MTG LEGACY GENERAL

NO RULES JUST RIGHT EDITION

Writing prompt: How do you choose what deck to play when you go to a tournament, particularly if you actually have more than 1 deck?

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells
>Tin Fins

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moon-less Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GadqHggATe8
magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-duels
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy/full
mtgtop8.com/golden_deck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For me? I just use my tried and true miracles. Skill in legacy directly connects to knowledge of your own deck and it's Matchups

I'm like you. pretty much only ever played DDFT, so whenever I think about playing anything else I usually end up deciding on DDFT due to experience. Sometimes i play other crap for the jokes though.

I like to play the meta call. I've only really gone to locals, so if I feel like not many are running blue, I do Belcher. If I feel like it's not combo heavy, I go burn, and if it's unknown or been a while, Dredge is my choice.

Been looking at making UW Bomberman for legacy, with 4x tops 3x counter-balance. What do you guys think of running salvagers as a win-con instead of terminus + angels / mentor?

Oh yeah like I'd totally take something janky like SI to a GP trial and other small things but not much else

Sounds legit, post list. It sounds like to might not he as effective though

I always bring what I'm on fire with that day. In this case it's always Burn and sometimes Dredge. Tfw poorfag

How effective is waiting until no one has played Dredge for a while and then randomly busting it out at your locals?

It's great. Especially if you 'board in Force of Will.

I tend to just play Storm whatever the consequences, but occasionally I feel like it's good to mix it up. Played Dredge last time there was a tournament, and as I said before, it was great.

I find that switching decks can be difficult if one's in a small metagame. If you don't have a lot of chances to practice, you get rusty if you leave a deck on the back burner for too long.

I'm not up to date with Dredge builds, it seems like the deck hasn't been putting up any results lately.

Is the FoW build still Whirlpool Rider or do people just use Prized Amalgams for it now?

I'm running Force in the sideboard for LED Dredge. So quads of all the staples (Ichorid, Breakthrough, Faithless Looting, etc.), but 2x Amalgam, 1x Dread Return, 1x Griselbrand in the main. I personally prefer 1x City of Brass and 3x Gemstone Mine over 4x Gemstone Mine. It's hedging a bit.

Manaless has run quad-Force in the side for some time, but it's very different in how it's put together. There are separate primers you can dig up on The Source (linked in OP).

Uh I'm a new MTG player what is legacy?

Hey Veeky Forums I'm moving up from modern and was curious what decks I should check out, I've been playing Living End, Suicide Zoo, and Naya Burn, what would you guys recommend?

Delver (4c, Grixis, or UR) or Infect, maybe dredge if you like graveyards/fringe decks

Dredge does a similar thing to Living End. Legacy Burn is almost exclusively red, but is similar in a lot of ways to the Modern version. There's not really an analogue for Suicide Zoo; Jund and Shardless BUG are value decks, but nothing in Legacy is really a balls-out aggro deck of the kind you see in Modern.

Awesome cards and crucial plays. Check it out.

what?

In MTG there are different formats, where each format is basically "what cards are allowed". In order, they basically go like this

Vintage (Almost every single card ever printed is allowed, with a few bans and restrictions)
Legacy (Similar to vintage, but with more banned cards to allow more people access to the format, since you don't need $10000 for a deck)
Modern (Allows most cards printed since 8th edition, which released in 2003, meaning you don't have access to a lot of the truly broken older cards)
Standard (Allows for cards from roughly the past year to be used)
Limited (Draft or Sealed, basically you create a deck on the fly by using booster packs given to you)

There are other ways to play magic, but the ones I listed are the major ones. This is legacy, so you've got a lot of very powerful cards to use. If you're interested, stick around, but if you're looking for more of what you're actually playing with, you'll want to check out the standard thread.

Ah well thanks for the info.Now I just need to learn the rules and mechanics haha.

youtube.com/watch?v=GadqHggATe8 is probably a good place to start. Once you've got the basics down, learn the stack and priority. They're essential but surprisingly few people understand them. Anyway, it's a great game. Have fun!

Thankyou nice user.

I only have infect. I mean I also have BR Reanimator, but I don't consider it a real deck. Just something to shut my brain off and play if I'm bored.

