Kult: Divinity Lost

Quickstart rules dropped yesterday. Does Veeky Forums have any thoughts on it yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!u9UQjQwb!4HgecF6CpQTcgWQVLxi6RA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No interest? I'm pretty sure I've seen Veeky Forums talk about it before.

Did you get a ban for showing bloody angel nipples?

No, the idea was to avoid that before it happened. Aren't I the clever one.

Can I get a link? I can't seem to find them on the website.

Does the game still have oceans made of fetuses and other edgy shit like that?

>oceans made of fetuses

Sounds like a place ruled by democrats !

Kult was a super edgy edgelord game made in the early 90s to appeal to the roleplaying kids who had grown up with Drakar & Demoner and Mutant and were now becoming dysfunctional teenagers. It's the same kind of "mature" RPG that a 14-year old makes after reading about World of Darkness and going "I can make this a lot cooler."

Don't get me wrong, there were some good ideas in there, but the game gets lauded to high heaven now because it's seen as a martyr, a great and deep game that pretty much killed off Swedish RPG industry by being attacked by fanatic christians and parent groups. And that did happen, but Kult itself isn't a better game for it. The game is a martyr, but it's really nothing special unless you are a goth, turboemo or someone who thinks WH40K is too cheerful.

That being said, it did have some clever ideas and some good writing and design, just not good as an overall product

I'd normally be really upset with someone for saying that if it wasn't true

This.

I've got the original book. It certainly was edgy as absolute fuck and far bleaker than World of Darkness. The system was a mathmatical clusterfuck, but the setting was enthralling. Hopefully they tidied that up a little

PURGE THE ABORTIONISTS! DEFEND THE UNBORN! DEUS VULT!

quick rules ?

Has there really been any changes to the old rulesystem? I've been kind of vary about the reboot, Kult is one of the ultimate '90s systems: I find it hard to even put the game in a truly modern setting, with smartphones, internet and social mediums.

It's really the ultimate "end of the '80s/early '90s" setting, you need to have a sense of isolation in it.
>pic related

It's a good and really cool game, but I think the season for it may be in the past...

>TROVES
mega.nz/#F!u9UQjQwb!4HgecF6CpQTcgWQVLxi6RA

I loved the setting. Enthralling is a good way to describe it. It was basically The Matrix (long before The Matrix), directed by Clive Barker, with Demons instead of computer overlords, and without Neo (trust me, you wouldn't like to see a "fully aware" human in Kult).

However, yeah, it was very bleak, but worst of it all, the people I knew that played it, desperatly tried to out-edge the already edgy basic setting :(

Yay, thanks!

Good concise description. But yeah, I think it pretty much required somewhat mature and non-retarded players to not turn into an edge convention.
Good game if you had the group for it.

I remember us playing it in our teens and
>pic related

Rules Changed to Apocolypse World.
It feels very small for some reason.
Like their are only a small number of options for players and GM's

They lost the Mental Balance system which I think i'm going to house rule back in.
Never played Kult but that always seemed like a key feature that separated it from other horror games.

I've read the rules and they seems good... but not for Kult. I mean, AW is a really intriguing system for improvisational play, giving a lot of control to the players, which is exactly what kills horror genre. In Kult I want my player helpless, terrified, ignorant of the Illusion and all that stuff, they are here to discover the Kult setting. Now, in the new rules we have moves like "see through the Illusion", it totally betray the core of Kult. Anyway, I'm still eager to give a chance to this new edition and try the new rules, so, who knows?

What is reality in Kult?

Uh, that actually sounds kinda shitty. If anything, Kult had a really nice and simple, though lethal AS FUCK, rulesystem that had hundreds of options to vary and define your characters with. The only really crunchy thing was Endurance, but that was cool too since it put a sort of Dark Souls-ish limiter of how much you could spazz out in combat.
Mental Balance was another iconic rule system that did a good job of measuring your insanity/inhumanity. If they've just neutered the rules that much I think I'll pass.
I have it from reliable sources that █҉̲͖̞̫̙̞͟͞ͅ█̡̖͖̙̻̬͕͎̩̦͙͔̻̀͡ͅͅ█̡̛̝̺̣̪̮̻̀́͞█̢̪̯̺͈̱̘̘̱͍͖̪̣́█̷̡̡͓̳̟͔̺̮̘̟̖̣̹̠̺̖̭̝͉́́ͅ█̴̧̝̲̯͍̩͍̣̟̟͖̥́͡█̶̡̧͔͔̘̞̹͎͔̩͢█̵̫̟͔͍͓͇͓͘͟█̨̥̯̤̥̯̘̺̫̟͟█̴̡̻̖̲̹̝̹̼̤͍̙̟͉͜ͅ█҉̡̠̦̗̠̰̗͙̭̺͠͡ █҉̲͖̞̫̙̞͟͞ͅ█̡̖͖̙̻̬͕͎̩̦͙͔̻̀͡ͅͅ█̡̛̝̺̣̪̮̻̀́͞█̢̪̯̺͈̱̘̘̱͍͖̪̣́█̷̡̡͓̳̟͔̺̮́́ͅ█̴̧̝̲̯͍̩͍̣̟̟͖̥́͡█̶̡̧͔͔̘̞̹͎͔̩͢█̵̫̟͔͍͓͇͓͘͟█̨̥̯̤̥̯̘̺̫̟͟█̴̡̻̖̲̹̝̹̼͜█҉̲͖̞̫̙̞͟͞ͅ█̡̖͖̙̻̬͕͎̩̦͙͔̻̀͡ͅͅ█̡̛̝̺̣̪̮̻̀́͞█̢̪̯̺͈̱̘̘̱͍͖̪̣́█̷̡̡͓̳̟͔̺̮̘̟̖̣̹̠̺̖̭̝͉́́ͅ█̴̧̝̲̯͍̩͍̣́͡█̶̡̧͔͔̘̞̹͎͔̩͢█̵̫̟͔͍͓͇͓͘͟█̨̥̯̤̥̯̘̺̫̟͟█̴̡̻̖̲̹̝̹̼͜

