Tis the Season

Tis the Season

/fowg/ Your home for all things FOW on Veeky Forums

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide & FAQ, Podcast, and Defense of Moscow list:
docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
discord.gg/drZbxvm

Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk Listener Questions Form:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Other urls found in this thread:

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5434
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5433
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah... I put the subject in the name field. Can't delete the thread.

>Fames of war

No, the "L" is there.

You didn't pull an Eagles.

Reminder that just as ww2 split early, mid, and late war that the cold war should be split about the same.

>Early cold war, the Korean Conflict
This would be surplus ww2 equipment, and some new jet fighters, but play similar to latewar mixed with the Israeli stuff in rotation. Great for M*A*S*H jokes and lots of back and forth. Get your corn-cob pipe.

>mid coldwar, Vietnam
They could easily reroll the rules and existing models into this era. Would also allow an easy explination for the needed rules changes for how air mobility, wounds, and other things work. Great for fflashbacks, and approaches modern game style in models and rules. Kill count is King!

>late coldwar, Gone hot/WW3
This is wwhere you incorporate team yankee near enough to as-is, to show a dramatically increased, technologically advanced, modern warfighting. The smaller point and base requirments fit well, and play well.

Arab-Israeli and Vietnam are getting reworked as essentially "Early" Team Yankee.

As for Korea, that would probably work best with the WWII rules since that's 1950s.

Exactly. It would work as a bridge between rule sets. Rework all of it as the coldwar collection.

Right, and stuff like Desert Storm and forward could be "Late" Team Yankee.

Anybody have any advice for Soviet anti-infantry tactics in Team Yankee?

Especially against British Infantry?

Yeah! Scud launcher mission objective when? Taliban with stingers when? Proxy wars
Warriors that play like partisans in midwar do.

what about iraq war wmd weapon objective markers?

they'd be easy to make

>get your corn-cob pipe

>Scud launcher mission objective when?

That's a good idea. Using strategic assets as objectives, gives you an excuse to put cool models on the table.

"Where's the objective?"
"Oh it's there somewhere man trust me"

As in, soviets fighting British infantry?

Same winning strat as most other soviet winning lists: Fuckloads of infantry and BMPs and good AA. Drive the BMPs over autocannoning everything while the infantry run into hand-to-hand, and bury him in communist corpses. It's easier than it is for tank lists since your autocannons work and the infantry do much more in assault.

If you don't have 40 BMPs though then I guess you're kinda hosed, British infantry (especially airmobile) can get so many horrific ATGMs I have no idea how you're meant to get through it. It's probably what the T-55 spam will be for.

Imagine it, roll for the objective like rolling for reserves, and you could modify the supply route ambush rules to be something like "intelligence report" to increase, or decrease likleyhood of it being there.

Saved. Can you make one for macarthur?
>Who gets killed by a jeep, that aint even in the fight? Sounds like a faggot to me.

>If you don't have 40 BMPs

I do not. I have more of a mixed force of Tanks and Infantry.

>then I guess you're kinda hosed

Surely it can't be that bad.

Artillery, air strikes, and those Brutal main guns should be able to do something.

Actually fuck that, I went back to look up how many Milans you can get and an FV and Lynx detachment is 22 milans in under 50 points and given they're straight through on T-55s they're even more fucked. It's basically got to be infantry, and even then it might be tricky if they've got enough of the GMPGs.

The thing is, that's an **actual** Patton quote.

you can't make up patton quotes

They'll almost certainly be dug-in and concealed, so you're hitting on 5s to start with (he's actually got 4" on you, so they might be able to fire from outside your range). Brutal is only a reroll now, so a little better than a half chance of a kill instead of a straight kill.

10 T-72s is 47 points, which is also two FV platoons, two Lynx platoons, and their attached milan sections. That's 2 milans per FV platoon, 4 for their AT section, 3 per lynx platoon, and 8 for their AT section.

I do not rate 10 T-72s shooting out against 22 milans.

