Things You Wish People Were Nicer To

>d12's

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ye_dAge-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You are not fat, dear. Your are just a supple die.

d12's are cute. I do wish there was more that was easy to do with them, but their dice size and numerical range is just kinda not that useful.

-first time GMs
-bad players who do at least try
-captured enemies
-NPCs in general
-War Picks

>Captured enemies
Yeah in both campaigns I've run, there has been molestation in each. And I was playing with different people each time.

>NPC's
first campaign I ran (5e Starter set one) The group met some kid who knew a secret entrance to some hideout. They didn't stop the child coming with them, and the child ended up getting badly injured. When they took him back to the kid's mum, all she saw was 4 bloodsoaked people carrying her injured son, so she slapped one of them in the face (a restrained response I felt) and immediately the player who got slapped wanted to try and kill her. Her sheet (starter set default) had her as either Lawful Good or Neutral Good, and her background was Folk Hero. Thank fuck I never have to play with them again.

>d12
>Platonic solid
>superior highly composite number (the only other one with the same status is the d6, the king of dice)
>The number basis of clocks
>Sublime number

>People still use d10s hundredfold more. WHY?! Yall base-10 using sheeples! You should bow down to the superiority of the d12!

>all she saw was 4 bloodsoaked people carrying her injured son

Isn't the natural assumption, considering that they're bringing the child back home, that some disaster struck and the party ultimately saved his life?

Everyone.

Cats

New players. I like to use HarmonQuest as an example, because I really hated how Aubrey Plaza played a TTRPG for her first time. Bullshitted her characters capabilities, made stuff up on the spot to resolve problems, made stuff up on the spot to cause problems for the party, just kind of made it all about her.

But she did have fun, and the group just went with it. It was Aubrey's first time playing and it would have been boring to spend the time going over why she couldn't do things instead of just letting it happen. Saved by the fact that she was a guest and not joining as a core member.

Which is the point I guess. If you have someone new like that who doesn't really "get" how to play, instead of making them study a bunch of rules and stuff focus on getting them to have fun. Do a one shot or something, ignore any conflict that would take more than two sentences to explain.

Because if they learn that it's fun before anything else, then you can teach them how to play with the rules, and make a character that fits into the game instead of stands out from it.

Shout out to Kumail Nanjiani who was the kind of new player I dream of getting. Doesn't try to be the one resolving all the problems, and played really well off of the party. Kept his characters background and motivations simple and flexible, no Aubrey "Rah I hate men. Totes into girls, gonna hit on the Barbarian chick LOL". Used his RP to con the other players out of a bunch of Gold, and a handjob.

>4 adults don't stop a child from following them into almost certain danger
>the child is injured, and these 4 people are soaked in blood, could be anyone's
>the response is "Thank you for saving my son" and not "why the fuck did you take my son with you to such a dangerous place"

The point I was making was more the fact that the mum overreacted/underreacted (depending on your perspective) slapped someone in a panic, and that player's response was immediately attempt to kill them, despite nothing on their character sheet even suggesting they'd do that

d12s are the most aesthetically pleasing isometric platonic solid.

I want Ribbon to bully my dick

Witnesses.
Seriously, I can understand the whole Dirty Harry/loose cannon/bad cop routine, but when you're just trying to find out what someone saw, let someone else handle the questioning.

Case in point, I ran a session of a supernatural special ops campaign based on Dog Soldiers.
A team of British troops training in Scotland had been attacked by werewolves, and the PCs, part of a multi-national task force, were sent to investigate.

Now, the only witness they had was a 19 year-old rookie who was understandably traumatized from seeing his friends ripped to pieces. He'd been practically catatonic for the last week, and had only just started speaking again.

Now, initially, I didn't plan on having them speak to him, but the face RP'd his conversation with the kid's MO so well, I took it as an opportunity to drop a few cryptic clues.

And so in bursts our resident 'badass', shouting and threatening the kid, accusing him of being a coward and a traitor for managing to get away from the attack.
Needless to say, they were ejected from the hospital pretty damn quick with no answers.

>4 adults don't stop a child from following them into almost certain danger

That's not something the mother would know without asking them, which the players could have explained in a number of ways. While an emotional slap isn't the worst thing in the world, it just comes off as a somewhat strange response.