Guys I need a hand, I want to put together a ___-blade deck and need help deciding between one of the two strictly worse ones. Do I go Junk boring blade, or Bant blade? I don't want to play esper Stoneblade or Deathblade and don't want death and taxes.

Does anyone here have any expirence with either list?

So basically trading early turn combo to more reliable later turn dredging?

LED Dredge is faster than Manaless; if you have Lion's Eye Diamonds, you want to go with LED Dredge.

Manaless came about back when Mental Misstep was legal in Legacy because it's really hard to interact with a deck that doesn't function by actually casting spells (LED Dredge has a lot of 1-cmc spells to accelerate its game, but Manaless essentially functions without casting spells, except ones that can get countered without causing a problem, like Cabal Therapy). The problem is that you have to pass your first turn in order to discard a card to start dredging, so you have to throw your first turn and you can never mulligan. You're also extremely vulnerable to targeted discard and graveyard hate, because a discard on one of your non-dredgers usually means you get Time Walked, and you don't have the means to stop something like an opening Leyline of the Void or a Grafdigger's Cage.

I think Manaless is in a reasonably good position right now because it also shrugs off Chalice of the Void. With that said, I think just going for speed and jamming it with LEDs is still a better strategy.

The builds are substantially different, but you can probably find decklists and primers for each.

These are the closest ports of those decks that I can think of:

For Living End, one feel that uses the same Cascade mechanic with is Hypergenesis. It looks to go off turn 1 by dropping bigger and more fatties than your opponent when cascading into the namesake Hypergenesis. There's no direct port of Suicide Zoo, but people have mentioned 4c Delver and I agree that it is similar. Burn in Legacy is pretty much Burn in Modern with Chain Lightning and Fireblast. Very fun to play.

Is there a good way to play online?

MTGO if you feel like paying for virtual cardboard, XMage if you want to play for free with strangers, Cockatrice if you want to play for free with friends.

Thank you user.

So as a new player I'd like to ask how's the pacing for this game are the turns dragged out doing a lot of moves or there's some progression as the game goes I assume it's the latter but I might now bet aware of some mechanics that speed up the game.Also asking because I have nobody to play with and I'm bored.

Depends on the deck I guess. Most of my turns go pretty quick, except sometimes I spend a couple minutes on a combo turn if I'm improvising or casting 15 spells. Some decks, lime miracles, can take a long time doing one thing, like resolving a brainstorm, especially if they're not well practiced with the deck. Tournaments have rules in place that discourage slow play, however, so people shouldn't take too long doing a bunch of nothing

You sound really new, like "I don't even own cards yet" new. This is a dangerous rabbit hole to peer Into, and this thread is for players who have been playing for decades or seriously spend 4 digits building a deck. Not to discourage you.
If you're looking for where to begin, try the Duels app
magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-duels
it's forever patient, unlike a real player, and an EXCELLENT teaching tool. You're welcome to hang out regardless.

I got a hand me down collection from my uncle so i just got curious about the game and i'm trying to learn by my self.

xmage is bretty funny

what the fuck

The problem is they're playing edh.

>this thread is for players who have been playing for decades or seriously spend 4 digits building a deck.

No it isn't. At all. You're clearly misguided and looking for some faggot thread. There is little to no learning curve in most formats. Magic is just math and nothing more.

Find a deck you like in the tiers
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy/full

download the list and play it on Xmage for free. By mastering one deck, it lets you learn all the others you play against, and thus the format. You learn through experience - not through some idiotic Sisyphus-like masochistic grinding gauntlet. There is no "paying dues" in magic, only social retards think that way, ignore them. Nobody whose smashing leagues is posting here, anyone who tries to act elitist just ignore them like you would the smelly guy at FNM.

FORBIDDEN PLAYERS: Reanimator Guy

FORBIDDEN PLAYERS: DDFT

u are now forbidden from playing on Xmage gg

>Magic is just math and nothing more.

As someone who's had to win games by making an opponent with a stacked hand counter the wrong spell, I can't agree with that.

Math is pretty important, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I understand you want it to be more than it is.

Stay chill, f a m. I think the person you angrily replied at was trying to convey the potential cost barrier to owning a paper legacy deck and just missed the mark a little.

