MTG Modern General

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$

This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Not copying the fucking legacy casual pasta
RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/redwhite-samurai-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-07-16-knightfall/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/8-ratrack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The fuck are the point of these threads any more?

It's always just shit posting and circle-jerking about how good people think they are.

Fuck this gay earth.

Kys you whiny fucking idiot

Yapping with other like minded autists.
Even the most mentally handicapped enjoy social interaction with their peers.

See? If this guy wasn't allowed to Troll and distract himself from his shitty life he might actually negatively affect the life of an actual productive member of society.

which deck should I netdeck?

Birthing pod is gay and I'm glad it's banned.

Shit-posting and circle-jerking on Veeky Forums is all we got left man.

The format is as condemned as Legacy, it just needs a couple more years to decay. In the face of Wizards doing literally nothing to prop the format up, all we got left is to watch it burn.

If I actually heard anybody say in real life that Modern Masters helped us any, I seriously would want to staple their face to the wall. The people here and elsewhere shill that Modern attendance is through the roof but even if that were true, I am 100% that means that large cities are having objectively more events which overshadows the fact that smaller cities are hosting next to no Modern.

It would be nice if Wizards introduced Standard Showdown as an experiment to see if Saturday attendance is preferable to Friday. But we all know the real reason why they introduced it is because attendance has hit the shitter. They don't voluntarily send out free shit unless it gets upvotes on Reddit.

I wonder how much money it cost them extra to get those Standard Showdown packs printed and packaged.

Holy shit is it Veeky Forums in here. I like Talisman of Unity in tron, I was running it for Sacred Ground to fight Fulminator Mage. Eventually, I moved up to 3 instead of spheres because they do pretty good at fight land destruction and blood moon on their own. I also run main deck chalice instead of Spellskite because shutting off your deck is just better than shutting off a few spells.
I don't feel like path is all that great though, is it to fight dredge?

Holy shit, I don't think I've ever heard of someone actively fucking up a good deck more with shit logic. Why don't you just take out 4 urza's mines and replace them with basics to play around fulminator?

Why doesn't burn replace 4 maindeck bolts with 4 maindeck lightning strikes to play around chalice. I mean literally, how can you be this stupid?

What is the most competitive deck I can build with flooded strands and polluted deltas

Burn

>learn Alpha Investments got hacked and Rudy can't do shit to stop some middle eastern guy from stealing all his youtube bucks

Fucking hilarious. MTG Finance is a cancer.

I added Bomat courier to my mono red rdw deck what do you guys think?

But how do I play Burn without red

Chalice...of the Void? in Tron? I don't understand. IMO in Modern, Chalice is best on 1. Why would you shut off your own:
>Chromatic Spheres
>Chromatic Stars
>Ancient Stirrings
>Expedition Maps
>Paths
That's a full third of your deck. And if you're not running these cards, then your Tron build is going to be less consistent at, y'know, assembling Tron.

Breach Titan or Titan Shift? I have everything for the deck in paper minus the Breaches/Scapes, and I'm trying to choose between them. I'm leaning towards Scapeshift as it's slightly cheaper and I have a sneaking suspicion that SSG will get banned, making the Breach version worse and a fairer version with Bolts/Coursers/etc better. That being said, I think Breach is a little better in the current meta, and I love the actual card. The art, the feeling of casting it, the fact that it features one of my favorite mechanics...idk. What do you guys think.?

I feel bad for having this exact opinion.

at least he is a bit better than MTGLion (not saying much). Why couldn't he be hacked instead?

Beach has the dumbest errata of any card in competitive formats.

Hey what do you guys think of this deck, made it awhile ago and its currently my main modern.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/redwhite-samurai-tribal/

I'd go with Breach from the sounds of it.

Only 2 different deck types exist, holy crap is this format cancer

Hey, at least you don't have to deal with the WR bull that most online games do, forcing you to do acedemic studies on the game before even playing it or be branded a shitter, or worse, the autism of the Chess community who believe that playing against anyone not better than them saps their "chessence".

Basically the breach version commits a lot of slots to being a little bit faster and improves a bit against infect but at the cost of consistency. I think that if you're interested in playing a valakut deck, you're not playing it to beat infect or whatever have you, and as such, should play the slightly slower but more consistent version with scapeshifts since it does a much better job against everything bar the creaturr combo decks. But if you expect those, why play valakut is the first place?