And while trying to kill the NPC was an extreme response, in the player's shoes it's kind of where you pushed them into. Letting a child follow them is not immediately a bad idea depending on the tone of the game, and players often turn to the DM for clues as to what kind of game he's running. In a more light-hearted game, there are certain meta-rules that protect things like children. If it's a game where a child is at risk, the characters, in game, would recognize that it's not a good idea for the child to follow them, and it's important for the DM to at the very least "suggest the obvious," because what's "obvious" is not really universal.

After getting hit by a guilt trip that comes from not understanding the tone you were going for and the rules of your world (would good characters let a child follow them into a dangerous place?), they get attacked by a villager, who has no reason to assume that this blood-soaked, highly dangerous adventurer who's in a foul mood would not reciprocate. It's like running up to a lion and expecting it to be tame.

I think the player, in a fit of frustration, just wanted to remind you that even though you know it says that she's good on her character sheet, it's not fair for NPC's to use that assumption in order to humiliate her character. No one likes to be slapped, especially by someone who believes they can do so with impunity.

>Things You Wish People Were Nicer To
Each other.

The Tau.

>If you have someone new like that who doesn't really "get" how to play, instead of making them study a bunch of rules and stuff focus on getting them to have fun.
If more people understood and could do this, there would be a lot more good roleplayers in this hobby to balance out all the asshats and megalomaniacs. You know, people you could actually talk to about something other than crit chances, or go out in public with without being embarrassed to be seen around them.

>someone slapped me
>I must murder them
Lawful good, folks.

If I had my way, each of the non-physical damage types in D&D would always use one type of dice:

- Acid: d6
- Cold: d8
- Lightning: d12
- Fire: d6
- Force: d4
- Necrotic: d8
- Poison: d6
- Radiant: d8
- Thunderous: d10

I made a character who used a whip and a war pick, and literally got bullied for it.

Try playing Blade of the Iron Throne RPG. D12 dicepool Sword and Sorcery RPG That I've been hacking into a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon TRPG

What alignment is an NPC that acts using meta-knowledge?

I've had a lot of guest players, since I play in the garage of a former drug dealer. That's how we usually handled it. Some drug addled moron (I use this as a term of endearment) would show up, I'd let them fuck around for a while, and we'd all have fun.

...who knows? That's not an alignment question.

I use a system like this for temporary elemental infusions on weapons, except I swap the dice around for poison and force.

Also people gotta stop bullying rogues, they're only shitters 80% of the time guys

Varg

On the count of crime of slapping and being a confused anger mum. I sentence you to summary Execution

>lawful good fags
just an excuse away

No lie, d12 is my favorite die

>Needless to say, they were ejected from the hospital pretty damn quick with no answers.
It could be worse, believe me

I eventually said oturight to certain group that either 2 of the 4 memebers will stop doing aggressive shit for no apparent reason, or they are going to search for new GM.

Their standard tactic for getting intel from people
- Be aggressive asshole
- Shout, threaten, outright torture
- Be ass-blasted when people aren't nice to them or unhelpful
- Throw a tantrum OOC about NPCs that make their lives hard

Guess what - I've got a new group.

other players and their opinions

i mean, i'm no hippie, but i respect most other gamers, i despite MTG, but it's income to my gamestore, so i let it be.
then you started getting really aggressive assholes who lash out at non-MTG players. and because i don't play, i'm suddenly shit?

wtf?

yugioh is by far worse

Than neither is the question of the player getting upset about an NPC.

They didn't attack the NPC because they were lawful good. They attacked them because they were frustrated, in part because the DM was hoping to use alignment as a chain and leash, with his NPCs acting accordingly.

Well Yeah. She was obviously a terrible whore mother. Letting her whore spawn run around all day with no supervision. fuck thatcunt

Yeah she was obviously a witch about to eat the kid! i mean really who slaps the hero?

I like how the Diablo games handled elemental statistics, for example fire would be 5d4 or something, whereas lightning would be 1d20. Essentially lightning had a bigger spread, and it helped give extra uniqueness to each element in the form of numbers

I wonder, have any GMs here ever had the PC's love of torture bite them in the ass?
You know, the victim actually not knowing anything and just telling them what they want to hear, or their friends coming back for a word about their treatment?

