/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

RIP Cadia Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/lfbawnl8buxaoc3

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/vyv56zze9m828d2

Magos Belisarius Cawl has returned after 10,000 years to Cadia, at the head of an alliance with the Dark Eldar to support Imperial efforts at Cadia. What is the strangest alliance you've made in game, and would it have made sense in lore before Fall of Cadia?

>Magos Belisarius Cawl has returned after 10,000 years to Cadia, at the head of an alliance with the Dark Eldar to support Imperial efforts at Cadia.
>The grey knights are led by a half marine half magnus shard monstrosity

"no"

Nu-canon not true canon. It should be a bannable offense, or at least shunnable, to anyone who claims GW's works are canon. Only FFG is the true source of canon now.

I disbelieve your assertion. Can I get a citation?

Gathering Storm: Fall of Cadia QA on GW's twitch. The Black Templars, Sisters, and Mechanicum made a deal with the Dark Eldar to use the webway to get to Cadia in time for Abbadon's black crusade.

Oh.
My.
God Emperor.

What are they even thinking? We AoS now, boys?

That is absolutely fucking retarded. Holy shit, fuck you GW. Rape the corpse of the game I love some more, why don't you you fucking faggots.

>Dark eldar not fucking over imperium

They won't. They made a deal with the Incubi for guidance, and GW said those guys never break a promise. So the Imperium will be perfectly okay because protagonist power.

Well, it's not exactly like the Dark Eldar want Chaos to win.

I'm making an armored regiment for only war. Is there any purpose to the russ variants beyond the basic russ? It has such good damage and capabilities all around that you're just hurting yourself taking an exterminator, executioner, and so on

...I really don't see how this is at all outlandish. It honestly fits entirely in line with what I'd expect something wild from 40k to happen. Like, it's not even out of character; DE don't like Chaos any more, and they honestly look DOWN on the Imperium but that's just racial snobbery. They raid them cus they need slaves, not any sort of intrinsic hatred.

It perfectly suits the DE purposes to shuttle these fuckers to fight Chaos.

>Black Templars and Sisters of Battle
>Two of the most pious, xenophobic factions in the empire
>Cutting a deal with an alien race that routinely captures and tortures Imperial citizens in the most horrific ways

I bet the Emperor would be thrilled.

I think a temporary alliance with xenos so they could fight the Great Enemy is the LEAST of the things the Emperor would be thrilled at the Imperium with in the 41st Millennium.

Shitty nufluff aside, anyone got any ideas for stellar anomalies for RT.
I got two:
>A temporal warp rift that just vomits lost planets and ships and hulks into the system
>A giant pillar of fire .25 light years in diameter and 2 light years high that heat the outer cauldron. Who knows what's powering it or why it's there or how it formed

>The mating nebula of the Viod Whales
>The Null Zone a place where the currents of the Warp stop entirely

>Sander's Folly, a Dauntless light cruiser caught in a time loop of its last 19hrs.
>Every 19hrs Sander's Folly undergoes an almost impossible chain reaction that sets them backwards in their time loop by 19hrs
>They have been doing this since approximately the 39th millennium
>Something always causes the exact chain reaction in the warp drive
>Only very few members of the crew will realise and almost never at the same time
>It's like Groundhog Day but with thousands of deaths

A few in my games
>A star in a dead system that burns greenish-black and releases a low, sullen heat. Dead and hulked ships lost to the warp drift into the system edge and translate back into realspace with alarming frequency. The Imperium has established a breaker yard in the system, and voidsmen are convinced the entire region is horrible luck
>A solar system with five suns orbiting a black hole, tearing each other apart in an endless stellar murder-dance. The entire solar system is basically nothing but asteroid belts, gravity riptides, and solar flares.
>A white-green star that outputs outrageous amounts of hard radiation for no apparent reason despite the verdant biospheres on its planets. Visitors die of rad poisoning within days, the native life has zero issues with it
>A globular nebula with a yellow outer region and a bright green core. Dubbed "Da Eye o' Gork" by orks and turned into their home base in the region, despite having no planets inside it to use as a home base.

I run my game in the Tiji Sector, and I immediately fell in love with "The Scar."

This string of dead stars just outside the East Tiji Sector was once a thriving sector, complete with all the comforts of Imperial civilization. Nothing lives there now. Hundreds of stars went supernova simultaneously - as if their energy was ripped away from them. The resultant shockwaves annihilated almost all life in the sector. Almost. Isolated pockets struggle to escape, but with such mass destruction, they can only hope for a quick death. Despite the quadrillions of deaths, multiple interests all pick through the rubble, if there's even anything left of value.

Its origins may be humorous, but the fallout is an incredible place to run survival horrror and mystery games, and find things that somebody would never really expect. It's kind of, how deep will you dig before you uncover something you shouldn't have?

>>It's like Groundhog Day but with thousands of deaths
You win today's internets!

>Nu-canon not true canon
I like this differentiation - true canon being all that has gone before, nu-canon being the shitmarring of the grimderp. Because this shitis absofuckinglutely retarded.

