/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread:Do you think any other classes need a "Revision" like Ranger got?

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Adult Bronze Dragon
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1qjwqpGx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hey Phillip

Hello user.

First for healthy discussion about characters concepts and fun combinations of abilities.

What was wrong with artificer?

>Demon armor makes your unarmed strikes magical and gives them a d8 for damage

Sweet, could replace the whole monk class with this.

Sorcerer could need an official buff. Wot4E should be remade/buffed, same with Bladelock and I'd like Berserker to be too.

Can battlemasters disarm people by shooting them with a crossbow?

Mechanically: honestly nothing. It's as closer to the old God Wizard that 5e gets, with a wizard that can heal and bypass concentration on some effects through potions.

But in older editions the artificer was definitely less of a wizard, mechanically, and that pissed people off. I for one don't mind it, and now the Forge cleric from the UA is actually really close to artificer mechanically.

Yes. They can also goad them to attack you from 600 ft. away, even if they can't see you.

Yeah, the issue was that well...the Artificer isn't really a spellslinger. They meld magic and equipment together.

They finally had a good, coherant theme in 4e (And were mostly weapon users) and then 5e goes 'Yeah, they are just wizards who can't even make permanent items until 18'.

That last bit was the bit that really annoyed me. Ebberon is a setting built around 2 major ideas: Shit tonnes of minor magic items because they can be produced easily + High level people are very, very rare. So they made the iconic class for that setting unable to meet either of the two major ideas of the setting.

damn, heavy crossbow battlemaster looks like a lot of fun now

Possibly the land druid.

About to join a game, as a warlock - itll be my second game.

Is there anyway to get magic missile? Its my favourite spell and at this stage it looks like im going to have to multi-class just to grab it.

As a DM would you allow a warlock to take it instead of say witch bolt?

What multiclass options synergize with Sun Soul Monk? I was thinking Champion fighter since Battlemaster Maneuvers don't synergize with spell range attacks?

Magic Initiate Wizard.

Speaking of this, would it be broken to allow every class to make a bonus action unarmed attack when they take a melee attack action? Sword + slap, pick + punch, hammer + headbutt, etc
I don't see why you can't "two weapon fighting" with two hands

>Grab Magic Missile, can cast it 1/long rest for free then using spell slots after that
>Can also grab two useful Cantrips

gonna start a campaign (first time dm-ing) with some family over christmas time

how long does the lost mines of phandelver typically take to play through?

also, any other suggestions for that campaign?

Well, you'd make the monk worse than it already was.

As a DM? Sure.

Apart from asking your DM for it you could use magic initiate to get it from sorcerer, that way it casts from charisma still, and then you get one "free" cast at 1st level AND can cast it with your warlock slots.

You have made my day!

Moon druid to become LAZOR CAT

To balance with two weapon fighting we would have to not allow str modifier on the damage, so you would be dealing literally one damage (no smite, no sneak attack allowed)
Good if you need to break concentration though.

I'd suggest getting utility Cantrips since you've already (probably) got Eldritch Blast for a damaging one and Magic Initiate (Wizard) uses INT for it's casting.

I'd suggest Mold Earth and Mage Hand/Mending, all are incredibly useful.

So, I'd like to make a Myrmidon/Swordmaster type character from Fire Emblem ala Navarre or Rutger.

What do you guys recommend? So far, Bard, Fighter, Ranger and Rogue look the most promising with Fighter and Rogue being the most clear contenders. However, I understand that Bard and Ranger might, overall, be stronger mechanically.

>AND can cast it with your warlock slots.

Please explain.
I thought once it was cast i'd have to take a rest. How does it allow me to cast multiple times?

Unless you have a Feat or class/race ability that gives you a better die Unarmed Strikes only deal 1+STRMod damage anyways.

You "learn" the spell so can cast it as normal, however can only do so without expending a slot once per rest.

I'll dig up an actual source in a second.

