WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Generally, I enjoy the process of painting units up and having them look uniform. So it wouldn't need to be insanely detailed to satisfy me. I would rather have an army of guys like this, than an army of individually posed snowflakes. I like uniformity.

That's actually pretty clever. Saving for later.

>Generally, I enjoy the process of painting units up and having them look uniform. So it wouldn't need to be insanely detailed to satisfy me. I would rather have an army of guys like this, than an army of individually posed snowflakes. I like uniformity.

I get where yer comin' from, but here's da fing, boss: I don't think you'll get anyfing near acceptable quality by using DAS and resin to recast stormtroopers. Part of what makes the molds work is flexibility. This can range from the soft Velveeta-like consistency of Micro-Mark's "1-to-1" products, which reproduce detail nicely but tear easily, to the freaky stretchiness of Aluminlite High Strength 3, which may have serendipitously just become my new favourite.

Additionally, you should be warned that some kinds of modern synthetic clay will actually try to bond with Citadel's styrene, so you might have to be prepared to sacrifice your masters if you pick da wrong stuff.

Hopefully I can wrap up the people part of my big D&D project at the moment before I have to clear off the table for Christmas. After that it's down to the bases which I hate painting but oh well.

So a silicone mould would be the best option that will give any kind of reliable result?

>monitoring wip threads for a sign of the secret Santa I sent
>other mail sent same day farther away has arrived
>feeling a bit bad the gift isn't as extravagant as many posted

Oh Greensville user, I hope it wasn't lost, and I hope you like it.

For somethink like infantry, I think 2 part is your ONLY option, realistically. Press fitting 2 halves of the figure and then mating them just won't get results (and is probably a bigger hassle than just making a 2 part mold to begin with).

>So a silicone mould would be the best option that will give any kind of reliable result?

For something as detailed as a man-sized 28mm infantryman, with the kind of budget most people here on /WIP/ are dealing with, yes, I think so. For smaller pieces like insignia or equipment, you can sometimes get away with using Oyumaru or even greenstuff and press-mold them.

Do you have a good guide at hand for a total beginner?

Thanks for the advice anons. I'll have a better look into this then and I'll post results if/when I go through with it.

>Do you have a good guide at hand for a total beginner?

This is the one that floats around in here. I don't have much experience casting in resin, so you may actually find this more useful than I did.

I got most of my ideas from the clevva ladz at Hirst Arts: hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

thanks.

Repost from last night, see if I can finish today.

>wakemeupinside-cantwakeup.jpg

Have you read what happens when that hole in his chest closes again... Ouch...

No, i haven't. Story time!

An reason you didnt prime the rest of themodel? Or is it grey primer?

No, I havn't. I try to stay away from campaign spoilers for expansions I havn't done yet. Still running core at the moment. If it's not something crazy nutso spoilerific, story time indeed haha.

It's grey primer, and his base colour for the skin. I'm doing him as a grey/black dragon. The entire body is basically all based (horns, teeth, claws, etc.) I'm gonna wash him with nuln, do a drybrush, and then nuln down some areas into a gradient and deep shadow (like the feet and hands/forearms). Wing web is a lighter grey that I'm gonna use agrax on for a more fleshy tone.

Cool! Looking forward to the finished model, looks really promising so far.

I still want my story, but dont ruin it for Also to,hell with captcha showing me Reubens

During the fight you can inflict toughness penalties on the Dragon, representing damage to the protection over the face in his chest.
This makes him easier to damage, as he becomes easier to wound.

He however has an ability that can sometimes trigger off that damage that removes these tokens and restores his toughness to full.
When he does that he lets out a massive burst of radiation that hits literally every square to his front (like draw a line from his base to both sides of the board, everything before the line gets fried) and also hits all locations on his behind.

The effect of that attack is quite spectacular, and dangerous.

You take 1 damage multiplied by the level of the dragon for each token he removes. Then on top of that there's a 40% that you'll suffer a severe arm injury, a 40% chance to suffer a severe head injury, a 10% chance of being slapped halfway across the board and losing certain gear items and a 10% chance you'll remain unharmed

Put a gold ring on the middle-left finger and you'd have a great goatse mini.

I was going to say that, but i dont like showing my /b/sides to this board lol.

what model is that?

Working on a deathwing terminator i picked up. Still new to painting. Some c/c would be great.>> Inb4 thicc

Kingdom Death, Dragon King.

I know its a strange question, and I don't know if anyone could answer it, but would anyone know how to achieve the red on the right terminator in ? It looks amazing.

Secret Santa!

From Fort Worth user.

1. A Johnny of my very own!
2. Mrk IV Beakie
3. Sgt Aurelius
4. OOP Captain with Stormbolter
5. Geigor Fell Hand from BOP
3. Mk VI Beakie and possible Rogue Trader Beakie as well

Awesome! I had intended to maybe open this on Christmas day but I couldn't wait, thank you very much and I will go about gluing them all to their bases.

In fact... regarding Johnny, if anyone could paste the Marine Chapter /rolling chart I'll take a roll for what chapter he gets painted!

Thanks again!!

