/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Black Magic Edition

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread: How do we fix warlocks?

Hey Phillip

Is there any other homebrewed time spells similar to Time Stop?

I can't really find much. Would be interesting to see how other time manipulation would translate into the game.

Time manipulation abilities are always terrible in D&D

Don't do it

Designing an encounter, I'm trying to make a necromancer enemy for the party to fight. What class is best for this? I'd imagine a death cleric or something like that?

>How do we fix warlocks?
Give them a real spell book instead of every other caster's scraps.
Anyone else ever have a problem with AoE spells being used super metagamey and ruining every nondeadly early game combat?
My group plays on roll20 and literally as I'm placing the tokens for a fight he has the measuring tool pulled up and is measuring grids to perfectly hit everything he can. It drives me nuts and every time I put something in to counteract it he whines that I'm gimping him by not letting him shoot fireballs through monsters to points behind them, or counterspelling, or focusing him.

>Anyone else ever have a problem with AoE spells being used super metagamey and ruining every nondeadly early game combat?

Direct both of yourselves to DMG 249 for adjudicating areas of effect. While the AoE table is dedicated to theater of the mind, it generally gives idea of intended balance of those things.

Alternatively, more combat per long rest

Alternatively, have that vary based on intelligence of enemies. Those that can think "hm wow the guy in robes might be able to fireball" are more likely to spread themselves out

Alternatively, fuck your player, you're the dm.

the easiest way is to reflavor shit like Haste and Slow as time manipulation

You could always port over 3.5e Celerity

Celerity
3rd level Transmutation
Casting time: Reaction
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
Caster gains an additional action or bonus actions as chosen by them. This action may be used to Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, Use an Object or to cast a spell of 1st level or higher even if the caster has cast another spell of 1st level or higher this turn. After this action has been taken the caster is dazed in the round following the casting of this spell.

This. I had a vampire undying warlock that reflavored expeditious retreat as slowing time down.

Has WotC said anything about putting more adventures up on roll20? I lined up all the maps and entered everything for a CoS game and I really don't want to do that for the other books.

>How do we fix Warlocks?
They need fixing? Give them the Cleric ability to beseech their patron.

dont bother using a class. also i think there is a necromancer in volos.

>directly asking the Archfey for help

There is absolutely no way this could end badly[/sarcasm]

/5eg/ I need your help.
Can you recommend an awesome adventure of about 5-6 hours of play time?
Any setting and/or edition is fine, bonus point if relatively unknown.

Do Tomb of Horrors

Everyone dies, no hurt feelings because fuck Gygax

probably the most amazing adventure to play is the one you create with your imagination, user

Not that guy, but I've been haphazardly coming up with my own adventure for a while now and I think it sucks. My players seem to enjoy it, but whew is it terrible.

As long as the players are having fun, that is what matters user.

and that means your campaign must be good!

>Playing my first D&D game
>The Lost Mines of Phandelver
>Get into it with some goblins
>Follow them to their cave hideout
>Kill guards and enter cave
>Halfling monk gives wolves food so they don't attack us
>I, human fighter, climbs up rock chimney in the back of the wolf chamber
>Meet Klarg the bugbear
>Attempt to greet him in a friendly manner, rolled a 19+3
>I give salute "How's it going Brother?" in orcish
>Klarg angry I jump back down hole
>Scream insults at Klarg in Orcish
>Entire hideout is alerted to our 4 man party
>12 goblins and Klarg charge down passage to murder us
>Continue yelling insults in Orcish

We bottle necked the passage and slowly retreated as the goblins came up, the bodies stacked so high it gave us half cover and them disadvantage for standing on corpses. It was a slaughter.

>Goblinoids don't understand Orcish

casters rly dont need this in 5e

>How do we fix warlocks?

Weaken Eldritch Blast so it's not the best action in combat 9/10 turns. Increase spell slots and spell list so they can useful things on the turn they WOULD have just been spamming Eldritch Blast before.

Goblinoids, get this, speak Goblin.

What feats work best with a paladin?

>>Goblinoids don't understand Orcish
You silly baka

>New player invited by old Gm wants to Gm
>Ok
>Never Gmd before
>Ok
>Doesn't know much about the rules
>Ok
>Recommend him an easy precon
>"Nah, precons hinder my creativity, I want to create a game from 0"
>...ok
>"Also I'm going to change some rules because I feel like they don't use irl logic"
>...ok?
>Game ends being a fucking mess of "mother may I's" because the fucker never tells you which rules change, of """"my""" logic and of asspulls because he never prepares a session and everything ends being awfully improvised which ends in nearly TPK which ends in DMPC coming to rescue
I gave him 3 sessions, other anons are still hoping he changes but after talking to him is clear he isn't going to change, he gets uber mad if you even imply you disagree with him and invokes they I'm the GM I'm GOD! rule. Sorry guys, I'm out, I hope you all realize how much of cancer he's.

ability score increase, anything that gives you more attacks, if you're one of those "can buff your to hit or get advantage at will" paladins then gwm is good. but mostly ASI.