I don't think any class needs a revision as large-scale as the Ranger did, but a few class choices need some tweaking. As far as the classes go I think Sorcerer could do with a little to make them a desirable choice when Bard does everything the Sorcerer wants to do plus a little bit extra. For subclasses, the Four Elements Monk has some obvious issues with ki management, and the Beserker subclass needs some way to get around how punishing exhaustion rules are. Bladelock isn't strictly a subclass but it could still do with a little to make it a viable option over Eldritch Blast. As much as I'd like the Bladelock to be a tankier, more defensive alternative to the usual EB cannon, the sad fact is that by giving Bladelock heavier armour and more HP I suspect people'll take it for those benefits and then just be a tankier EB cannon than they could have been before.

As a personal gripe, Champion could do with some more interesting options in combat, because it's not fun to play.

Rogue is the way to go for a myrmidon. Mayber Fighter 5/Rogue X. Cunning Action lets you disengage from combat at will and run away, a strategy most other martials can't use and which emphasizes your hit and run nature.

Here, in the PHB Errata.

You know the spell so can cast it with spell slots.

Bard and Ranger obviously include the possibility of magic, so if you don't want magic then they're not for you. The Myrmidon class itself is probably best represented by a Fighter with the Battlemaster archetype, although a Rogue with the Swashbuckler archetype may also fit as one of the most up-front and fighty archetypes for the Rogue. Those two are pretty solid mechanically, although on account of having no spellcasting they miss out on a little utility as you'd expect.

I think my group is on session 8 or 9? I haven't been counting really. They just cleared out Cragmaw Castle, about to throw Venom Fang at them. So probably another 4 or 5 sessions to deal with the dragon and the actual mine.

Albeit, I have a good number of new players so we aren't always as productive as I'd like and I've added about 4 or 5 sessions of original content.

Swashbuckler fits this perfectly.

Shit, the OP image makes me super sad there isn't a 5E invoker, everything about their flavor was amazing, they were more than a cleric, they had been given the words of the Gods themselves and were fit to speak for them, as they were the true conduits.

>Sorcerer gets back spell slots on short rest
Are they OP now?

I don't necessarily mind having magic, which would probably get refluffed some way.

As far as Fighter archetypes, wouldn't Champion fit the theme more as it expands the critical range?

I'll note that down, then.

I suppose my next question becomes, should I go for a Two-weapong Fighting build, or 'Dueling' as the books like to call it? Two-Weapons would play better with Sneak Attacking, if I do go along the Rogue route, I think. I'll have to ask my DM, but I BELIEVE feats are on the table, if that makes a difference.

how long is each session generally?

and how many players do you have?

thanks, here's a tiefling

Yes. Good job. Why would you suggest that instead of SP on short though.

>sorc gets spell slots back upon short rest
Literally trivializes Warlock as a class except as a 1 level dip to get EB, even then, Magic Initiate.

Two weapons is nice because you get a chance to sneak attack if you miss with your first attack. Since rogues only get one (Very powerful) attack, it's a nice safety net.

Most my D&D sessions last 2-3 hours. LMoP takes about 20-25 hours to complete.

5 players and about 3 hours each session

that's awesome, thanks pal

thanks

have a qt

Well we usually start at 1am and play until 5-7am, depending on our level of tiredness and the mood. We have me DMing and 5 PC's.

So our sessions are anywhere from 4-6 hours.

I feel like the rogue sneak attack fits the whole I crit every time theme better than an eventual 15% chance to crit.

Hello, /5eg/, we're running a party full of cliches. I'm probably going to play a girl, who escaped her arranged marriage to an old man. What class and archetype may fit that concept other than rogue?

For that matter, is rogue good? How does mastermind rogue compare to other archetypes?

Rolling up a evil santa christmas encounter. What would be some stats for the evil goblins/elves, the reindeer, and santa himself?

Rogue is one of the best. Mastermind rogue is good in political intrigue, as expected, and pretty decent everywhere else. Sometimes you'll wish you were an Arcane Trickster, but that's OK.