Is it possible for a rogue trader to also be the void master? I know that it's supposed to be a standin for Age of Sail ships where the captain might not actually know the technical details of how to sail his ship, but I'd like to be hands on and actually directly control my vessel..

It's not impossible. It's your ship. Who's going to say no if you want to fly it? The guy you just fired out the air lock for saying no?

>its origins may be humorous
What are its origins?

Well, I mean, is it even viable at all? I suspect I'm the only one in my group that's interested in void master, but I don't want to just up and deny it when I'll just suck at it.

If I recall correctly, the Scar was created when a bunch of Squats were taken to the necron celestial orrery as guests, and used the ancient machine to rip the energy from a bunch stars to power an impromptu rock concert. Those broken stars became the Scar. I'd have to check again, though. The exact details escapes me. Still, what was important was the end result, which was near perfect for my DH2 game.

>the fucking black legion pouring out of the eye.
>Turning down help

Against foes such as this, any weapon at hand.

That's what I meant. A desperate alliance to fight the fucking Traitor Legions would not be high on the Big E's list of things to be mad at his Imperium for.

Ask your GM for elite advances

>blow up stars to power a rock concert

I can't tell if that's the dumbest or the most metal 40k thing I ever heard

>Black Legion invades Cadia
>Black Templars and Sister's of Battle get there in time
>Ork's see huge mass of people, call a WAAAGH! on Cadia
>Tyranids come because biomass and "NOMNOMNOM"
>Necrons just sit back and laugh

Would this be better then what's probably going to happen (the sacking of Cadia, or Cadia being saved in the nick of time), or am I retarded. Probably retarded.

>Cadia being saved in the nick of time
I don't know, man. We thought they'd do the same to the Space Yiff's planet, and then Magnus went and legdropped it.

You've got a point Satan. Maybe they're going the same route as WF and Chaos will win.

They'll win at Cadia, to break the stalemate. For better or for worse the lore is finally moving forward. They're not going to AoS it, though; 40k is too much of a cash cow to do that to. But a breath of fresh air after what, 20 years of stagnation? Shit's gonna get shook up.

I hope some crazy shit happens. I also hope the nids get a little more love in the new lore.

The battle cannon is actually not that great against other tanks unless you're shooting at the rear armour(3d10+10 at pen 8 vs armor in the 30-40 range equals little to no damage), and the lascannon is limited to shooting at targets in front of you. Vanguisher is better if you're tank hunting, and demolisher is better if you have limited engagement range(like in an urban battlefield). Executioner likewise looks like it would be better against other tanks, assuming limited engagement range. The base Leman Russ is the best generalist, but the variants are better at specific roles.

And the tank hunter doctrine. There is no reason not to take it if you plan to fight other vehicles.

I mean anti armor doctrine, tank hunter is a talent you get from it along with a special effect.

Nah, Chaos won WF because they were the fan favorite. 40k fans are pretty heavily Imperium sided, much to the BL writers chagrin. Chaos will win Cadia (maybe another Daemon Primarch?) but lose the space battle (because that match is apparently canon as fuck). Chaos will start to push out, shit will hit the fan, some of the Loyalist Primarchs will make an appearance (because 30k is selling well and everyone seems to like being able to field their Primarch) and that'll be the new stalemate.

It will at least be a DIFFERENT stalemate. The Imperium reacting to Chaos and squashing their attempts to proceed on their campaign is still better than Chaos being bottlenecked into uselessness.

Abaddon still a bitch, though.

Oh shit I can't tell what's irony and what's not anymore.

Did you actually like it?

Of course. Abaddon is always a bitch.

we made a deal with a kroot warsphere once, but dark eldar? unthinkable.

Is there a mass statblock repository for enemies, similar to the mass armoury in the homebrew megafolder, or am I going to have to go through the various books for stats and/or roll them from scratch?

On that, what is "average" in DH2e? I suspectaround 20-25 though I'm pretty sure in 1e it was 30. Also, what do you guys think of giving NPCs homeworld bonuses (like a knife-weilding Hiver ignoring the panicking crowd to run up and start gutting you, a Death Worlder being hell to ambush, or a Feral Worlder using a primitive weapon and ruining your day)?

A question for future-proofing my current game, as I am a noob: How do you guys introduce a new player/a new character for someone who's died without it being jarring? Sure, they could be sent in as a replacement/backup by the Inquisitor, but what if he's hands off or you're out of contact? In those cases... I mean, it's not like the 'Quiz just picks anyone. An exceptional person in a survival situation, maybe?

Anyway, I've taken up enough space and time. Merry Christmas for Western Australia, where it's to be a warm-but-not-too-hot 32℃/90℉ (well, 89.6 but ssh). How do those of you in the northern hemisphere deal with the cold, anyway? Must be unpleasant.

*From Western Australia

Dammit me, get it right.

>A question for future-proofing my current game, as I am a noob: How do you guys introduce a new player/a new character for someone who's died without it being jarring? Sure, they could be sent in as a replacement/backup by the Inquisitor, but what if he's hands off or you're out of contact? In those cases... I mean, it's not like the 'Quiz just picks anyone. An exceptional person in a survival situation, maybe?

