/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: ORA ORA ORA edition

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/5eg/'s fucking awesome tool (made by an user)
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/
Previous thread: What's the best way to emulate a Stand style character in 5E? Some kind of weird warlock/monk homebrew perhaps?

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How about you don't try to be just like your Taiwanese Puppet Drama characters in a game that isn't intended to represent that style of character?

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html

I added a simple CR calculator to 5etools. I'll expand on its features later (want to include hit die calculation and CR-relevant features from the DMG).

I just wanna have a giant demon thing surrounding me that matches my punches.

reflavor a cleric.

done. now quit your shit.

We will never quit, not until the day you stop sucking dick.

New DM questions
>EXP or milestones
>How often should battlemaps come up (even if we don't have minis)
>how much of the first adventure should I have planned out before we start
>homebrew shit: how much in either direction (UA included)
>campaign rips a whole lot of shit from planescape but on the material world (meaning lots of extraplanar shit happening) how often should an encounter hopping off the material plane go into a demiplane vs one of the bigger ones

>I want [insert fluff here] to have its own unique mechanics

Just play pathfinder, they have at least 2 different classes that do that

May I ask what they are? I'd be down to try converting them

>implying I don't play both
I also play 4th edition. That doesn't mean I can't want new and interesting mechanics for their own sake.

Spiritualist works pretty well with what you're talking about
also summoner

Spiritualist may have been put in the game just for jojofags.

Good luck converting them

Make sure you post them here so we can laugh at you

So I'm assembling a more advanced Devourer to serve as a big bad. What are some neat minions that are undead and complement the fighting style of the Devourer?

If you meet regularly and award XP for roleplaying and advancing the narrative, in addition to combat, then go with XP. If you meet less frequently, or just want to keep everyone at parity, milestones.

Battlemaps are best used when you have a large, climactic encounter you want to run that has to take place in a specific, interesting location. No minis required, you can use coins, dice, cardboard tokens. Other than that, you can mostly handle combat without physical representation.

If you or your players are new to tabletop rpgs in general, or even just 5e specifically, hold back on most homebrew. If you have a player that's dead set on playing a particular character concept that is covered by UA, allow it tentatively, if the concept makes sense for the setting you're running. Be wary of non-UA homebrew without testing. If in doubt, always feel free to ask about it here in /5eg/, though be warned, we tend to get salty about it.

I have no advice for your planescape wackiness, I prefer the Spelljammer approach.

M I L E S T O N E S

Synthesist archetype Summoner, and Spiritualist.

Undead Chef

This UA is flaming hot trash.
>lets add two more edge and angst paladin archetypes on top of the two we already have
Removing the alignment restriction was a mistake

How often is frequently for that first point? Cause I was planning on awarding full XP at least for solving puzzles and routing enemies to try and discourage murder-hoboing and encourage actually talking shit out. Part of the setting i'm running is a bit less pure good and evil shit so talking would be fine. and maybe social situations if they're a full mission but i'm not certain. I'm definitely getting them to 3 real damn fast.

Nah they're fine
Our paladin just converted from vengeance to conquest last night. It lines up way better with his character.

If you're doing that and have at least 2 sessions of good length a month, you're good.

>Spelljammer
Seems cool and definitely solves the problem of the one single world feeling far too important from the perspective of the rest of the material universe. I gotta read dat shit at somepoint.

Can monks grapple or shove with their bonus action unarmed strike/s?

what does the 'use saves' box stand for?

Thoughts on sending a new player here to get an overview of classes and races instead of giving them the PHB or whatever? My experience is that most newbs wont even flip through it unless I'm directly in front of them and then its easier for me to just answer their questions myself.

Here being this github not the CR calc obviously.

Toying around with a homebrew race for a setting I'm going to run. Was considering racial shield proficiency since shields are a signature piece of equipment for this race, but that seems a bit too powerful. Am I correct in thinking this or am I worrying too much?