I do think xmage is a good way to get into the format. Just gotta be aware you may encounter people like the one here

I just wrote a long autistic rant, re-read it and deleted it because I used to do competitive edh when I was in college. I like beer and pretzels edh but competitive is where the real 'tism starts flowing and games devolve into non-interactive 20 minute turns.

I play edh too sometimes. But only with 4 other people who I know i'll have a good time with. Tell everyone else I don't play edh.

Oh no it's fine I encounter those often in other games it's fun watching them rave and rant about nothing. Btw thanks for the advice.

You decide how fast/interactive your deck is. If your opponent plays combo like storm/ddft/oops then you arnt looking at a long game but there will be a long turn. In some cases (especially with oops all spells) you are around 2/3 odds to watch them play solitaire for 5 minutes before winning G1T1. Other decks like reanimator and sneaknshow are looking to get a huge creature in early to overpower you before you can respond.

"Fair" decks are decks that are trying to win through value and synergies, stuff like stoneblade, nic fit and delver. Fair is in quotations because if you're new to legacy some of them don't feel fair. Your first game trapped under countertop or mind sculptor will show you what I mean.

Personally I think fair deck matchups are the most fun games of magic I've ever had, but fun is subjective. DDFT players and TES players are more likely to enjoy outsmarting an opponent's deck for a quick win, while dredge players are most likely just taking a break from their other hobbies [Spoiler]Eugenics and clubbing seals[/Spoiler]

You decide how fast/interactive your deck is. If your opponent plays combo like storm/ddft/oops then you arnt looking at a long game but there will be a long turn. In some cases (especially with oops all spells) you are around 2/3 odds to watch them play solitaire for 5 minutes before winning G1T1. Other decks like reanimator and sneaknshow are looking to get a huge creature in early to overpower you before you can respond.

"Fair" decks are decks that are trying to win through value and synergies, stuff like stoneblade, nic fit and delver. Fair is in quotations because if you're new to legacy some of them don't feel fair. Your first game trapped under countertop or mind sculptor will show you what I mean.

Personally I think fair deck matchups are the most fun games of magic I've ever had, but fun is subjective. DDFT players and TES players are more likely to enjoy outsmarting an opponent's deck for a quick win, while dredge players are most likely just taking a break from their other hobbies Eugenics and clubbing seals

>tfw filthy Narset and Elfball player building Skithiryx Infect
And I always wonder why no one plays with me...

DDFT players are more likely to enjoy casting doomsday, thinking for 5 minutes, then scooping

i would never harm such a noble creature

>Just gotta be aware you may encounter people like the one here
host your own matches

Have you already accepted the chinamen overlords as the saviors of legacy and vintage?

Yes, when they git gud.

I like Dredge because drawing cards is fun and when you play dredge you draw like 5-30 cards a turn.

Reminder to vote:
mtgtop8.com/golden_deck

Why do we still use the trips? It doesn't help all that much.

Anything good?

Bluffing is math now?

>Inb4 explanation that could be used to reduce anything and everything down to math

So how do you think MUD fares in this meta?

Used to play stoneblade, then jeskai delver. Now this.
>Shameless pic related (from old thread)

you can bluff while knowing the odds, or not

for some reason it's the quants and rainmen whose bluffs pay off more, what a shocker

I don't understand what possessed wizards to print colorless, hyper-efficient threats that are guaranteed 2-for-1s in a tribe that has TWO additional sol-lands

>>from Stoneblade to Delver to Eldrazi
It's like falling into a deeper layer of hell each time.

$$$$$

Also, lack of orginality I assume

I will switch between Oops and D&T, oops when I think there are a lot of nonblue decks and D&T ehen there are a lot of blue decks. I had finally completed D&T and was going to a small IQ to test it out as Legacy events are only once a month unless you drive a few hours out of state (RI for those curious) and I had both decks with me and the clammer in the room was a lot of eldrazi, lands, storm and jund... so I just played oops and played with myself for 6 hours. Drew like hot garbage all day but I think I made the right call despite D&T having a good match up against all those decks too I M H O F A M.