How about no

Heavy armor master, shield master, polearm master, Great weapon master, inspiring leader, sentinel, mounted combatant and war caster.

Mostly agreeing with this guy, but I say GWM is probably one of the better options, as well as Sentinel (because tank paladin is gr8)

sounds like a spoiled brat who doesn't understand the purpose of the gm

Polearm Master

so its never a good idea to have everyone lose all their stuff and start the adventure in prison right? at least not without warning?

Tangentially related

The other day I left a game, I wasn't having fun because the game was railroady as fuck and there was also a GMPC, I politely said I wasn't going to return because I wasn't having fun, holy shit that backfired, the GM and his BFF started calling me entitled faggot, etc, well, at least thanks to that triggering another player left the game after realizing he was going to be alone with these two

>at least not without warning?

Well, yeah. Wealth By Level is still a thing, even if magic item Walmarts aren't

Celerity was one of the most brokenly powerful spells in 3.5, why would you port it?

>Wealth By Level is still a thing
Where in the rules is that?

Doesn't Rage of Demons start out in prison? How does everyone feel about that module? I've thought about running it.

what if i have them find some stuff they want/have on their character sheets early on? like not everything but if theres a wizard, he might find his spellbook somewhere (say being read by a jailor) or if the fighter is attached to his halberd, he can find a halberd?

i really want to do this to my group but im having second thoughts because the wizard player at least has been really getting into his items and texting me a lot like "yo can i reflavor x as y?"

but i have a whole adventure planned out (just a 1 shot) so idk. i could just like... skip the losing all the items part but it just seems not as good that way the way i have it planned out. i think the group would be into it, like they won't hate me, but i'm just getting cold feet or something.

Not him, but: there's a table in the DMG that has suggestions for starting wealth based on tier and the ubiquity of magic items in a setting.

It's definitely not the same as wealth by level in past editions which was intended as a guide for DMs running campaigns to try and ensure everybody was able to function in an explicitly magic item fueled game.
The less zany scaling kind of precludes that way of looking at 5e.

Like I said, not a hard and fast rule, but starting martials without their weapons, skillmonkeys without their tools and casters without their focuses is a dick-move unless you warn them first

>Playing Storm King's Thunder
>Accused of murder in Fireshear at a gathering of nobles with plenty of guards.
>Wizard asks the captain of the guard to look into the crystal ball, and casts phantasmal force
>Show him illusion of one of the other guards committing the murder
>Other guard protests
>Wizard casts charm person on the other guard and convinces him he was drunk and blacked out when he committed the murder
>Guard cries and confesses that its true.
>Guard is hauled away
>Murder solved before breakfast

Well done team, well done. We are truly experts at sidestepping the DM's plot hooks, which is why I'm pretty sure those 3 knights we fought later were made up on the fly.

>How do we fix warlocks?
More powerful invocations, especially ones that boost their pact boons. I feel like they're nervous about giving them too much at-will power, but a lot of the warlock invocations from 3.5 were more useful without being broken.

They aren't rules per se, more like guidelines

Literally perfect as it is now

can you give us examples?

fuck time to read rage of demons i guess and see how they manage it. (i say fuck but i really don't mind doing this)

I don't know what that thing is but it sure is cute

I would say sidestep the invocations in this case and just add a scaling element to each boon based on how it's lacking. Give them more 'gimmes', more guaranteed efficacy. That's what the best classes and subclasses in 5e have, and warlock lacks a compelling competency floor unless you specialize in Eldritch Blast.

For instance, for the pact weapon: have it so that when using Eldritch Blast you can substitute one of the projectiles for a weapon attack, and then you can worry about having invocations that make their pact weapon attacks more interesting to give a player more choices to build up from that guaranteed functionality.

3.5e Invocations they need to bring back.
>The Dead walk
>Curse of Despair
>Baleful Blast
>Fell Flight
>Wall of Gloom
>Devour Magic
>Nightmares Made Real
>Eldritch Doom
>Utterdark Blast
>Path of Shadow
>Dark Discorporation

>How do we fix warlocks?
Add more nuke-y spells. Go steal encounter powers from 4E, since they were all really flavorful and tailored to the various patrons, and shove them into the class.