OP here, i'll be honest i've never actually watched Jojo. I just really like the OP image's flavor and wanted something based around that. After reading the spiritualist, that definitely seems more like the flavor I'm going for, having a spirit that's binded to you as a kind of super-familiar seems super interesting, especially if it has its own goals

Just added a ritual filter/(ritual) tag as part of search. Should go live here in a few.

If a creature's damage output is based more on save-based abilities rather than attacks, you use the saving throw DC to calculate instead.

At the moment the page assumes you've read through the monster creation rules (DMG pg. ~275).

New player here. Is eldritch knight good?

I've always wanted to be an arcane swordsman type character, and I'm excited that EK is an archtype in the core handbook, but I worry they may not be that good in combat. How are they?

They're a fighter, so they're good in combat by default.

Above the base fighter class, they have the potential for great utility and defense. They're good.

They always do fine in combat, since the Base fighter class in 5e is actually decent in combat. Their spellcasting progression is a bit stunted, and the restriction on most of your spells needing to be either Abjuration or Evocation hurts in terms of flexibility. If you stick with mostly Abjuration spells, you'll be fine since those will enhance your already significant defenses as opposed to trying to simply shore up. There are a few Evocation spells that are definitely worth picking up, but don't really come into play until higher levels. The Cantrips from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide really help though, and most DMs allow them.

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's that integral have it in there along with whatever racial powers they get but just nerf the other ones or remove them entirely for the sake of balance after a little bit of trial an error

Hey man, if Mountain dwarfs can get racial Heavy Armor and a shitload of weapons, your homebrewsm'n can totally get shields.

Yeah, I had planned to do something along those lines. Regardless, I plan to post it here for people to pick apart, rewrite it, then upload again for people to use.

That's true. I totally forgot about Dwarves. Thank you both

i thought they only get medium armor

So one of my players is a Lore Bard that constantly swings between stupidly broken and completely useless in whatever fight he's in.
One fight he's got a hill giant running scared while the other players wail on it, another he's literally burying himself in the sand to hide from a dragon while everybody else gets wrecked. In the first fight of our latest campaign he had to fake his own death in an illusionary pit of lava so the first enemy they face would stop wrecking him. Whenever his spells fail, he's fairly useless and his player complains, but when his spells hit, he's overpowered and the other players complain.
Is it worth giving him some kind of melee weapon that will boost his usefulness when the enemies make their saving throws, or is that going to make him even more overpowered when they don't?
Or are there tactics or spells he should focus on so he's not dead weight half the time in combat?

That they do, my mistake.

The point still stands, though. Shitload of weapons, light, and medium armor proficiency, in addition to skills and resistances, AND a second +2 ability score. Dwarves are actually a pretty loaded race.

How would one stat out, or even flavor, some Fae-touched dinosaurs?
In my campaign the party will be coming across a Land That Time Forgot rip-off. Since that would be untouched nature I want it to have a Fey crossing with a strong influence from the Feywild affecting the creatures and the land, so some fucked savage and magical shit.

Inspire more? if he is liberally using inspiration, and the party is winning because of it, he can take credit.

forgot pic

What are good magic items for eldritch knights?

Classes probably not so much, that page needs a lot of work.

Everything else: sure.

Those are called dragons

The reasoning is that +2 strength is 99% of the time only useful for classes that already get medium armor proficiency, while those that want the medium armor have no need for the strength. Weapon proficiencies are mostly just ribbons, while shield and armor proficiencies are trickier because they are quite powerful for some classes and entirely useless for others.

To be fair, back during the playtest they did have heavy armor proficiency but it got nerfed to light and medium.

Any other good resources then? I got one potential player who works like 50 hours and his only day off is the day we play. I also work a pretty full schedule so we can't just meet up on our time off.

Quick visit to Veeky Forums to ask, does anyone have a link to those compilations of "critical successes going badly?" Like the whole "Roll a 20, you punched out his heart and alert the whole castle from his scream." type things?

The pdf?

