Warframe TTRPG

All memes aside. The Warframe universe and aesthetic is aces for a sci fi setting and i'm surprised that no one's tried to port it to a ruleset or make one themselves.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mrSdhkCrZvw
youtube.com/watch?v=78l8jQ0PKSU
youtube.com/watch?v=mXb8C42XJ8s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The big thing IMO is figuring out how you want to interpret the setting.

On the one hand, you could go hard on the stealth/ninja aspects, with an almost Shadowrun-esque system of extensive preparation, using various means of infiltration to get in, complete the objective and get out, with combat something you're proficient in but not something you want to use needlessly.

Or you go full on batshit space Wuxia and run it in something like Legends of the Wulin. I tend to prefer the latter, but both are legitimately interesting ways you could use the setting.

Well quads user, I think Wuxia in space is probably the most common way people play the game.

People only did stealth on Rescue and Spy missions.

That said, Legends of the Wulin is a very... hard to grasp system. I mean its easy, but its hard.

Yeah, but it's a question of how literally you take the actual gameplay. The fluff of Tenno as elite operatives and assassins is kinda at odds with the 'go into direct combat with entire armies' thing, and it could be an interesting way to go about a game.

And yeah, LotW is kind of a clusterfuck. I love the system but good god I wish the editing of the core book wasn't so utterly dreadful.

The Tenno are warriors par excellence. Trained to the fullest with all weapons, and all battlefields. In a stand alone fight, they rarely have equals, which is why their foes tend to try to drown them in numbers.

Which in turn is why they use stealth often, Its efficient. and for all their flair and skill, efficiency is important.

>The Warframe universe and aesthetic is aces for a sci fi setting

Explain to me why Warframe would be a good TTRPG WITHOUT talking about combat. Why would you want to get into the roleplaying aspect of this setting? What would character interactions be like? How would you interact with NPCs and the setting at large? How would it offer a stimulating roleplaying experience?

Divisive space politics between fragmented remnants of humanity, some clinging to the old ways, others putting their faith in profit or power, others trying to find a new way to live and be happy in a dangerous, unstable solar system.

The panhuman drama behind and beyond the Tenno's exploits is something the game doesn't touch on but I think there's enough there to make it interesting.

retcon the potato children

Why? A lot of people got mad over it, but I quite liked the reveal.

The problem is that there really isn't enough clearly stated lore. This universe has lots of potential, but the devs don't even seem particularly interested in exploring it.

That's what makes it perfect for an RPG, to me.

I hate it when everything about a setting is defined, as a player and a GM. A large part of the fun of an RPG is letting your imagination work within the rules and themes of the setting. Good RPG setting design is all about creating evocative examples and cool concepts while leaving plenty of grey areas between the defined bits to let GMs have room to work with.

Yes, definitely, but you need some kind of frame to build on. In Warframe we know pretty much nothing about the universe really. We know almost nothing about history, veeery little about factions, nothing about technology etc. They gave us cool looking things, but never bothered explaining them in any way. You would basically have to invent everything yourself, which is I guess ok if you just want to play/run a session, but would be really troublesome for writing a complete system.

No? There's quite a bit on all of those things. It's not explicitly stated, but there are lore writeups and summaries that put together quite a lot of information on all of those things.

Just refluff PF.

My fucking *god* hope you aren't serious with this bullshit.

A lot of Warframe is about traversal and movement, and few games make a big deal out of traversal and movement beyond grid-based combat. I know a few people who have tried to mod the Veeky Forums homebrew VeloCITY to accomodate Warframe's aesthetics, since movement and combat is freeform and flowing in that system.

Well PF is about big heroes doing big heroic things, and they have special feats and features unavailable to other classes.
So yeah, just refluff PF.

No. Holy crap good fucking god no.

I hope you're a troll, but it's all too possible you aren't because people still perpetuate that stupid fucking idea, even after repeated examples of trying to adapt the 3.PF formula to other genres being a total clusterfuck.

It doesn't help that Paizo are doing the exact same stupid shit with fucking Starfinder. God, it's the worst.

Well you'd have to retcon out Operators to begin with.

Why?

Because they're a shit idea.

Do you have an argument, or is that purely an expression of opinion? I like the Operators, I think they fit nicely with the lore and humanise the Tenno in a way that makes running an RPG with them actually easier.

No you wouldn't, your personal dislike of that particular lore item does not make it a necessity to remove it. They are not a shit idea, it actually makes sense taken in the context of the world.

What about a non-Tenno focused game?

That could be interesting. Agents of one of the various Syndicates perhaps.

>This mission starts.
>The tenno leads into a side room.
>Says wait there for a few minutes, they'll be back.
>Ten minutes later you get a massage from HQ congratulating you on helping the tenno complete the mission flawlessly.

