EDH/Commander General

Oops All Creatures edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

landdestruction.com/grenzo-doomsday/,
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/r-i-p-t-i-d-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-king-of-flickers-brago/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/literally-just-creatures/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/froggy-went-a-comboing/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So what would be the best commander for a zombie deck?

Gisa and Geralf, probably

gisa and geralf aren't that strong

if you want to make a zombie deck that actually wins a lot, i'd probably do some golgari bullshit with mazirek or something. zombie creatures themselves aren't really strong enough for EDH. the best thing about zombies are the fact that you can make a ton of zombie tokens quite easily with grave titan, overseer of the damned, under the floorboards, and so on. and by splashing green, you get a lot of support for token strategies and alpha strikes.

Well I mostly wanted to do a black/maybe other color deck with a lot of sacrifice/double edge mechanic.Is there a good commander for that?

A DOUBLE EDGE, YOU SAY

Sultai Sidisi is pretty good as well. Was one deck I used to play against that was really solid.

Alright fuck it I'm ordering the rest of the goddamn artifact deck, AND the fucking spellslinger deck that I have most of the parts for. Merry Christmas to me

usually, you only sac stuff as a means to an end. sac a creature to cast victimize, sac a creature to protect it from mind control, sac your board to prep yourself for a living death cast and so on. otherwise, saccing synergies are pretty weak if you don't build green. black gets grave pact effects and a bit of fluff like blood artist stuff, but that's about it.

mazirek and green in general are the best for saccing tons of tokens just for fun

Blue gives you access to rooftop storm though, as well as havengul lich and lich lord of unx. Sultai with Sidisi or Mimeoplasm would probably be the best of all worlds though I think the consistency and speed of monoblack with Liliana heretical healer or Sidisi undead vizier is worth looking at.

I've been thinking about doing Dralnu with lots of instant/sorcery zombie token makers.

Counter, bounce and kill your way into a massive Rise from the Tides and Army of the Damned

Then fold to a boardwipe

literally can't cast this guy without a sac outlet out lmao

Or a Magebane Armor to equip

oh actually there is a reason to sac tokens in monoblack: force discard effects. sadistic hypnotist and friends, etc.

I've been running a Grenzo list for DC similar to landdestruction.com/grenzo-doomsday/, tweaked a bit, and have been noticing control matchups are a real struggle without spells that are must answers without being part of the main combo. Examples are Liliana of the Veil, and Necropotence, but I don't have any more cards to add.
Any recommendations for haymaker spells under 6 mana?

How degenerate/fun is this?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/r-i-p-t-i-d-e/

Sorry for not responding, I left to work out right after I made that post. It was Ghoulcaller Gisa.

My gf says I can't play Scion anymore because I just do the same thing every game.

What's a good non-linear commander that I can sell all these gay-ass dragons and invest into?

Just made a Brago deck. Tell me what you guys think. Any particular win cons I should be including?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-king-of-flickers-brago/

Do Ghave goodstuff/pillow fort.

Oops all creature Animar, coming up again.

I'm still on the fence about the Primal Surge. It kinda cheapens the whole "only creatures" theme by you know, not being a creature.
That said, Primal Surge is perfect in a 99 permanent deck, and it's a japanese foil so it looks really cool, and also has the added benefit of really confusing people who don't know what the card does (It puts your ENTIRE deck into play?).

Currently I have slotted it out for a Stunt Double.

count the number of tutors in whatevers decks you're looking at and go off of those golf score style.

You should run platinum angel so you can actually flip your deck over and not lose

I get that you can stop whenever you want but it seems more stylish if you're running 99 permanents and primal surge to be able to just flip the deck over

Was it a mistake to make 4-color Commanders?

No because 4color is under represented. Plus the precons are better than what in were last years

>not lose

Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar and Sages of the Anima both replace draw triggers, I don't need Platinum Angel.

or labman works

> selling dragons

Don't really need lab when putting my entire deck into play deals a few thousand damage through noncombat triggers.