Wizard, maybe? Was taught Magic as a sort of "Look at how smart and high class my daughter is she can cast spells n' shit."

Douchebag the Jew, is that you?

How cartoonishly hammy do you need the encounter to be?

I may be a douchebag, but why am I a jew?

I'd just give them more sorcery points (at least at a lower level) and change Empowered Spell to work like Elemental Affinity, paying 1 sorcery point to add your cha to the damage, maybe 2 if it's an aoe spell. IMO, sorcerers should be less versatile than wizards, but pack more of a punch with the things they can specialize in.
The issue right now, as
stated, is bards are plain better than them, but I think that's more of an issue of how good bards are than how bad sorcerers are.

Somewhat evil, like I have ice elementals as guardians to his realm. And I'm going to have the high moors turn into a winter wonderland because evil santa is coming to the realm. So challenging and I want it to give off a christmas vibe. Characters are around level 3.

I'm going to be using Krampus for the encounter, although toned down a lot.

I was working under the assumption of multiclassing into fighter, picking up champion on the way to Extra Attack, then jumping into Rogue until 20.

Question: Why would anybody ever take Dueling as a fighting style? It's just so subpar compared to something like Two-Weapon.

If we assume that there's no ability modifier and every attack hits, an 8th level Fighter 5/Rogue 3 with dueling would be doing 1d8 (4.5 avg) + 2 + 2d6 (7 avg) + 1d8 (4.5 avg) + 2 = 18 average damage
And equivalent Fighter/Rogue who's chosen Two-Weapon Fighting will be doing 1d6 (3.5 avg) + 2d6 (7 avg) + 1d6 (3.5 avg) + 1d6 (3.5 avg) = 17.5 avg.

Now, the math seems to favor dueling, but only so long as we assume neither has bothered to put decent scores in their main attribute (strength or dex). If we assume each has a reasonable 16 in their offensive stat of choice, then the Dueling Rogue/Fighter's average damage becomes 21 and the Two-Weapon Fighting variant's becomes a staggering 26.5.

If we also assume feats are allowed, the TWF Rogue/Fighter can pick up Dual Wielder can squeeze a further 3 damage in over the Dueling build by simply picking up a Rapier.

Why the fuck would anybody pick Dueling?

Because it allows you to keep decent damage while still using a shield.

Even Wizards are better at most things than them, Evozard shits on sorcerer blasters with more casts and non-shit careful spell, and that's one of the worst wizard archetypes. Twin is the only strong suit they have, which is amazing but not good enough to make the whole class good. I like giving sorcs this as well as the ability to use the spell point variant rule and a small buff for wild mage because it's pretty bad.

Because not everyone wants to have two swords.
Sometimes people pick the not most viable option because it fits the character.

You can hold a shield if you take dueling.

Forgot to attach.

Have you not played Stick of Truth?

Dood I forgot about that /r/ing a cleric domain based off of SoT's Jew class.

Wouldn't you be better served just taking a more damage efficient option and killing the thing that's attacking you before it got a chance to hurt you?

You fucking roleplayers and your goddamn funhaving need to stay out of my rollplay number simulator, your escapsim and pretend playing disgusts me. /s

Is rogue 14/shadow monk 6 actually good, or is it just a meme?

An average of 5 more damage per attack action doesn't actually make that much of a difference at higher levels, but the +2 AC will always be relevant.

If she was the daughter of a politician a sort of bard with something else would be good she would be good at getting info out of people since charisma is being part of a politician and she must have gone to many high class meetings to practice this skill to aid her family into blackmailing other poiticians or what not.

Otherwise ignore my post I'm a retard.

Ninja build has been a meme since the PHB came out, but yes, it's breddy gud.

If you want the most damage out put you should GWF with a greatsword, still 2d6, reroll 1s and 2s. So just pick what seems coolest to you, weather that be 2 swords, one big sword, a sword and shield, whatever

The damage of GWF comes from GWM mostly, while S&Bers have a utility feat with Shield Master instead. Ranged attackers can keep up quite well at higher levels though, with the fighting style giving them +to hit.