Can you dig in infantry whilst garrisoned inside a building?

Why would you? The building provides bulletproof cover, just as you would get if dug in.

In FoW, it allows you to shoot out of any part of wall, not just those with openings.

No such thing in TY.

So with formations being a thing, do you guys think an alternating activation system might be workable?

Like going back and forth activating formations?

Just throwing ideas around, but it could work I think.

You do know that most forces will be 1-2 formations based off TY, right?

Wish me well lads, the Continuation war campaign I've been playing in is coming to a close tonight. Axis powers are ahead by two points, but enough hordes of T-34s can crush the Finns easier than I'd like.

Even on a per-platoon basis, you get:

10 T-72s fire at an airmobile platoon. The best-case scenario this is 5 hits if they're running around out in the open like goobers. Assume you allocate to milans first, he'll mistaken target and you'll lose a milan hit. Net result: One dead milan. In return fire he'll fire two milan shots (again being really nice and assuming that you're concealed) and hit with one, which you're not likely to save and will probably knock out a tank.

More likely, they'll be dug in, and concealed with that, if not gone to ground. Hitting on sixes gets maybe two hits, one kill, maybe on a milan, and in return you get lit up by everything else.

The milan is AT 21, and the T-72s don't have the armour to stand up to a gunline of that; the game assumed you'd have maybe eight tanks, at a push, that had stuff that's essentially straight-through on the T-72, and the brits can bring 22 of them.

Is there a list that lets you have access to Volkssturm and Marders?

The Berlin lists are full of fun stuff but no Marders unfortunately.

Wrong file.

>AT 21
Hurrah! I'm vindicated! East Germans have export-ammo. And Bazooka skirts, likewise, it seems... Though it looks like they still have the BDD-bump on the turret? Maybe that's the bicolour scheme.

>thumbnail image is small

>Though it looks like they still have the BDD-bump on the turret?
My understanding is that they're never making an actual T-72M. That's a regular plastic T-72 with a different paintjob. I also saw something about the BRDM being AT5 and the wheeled SAM thingy having 2 shots.

Gaskin getting ROF 2 makes sense. They carried four ready-rockets and fired them in pairs.

Also as far as I understand it, T-72M looks virtually identical to the normal T-72.

BRDM being AT 5 sounds kinda OK? It's AP ammo can penetrate 32mm of RHA at 500m, IIRc. At least at 0 degrees.

I think afghansty have might fare okay defending against milan spam. You get the grenade launchers and heavy MGs. I would go heavy on hinds and bet on my opponent only bringing tracked rapiers. so you can alpha strike the AA missiles first turn to remove them from the game. Then use your remaining hinds to deploy afghansty where you want and harass infantry/helos.

>Also as far as I understand it, T-72M looks virtually identical to the normal T-72.

Later ones do, they changed the shape of the turret to be less sloped at the front and welded more steel armour on the cheeks. Not quite the same bulge as BDD but similar enough when covered by smoke launchers.

This might actually work with the insane amount of shots those grenade launchers get, but remember the milans will be firing at the hinds, too, and I wouldn't expect many of them left on the table after a couple of turns of loads of FP 3+ shots flying around.

Yeah, so ideally you will want to spend some of the rest of your points on artillery to try to pin some of the milans. Hinds can also try to rocket salvo.

At least when Milans fire at your Hinds, they aren't shooting at your tanks. It may buy a little time to get some armor inside of the milans minimum range.

And remember, the Milans do not fire as defensive AA.

They'd have to fire in their own turn.

Right, so Frogfoots would be very effective assuming you can actually roll well enough to get them on the board.

I just don't see many British players working the subpar blowpipes into their lists for additional AA, so I think the Brits are vulnerable to a determined air attack. Basically as soon as you take out the 4 tracked rapiers you only have to worry about AA MGs.

Use your Hinds as observers to bring fire from your Artillery down on their AA.

Yeah assuming you can deploy out of the HUGE range of the tracked rapiers. I doubt that will be a given. I'm probably more interested in trading blows at the beginning.