>once upon a time there was a man who made a master plan to save money building an army and buy all the cheap ass Space Marines lots he could find on eBay and scrub them instead of spending 5x the price on NIB
>one day he cleaned up his things into "must scrub" and "good to paint"
>he discovered over 100+ marines need scrubbing and disassembling, along with 5 dreadnoughts and 9 rhinos

Do I just toss everything in a vat of dettol and hope everything works out?

>Do I just toss everything in a vat of dettol and hope everything works out?

yes. Just seal the tub so the water in the dettol doesn't evaporate leaving you with sludge

ive left some ebey models and crappy painted ones in a container full of simple green for more than 5 months. maybe ill go check on them now.

I'd do it in batches

Painted my first alpha legion unit

Paint him as a Rainbow Warrior.

Would this not end up merging all the plastics into a Chaos spawn of Nurgle? Is there even a way to safely dispose of the sludge without clogging up my drain pipes or contaminating the environment?

Nice.

Why the red chain sword though? That looks very odd.

Dettol isn't strong enough to do that.

No.

Dettol won't clog pipes so it can go down the sink.

Finished version in a week!

Thank you, Sir.

Can I make a suggestion that you look at what we have painted in OP picture and go for a scheme not currently there?

We're missing a Yellow / Lighter Green / White / Split (half or quartered)

You could try that? Or roll or whatever, it's your Johnny.

>tfw no Johnny

Astral Claws it is.

Astral Claws

I never noticed the Celestial Lions shared the same emblem until now.

This is odd, I was going to ask this last thread:

Let's say I have a load of old plastic Marines on 25mm bases that I don't give a fuck about. Is Astral Claws the easiest paintjob you can think of? Spray silver, wash Nuln Oil, blue pads with gold rims.

Do you guys usually base first and then put the miniatures on or vice versa? I can see it being hard to place minis if you made the base but my stupid hands tend to get texture paint on the feet of my minis.

I bought myself a Mk3 armour set and Mk4 jump packs from chinaman to make some vanguard veterans for my jumpy marine army.

After buying them I realized they need to pack a little bit more punch to warrant the bigger cost over assault marines, so I decided to give some of the guys Storm Shields. But I didn't have the bits (gave all my marine shields away at a bits fair in exchange for heresy bits), so I took the Bullgryn buckler bit leftover from my IG and tadaaaaa

they're gonna have jump packs too, but I'm gonna prime them before gluing

Why is everyone obsessed with this "easiest paintjob" shit? Why be lazy when you can put effort into making your minis look decent?

SEND HELP

Rerolling from last time because Scythes of the Emperor are Ultrafags geneseed

Also because i need something to paint MKIII troopers in

Because some people don't have the time/patience/skill to sit down and spend hours on each mini. If they want a quick fix paint scheme in order to field a fully painted army then good for them.

I'd rather play a fully painted army that's been sprayed and washed instead of a sea of grey with 2 well painted minis.

>Pic related
my sprayed and washed space wolves

Damnit, so close to Dusk Raiders.

And more on the way

Dat Greatest Fett

I didnt think i could like you more. Also, what two colors on eyes again? White then bloodletter?

Everyone needs a Fett on their painting table!

thats right dude: white, bloodletter, white... piece of piss!

Anyone have any tips for making Sonic Blasters without buying the upgrade kits from geedubs?
I'm going to be starting an EC force soon since I got over Thousand Sons being shit for the nth time and Sisters not coming for another year.

>last online: 1 hour ago

I did this with my Dark Vengeance set and my first models. Got a summer job and left them for a couple months.

Shit came out pristine, except for red staining

Why he black, also thin paints

Sweet. Ive never tried Bloodletter.. but i got some mk3 armored troops and i like those eyes on them. Glad i remembered it.

And you're right. Everyone does, ive got an ex's painting of the fett man, and this little buddy

Forgot pic, oops.

Working on some tau

>funko pop

Its a damn Deathclaw, i dont care if ISIS manufactured it with backing from Trump and Martin Shrekli

What arms did you use for the shield?

So glad you shared this the other day haha, I used it on a glowy orb bit I did on another model, so good for that "white hot" glow effect. Thanks user.

What's the difference between the cheap craft store paints and the miniature paints like Citadel? Is it worth it to buy the Citadel stuff?

>What's the difference between the cheap craft store paints and the miniature paints like Citadel?
everything
> Is it worth it to buy the Citadel stuff?
value is subjective

theoretically, what would happen if I used antifreeze to thin my paints? there was a conversation a few threads ago about cats drinking acrylic paint water and how stupid they had to be to drink antifreeze, and since then I've been genuinely curious as to what the antifreeze would to to acrylic paints.

citadel is actual quality, at least for most of their paints. their tools are overpriced, but not the paints. when you get craft store shit, you're getting shit in a can, because its cheap.

The size of the pigments within the paint. In cheaper acrylics, the pigment isn't ground down to anywhere near as fine as those you'd find in model specific lines, such as Citadel and Vallejo. If you were to paint your plastic and metal dudes with cheaper paint, the end result will look grainy and lumpy. In the end, it's entirely up to you, but most would agree that it's worth investing more money into a better quality product.