Shadow Monk 6/Bard 3/ Rogue 11

>Bard 3
pourquoi?

In terms of speed, utility, and damage over pure rogue or pure monk up to like 11th level: yes, it's really good. Do monk 6 first (pump dex at 4th), and then into rogue for the rest.

If Dual Wielder is on the table, it's more like 8.5 more average damage per attack action, but I'm just being pedantic, and will digress.

I know Wizards has been pushing their 'bounded accuracy' guff heavily with this edition, but does bounded accuracy apply monsters vs players? I thought it was a player only-thing, but I'm also not terribly familiar with the system.

I won't argue that doing what you want will be reasonably effective. I was just pointing out a sort of glaring inconsistency between the combat types.

Bard 3 gives you (some) spells, Jack of All Trades so you have Reliable Talent on LITERALLY EVERYTHING, and either prof. in martial goodies, 2 more skills to Expertise, or the ability to tumble around like a Dark Souls Wood Grain Ring nigger.

Forgot to add- you lose Blindsight on Rogue you get at 14 though, so keep that in mind if you're doing the Darkness to fuck the enemy tactic of the Naruto build.

Fuck I forgot about tumbling fool.

Dueling will add 2 damage per attack. Two-Weapon Fighting is passed in damage around level 11 when fighters get enough attacks for dueling to outweigh the damage from twf.

>Do you think any other classes need a "Revision" like Ranger got?
Purple dragon knight

are you fucking vampires or garou

I'm on break from class, so I'm good to play whenever. So is one of the other PC's.

But the rest of them work really shit jobs and don't get off until like 12AM on weekdays. Fridays at 1AM is the best time for us to play.

4-6 here too

>Four elements
give them spell slots instead like eldritch knight and arcane trickster, so they can cast more shit but not get it all back on a short rest.

>Berserker
Let them not feel the effects of exhaustion during a rage, so they at least can still shine for 1 minute

>Bladelock
give them all the eldritch blast invocations but applied to melee weapon attacks instead. yes even the one to hit from 300 feet away :^) Probably change the +cha to dmg invocation to use cha as your melee attack modifier to hit and to damage.

>Champion
Buff their chosen fighting style even more. You don't just prefer two-weapon fighting, you're a fucking champion of it. You're not just good at putting on the hurt with big weapons, you demolish people you hit. This also applies to the second style you get at level 10.

For Berserkers what I did is just let them expend their Hit Dice and increase their damage by the roll once they've hit with an attack.
This way, you get the thematic "i'm a short-term killing machine" with long-term trade off. And you also allow your Berserker to go two weapons wielding. Because my player wanted to play Olaf.

The rest of Berserker features are pretty good honestly. Makes me think of original ways to curb his rampage in creative ways.

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Adult Bronze Dragon

The bestiary now includes "rollables," where each ability score, skill, save bonus, attack, and dice roll in the stat blocks can be clicked to roll it in-line.

This is fucking cool, thanks 5emegaanon, you are the hero we need but don't deserve.

How would we make the Dark Vestiges in CoS to be more like the Dark Powers of old?

A man among men.

You the man user

Meganon what the fuck. Why are you so good to us? You've seen these threads, we do *not* deserve you.

I like that idea a lot. How exactly do they get this feature? Is it just an additional thing on top of what they already get at level 3?

im usually one to physically roll dice but fuck rolling 12d6, thanks mang

Where I can watch people play D&D?
I want to learn by watching.

Twitch, probably.

Where does it actually say in the rules that Longbows use DEX for attacks? I don't actually see it. Do they even use it, or have I been playing wrong all this time just assuming that's how they work?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1qjwqpGx

We play using these rules. Not sure they'll satisfy Veeky Forums's VERY HIGH standards (^:

PHB pg. 194. Melee weapon attacks use Strength, ranged weapon attacks use Dexterity. Only finesse and thrown weapons break that rule.