>playing martials when casters are available

I think one of the problems is that he feels like he's not participating directly in combat, so I might talk to him about making another character, since the Lore Bard seems almost all support and utility.
It's gonna be hard because he's by far the most lolrandom player of the group, and refuses to make a decent backstory. His character is literally a "mysterious, unnamed bard" that's chaotic neutral and a gnome.
I wouldn't play with him at all if he didn't come up with the most ingenious solutions to shit from time to time.

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant.

>pursuing dissociative power fantasies
>feeling smug
>shitposting

I tried but apparently 300 pages is intimidating, even though I told his he really only needs to read the races and classes he is interested in. I figured some sort of web app the contains the same information would be more inviting to flip through then the full pdf.

I checked this link out earlier, this will be absolutely useful. Sent it to my GM and fellow players as well. Will it be possible in the future to filter for spells with the (Ritual) tag?

Found the useless martial

Your other option is to ask him what he wants to play and make his sheet for him.

I get that 5e is the simplest edition and streamlined a lot of stuff, but if that's the mentality I'd recommend playing a less rules-heavy game. I'm not a fan of Dungeon World but Apocalyse World is fantastic if you're ok with post-apoc.

Should be there soon

D'oh, missed that. Awesome, thanks so much! Taking a Pact of the Tome warlock, so anything with a ritual tag is my shopping list.

it's alright. personally i'd prefer a slightly wider spell selection, because as it stands it has little to no capabilities for a ranged spell fighter (but now we have arcane archer for that) and you'll usually find yourself spread a bit thin as far as spell choices, but like the other user said, it's great at abjurations to tank up or support allies

What class should my character be?

He's intense and very passionate. Usually a hot mess, even when calm he's very expressive. Always going with his gut, he trusts himself wholly.
Also, he's got a good sense of humor and a bit accident prone. But finds that alot of his accidents end up having a positive result.
Trusts the fates, trusts himself.

Background : Guild Artisan(Sculptor)

He's an artist, he sculpts. Alot of the time he finds inspiration or overcomes artist block from a happy accident.

Why did he start adventuring? - He had artist's block and accidentally, while pacing, knocked over one of his sculptures.
It broke and in the rubble he believes he saw a sign that he'd find inspiration out in the world being an adventurer.

When in doubt just pick rogue

best I got

Sounds like a bard to me.

Maybe a cleric or some shit
Tie in the artistry and fates with some god of art

Level 0 commoner. Any actual class would be a stretch as he has zero abilities or specialities that relate to adventuring.

What would you say is the strongest fighter archetype?

Wasn't the barb UA pretty much 2/3'd jojo? With Path of the Ancestral Guardian being a punch ghost during rage and Path of the Zealot being Johnathan and Joseph minus Hamon?

I was think of things like Blink Velociraptors, or something has a Sprites poison. Using Darklings as template would be interesting also.

Battlemaster, maybe Knight.

Battlemaster is by far the best at battlefield control and team tactics. It's definitely my favorite, but I don't have the math to say it's the strongest.

Battlemaster. Best average damage, most versatility in combat, gets at least some noncombat use.

And I fucking hate this fact.

Bard or cleric

Paladin if you really wanna go for the
>he believes in himself
bit but he'd get proficiencies from nowhere.

Not quite what I was after, but I had a hearty kek at the pic anyway. Cheers.

You can only punch ghost on reaction for 2d8 upon getting hit. You could do it but you'd have to get to 14 first.

>not blending martial and magical talents
>specializing like an insect

Really? But does it even make sense? He's accident prone and passionate/boisterous. Just doesn't make sense imo.

It makes some sense, but i have a hard time wrapping my head around a sculptor being a bard. I mean, i can totally refluff the music to art...but at the same time, i have a hard time accepting that he'd have the raw materials on hand all the time to sculpt little statues to cast spells with. The idea was he sculpted out of large slabs of marble.

Is there a domain you recommend refluffing for that? Knowledge maybe?

I was thinking that maybe him chiseling and hammering marble, would give him a strong arm and proficiency with a kind of weapon, like a warpick.