Where are you getting this idea that the DM only did this because the character was LG? The DM only included that detail to show how ridiculous he believed the player's actions to be. It would be an unreasonable response from a neutral character, much less a LG Folk Hero (who is considered a folk hero because he supports the peasants to an extraordinary degree.)

>I wonder, have any GMs here ever had the PC's love of torture bite them in the ass?

I do this all the time. Disinformation pisses my players off. They always bitch that it's "unrealistic" and not "how torture/interrogation works" as if they're experts.

It's gotten a few of their characters killed too.

I do it each time when players start to torture randomly picked NPCs for no other reason than "this is a cool thing to do".
At this point my players know that if a tortured person gives them bullshit and/or reverse questions, then they've fucked up so bad they are one step away from Rock Falls

youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ye_dAge-4

While agree thoroughly with your post, he couls have just bitchslapped her back.

>please stop, I can only get SO erect.jpg

People who play RPGs that they don't personally like. Veeky Forums is a bunch of shitters these days who would rather destroy someone else's nice things than have and be content with their own.

Took me two re-reads to get the point of your post, user.

Sorry, I'm phoneposting and didn't pay any attention to editing.

That's all of humanity. Ever heard of tall poppy syndrome?

PC family members/backstory related characters. Not exactly a problem with my GM (my PC's parents did get caught in the cross fire from shenanigans, but it fit the story) but I've heard they tend to get picked on for cheap drama points.

GW

>spoiler
I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing's happening.

The next time they complain, cite the CIAs reports that torture doesn't actually get you much Intel. What it DOES get you is someone who will:
1.) Never willingly assist you from that point forward. And will be more likely to interfere in your goals in the future.
2.) Someone who will tell you whatever they think will make you stop (IE. What you wanted to hear, regardless of the truth)
Interrogation is a very complex topic, that requires years of training, and a lot of knowledge the average player/DM won't know to do properly. Tell them flat out that torture doesn't work, and if they're good aligned you're characters, that they shouldn't resort to it at all. And more creative solutions will get them far more actionable Intel (for example, creating a fake blacksite and using a plant [a party member they haven't seen yet?] To get them to share information to someone they believe they can trust. Or similar mind games)
>Mfw my Rifts character has Psychology and Interrogation as skills but has yet to get the opportunity to use them

It depends HOW they act upon it. That's like asking, "What alignment is an NPC who acts using knowledge of cephalopods?"

Alternatively, just play them Reserviour Dogs scene, where they discuss efficiency of tortures.

If anything, idiots who use torture in the first place are more willing to trust a stupid (no offense, this is a great film, but you getting the concept) movie than actual report on the situation backed by decades of experience.

Best Girl: The Army

Not even a Warhammer player, but waifu-faggotry is a big no-no for me and one of those things I can't accept, no matter what. If you are using waifu references or best girl as arguments, you are on the same tier as furfags (as in literal fags) for me.

I am going to get a waifu just to spite you you tremendous faggot.

Be my guest, like I care. As long as I don't have to deal with you at the table, as far as I'm concerned you don't even exist.

I've been in your threads. I'm still willing to offer input about the Mystery Dungeon part of PMD.

spikes

Get the FUCK out of this thread Dr. Wily!!!

NPCs

>sees a massive, heavily armed, obviously incredibly dangerous man soaked in blood
>slaps the shit out of him for endangering her son
This is hilarious and that woman deserves to be immediately slaughtered for literally slapping someone who obviously just killed someone or something in savage combat.

If a person in armor carrying a fucking gore-encrusted weapon walked up to you and pushed your injured son towards you, would your immediate inclination be to slap them and berate this potentially homicidal lunatic for daring to endanger your child? Or would your first inclination be to put your child behind you and thank them profusely while trying to get away from them as quickly as possible?

Ribbon a cute.

I wish spikes were nice to Mega Man.

>captcha: SANTA L'HOPITAL

Fuck you.

Is it just me or do d12s roll the furthest out of the standard polyhedrals?

>things you wish people were nicer to
>implying making people nicer will solve the root problem

All of the evils which infest Man stem from behaviors and instincts inherent to all animal life.

There will be no peace on Earth until it is scoured clean of the last bacterium.

Go home Lysandre.