Buddy is a long time DM or whatever for LARP

>buddy is a long time DM or whatever for LARP
>knows I'm into theater
>knows I'm into innawoods shit
>tall
>generally rugged looking
>wants me to play a super important Ranger that guides the party through the woods, apparently a really important NPC that'll be with the PCs for several sessions + recurring stuff

I'm treating it like an acting role, but how do I keep from overshadowing the PCs mid-session?
How do I make them feel immersion in the cold as shit mountain woods where this is going down? Tips and etiquette for LARPing IC and OOC?

Step 1: be a cool dude
Step 2: if you actually know outdoorsy stuff and can irl guide them through the woods more competently than just following a trail you're already 200% better and more immersive than any larp npc I've ever seen. So try and do that.

I'd handle it like I handle typical NPCs, when there is a thing to do, going to speak with some NPCs, gotta clear a dungeon, or bring about the end of an evil individual, let them do it.

Also maybe something good is only express the character when asked about it, give off a past of a season warrior maybe someone will ask you about it. Basically be a part of the environment, lore to fill the air etc.

If you can, go check out the woods they play in (if you haven't already) in advance. Put some mental notes, if you wish.

Go with the "I know these parts well" -type of character, as the role of ranger very much is. Talk about the scenery when you go past it, but let that be it. If they ask about your character, have some answer skeletons at hand, ask your friend for possible pointers on that.

And as said, don't initiate things on your own, just be a guide through the woods.

Overshadowing should not be too much of a problem, because unless you start initiating things on your own, keeping silent (save saying a thing or two about the woods) and looking tough is enough to give an aura of a well-versed ranger.

Best yet, plan some routes through the woods with your friend, so that you can actually lead and ask your friend if there are any landmarks to keep an eye out for.

This Also, learn the rules, and learn the setting at least as far as it concerns you. Be able to give basic answers about your character as a person, no need to go into too much detail.

Got a pic of your kit? Give us abreak down of the character? Who are you? Where are you from? What do you do typically in life?

Well I'm going to help the DM navigate the wood so the clown doesn't go full missing persons with himself and four others, plotting a path near the foot of the mountain where he wants this to go down.

The biggest concern is that I've seen these guys before and they're all kinda pallid doughy types that live far West of this little mountain where it's ~78 F and the mountain is like 18 F this time of year. Their characters are supposed to be grizzled and stern, but they'll be shivering in no time.

Any way I can keep this from my NPC from looking tougher than them? Also, the DM is giving me license to make up names for plants.

Fantasy plant names?

Bring an OOG modern safety bag. Flares, space blankets, compass, hi-vis tape etc etc.

The DM has the costume and it sorta fits.

>PCs need to find and ancient stone cairn in the middle of this icy forest.
>told about a mountain man that lives near the base on the west side of the feet

I guide them through by whatever means they persuade the character, likely with goods or tools. Cash has little use to the guy this far out.

My set is a brown leather breastplate with shirt and a dark overcoat. Fur boots, hatchet, and a crossbow with a few knives for defense or bush tooling. Also a sword that they might ask about, but it's character history that'll be in a PDF I'm getting next week.

You're not carrying live knives and hatchet alongside game weapons, correct? If you were, I would highly suggest moving them into the aforementioned OOG bag.

Do you have a map or layout of the area?

Also, why would a Forrester wear a breastplate of any sort?

Tell the wimps to get some long johns and extra shirts and keep a brave face.

Hmm... Does the NPC need not look tougher than them, taking account that the character is resident to the colder area? Even though grizzled, a man of south is a man of warm weather.

To be quite honest, if these pallid guys really feel that it's getting "quite cold" just kind of go with it, maybe say a thing or two about how the winter has been harsh this year or something. No need to really act that it's cold, just exclaim it (in character, preferably, of course) and they won't feel so bad about it.

How long are you going to be wandering around, in hours? The guys should also get a little warmer from the fact that they will be hiking. I know that if you walk long enough in a cold weather, your body gets into an equilibrium... Although, at 18ºF, I don't even see the point, even beside my own bias (I live barely over 100 miles from the arctic circle next to a sea, winters usually top at -16º or so, sometimes climbing to -30º at worst).

I asked the same thing. It should be in the PDF. I expect something like hostile critters or entities that prowl around here and there.

I got a map, but I'm pretty familiar with the place.

They're dulled steel. That bad?

Well I just don't want to make the PCs feel less powerful or whatever. When you play the heroes it can be a buzz kill getting humbled.

>They're dulled steel. That bad?
Well, if you intend to carry a practical trail axe or knife... Yes thats bad to have it be blunt.

But in general, if you are playing the game and are not an OOG referee, you should NEVER have access to steel weapons of any sort unless they are packed in such a way that you would have to halt the game to get to them (IE, a hatchet in a backpack etc)

Safety mang. Don't get me wrong, I always have a camp hatchet and a good knife, but it lives in the haversack until I need it at games.

