Job system > class system

discuss.

I wouldn't consider the job system an alternative to a class system, just a set of skill kits for a classless system.

I feel like a job system is more immersive as it grounds the learning of new skills in some sort of "realism". I can picture that say, a duelist would have a hard time becoming a professional mage as both occupation require specific intensive training rather thant a "warriors can't be mages" logic

It's better than trying to turn classes from a set of broad archetypes into a makeshift job system, which class bloat tends to do.

True. And by the way, RuneQuest > WFRP

Why?

You can have both.

Jobs for setting the character's skills, and Class for setting the character's other mechanics.

Depends on what the game sets out to do.

I like it. My Targeteer is currently scraping together every damn coin he can, from whatever sources he can, so he can afford the legendary, Best-Craftsmanship weapons he needs to train as a Champion.

Having completed all his skills, and now just spending experience training his natural aptitudes.

That being said, with a Ballistic Skill of 80, which he cannot increase any more? It's pretty fucking awesome.

My favourite is burning wheels lifepath system. Like a job system but more detailed

It handles career system better, IMO.

Check out Shadows of the Demon Lord's Career System.

Not that user

Isn't RQ more about organic growth than a career system? The character gets built on careers but doesn't advance on them.

Job/skill systems are generally best for settings with a great deal of social mobility. Strict class systems are generally best for settings with clearly defined castes and secretive guilds. I have no idea what building-block class systems are really good for, but some people enjoy the mechanics for same sort of reasons that deck-building is fun.

Each character has only one career at the start of the game, that is basically a pack of starting skills(for RQ6). From then on you can spend XP to improve whatever skills your character have and model it the way you want. The way WFRP handles it, having multiple careers as the character progresses, each one with it's own limitations, feels a lot more like a class system.

>Champion

In the context of most fantasy worlds, being the Champion of a noble house or successful merchant is a job though.

Unless you're bagging on his choices, inw hich case I have no idea if it's terrible or not.

OP here.

As far as roleplaying i feel like a "job" make the whole process easier : making money makes sense , you just work. Also you are recognizable as member of society as in " that guy looks like a "trapper " rather than just a "ranger".

>Unless you're bagging on his choices, inw hich case I have no idea if it's terrible or not
Because Champion is the most boring class in the book and as shown by anons post he only took it because so he could max out his BS.

In fact user, I could already max out my ballistic skill with Targeteer alone.

I want to go into Champion because I want to be a well renowned warrior and worthy of my Clan's name, and that involves far more than maxing out my shooting capacity.
I would happily have gone for other, more outdoorsy type careers, but sadly none of those are available to me.

Unless I want to head back down to a basic career, my other options are Assassin (fuck that), Duelist (fucking limp wrists), or Sergeant (and I'm not joining the military).

I have little in the way of skill or inclination for social ability, and unless I want to start a future as a student, and then craftsman, the pursuit of martial mastery lies in my future.

Actually, I tell a lie, I can take my Ballistic Skill one higher, to 85, if I take Champion.
But really I don't give a fuck about that.

That being said, my Intelligence is pretty fucking decent after only one advance.
So perhaps an about-turn and the pursuit of Engineering studies is a better choice.

>As far as roleplaying i feel like a "job" make the whole process easier : making money makes sense , you just work. Also you are recognizable as member of society as in " that guy looks like a "trapper " rather than just a "ranger".

This. It also lets player is transition careers in a fairly easy and realistic matter. Classes are more sort of game concepts. Your career is just that, a career.