was ever a building there were a couple of pipes sticking out of the ground, not even any debris. The Dairy Queen vanished too, it was just some while floor tiles and electrical wires.

Only minor injuries, a lot of minor damage, scattered major damage, some wreckages of stores that got looted, overall it could have been a lot worse.

Illinois.
About a year back a small town near me (~2000) was pretty much removed from the map. No fatalities, because everyone had a basement/storm shelter. But you could count the houses left standing on one hand.

This was literally me, and this is exactly why I became a meteorologist.

Ive thought about becoming a meteorologist, but I don't have the money to go back to school.

>Tornado sweeps through and leaves all kinds of houses alone
>takes an entire pizza place and Dairy Queen away, never to be seen again
Even American weather has an eating problem.

Something like 95% of tornadoes happen in NA.

On a related note, it's almost too bad that more ancient societies didn't get to encounter tornadoes. All the different crazy myths that cropped up all over the world from the same phenomenon, tornadoes probably could have been one of the cooler bits of source material.

Fellow Ohioan here. There's a city in Ohio, Xenia, that has earned a reputation for being a tornado magnet. Tornados have, on multiple occasions, skipped entire TOWNS just to hit Xenia. It's so bad, the native Shawnee Indian population referred to it as the land of the crazy winds. Xenia's been leveled at least once. I don't know why people still live there.

Kansas here.

Tornadoes only seem to prey on smaller towns and farmhouses. Thankfully one hasn't ever torn through somewhere like Wichita, but I remain convinced that's because the Keeper of the Plains keeps them away.

I'm in NW Arkansas myself. All I can say is poor fucking Joplin, Missouri. They're maybe 2-3 hours north of here and every two years it seems that the almighty tries to convince them to move.

I've got a question for you. It seems like a lot of houses through the more tornado prone parts of the US don't have basements. Any idea what that's about?

There's probably something wrong with the ground, like maybe the water resivoir is too close or you just can't get a foundation
Alternately, it could be because of the 1950s

The ground is hard-packed, there are flooding concerns too.

As a Canada fag I can only assume because of the lack of runoff on the plains to rivers and stuff due to little amount of hills and rocky terrain. Flooding is probably a big issue.

That's it then. I guess I'm lucky to live in an area with good ground, other than the radon

This happened at 25 km from Venice last year. F4, if it's the same scale you use in the USA.

While this is some "only every 40 years" shit, it's nothing new. I guess the difference is that here it happens more locally and mostly next to the sea in the northern part of Italy (and in Puglia).

The villa was in solid masonry, luckily (if I can use the word here) it's wasn't that historical... still, it managed to level a XVII century villa.

There are no tornadoes in Scandinavia, that's for sure. They're just coverups for troll attacks.

I see your neighbor lives in cedar grove drive