Thri-kreen Master Race

>Relying on magic in a contest of arms
Shamefur Dispray

kek

Sculptors rarely go directly from idea to chiseling.

>warpick proficiency
Peasants would probably get pitchfork proficiency. That doesn't make them adventurers. I'm just saying that the backstory includes nothing as to how they have the powers of an adventurer. It'd be easy to add devotion to a god, artsy bard magic, warlock patron (seeker or something).

I'm surprised no one suggested Wild Mage. Did you want Wild Mage?

I've only just picked up 5e and while I usually prefer more subtle support characters, I like to theorize with game mechanics, especially before I'm going to GM.

What're the highest reliable damage per round options looking like? Fighters look like they get a lot of attacks.

I think the last big one I saw was something like a paladin. Throwing in smites and what not. Your damage per round though will start to fizzle out once you run out of spell slots.

Champion if you get hardly any rests yet do lots of fighting or for a 3 level dip synergy. Champion is actually not too bad at the very high levels.
EK if you want to be a tank.
Battlemaster however will generally be the best with the exception of the two above.
Knight is good if your DM never attacks you in the first place.
Samurai is good for a three level dip.

Level 5 fighter can do 110 damage in a turn, sorcerer/warlock can do less and needs setup but several turns in a row with 2 Eldritch Blasts every turn on a Hexed target, paladin and rogue do good damage, especially on a crit.

> 5e
> magic item
Entirely depend on your DM

Okay, so I built the character out of rolling stats.
I rolled a 9 on Charisma. So I am reluctant to take any Cha based classes. I don't really see Artists as being Charismatic.

When i roll stats i take them in-order and based on if the stat is below 10 or above 13 i assign a personality trait

Statistic High Low
Strength : Forceful - Defiant
Dexterity : Overconfident - Silly
Constitution : Hearty - Distracted
Wisdom : Sensitive - Paranoid
Intelligence : Technical - Honest
Charisma : Calculating - Spontaneous

Forceful because they are used to people getting out of their way
Defiant because they are used to people pushing them around
Overconfident because they are used to having great control of their body
Silly because they are used to being accident prone and just make jokes about it now
Hearty because they always feel healthy and lively
Distracted because they always feel too exhausted to be focused
Sensitive because they are overly receptive to many senses and interactions with others
Paranoid because they don't understand how anything works
Technical because they have a lot of knowledge and want to share it
Honest because they don't have the knowledge to construct a believable lie and they know it.
Calculating because they are used to people following them
Spontaneous because they are used to people ignoring their suggestions/presence, so fuck it.

Str - 16 - Forceful
Dex - 9 - Silly
Con - 11 - N/A
Wis - 14 - Sensitive
Int - 12 - N/A
Cha - 9 - Spontaneous

Those are the stats, and out of those traits i came up with him being a passionate and emotional artist who relies on happy accidents.

Eldritch Knight is less spellsword slinging and more of a
>Good luck I'm behind 7 arcane wards
kind of character in my experience. You get to throw some spells, but getting magically tanky is your real power.

A magical javelin

hi

Yo, hows it goin?

That's good user. Remember: AWARD XP FOR OVERCOMING A CHALLENGE, NOT REDUCING IT TO 0 HIT POINTS.

ok

Okay, that is a shitty system, those are shit stats, and I will have no more with this shitty character.

Not that guy, but >Level 5 fighter can do 110 damage in a turn

How
Am I missing something
Am I dumb

Then start Open Hand monk and reflavor Ki abilities as a Punch Ghost
-Flurry is ORAORAORA
-Patient Defense/Deflect Missiles is your stand protecting you
-Step of the wind is your stand pulling you like Josuke and Okuyasu do in DiU
Max you would need in monk would be 3 but you would probably go 4 for ASI.
Then go 14 Barb for path of ancestors to reaction punch ghost. The other 2 levels take some sort of caster or go variant human for magic initiate to get magic for your stand abilities.

Oh and make sure you have proficiency in performance for posing

Triggered. Kek.

Why is it a shit system?