>ctrl-f Ancestral Statue
No results found

Might be because it's a .jpg but you should run it irregardless

I try to avoid super simple infinite combos, same reason I don't run Palinchron, Dead-Eye Navigator and Temur Sabertooth. It just feels cheap.

Oh my bad, didn't even consider those guys, so you all already have the stuff

What's the best discard archtype general that isn't Nath?

is Yidris Eldrazi triba fun?

Nicol Bolas?

You're running Animar, you're gonna get the hate anyways. Might at as well go all in

Was hoping to stick with two colors. His damage trigger is spicy tho.

Might do Malfegor.

>Create the partner mechanic
>Print a bunch of known characters who logically would never work with anybody
>And then a fuckton of nobodies

>Don't print an alternate Agrus Kos and a Feather, both with partner
I will never understand what goes on in Wizards' minds

Posting my favorite creature-heavy deck that I'm building right now. Yes it's exactly who you expect it is.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/literally-just-creatures/

not two colors, but Cao Cao, lord of Wei is good.

I'd do Malfegor or Lazav desu

Was considering doing Lazav for a Dimir clone tribal, but decided to do faerie tribal with Oona instead.

I just took apart Rakdos for parts, will probably go ahead with Malfegor.

Anyone have some ideas for solid decks that aren't too expensive and don't have to rely on infinites to win?

I want to do something in Naya, possibly Gruul colors.

Xenagos or Ruric Thar are good and competitive Gruul Generals that usually win through turning creatures sideways and just winning. If thats not your thing though than Borborygmos Enraged is a interesting general basically you pick up your deck and through it at the enemy by discarding lands with your general. The key is to run crucible and loam to keep throwing your lands at people.

Maelstrom Wanderer can be fairly cheap.

the key is to run Storm Cauldron, tap all your lands, throw them at one guy, sacrifice the rest to Zuran Orb, return them to your hand with creeping rennaisance, throw them at another guy, flashback creeping rennaisance to return all the lands again, then throw them at the last guy.

For some reason people don't expect me to activate Borborygmos' ability over 60 times in one turn.

Creeping Renaissance*

What's a good build for someone who just got the Yidris precon and is on a tight budget?

Even among the other 4 color precons, the Yidris precon is just stuffed full of good stuff and left kinda wide open. There's a lot of directions you could go with it.

There's a ton of Wheel of Fortune-esque effects, so you could go full Nekusar.
Yidris himself is an insane value engine that can get you lots of free ramp off of all your spells if you wanna go big, or you can exploit the nature of Cascade to make him a pretty bonkers Storm commander.
Or you could really nix any of the colors and find a really solid 3-color commander to build around with all the goodies the deck gives you.

The sky is kinda your limit here. The 4 color precons are fantastic products, honestly. They're playable out of the box, but give you so much good shit that you have room to really do whatever you want.

I personally turned my Yidris precon into a wacky "Cascade Tribal" deck, with the idea being to cascade like 6 times per turn. It's pretty fun.

Get cards that can be cast at a lower cost than their CMC, or that untap lands.

>Peregrine Drake
>Frantic Search
>Murderous Cut
>Treasure Cruise
>Mulldrifter
>Fury of the Horde

Get better mana fixing

>Kodama's Reach
>Cultivate
>Sakura-Tribe Elder
>Chromatic Lantern

Double strike/extra combat enablers

>Blood Mist
>Fire Shrieker

And these are some random fun cards I like in my budgety yidris
>Notion Theif
>Bring to Light
>Temur Ascendancy
>Mind's Desire

What about wort and angry omanth? They can do some pretty ridiculous damage.

I have gone all these years a never made a single EDH deck with White in it. I just have all these accumulated White staples sitting here with nowhere to go.