To be fair, Chalice is pretty good in Utron

I don't think that guy's playing Utron, though

>MTGWion
I hate that lispy cunt

It's one thing to hate on proxies. It's another thing to actually take action against proxies by showing in videos how to prove they're fake.

Lion is the latter. Fuck him.

I understand stores need to make money and the Chinamen have killed confidence in the market - stores never deserved that kick in the balls. All the effort seeing whether or not a card is fake wastes nobody but the store's time. No store except online stores should simply not be taking in any Vintage product not because it might be fake, but the fact that fakes exist means nobody is going to buy that shit. The only reason why proxies exist in their current form is because it's fucking profitable and easy to do.

You know what else is profitable and easy to do? Printing real cards and selling them to your fucking customers Wizards.

i think its just so you can setup karn, but idk

How can people claim being hacked when they got their shit stolen by a phishing email. Probably happens all the time to people we don't even fucking hear about.

You agreed to YouTube's terms. I'm sure a part of those terms includes "we don't give a fuck about you". They made a platform for you to entertain and gave you a rickety monetization system for you to use. If it's so fucking terrible you can just make your own website and have your fans, yunno the ones that care so much, just straight up send you real dollars.

If you want YouTube to do all the work, use YouTube. If you want a more secure way to protect your content, make a website. The real issue here is not getting phished, it's the fact that people willingly relinquish some of their business protections using another service and fucking whine about it when it burns them.

We could talk about Hearthstone instead if you'd like, user.

Why is it that no one posts questions in the OP any more?

Were the questions that shitty or were the responses really that bad?

Because a bunch of autists would start reeing about it.

Is mono green aggro/stompy a decent fnm deck? Or do I just get shit on by everything?

Shocklands

Holy shit desolatermagic is fucking retarded. I cant help myself. I keep watching his shit, just to hear his whining about "Netdeckers". Fuck you guys for showing that shit to me

>The Idea here is to get out a door a destiny before playing any samurai, either taking damage as it comes or playing some the harms ways to cover your back.
>I should point out I can do in excess of 70 damage with life link and double strike by as early as turn 9.
Zoo/Tron/Infect will kill you way before then.

>early
>turn 9
How slow is your meta?

It's not bad at all for FNM.

It didn't cost them shit. They just held onto a portion of the shipment of singles they usually send to SCG for secondary market sales and decided to use them to build a modicum of customer loyalty back before they fuck us hard in 2017.

Why did it take so long for Burn to pick up Nacatl(after it was unbanned)? Seemed like there was a year or more before it became an auto-include in Naya Burn. Or is it just very meta-dependent?

It's meta dependent. Philosophically, burn wants to blank as many of your removal spells by playing as few creatures as possible and making every topdeck live.

I actually can't see why Burn would want to run Nacatl. The other creatures are fine because they'll typically get their value in before they die.

It obviously gains percentage points. Some people have stuck with RW.

Pretty much this. A turn 3 Karn or turn 4 Ugin is amazing against jeskai and jund, but right now the field is infect and dredge as far as the eye can see; neither is really worried about big, slow planeswalkers that come down a turn after your dead. Moving away from spheres and towards talismans makes you less vulnerable to your own chalice on one.

Thanks. I'm just worried since I've never really played modern before, and the decks at my lgs (merfolk, scapeshift, tron,green blue control, and white black control) seem better. Any secret tech for the sb?

Wtf is green blue control?
Mono green should be decent at racing most of those. If W/B control is anti-creature, it will probably be your toughest matchup. Well, a turn-3 wurmcoil from tron can really mess things up too.

nobody gives a fuck about those, we just need a thread to talk about modern

Not a competetion legal alter due to obstructed middle bar. Don't make a competitive general with an illegal alter.

are you really autistic or just pretending?

Can we have back the other who doesn't fucking self-abuse in public with his this shit-tier WotC shilling copy pasta?

I have no idea lol an old acquaintance from school called it that, I just saw pongify and something with undying when he played next to me.
That bw control mainboards ghostly prison, so that will probably fuck me

Basically, here's what happened: Theros dropped, and gave us Destructive Revelry making a G splash worth it in Burn. Enchantment and artifact removal plus burn on one card let us deal with problematic hate cards heavily played at the time (like Leyline of Sanctity). Then, with Khans block, we got Atarka's Command. Since we already splashed G for sideboard, why not make a slightly heavier splash and play those Skullcrack+. Oh wait, it has a mass pump mode for more damage. Now where could we find a great aggro creature that we can make use of in Naya colors that was just recently unbanned?