Im just here to say that Mesa a best

I want to fuck that Warframe

insufficient THICC

i think someone tried to do a Legends of the Wulin Port once.

Fatframes

This is the game with the butts, isn't it?

i mean it has butts. but most games do.

S T I L L I N B E T A

Not that guy, but there are a few issues with it. Being a separate entity from your warframe removes a lot of the stakes and danger from the equation. Doesn't matter if you die since you're not really there, you're just puppeting a biotech shell. This in turn conflicts with earlier lore where Lotus specifically mentions warframes such as Mirage and Limbo being permanently killed. It also clashes with the eastern philosophy themes in the game, by making you separate from your weapon when you ought to be one with it.

War Within fixes some of these issues by letting you inhabit your warframe. Tenno still end up being children, which seems a little bit limiting to me in terms of character concepts since I'd really rather play somebody like Teshin, but it's a step forward.

Symbiote-covered thick

Also it completely kills the drama with Valkyr. Tortured Frankensteinian abomination was a good motif, and it raised interesting questions about the nature of the Tenno and the Warframes. Now that those questions are answered it just seems kinda dumb. Oh no, this disposable meat puppet got experimented on. What a tragedy.

Well, if you consider that it happened before the revelation, it means an operator was forced to experience all that torture first hand.

And given that the frames themselves do seem to have a semblance of 'personality', actually operating a Valkyr might be an unsettling experience, the frame permanently tainted with that rather brutal origin.

Not anymore actually. They finally took the word "Beta" out of the title.

Yeah, that's why The Matrix is such a shit movie, where's the danger if you aren't really there?

Except the operator would and does survive the death of the shell, you thick fuck.

If they're woke to know the sever the Transference link maybe, but what about the dreamers that don't realize the frame isn't a real boy?

The operators not being able to die honestly feels like a good thing to me. Death is often a cheap consequence anyway.

It lets you focus more on the cost of failure. After all, in an RPG you can't just retry after a wipe. You lose your opportunity to hunt down the boss, the information is lost, the prisoner is executed or successfully interrogated, etc.

>This in turn conflicts with earlier lore where Lotus specifically mentions warframes such as Mirage and Limbo being permanently killed.

Not really. It's strongly implied that the Warframes the Tenno use are homunculae based of some primordial Warframe. The original Warframe can die.

I'll admit there are some flaws, but it's not shit, it's just flawed which isn't inherently a bad thing, just means there's room for improvement.

Nevermind it's fucking retarded to expect death to have value in an MMO hacknslash where you can LITERALLY come back to life by shoving some money into your screen.

> canonically 12 year old kids acting out a power fantasy
> aces
sure

Uh. More like ageless neotenic psychics, but sure?

m80 pay attention to patches, revives got changed from 4/day to 4/mission, and no more buying more with plat

Right, but that's game mechanics. It doesn't make the lore have any less stakes if death is a thing.

I mean, you don't see WoW characters respawning at the nearest cemetery, do you?

more like 13-16 physically, actual age undetermined, but yeah, and what's so wrong with that?

its been at least 500+ years.

I think we all know the real reason Veeky Forums hates the operators.

______________too old_____________

Hahaha, Pure Gold user Pure Gold
Yeah, could be more, lore is still not clear.

they should have at least been actual cripples

>A game with a lot of focus on intense, fast-paced melee combat and gunplay
>Anything like "you will stand in your five-foot square and LIKE IT, non-wizard" Pathfinder

Being able to fight like a Tenno in a tabletop setting would, to me, include holding up Pathfinder's entire combat chapter and firearm rules, writing down "don't do ANY OF THIS," and setting the rules on fire for good measure.

How about ___4e___?

Maybe if you use monk as a baseline, that thing is hella mobile.

That and maybe thief.

If grid based is fine with the group, I'd personally run it in Strike!

>The Warframe universe and aesthetic is aces for a sci fi setting

Also butts.

Yea for some reason Warframe seems to fly under the radar for a lot of people; maybe because its a free to play game.

You dont need to make rules every fucking time you play a videogame or see a tv show, its autistic

t. Freeform RPer

You know what? there are literally FOUR threads right now on the front page that are "how can I make this shitty thing I just saw for the first time into a tabletop game"

Its not creative

>how can I adapt an IP into a playable tabletop game format and run games in the setting
>not creative
I like DnD too, user, but sometimes you gotta branch out a bit

here's your (you) good sir! Spend it wisely.

May you slide eternal, shiny and prime.

Its not creative because its the same thing every 10-15 year old reddit user does with every animu and cartoon they watch.

A E S T H E T I C

No.

green is not a creative color

witnessed
youtube.com/watch?v=mrSdhkCrZvw

So lets start compling what we know about warframes, tenno and the orokin so that we have something to work off of.

--spoilers ahead---

First off.