What's a fun and/or unique W* commander? Any combination of colors + White would be fine.

fuck youre making me want to build borb for the first time

>5 mana for a 4/5 with no evasion
>tap out for an enchantment for heroic trigger
>your 2/2s (which only last until EoT) are tapped
>any removal now strip mines you
fuck no matter what you do she is just awful. she is a worse noyan dar and that is saying something.

>up to

still not great, though

What is a comander in this game?

Why not just Titania?

I'm building borb enraged next I think, ive been on edge forever, just going to pull the trigger now

Don't talk shit about Noyan Dar. Darksteel Citadel and Inkmoth Nexus are technically things. Is he top tier? No, not really. Is he awful? Nah, wouldn't say so.

Telepathy effects nebu is the funnest imo

>built shitty flip avacyn to test it out
>playing with Brago, Mazirek and Rakdos, Lord of Riots
>durdle until brago swings at me
>cast some shitty fog and prevent the damage
>brago can't flicker, and is tapped
>I pass my turn
>rakdos starts grinning like a madman, swings at brago for a 4 damage
>casts rakdos
>I flash in avacyn, skull clamp a token, flip the thing
>he plays nulamog and desolation twin for free
>exiles two of brago's lands
>mazirek plays pops grimmore of the dead on his turn, reanimating brago's fuckhuge graveyard
>brago, looking depressed, draws, plays a land, casts brago again, and passes
>I cast Elesh Norn
>brago scoops
>rakdos swings at me with the desolation twins, hits Mazirek with Newlamog
>play another shitty prevent damage card
>mazirek looks visibly shaken as he begins exiling cards
>swings at tapped out rakdos with brago's stuff
>On my turn I play odric 2.0 and boros charm
>rakdos scoops
>mazirek scoops
>brago starts bitching about how my strategy is so cheap

Or a counterspell? Jesus fuck do you even know how to blue?

Few questions for any Kraj player reading this.

1) How many combos do you run? What cards are "traps" in terms of "only good with a combo otherwise useless".
2) How much mana accel do you have on creatures with tao abiilities? How many in just good stuff (Urban Evolution, Cultivate, etc) I'm asking because I feel like my Kraj deck falls apart if my mana dorks get board wiped and I want to only use the essential ones that are part of a combo (Kydele, Argothian Elder, etc)
2b) Same question but with card draw.

If you have a list, do show me. I'm in the middle of trying to fine-tune this guy. So much that I want to put in my only copy of Force of Will in it.

Is Rubinia really that bad as the commander of the bant deck

>>I flash in avacyn, skull clamp a token, flip the thing
>flash in
>skullclamp equips at instant speed

JUDGE

Also if you flicker dungeon geists does it tap a second creature and continue to affect the first?

If Brago scoops, then all cards he owns leave the game with him. Mazirek shouldn't have been able to swing with those reanimated creatures.

Leonin Shikari

Ok Veeky Forums I need thoughts on this deck; I know we don't usually take kindly to 1k+ decks but I can't help the fact I have most of the dual lands + other legacy staples on hand. My playgroup is mostly legacyfags anyways.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/froggy-went-a-comboing/

>I know we don't usually take kindly to 1k+ decks
That's only 2 or 3 sour grape losers.

Deck looks fine as is, there's a couple pet cards in Black that I always try to include: Leyline of the Void, Sudden Spoiling, Reanimate. I don't see anything glaringly missing.

Manabond?

Works great with Titania and a sacrifice source

>2 or 3 sour grape losers
Oh, well that's a relief. I always get a little nervous posting lists in these threads. Reanimate actually seems like it could work out nicely, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks user.
Now that's a spicy meatball.

Where the fuck is zada.

It taps a second creature but does not continue to effect the first, because the ability is tied to that specific dungeon Geists, and when you flicker it, it becomes a new dungeon geists

If you needed a source of tokens.