No, I'm bringing a tomahawk and a real knife in my bag.

The DM is loaning me all this stuff for the costume. The rest is just innawoods crap I have for hikes and hunting.

Also, fantasy plant names?

Dragonsbane
Mandrake
Stone Leaf
Spider Moss
Frost Bulb
I don't know think of a word that has something to do with the area like cold or whatever and add a plant word after it.

Then you can just slightly nudge them to thinking that you're cold, even though you aren't. Things like:

(If it isn't snowing or hasn't snowed in the entire time there):
>It hasn't snowed in days. It's just been cold and dry.

And shit like that.

Plant names are easy, like either take obscure, weird or ominous words relating to nature and combine it with a normal plant word (Miregrowth, Dreadgrass etc.) , go check some synonyms for nature-esque words and see if you find any weird ones.

Another is to take ominous-sounding latin or greek words and combine them with some common plant names.

Although... How much snow will there be? Because if there's like even ten inches of snow, plants will be very few and far between.

Well, if your DM is retarded enough to suggest wearing blunt weapons as costume, ignore it. Keep the hawk and the knife in your bag with some safety goods.

>Also, why would a Forrester wear a breastplate of any sort?

Gotta be careful in the woods. Could be Owlbears, could be murderhobos.

Thats what a padded gambeson is for. Lighter, covers more, easier to repair on trail, more flexible, no noise. etc.

If its good enough to go boar hunting in, its good enough for you.

Also, why would you engage an owlbear or murderhobos at all? Stalk, harry and engage at a distance using surprise and terrain to your advantage.

You want fantasy plants?

Here's more fantasy plants than you could ever need, with some lore to boot, if you feel like spicing your act a bit.

has there ever been a reason for those stupid curly shoes? ive seen lots of costumes and art that has pointy or curled shoes and i cant think of a practical reason

Yes. You'll mostly notice them in areas of rough or broken terrain. Hilly woods, skree filled oblast, etc.

1: It keeps the toes from getting jammed into anything suck as snow, skree, rubble and roots.
2: It provides a layer of protection to the toes.
3: Easier to tie skis, snowshoes, ice skates etc to.

In medieval times, those ridiculous curly shoes were supposed to represent their wearer's Dick size. It sounds like I'm shitposting, but I'm serioua, historically, that's what they were used for.

Act a as a guide / Sherpa rather than a leader and you won't overshadow the players I guess.

Also it became a status symbol later on in England (source needed) where at some point only nobility was allowed to have pointy shoes.

So if you had pointy shoes you were the shit. It's like having Yeezy's.

What the fuck is a yeezy

It's expensive shoes man.

You are thinking of poulaines. Totally different kind of shoe. Notice these are the toe of the shoe, and the other one is the sole extended over the toe.

Some poulaines got so long, the toe would wrap back around the calf like a garter. These are soft fashion shoes though, not for hard wearing.

I want a pair of these now, seem pretty easy to make too.

Select one of them to become your forest bride, and plunder that booty.

>Also, why would a Forrester wear a breastplate of any sort?

Motherfucking goblins and orcs, son

Sometimes the goblins stalk and harry you.

Wirselkraut!

This sounds pretty awesome and you sound like you're being a top bloke for going along.

Like everyone has said keep some real survival gear on hand and separate from their costume stuff, some doughy kids can quite easily turn an ankle hiking. If you get the opportunity show them how to start a fire with a striking flint or give them some other genuine survival lessons, have a couple planned out that you can throw out when they look like the hike is getting tough for them so they can have a break while you explain good vs bad berries, how to find north etc.

Other than that just go with the GM's flow.

Don't get lost.

This. Familiarize yourself with the area. You'll look like a badass ranger if you know the area.

I would so a simple turnshoe first. Leather is expensive even at wholesale.

Well, ya'll obviously never been hunting in armour before.

And the sole of the shoe

Personal opinion regarding the steel.

(disclaimer, its been a long, long time since I larped)
I would have steel items sharp, for actual use. I would not under any circumstances, allow or have steel items available in any way blunted which could make them "safe" if you also have sharp items for survival. Dont even run the risk of them being mixed up, because you KNOW there's always one idiot who will pick something up.

If its steel, assume its always dangerous. Only padded/foam/latex/whatever items are out and available for larping gaming.

Minimises the risk of accidentally picking up a sharp, when there's a blunt around.

--

wear your costume for a bit before the event. two reasons for this - 1: fit and functionality. you need to know it fits you, and works. if you cant walk the distance in your gear or you find that a cloak constantly snags, or something, you're not going to be able to pull off the character being someone who can survive in the wilds. 2: practice - it should no longer be a "costume", but simply "clothes". you dont get dressed for work and say "I'm just putting on my costume". (unless you're bruce wayne). Same with this. you should get to be practiced, so you know where each item is, and how it works, seamlessly.