Warframes

Surrogate combat bodies delevoped for use for the tenno. They are accessed and controlled through a method called Transference. Transference allows someone to put their consciousness into a new form using void technologies. Tenno, being partially void creatures, can do this with little risk to themselves. Humans besides the Tenno can do this as well, However it requires immense mental concentration and is physically draining. In addition there is an extreme risk of the process leaving you completely divorced from your original body, either trapping your contentiousness in the new body, or in somewhere completely different. This also can distort one's viewpoint and memories, as with regular dreaming, and extended periods of Transference can leave you thinking your original body never existed.

(This is implied to be what happened to the Stalker. being a "Low Soldier" that gained access to a warframe via a Somatic link until he got stuck in it, forgetting mostly who he was.)

Warframes are made from a surrogate human host, encased in a infested frame molded with metal and other materials.

>mag going magneto
my dick

What we know about

The Tenno.

The children of Zariman Flight 10-0 are the results of an "accident" involving void travel. The entire ship was shunted into the void for an extended period of time, all the adults on board went insane, however the children became acclimated to the void's terrible energies. The learned to harness the void to a rudimentary degree in order to survive.

When the Orokin "Rescued" the children their powers were extremely unstable, and barely controllable in real space. So the Archimedian Margulis had the Tenno put into Somatic stasis pods with and allowed the Tenno to have surrogate bodies that could focus and control their abilites, albiet to a lesser degree. All memories of the Zariman Incident were wiped from their minds, as well as any records of its, or the children's existence. The less of a chance they had of remembering the horrible events they faced, the more likely they could be controlled and harnessed to fight the invading force from beyond the outer terminus, The Sentient.

They spent a great amount of time warring with the sentient. Long enough to form clans, schools of thought and traditions, and most importantly, long enough they were even children at all.

This Campaign against the Sentient continued until the final victory. The tenno were then gathered before the Seven Silent Emperors of the Orokin to be honored, For reasons unknown, they rebelled. killing the Emperors. This triggered the start of The Collapse of the Orokin Empire.

>Wuxia in space is probably the most common way people play the game.
Probably because the stealth mechanics are anemic.

>There's quite a bit on all of those things
No, there is not.

I wouldn't say anemic. It exists, it's functional. It's just grotesque and best ignored.

>your personal dislike of that particular lore item does not make it a necessity to remove it.
It does exactly that in the context of this thread

youtube.com/watch?v=78l8jQ0PKSU
This is what a stealth mission looked like a few years ago.
youtube.com/watch?v=mXb8C42XJ8s

Because it's bad.

No it's not creative it's the first thought of anyone who plays PnP whenever they find a new thing they like.

>It exists, it's functional. It's just grotesque and best ignored.
Warframe in a nutshell.

What's maddening is that Warframe is one of the only modern games with the aesthetic it has. High-flying melee combat and gunplay in space isn't really done by anyone else right now.

I think it might be easier and more interesting to have it so that you play as basically anything that's not the tenno or the sentients.
Like a joint operation of grineer, corpus, and maybe even infested or a stalker against tenno or sentients.

>Now let us all agree to never be creative again.

Right, Lets actually do some fucking work here! lets start by...

well fuck.

Fat in all the right places ;·

>no one's tried to port it to a ruleset or make one themselves.

I tried. Gave up when it came to statting fucking everything, as you can see. I also played a short adventure using VeloCITY; it works surprisingly well as-is and I recommend trying it.

>I also played a short adventure using VeloCITY; it works surprisingly well as-is and I recommend trying it.
Can you explain further?

This is confusing as all hell. Why the hell are the core mechanics back in chapter 8 and 10?

You're using 1d100 for skill checks, but your using 1d20 for combat?

Assuming you mean how we used the system. Blue Sky was also skeptical when I said the system worked pretty much as-is.

The stats pretty much cover everything a Tenno would need, except for computers and hacking. We ended up rolling it into Acumen, because as it's presented by the game it's a rapid-paced puzzle, and we weren't sure much how to use it otherwise. Still not sure about the validity of that from a balance/design point of view.

For Movement and stuff like that, rather than giving Tenno ridiculous numbers and risk breaking the system, we gave everyone else really low numbers, and just accepted in our mental pictures that the scale was simply different.

Finally, where guns are concerned, on page 61 it says:
>(except for
guns and the like – those attacks not influenced directly by stats will have a flat result value attached
to them instead of a stat to roll)
Sooo we just statted out the guns everyone built against a baseline damage (which we typically gave to the enemies). And then as it says in Equipment you just give them Perks and Penalties, like a machine gun having really low damage but every consecutive round it ramps up significantly.

Hard to remember the small stuff anymore since that was at least a couple years ago, though. Did that help any?

Sounds fair. There's been a major new update to the system last month. Would that make running Warframe any cleaner?

I guess I missed it, and if he made a thread it's down now. You'd probably have to judge for yourself.

Not him, but got a download for that?