Miniatures

What are some good cheap miniatures for D&D and other grid games?

Also what do you use for large hordes of mooks, I've been thinking bingo or poker chips?

Other urls found in this thread:

printableheroes.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I usually use those small glass beads you can buy in large quantity in craft stores for my horde fights. as for miniatures the cheapest I know of are reaper minis.

I've found some decent Ebay lots that let you pick a certain amount of points worth of minis.

If you don't mind off brand, you might check estate sales, garage sales, and thrift/antique stores. I've seen some there.

As far as large hordes, I usually get a box of small d6's. That way if it's big enough, one die can represent six mooks, or start representing health.

I do feel that the miniatures are too expensive.

Where do people just randomly find estate sales? I've never seen one.

You want cheap? Go 15mm.

There are websites to search for them.

estatesales.net
There you go, famalamadingdongawombamboo. Most are trash, but you only need to find one good one to really make out like a bandit.

1:72 aka 20mm is another good scale. Lots of great historical figures. A few companies make fantasy figures too.

Reaper bones is what I use, quite cheap, decent quality, and good practice material should you decide to enter the mini painting hobby

Like another user posted on here Bones are pretty good, especially if you want to get into painting cheap. I just started off buying a few minis at a time. Make sure your PCs are covered first, then buy a few monsters you think you'll be using.

Occasionally you can buy some vintage Ral Partha minis for pretty cheap, Reaper are detailed for what you're getting, you can find big lots of heroclix or the old Warcraft minis fairly cheap but the bases are large.
When you look, be sure to check other games like warhammer fantasy and confrontation.

I tend to just make my own with paper, a pencil, card and a bit of glue. They don't last forever, which can be a bit of a shame, but I find it's nice to draw up a bunch of cartoon-y little figures for each encounter I'm planning. They're quick to make, help remind me what's in what encounter, and my players seemed to appreciate the little bit of extra effort to make the things they're fighting look a bit unique.

I do little watercolour sketches and portraits for each npc I show off to them since I don't always have a mini that fits. these are really cute!

This old boardgame offers a nice starting point. The D&D adventure games and reaper are good cheap sources as well

That sounds like a really nice idea, and plus, you can put them in a notebook afterwards, and have a little campaign book as a memento after it's all done. I've a huge soft spot for handouts and things to show players.

I use 1 inch heavy washers for tokens. I find a relevant picture from wherever (Veeky Forums, my hard drive, the internet), use paint to create a proper sized token portrait, then use double sided tape to attach it.

Pic related.

printableheroes.tumblr.com/
kinda relevant, this tumblr has a ton of printouts made to be used as miniatures

I use those wooden math blocks. I sprayeed em all white, made a bunch with one coloured face for PCs, a bunch of black with red markings for enemies, and a bunch green with white markings for allied mobs.

Mantic, Avatar of war, warlord (the old WGF fantasy range) usually go for under 1€ per mini.

That is some minimalistic shit right there

I have this one box at my parent's house, how are the minis again ?

We do this but with 2p coins, cheaper than washers I found and have a really nice look and feel.

Glue stick keeps the paper on fine but player characters get a "plastic laminate" (sellotape and a lighter, very ghetto) to stand out and last longer.

Not very detailed but good enough.

I pretty much do this but with legos. The play mat is easy erase marker too so I use that to make rooms and terrain

It's not too bad, I remembered them worse.