The old rules seemed fucked to high hell.
They looked like the single most complicated thing I'd ever scene when I first saw them. Now they still look pretty bad. These new rules are leaps above the old system which was convoluted as hell.

>hard Gnosticism taken as inspiration for the setting
>hurr why is it bleak n' edgy

>Rules Changed to Apocolypse World.

Oh shit man what the fuck are they doing this shit aint' gonna fly in Killt!?!Q

So, is anyone gonna post the quickstart pdf?

ctrl+f "quick"

Have the original swedish 1st edition. haven't played any of teh others (past the good ol' 90s). So how's the new edition looking?

Internet and computer game skilled the hobby off, not Kult. Hey, it's getting better.

>PBtA shit

NOPE

>d20/roll below
>single most complicated thing I'd ever scene

Even wound level conversion is grade schooler stuff.

I have the first French edition. It's pretty simple. The only annoying thing is calculating base skill levels at character creation. The first US/British edition seems a tad more complicated.

The wound system was pretty cool. Just Hitpoints by another name, but really good disguised and quite easy.

I think it only got complicated if someone wanted to play a "martial arts demigod" which was (sadly) possible and full of options.

Yeah... there was this entire optional ruleset for martial arts somewhere, wasn't there? I hardly remember that shit but you mentioning it rings a little bell...
We never even read that stuff, we had everyone playing plain and average fuckups, so we never ran into trouble with it?

'The Black Madonna' campaign never had an english translation, did it? It was a quite ambiguous and lengthy thing, two or three books iirc, set in the fall of Soviet Union and filled to brim with typical Kult grimdark fare. I actually don't know how the fuck the PC's are supposed to survive the goddamn thing (even the introductionary module seems like a TPK hotbed) but I remember planning to convert it to a Shadowrun metaplane run...

An english translation is coming with the new edition. Do you know the plot of Black Madonna? I've never found it anywhere, can you share your knowledge?

Ooh sheeeit, that one's a mouthful. It's available in the trove linked above but it's probably hard to put that through the google translate...

Anyhow, it's a wild ride set in 1991 East Germany and Russia, one that'll take the PCs through time, to Purgatory and back again and put them up against literal gods and worse.
It's about the plan of death angel Chagidiel, set in motion during WWII, to truly incarnate into elysium and take control of large swathes of Russia/eastern Europe and link these to the hells under his domain.

I might try to put together a résumé later but can't promise anything, just recapping the thing is like writing a minor novel.

>Rules Changed to Apocolypse World.
Wait what.

Rules Changed to Apocolypse World.

>Not purging the unborn
They're the ones that are going to kill you

What is the goal of the death angels?

Why do I feel sad everytime I think about it? Im a degenerate with severe callousness, fuck.

Kult seems pretty nice, Ive just read the quick start guide (thanks to user that posted em), but I have trouble thinking of plothooks and overal stories. Can someone post some ideas or stories from their campaigns?

Oh, and
>The PCs, hunted by hellish forces and servants, fleeing into the dreamlands where they'll recieve dream magic training by Mr Soviet Myagi. Through dreaming they travel to WWII Leningrad, where Chagidiel is raising his citadel amidst a nazi siege, the fiercest winter on record and an, through infernal interference, increasingly inhuman and panicked population.

Iirc they're shadows of the archons and the miserable rulers of inferno. They just want hell to engulf and fuck up everything forever.
>better than serve in heaven etc.

I like Powered by the Apocalypse a lot but boy switching Kult to that engine is a very strange idea. PbtA is hard to get right, and putting its engine in a pre-defined setting seems off.

The Silent Hill series is often a good idea of what Kult is about (SH1 especially was basically Kult the Vidya): The breakdown of reality/shifting to nightmare realms, otherworldly creatures and beings, and stories of personal loss and tragedy.

Sounds fucking amazing. Post-Soviet Russia was also a very cyberpunk place. Corruption everywhere, brutal gangs start appearing, massive pauperization of the population, weird cults appear, everything is falling apart while crime, vice, drug abuse are everywhere...