WIP I need to know.
Is my Solitaire dressed pretty fair?

I like it, but I think he might be a little flat. Maybe add some highlights or do a shade wash? Is that even the right term, the only minis I've painted to now are robots and I've been scared of actually using my nuln oil on them.

You should add some highlighting to the black to bring definition to the model, but otherwise it looks solid. Interesting color combo.

Wash/ink wash is usually how folks refer to that technique. And give your robots some nuln oil love, they'll thank you. If you're really scared do it on a test model first.

that's my plan, my and my lady are having a paint party tomorrow because I bought her a bunch of Warmachine minis since she likes to hang out when I'm playing. figure I'll do a few mockups to figure out my full colour scheme and try Nulning the ones I don't 100% like.

What paints do you use for hair?

averland w/ nuln oil

user, MkIII is too heavy for jump packs.

Finally, someone said it. Leave it to the retarded recaster to not know it though. It's like he didn't even realize FW purposely makes jump packs for everyone but Mk III.

Whats the origin of johnnies? I remember back wen people were talking about recasting him but I didnt pay any attention

Thanks again to user for his advice.

How did you remove the details from the sarcophagus with the edge trim in the way? I want to make my Dreadnought with a blank coffin lid but the fucking trim gets in the way of me trying to sand or shave away the symbols. I was thinking maybe a chisel or some kind of small rotary sander.

How do people pain't khaki/tan cloth? Painting some scouts.

>Thanks again!!

Merry Christmas, Beckenham user!

>Whats the origin of johnnies?

Decades ago, Citadel released a set of Mk VI beekees sculpted by Aly Morrison and the Citadel Design Team. In very early advertisements, da Studio Ladz gave them all names, and they chose the cast of the Adam West Batman TV serial as their inspiration. There's a Brother (Adam) West, Brother (Burt) Ward, Brother (Burgess) Meredith, Captain (Cesar) Romero, Brother (Frank) Gorshin, etc. One of the models was named Brother Craig after Yvonne Craig, the actress that played Batgirl.

A few years later (c. 1990), Citadel published their Blue Catalogue. None of the old marines had fun names any more, just part numbers and descriptions: "Bolter 10", "Power Sword and Bolt Pistol", "Meltagun", etc. Brother Craig, however, was strangely absent; so, if he ever had a proper part number, we have no idea what it might have been.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when some clever user grabbed this picture of Brother Craig and applied the "Kill 'em All Johnny!" treatment to it. Brother Craig looks like he's having a conversation with his bolter magazine the same way Johnny from Ed Edd, and Eddy has with his wooden "friend", Plank.

Then it was all downhill from there ...

I got out as much as I could with clippers, then I did what I could with the knife, and lastly I filed as much as I could away with the tip of the file in some cases

Don't try a rotary sander, you'll melt pits in the plastic. You can get most of it with the clippers and what you can't get you can file off easily enough

I agree, or a space shark.

I've been thinking about the swamp bases I want to make for my Tau. I'm gonna make mud with watered down liquid green stuff like a guy at my FLGS recommended and I'm gonna use some realistic water to make it watery as fuck, but what else should I put on it? I was thinking some twigs to be horizontal tree roots sticking out of the water but what do you think?

Roots, reeds, logs, frogs, moss are all good swampy things.

Dude. I've wanted to do the exact same thing.
Tau in a swamp.

My plan was to use hollow bases (secret weapon miniatures sells those, but they're easy to make yourself) and fill them to a varying degree with vallejo still water. I figured if you put some green flock in it should look like duckweeds. I also got some cattails for H0 model trains to put on the bases.
I even sculpted some critters to spruce the bases up a little.

Whatever you do, post it, I'd love to see what you come up with.

I'm trying to convert flashgitz from nobs. Any way I could give them arms that hold a 2 handed gun? I suppose that ork boys hands are too small for that and I don't want to use combi-shootas hands that are in the box, I want to make my own crazy two handed guns from random bitz I got recently.

Pic is not mine, but I badly wish it was mine) What gun did he use by the way?

Cyprus knots. Long, thin strands of algae that dont loop, but bow around sticks, knots, or even legs submerged. I grew up on the edge of marshland/swampland, and those were always gross. Also, algae splotches on top of Brown water, with thick bubbles. Large logs are really common, cuz swamp trees dont really break down that fast. And youd also be surprised how well a nice, perfect patch of hard earth with grass fits, we used to fish on them. You could pjt your larger model's feet on some.

Finished my dragon king, wew, 3 days of work, dunno what to paint next :/

That's badass.
So where is it from, I'd like to read up on what its story is.

Kingdom Death mate. Go search up lorez.
"The Dragon King's species is long dead. It remains alone, clinging to the memories of its once mighty race. Its destructive moods swing wildly from impotent rage to obsessive nostalgia. It stalks the darkness, lashing out at anything it meets. Survivors that run across the moody monster usually fall prey to the unseen waves of ruinous pain that emanate from the monster's glowing heart. Those survivors lucky enough to drive off the monster will be amply rewarded with a trove of new armaments crafted from the abandoned husk of the monster's body."