Give them another invocation early on, because we know there's a fucking tax. Fix all existing invocations that say "you can cast _____ while expending a spell slot". Fuck that, just make it per long rest if it's really powerful, and all the other per-rest ones that aren't that great become per short rest. No spell slots needed.

And for fuck's sake do something to Bladelocks so I don't have to deal with them in my party every time. Either kill them or make them useful, I'm tired of dragging this dead weight around.

What is a feral tiefling, fluff wise? Are they just tieflings born less charismatic and more agile? Is there even really anything to go on for this or is SCAG the first time they've ever been mentioned?

>What is a feral tiefling, fluff wise?
Their infernal bloodline doesn't stem from Asmodeus in FR.

Their look is less uniform. They're styled after the 3.5 and earlier tieflings. Default tieflings are the 4e style.

Also, re-add Blast Shapes. Let Warlocks use their Eldritch Blast to shoot Cones again, PBAoEs, and Lines. Tone the damage down on these so that it's not superior to plain Blasting unless you're hitting like four idiots.

I'd read up on the rules. I was pretty sure it was against the highest passive perception only, and if any of the creatures fail stealth they're given away and can't surprise the party.
Heck, even the RAW isn't very helpful. 'Anybody who doesn't notice a threat' could either be 'Anybody who doesn't notice all threats (where one creature, 'a threat' goes unnoticed)' or 'Anybody who doesn't notice a single threat at all is surprised'.
I suppose I got confused because I believe the proper ruling is that you only have to notice one threat, and that's rather similar to 'somebody in the party only has to notice one of the threats', if it wasn't for 'A member of a group can be surprised even if others aren't'.
I'm not sure what to say. They're really intent on making dex/con/wis the god-stats, aren't they? Personally I would say a variant rule for surprise would be due, but if you play D&D properly the party should be able to anticipate an attack without passive perception.

4d6 drop one already limits play away from monk and paladin. If you weren't prepared for that, don't play a game where you roll for stats.

I forgot that indomitiable wasn't as powerful as legendary resistance (If fighters didn't get more uses of it, it's be underpowered as fuck I'd say, but I guess they get 2 or 3 uses of it later which is nice).

And severe encumberance rules are a variant rule. If you have 7 strength on normal rules, you're fine.

>Glyph of Warding
>the spell fails if the object it's cast on moves so many feet from the original location
What if the object is cast, and used, inside a bag of holding?

You know damn well that counts as moving and only a real pushover DM would say otherwise.

But it's a pocket plane! The coordinates within the bag remain fixed! As long as the glyph doesn't cross the threshold from the pocket plane to the Prime Material...

I did read the stuff about other all tieflings being descendants of Asmodeus and the list of weird looks they can have, but the wording seemed ambiguous about whether those were meant to refer to ferals or just be a separate statement. I suppose if it is, then the same goes for all the variants not being from Asmodeus.

This isn't even necessary.

Glyph of warding casts the spell regardless of the spell's range limitation. With clever triggers, you can give it global range.

I have an adventure League question here. When running Bane of the Tradeways do I let players keep their riding horses? they're mentioned under a treasure subheading in part one, but not under the final treasure subheading for the module. The AL FAQ just says objects under a treasure subheading can be kept and/or sold.

Either have them escape quickly, or have them be able to use their class abilities and such still. Depends on if you just want the theme or if you actually want them to be captured and useless (D&D not being a good game for feeling useless doesn't help).

>4d6 drop one already limits play away from monk and paladin.
What does that mean?

i want them to escape prison immediately, but be trapped in this castle thats suffering a zombie outbreak, and (i've posted this before) scavenge things to fight off zombies and escape with.

i think i'll just go with it, its only going to be one day of itemless escaping. maybe i'll let them have most of their stuff in an inn somewhere anyway for session 2.

So I'm about to start a game with a group of friends (3 Players + DM) and the party currently consists of a Barbarian and an Undecided-but-leaning-Sorc. To round out the party, I'm thinking I need to be a healer/skillmonkey, without being wizard-tier in CC, but I'm not sure which class to go for. Any recommendations?
Also Kinda Related: How do you guys feel about the UA Monk's Path of Tranquility?

I always see this, how exactly does this work?

The answer is always fucking Bard.

Fresh off the presses. R8 h8 masturb8

a lot of stuff per race/10

>4d6 drop one already limits play away from monk and paladin
They need 3 stats, and they're capped at 20 anyway.
Those classes will get less feats, that's all.