Personally, I don't run Nacatl. I find when I do, my mana base is guaranteed to hit me for 5- 7 each game, and honestly, that's too much for me. I play 3 Atarka's Command. It took me a while to find the right "Self Damage: Opponent Damage" ratio.

But I'm also a weird burn player. I only play two searing blaze (because it's a terrible topdeck without a land in hand or a fetch on board), I like searing blood (it basically does the same job as blaze), and I tend to play low and slow (holding back instants until I'm guaranteed to win. Bluffing stuff like Skullcrack or Boros charm to extend the damage from creatures)

Are you retarded? youtube is has been moving capitals in the last decade they need to make sure that money goes to their owners, can you imagine if the billions pewdiepies makes end up in some ISIS bank account?

>those hands
yeesh

Can somebody help me make a sideboard for this? I've never been any good at putting one together.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-07-16-knightfall/
Meta is Jund, Tron, Infect, Zoo, a couple different Delver lists. Tron is especially tough to work around.
Other suggestions appreciated too.

Just put a few green critters in your SB that eat Emchantments/Artifacts when they enter play and you'll be fine. Or straight up Naturalize effects.

whatever you do, don't invest into the tron MU. it's a waste of SB slots for your deck

green blue control and white black control aren't actual decks so you should be fine

>sideboard 6
>as "early" as turn 9
Go back to edh

Thanks senpai

Still doesn't make sense to play GW tron with a maindeck card that shuts off your best green card and your best white card.

See I actually think the Breach matchup is pretty good against infect. The list I have online has 4 maindeck Chalice of the Void which goes a long way, and postboard gets 2 Sudden Shock and a virtual 4 Melira (1 + 3 Pact).

My favorite match vs Infect involved me explaining to my opponent why Inkmoth Nexus does absolutely nothing with Melira out. The salt did flow

>Jund
Seems like you're OK against jund as is. Just outvalue them with CoCo and Loxodon Smiter
>Tron
Bring in Stony Silences and Gaddock Teeg, then hope to get lucky. Maybe a Reclamation Sage as well.
>Infect
Melira. Pretty self-explanatory. Also Blessed Alliance
>Zoo
More Finks.
>Delver
Your creatures are better and you can play them at instant speed so you shouldn't have to sideboard too much. More Finks maybe
>Other Suggestions
Graveyard hate. RIP is obvious, but for the maximum cheese/surprise factor you also want 1x Bojuka Bog

Your T2:
>I play Araba Mothrider, pass

My T2:
>I play goyf.

Gee it's gonna be a balanced match.

Beast within works well as a sideboard card, especially as you can also use it against tron.

Dude true. Thanks, will consider, friendo.
OK so one more question. 4 kalonian tusker or 4 garruks companion? Tusker survives any 2 damage wipe, but the same power with trample seems better.

Tusker. You're probably using Rancors anyway right?

Probably Companion since it makes your Aspects of Hydra/other pump spells better. The only removal spell it realyl makers a difference for is Pyroclasm and those aren't seeing as much play as they used to thanks to Anger of the Gods being a better meta call

This kills the format

I certainly love my Vault Skirges in Affinity.

Thought only the name, mana cost which is obstructed here, and P/T had to be exposed?

Yup, 4 of. The trample on a body just seemed too good tho
And that's what I was thinking.

Blooming Marsh or Woodland Cemetery?

Yo guys, what do ya think? I enjoy this deck alot, but i feel whenever i loose, its my fault, not the deck.

>4 kalonian tusker or 4 garruks companion?

2x scavenging ooze. Shit just got reprinted and helps you a lot vs dredge/burn.

Have those in the sb

How important is it for you to play a black or green spell turn 1?

forgot the link the deck... tappedout.net/mtg-decks/8-ratrack/

I've won games where I had no turn 1 play, but I'm running a mid-range tempo sort of deck so I feel a lot better when I can start the game off on a solid foot.

On the other hand, I keep thinking "If my hand has only a Woodland Cemetery and no Swamp or Forest to play before it, it's probably a bad hand I shouldn't keep in the first place."

Incidentally, my reason for asking this is because I'm dropping one to add some Overgrown Tombs I recently acquired and they DO count as Swamps/Forests for Woodland Cemetery.