But I think the entrance of British infantry into Team Yankee meta will get people to see the value of artillery, particularly rocket artillery and mortars.

Ah.

Based off the doomsayers I figured we're be looking 4-5 formations. Saw a lot of people complaining about people bringing a shit ton of formations

Infantry aren't pinned by artillery anymore, only 5/8 hits.

That's a brit thing, I think. They can easily do 3-4 formations, because some of theirs are cheap and tiny (like the airmobile infantry and recce squadrons).

West german formation of 3 Leo 1s and 4 luchs 11 points

>Timothy Harris T55AM2B first, Leopard 1 will be afterwards, probably end of Q3

From the Team Yankee facebook page. Both tanks confirmed, looking like T-55s first quarter, Leos Q3.

I'm talking team yankee, user. Infantry and unarmored tank units are automatically pinned when hit by a bombardment.

T-55's as soon as April? How long ago did they pull the trigger I wonder.

i think this guy either plans more or has a quicker turn around for plastics than BF does.

probably the moment AIW hit he wanted something similar, TY just kicked his ass into motion.

We lost the battle, but won the war. Axis won in a 4-game format by one point overall. Now we're moving to a Burning Empires/North Africa series.

>Burning Empires/North Africa
britian a best.
hold tobuc

yeaaaaaah boy! NA campaign was the best fun i have ever had. good variation on what you can do too. we had a mix up of battalion sized engagements to SAS raids on german airfields. took half a year to play though.

that fookin comic gets me erry time

Unfortunately one of the players in the campaign is a kid and for some reason I'll be Germans in the first half (alles auf deutschland!) and transitioning to Americans in the North Africa portion (fuck the krauts!). Complicated, but whatever. I'm happy to play.

question for mini storage. Looking to store my tanks and SPGs in a foam tray and wondering what hieght would you say to grab? Have the 1.5 for my Infantry, was debating that or the 2.0 inch for my vehicles

It really depends on what vehicle.

1.5 inch would probably be alright for most transports or tanks like the Panzer IV, or Sherman.

But the 2 inch would probably be better for things like King Tigers and other exceptionally tall vehicles.

for an army list with Shermans and Sextons with M10s and a few Universal Carriers, so nothing too tall, besides the antennas the previous owner put on some of the tanks.

2 inch foam is great for big guns, too.

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5434

Their cover art is still on point if nothing else.

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5433

And confirmation of Rulebooks being sent out to people if they don't got a LGS.

TY only counts hits. 5 hits from artillery still pins but it's a bigger ask.

Don't know where you are getting this from. This is from page 54 of the rule book. The 5/8 hit rule is only applicable to direct fire weapons.

...Son of a bitch, no wonder the Brits are so damn good.

We've been playing it that you need five hits from artillery to pin. That's game-changing.

Load up on artillery and with a big grin on your face slide the rule book over to your Brit opponent and show him that rule.

Using arty to pin will at least give you a 50/50 shot that the Milan teams will be unable to fire. And with the arty rules you can repeat target without any penalties for ranging in. That helps the soviet artillery. You also can use your preplanned bombardment at the beginning of the game to change your opponents deplyment. I think you want to concentrate the British infantry as much as possible.

Yeah, for weeks we've felt artillery was pretty much useless, given it's low odds of actually killing anything, and unpinned 22 milans is just ridiculous. 11 might be doable.

Yeah, I use the LARS with my West Germans. You can cover a lot of teams under the big template and if platoons are close enough you can put it down between them. The rockets aren't very good at killing, especially vehicles, but they have smoke and minelets.

The only arty I see the soviet players in my area using is the carnation. I'm debating buying the hail battery for the bigger template.

Soviets should really have access to a dismounted heavy mortar platoon, one per Motor Rifle formation. I can't imagine it'd be more than 2 points for 4 tubes.

Now I don't trust Battlefront to get around to adding it, but it should be there to fill this role.