The choices for these characters were really crazy. I don't necessarily mind that they didn't limit it to characters that had/wold have a partnership with somebody since that wold really hamstring them on characters, but they really messed up with all the literally whos. They totally missed the cool part of C14. I just hope that if they get negative feedback they don't interpret it to mean the "make old characters into cards" thing has run its course.

Also, they tapped into way too recent history. Did anyone REALLY give a shit about Reyhan or Akiri? There are so many characters many people love and we get stuff like them or Ishai who was already represented on a card that if I'm being completely honest almost feels better than the Ishai we even got.

I wanna brew this fucker, any tips?

Scroll Rack will be your best buddy forever and ever.

Does that mean i get any artifact for free? Hut damn

>commander damage isn't shared by partners
Not even doing it. I know it doesn't seem fair if they swing together, but still

Does anybody even really like commander damage as a rule though?

FUCK YOU

t. Boros Legion

It means you can get a new hand each turn.

>pitch the cards you don't like to Scroll Rack
>play an artifact, commander's ability makes you shuffle the old cards into your deck
>repeat

So if Lightning Bolt is the last card in my hand I'm casting it for double damage?

Good morning /EDHg/
I've only recently started playing Magic again after a few years, and I wanted to start back to make a mono-black vampire deck not red-black because I wasn't playing when they released the cluster with all those vampires, while I have already quite a few Zendikar vampires
Who would be the best commander, and which are the stable cards of a deck? Or do you think I should really go for the bicolored deck?

you have 1 card in hand
you cast lightning bolt from your hand and it is placed on the stack
you have 0 cards in hand
lightning bolt goes to resolve and should deal double damage

So I could put Derevi on the field for four, and then later cast it a first time for three?

... Anowan the Ruin Sage seems dece' I guess? I mean your options if you're going for monoblack are pretty limited. Either version of Drana and Kalitas seem good. If it were me I would go for that sweet, sweet old-school swag and use Baron Sengir.

Post your favorite demons. Here's mine, I don't care if it has a good chance to wiff or that it has no evasion I love this guy. Now to only find a deck I can stick him in...

Yes. Using Derevi's ability to put him directly into play doens't tick up the counter for how many times you've played your commander.

This.

JUDGE

>no evasion
>got ninjutsu

My first version of kraj ran lots of dorks and cultivate n friends. What I found was I got flooded with not enough draw, and way too much mana. The dorks never survived long, and were constant dead draws, took most, if not all other than gyre sage out.

1) As far as combos go:
Phyrexian devourer + triskelion/jodahs avenger

March of the machines / titanias song+ any "permanent is now an artifact in edition to its other types" + kraj

Pretty much all the combos I have that I can think of. The deck isn't hyper competitive, obviously, but I have a great time playing it.
2) like I said, most creature mana accelerants are taken out, left the goodstuff in like kodamas reach and cultivate.
2b) alternatively, I put in a shitload of card draw. Arcanis and prime speaker zegana are amazing, same with fathom mage.

Your biggest concern should be board wipes, as kraj wants to have a huge, writhing boardstate that works off of each other and makes kraj a god being that can one shot people with 21 commander unblockable,while having access to activated abilities that protect him.

All of my removal are polymorph effects, and it's a blast to run. I don't have a list, sorry

After the first ninjutsu it's gonna be hard making him connect if you don't give him evasion firt tho, I think that's what he meant.

Hot damn. Good info, user, thanks. I never thought about doing the March/Titania/Mycosynth Lattice route but it is a killer. Might have to add that in.

I was thinking about just cutting all forms of infinite mana combos since Kraj himself doesnt really benefit from it. It'd be one thing if he had a built in mana sink like Tasigur or Thrasios but, like you said, the necessary pieces just become dead draws. It does mean that I won't be able to cheese kill with Knacksaw Clique, though.

secret tech for pic related?
want stuff that'll make people shit themselves when i flip it over and they have to read the card because it doesn't say "take an extra turn" or "additional combat phase"

Dimensional Breach. Screw their board, get Narset first, and come out ahead over time.