Seems like a really fun fnm deck actually, but I wouldn't take it to a tournament. I'd also run 4 of rat.

They're worth to be played mainboard. Ooze brings way more to the table than Garruk's companion.

>printing real cards and selling them to your customers

Woah there. wouldn't want to upset investors or collectors or whatever, and formats might become more affordable.

No, the better idea is to print another glorified draft set, throw a bunch of old cards in but make them mythic rare and glue a $9.99 pricetag on the boosters. way better. :^)

Imagine if modern masters '17 is going to be $9.99 and doesn't even have a lotv or snapcaster reprint.

Calling it now.
Snapcaster at mythic
Delver at rare

Delver at uncommon

this is the format horoscope

Where do you guys buy your playmats?

I want to get one just to use as a big mouse pad. Preferably something anime-ish like Hayao Miyazaki

I just want sub $1 bolts. A common that needs to be in so many decks should not be so expensive.

>4$ for a playset of the best card ever
>something to complain about
Dude just bite the bullet and buy your fuckin bolts

>tfw play monoblue
>people bitch about Blood Moon all the time
>forget all about Choke and Boil
>"greedy manabase" (mostly just basic islands desu) gets btfo, and the only way to remedy this is in the slightest is to either pre-emptively fuckify the manabase or shell out $$$ for the minamo/oboro package, which gives you the slightest edge vs those cards
>I don't even play merfolk

I haven't seen anyone packing choke/boil in modern since twin got the hammer. must be a local meta choice.

I play temur and I am a try hard.

I play BW hatebears but I'm not Chinese?

Delver's never getting reprinted outside of a double-faced card set. It would be too much effort for them to introduce flip cards and their checklist cards because you can already imagine players going "where is flip card X or my checklists" if they exclude them. Hoard your fucking $2 common Delvers while you can.

yfw the next modern masters is a flip set and they reprint delver

What the fuck are they going to reprint? Delver and Jace? Avacyn?

Fill a flip checklist card for me. It's just not going to happen.

But that's the rational me talking. The part of me that hates Wizards means they're going to do it anyways to the benefit of nobody. They're going to reprint Mayor and Ludevic's Test Subject even though those were promos just to spite absolutely everyone.

This time next year the game will be dead anyways - that's not "the sky is falling" talk, that's talk backed up by the obvious signs that Magic attendance is shitting itself everywhere - Standard Showdown wouldn't be a thing if attendance wasn't crapping out. The only people left playing will be the diehards.

Thing in the Ice and Huntmaster of the Fells off the top of my head

Can't decide on what deck to bring to my next serious tournament. I've narrowed selection down to some that I like:

Skred Red
Been playing it way before Mackie's finish but w/e, it's still really great against big parts of the meta, but very dependant on good draws.

Dredge
I feel like the meta has adapted to this one just too much to breach through an 8 round tournament.

Thing Ascension
This one I really love to play, and I like it's resilience over other similar decks and the way you can adapt your role in a match. However I feel it's often 1-2 turns too slow against many decks.

UR Prowess / Kiln Fiend
I feel like this works a lot like Thing Ascension, but trading in the resilience and flexibility for faster kills.

Jeskai Aggro / Mantis Rider
I'm not even sure this is a good deck, but it's an oddball that's also got the potential to adapt to lots of situations

What do you guys think

Play the red blue prowess, it's fun as fuck.

Is this what all modern players are like?

when you 2-0 skred in 12 minutes

Just got home, thanks for the suggestions.
>Jund
Yeah, it's a fine matchup, not worth slotting for.
>Tron
I've had Stony Silences in the back of my mind in case Affinity started showing up, but yeah I suppose it works for Tron. Gaddock is nice too, I never seem to think of him outside of the commander setting.
>Infect
Melira is solid. Blessed is a cute workaround for Vines/Blossoming, and some nice modes for other matchups too. Going to have to look through all the recent modal spells again too.
>Zoo
I used to run 4 Finks because of all the burn, but those went away. Might have to bring them back.
>Delver
I might just go with more Geists. Finks are good for winning the tempo race too, yeah.
>RIP
Can't do it because of the KotRs. I'll probably just go with more Scoozes if I notice Dredge lists showing.
>Bojuka Bog
I tend to keep one of these in my sideboard in any brew that runs KotR. It's such a sweet feeling.

Wouldn't temur be the turbo cucks and grixis be the tryhards given that grixis delver is about 100 times more successful than almost anything temur has produced in years?