The box sets look pretty good

The German stuff looks pretty good as well, especially the 88 guns

would have prefered the tank configuration the other way around

That's what I was thinking. Or maybe at least 4 and 4. Looking at both boxes seems like the German one is better than the British starter.

But wow, aren't those models pretty! Look at all the rivets on the Lee!

Any kind user willing to share knispel's pdf?

NOT ENOUGH CRUSADERS

what no infantry?

easier to learn to play with just tanks (or, I guess, tanks and guns)
Easier to fit into a little box
Less to clean
Less annoying to paint.
Makes sense for starter kits.

yeah you're right
but i love painting 15mm infantry

I never liked painting infantry.
Then I pained a full Hohei Chutai (all 3 platoons, HQ, Sticky-Tricky-Nicky-Haikus, MGs, Guns etc) in a single week.
Now I loathe it.

Well those tanks give me hope for the Italians.

Would love if they get a box like this.

they are getting some plastics according to their christmas video

Yeah, I just think one of these little starter boxes would be bithcin'. Some tanks and a pair of 90/53's.

why what?
why I don't like it?
Or why I subjected myself to painting 2k of jap-pure infantry in a single week?

If the former, because I can't do it all with an airbrush in 10 minutes.
If the latter, because there was an EW tournament coming up and I wanted an actual, nice looking EW army.

So, is version 4 getting rid of command teams for weapons platoons, like mortars/ anti-tank guns/ HMGs?

Rumour claim so. We won't know for certain until it's released.

I HAVE VOLKSARMEE CUNTS
>the WI preview is wrong and the basic stabilizer rule or whatever is not in the book
>basic inf teams are firepower 6 instead of 5+
>btr is at 5 with the mg which helps when every fucking list is bmp spam
>gaskin is rof 2 and 5+ firepower
>that's it really

Firepower six seems weird when every other rifle ever is 5+.

How much are T-72Ms? I'm guessing board-filling cheap with T-55s?

From what I understand it's because NVA infantry squads don't have a grenade launcher? Not sure, it got mentioned on the forums a week or two back.

gonna have all these fucking command and spotter teams lying around I guess

35 points for 10 T-72s. Also everything is skill 4+ but the only major ingame effect is better arty that costs more I think.

any dutch anons have spare decals for some german and us tanks they can post to me?

if you can email me at [email protected] zou dat geweldig zijn!

12 points off isn't trivial. Can you go all-in on T-72s, or do you have to take some T-55s?

What's the "standard" point size for LW FoW?

Also is recon mandatory if you're playing an always defends list?

Dutchy here, but no spare decals, sadly.

There's some pretty solid online sources for 15mm scale decals, though, depending on which one you want specifically.
Most Dutch gaming stores should also be able to get some of that, like the PSC sets.

How much is a mid size company of 5-6 tanks? T-72s that is.

Any can you share any pictures of the book?

15 to 17 hundred ish

Probably can get by without

1420, I think

LW "standard" changes every year - BattleFront sets an arbitrary size for the big official tournaments, and most local tournaments copy it. They change it year-to-year to prevent list stagnation (aka keep people buying)

As for Recon, you don't 100% *need* it in an always defend list, but keep in mind that roughly 1/3 of missions don't have a true defender, so whatever your list, you need to be able to move quickly in the "Fair Fight" scenarios (heck, some of the times there's a real "Defender" you still have to move around a lot)
Recce offers you more than "Eyes and Ears" and ambush-denial. Recce is usually very fast, recce is usually armored, and recce nearly always has machine guns. This typically allows them to be potent infantry-deterrents, and you can potentially use them to block the enemies' Recce moves (or movement-at-the-double)

its BF so i don't have much hope for axis minor powers. my guess is we get a bunch of M14/41 in plastic (maybe an autoblinda) and the rest will be their pre-napalmed looking models.

Rumor had it that BF found plastic infantry difficult to make, so they'll stick to metal from now on. And they're trying to keep starter boxes plastic-only.