It's meant to be for a Crystal Chronicles campaign so for the most part they'd be the only four races players choose from. Figured it'd be alright to load them up a tiny bit more due to that

Meh. too much shit per race. Players are going to forget all this stuff and then go, "Oh wait, I forgot about X ability during my last turn. Can I still activate it?"

Make it more simple. Less is more. 5e is more about RP and less about gritty crunch.

>He doesn't like Cherry, Potato and FIsh casserole every night

outright faggot bitch/10

wow rude

I like it, but yeah, maybe a little much per race. Sure, you're picking from less, but that's not really offset by giving each race more things.

Instead, I'd say give them more actual race options, as while there were only 4 playable races, there were far more races shown to exist. For example, you could make Moogles a playable race, and along with that, there was a half Lilty-half Clavat in the story so there's other possibilities.

Definitely want to see this setting work, so keep going, I'm enjoying it so far!

If you want to be a skill monkey with healing, then Bard X/Rogue 1 is the way to go. You'll be godlike at everything.

Path of Tranquility is REALLY good for healing.

I was considering half breed options but I opted not to. Was just a night's project but maybe I'll go back and revise some shit, maybe add in an option for half breeds sans Yukes

:3

Is there a reason why all warforgeds have 3 fingers and their faces look like Ironman's helmet?

What are the best or most useful cantrips? Do you prefer damage or utility cantrips?

If a goblinoid were to pick up a second non-common language, Orcish is probably the best bet as to which one it would be, but I guess a lot of goblinoids probably don't bother.

Improve bladelock, as I'm sure many before me have said. Have the weapon scale with level. At level 6 the blade is a +1, at level 14 it's a +2, ect. Add evocations for a little extra elemental damage, remove spell slots and spell lists, replace it with better evocations. i.e. a smaller pool of spell-like abilities that can be used without limit/are always on like in 3.X. Nerf EB so that it's not always the best thing to use all the time without fail, or just trade the damage for more options to add extra effects.

There are some pretty nice damage cantrips, but you don't really need to load yourself down with them-- you want maybe two at max? Utility is where it's at. I think Mold Earth might be my favorite right now, but there are so many that are a lot of fun-- I would seriously consider giving up higher-level spell slots in exchange for more utility cantrips if I could.

Obviously this where Batman-wizardry starts, so it's probably for the best that I can't, but still.

No, goblinoids and orcs hate each other.

>That picture
Exactly, why warforgeds can't have lion faces in their chest? and more human faces?, those look cool, why warforgeds can't look cool and are always the same thing? it doesnt' make sense, they can build themselves up, they are made

>
who said this? anyone?

In my opinion, one damaging cantrip is a must. Otherwise your wizard twiddles their thumb most of the time. Utility wise though, prestidigitation, mage hand, and minor illusion are king.

Why don't you fuckers start a game without that fucker?
Control freaks need to be put in their place, you're all meant to be telling a story.

What do you guys think of these changes before I get to typing and formatting?

>Clavats
Remove Iron Heart and Mediator
>Lility
Remove Iron Fisted Ruler and medium armor proficiency (or is that okay?)
>Yuke
Remove the summoning part of Yuke Weapon Bond
>Selkie
Remove Waterborne Athelete

Asked in last thread and saw you guys moved on. So question the kensai weapon thing, as a DM can I override that and say yes?

If you want, yes. DM has the ultimate call, particularly on vague ass rulings like that.

Because the other players are hopefags and expect, without any indication that is going to happen, that the other guy realizes he's wrong and people aren't having fun even after we had that argument over and over and over again that guy isn't going to change, but the group still prefers to suffer just in hopes that guy changes. I said no more and left.

No, you can't, the D&D police will arrest you, you're the GM not god.

I
Am
A
God!!!!
Fuck never mind...

But seriously would you guys be able to point out some of the classes which are shitty and I should tweak to make them actually not shit?

Good on you for leaving that shitshow. The others are retardedly optimistic, there's a time and place for that but your past experience has moved beyond it. Good luck to them I guess. I take it they don't often have games to play in?

If you don't know the rules well enough to know what you should tweak without asking, you shouldn't tweak anything.

For peeps offering suggestions for class changes, why don't you submit your feedback to Wizards, they actually seem to want to hear feedback from the public.

like the other user said, good on you
use the improved way of the four elements monk.
fix frenzy as you wish, probably at least by letting them ignore the effects of exhaustion while raging, and maybe by giving them another action to make one attack with instead of bonus action attacking, which locks berserker into using heavy weapons only.
some anons were brainstorming giving bladelocks an innvocation that raises a stat by 2 and monks an extra ASI to deal with their madness, which i think is interesting but not an accepted by the mass /5eg/ community fix.