To further discussion: Which cards do you think could/should see more legacy play? I think Jace VP and Narset Transcendant are both really good but don't have homes in decks. VP is almost always a 2 mana walker and Narset's minus is really good but her ult is amazing against miracles, sometimes they cannot win.

Not that I can tell but that's probably because I don't know how effective the effects are.
Maybe the 2 eldrazi I saw while checking through are good didn't read the effect though they seem expensive to play lol.

Strictly worse than eldrazi but arguably better than 12 post, though if miracles keeps winning like it does then 12 post will be well positioned. 12 has a really good matchup against mircales, one of the only decks to do so. I also think D&T and Lands have skill match ups against miracles (though counter top float a 2 can be devastating for lands g1).

Is there a deck in this format that focuses or uses knights? I just really like knights haha.

>narset starts with 6 loyalty, can minus 3 times in a row for value or can tick up to an incredibly oppressive ultimate against certain decks

i'm also surprised she isn't seeing play in eternal formats

I think Knight of the Reliquary is the most prominent Knight in Legacy, but if you're specifically looking for Knight tribal, I know of no such deck.

Soldier Stompy does exist though.

I think baby jace is really sweet, however I just don't think his ultimate is good enough (for legacy) for how much investment it takes to get up to. And playing him means your JSMs become worse, if you play him that is. DTT and cruise were still around I could see him in a bunch of decks

The problem is she competes with JTMS and now Gideon and those guys are just too good on their own.
I think criteria for good planeswalkers in legacy are:
1. 4 cmc or less
2. Lives through bolt
3. Effects the board/game immediately in a major way. Jace gets to brainstorm or fateseal and Gideon gets a 2/2 or an anthem.
Though competition at the 4cmc slot of decks.

Jace has seen play in reanimator to a moderate amount of success, but I think he is too vulnerable in his creature form to be that great in fair decks. Narset is just bad, I would just rather have jtms. If you want to minus her, you need 4 to cast AND the mana to cast your instant/sorcery. Plus, what great spells are you playing that it is worth tacking on a 4 mana rebound?

We'll I imagine the decks that want to play Gideon don't want to play narset anyway, but narset does just seem like a worse jace in the decks that might want that

I think Lim-Dul's Vault is amazing, been playing a singleton copy and it's great. Recently cast it EoT vs ANT to find a pile with Chalice and Force, g2 cast it again to find a trinisphere.

I think some stoneblade lists could run both/either. Gideon with jitte or a swordis great but also brainstorming or pondering twice is pretty good too.

Post the eldrazi. We can tell you.

>Hahah
Yep :^)

This big guy.

and this guy.

Sneak and show just turn that ulamog into grizzly dad and yer golden

What?

Theyre basically ways to cheat those two in for way less than their printed cost. Its good youve got two of the titans, especially Emmy-chan. Shes a staple finisher in a number of decks.

Oh ok,yeah makes sense there are ways to speed up how to get them out.

Yeah, or you know you could brainstorm every turn with jace...

Or we could rebound show and tell!

That doesn't mean that all of Magic is math. You're also assuming that it's the bluffing that benefits from their facility with numbers rather than their decision to keep an opener or how they cantrip.

Sure, math is a huge portion of the game—probably the majority of it—but that's not all there is to it.

Why didn't you just win off the first show and tell?

Two spells are obviously better than one you nerd. Its basic math.

I live is a wacky fantasy world where I see full potential. This is why I like stifle dreadnaught and oops all spells

> exile target player

Player exiles himself

To add on, you can
>Sneak attack for quick hits,
>Vesuva/Cloudpost/all The other locuses to hard cast them
>High tide? But high tide has better things to do with it's mana.

>>High tide? But high tide has better things to do with it's mana.
Like what?

like winning?

psh wining who thinks about that amirite?

Durdleing always takes priority

>or do people just use Prized Amalgams for it now?

I'm building pitch Dredge with Amalgams. It's much more consistent

been playing 1 ldv in tin fins, can confirm it's great
game 1 it sets up turn 3 kill really well
postboard it finds anti-hate
mid-combo it imprints onto mox for two colors

I've actually been considering trying one in DDFT, probably in place of a burning wish.

Have you tried silence

gifts loam knightfall? Possible?