Asking the player to generate a new acolyte from the current planet that the PCs come across next session. PCs should always be building contacts anyway, the new character should be written and played in such a way to favour making their companionship permanent.

Alright, here's what I think is the final version of a regiment I've been (sporadically) working on for a while.

Meet the Salusian 1st regiment, the Gremlyns.

>Home World
Post-Cataclysmic
>Commanding Officer
Circumspect
>Doctrines
Guerilla Regiment
Demolitionists
Sappers
>Drawback
The Few
>Additional Kit
9-70 Entrenching Tool, Chrono, Accordion Wire, Mantrap, Tube Charge (x2), Demolition Charge, Knife

The Salusian regiments aren't quite as famed as other, more storied armies. There is a very, very good reason for this.

They are all, to a greater or lesser degree, insane.

Born to the death world of Salus, those who managed to survive the horrors spawned within that irradiated wasteland are haunted by the cries of a dead world. An echo persists in the warp from the day Salus burned, carried by every living thing that walks its surface. Whatever it was that ancient man slew (for it was man that burned Salus that day), its influence lingers still. Salus may well have burned for the last time when it was rediscovered millenia later, were it not for two extenuating circumstances.

First, Salus was home to ancient manufactorums, around which human survivors still clung to life.

Second, Salus contained a wealth of plant and animal life ripe for study by the Biologis Magos that found it.

Because of these two special conditions, the Inquisition risked war with the Mechanicus if it were to destory Salus. Thus, out of political necessity, the world was allowed to exist, with travel restricted to all but those hand-selected by the Mechanicus. The denizens of Salus have since settled rather comfortably into their new role in the galaxy, serving both as guides for the Mechanicus and as tithes for the Imperial Guard. Due to the nature of Salus, however, a limited number of Guard regiments are tithed, meaning that any losses to the regiment are difficult to replace.

(Con't)

Regardless, the Gremlyns (named after a lesser daemon within the old Mechanicus faith, since renounced by the Mars canon) have gained a reputation among the informed for being excellent engineers and superb saboteurs. Using the training they received hiding from the horrors that stalk Salus, they delight in aiding their allies and confounding their enemies, unseen all the while. The goal is not just to kill their prey.

The goal is to break them.

Legends passed down within the regiment tell of Koln Perie, a glorious bastard that downed a warboss by slaving a melta bomb to his favorite shoota's trigger. Another tell of a company that managed to destabilized a Tau outpost to such a ridiculous degree that the Commander was so enraged that he marched his entire Cadre into the forests surrounding it...leaving his command center exposed and ripe for a bombing.

Almost as pleasurable to the Gremlyns is to help their fellow man do their jobs. As insufferable their compulsive stealth can be at times, few can dispute having such a tech-savvy lot around to help with fortifications and repairs. Forces that serve beside them sometimes leave with equipment in BETTER condition than they had before. This enthusiasm is met with mixed grumbling and praise from the Mechanicus, but the regimental Techpriests are used to covering for their sometimes overzealous companions.

Commissariat lifespan within the Gremlyns is only rivaled by lifespans of Catachan commissars, with all but the truly beloved encountering tragic and unavoidable accidents with startling regularity. Ministorum priests, while not as accident prone as commissars, generally steer clear of a regiment that uses as much subterfuge and stealth as the Gremlyns. Techpriests are almost always welcome; in fact, some of the greatest heroes of the regiment are Techpriests that have adapted to the crude ingenuity of their charges.

(con't)

A regiment of mad geniuses, a guardsman of average intelligence within the Gremlyns is still far above average for the Imperium at large. The true geniuses, such as the Gremlyns' CO Harun Morn, are capable of planning out entire campaigns ahead of time, watching as the pieces fall into place and cackling all the while. Random and illogical as their actions may seem at the time, one can rest assured that there is a method to the madness, and the that method will probably hurt. Hours spent slaving over a single patch of desert are validated when an enemy convey stumbles into a mess of snare traps and mines.

Lovers of the classics, the Gremlyns are masters of using simple traps to deal with complicated problems. Even the truly skeptical are made to believe when a crisis suit falls into a pit trap filled with mines and ends up buried whole for its trouble. The Gremlyns still tell stories of the look on Inquisitor Iesha's face when she was shown pictures of a Warboss suspended by an accordian wire snare trap. More often than not, they destabilize their enemies weapons and use them as improvised explosives, destroying heretical technology and killing The Emperor's enemies in one hilarious stroke.

The Gremlyns care little for glory. Their work is largely its own reward; if no one else does, THEY remember it. As a result, their lack of notoriety is of little concern to them. Those who do know of the Gremlyns have likely served with them before, and know ow devastating their...unique tactics can be.

Whether serving behind friendly or enemy lines, when the Gremlyns are present and accounted for, someone is going to have a very, very bad day.

>Is there a mass statblock repository for enemies, similar to the mass armoury in the homebrew megafolder, or am I going to have to go through the various books for stats
Hit the books, user. I wish someone had a MM built.
>On that, what is "average" in DH2e? I suspectaround 20-25 though I'm pretty sure in 1e it was 30. Also, what do you guys think of giving NPCs homeworld bonuses (like a knife-weilding Hiver ignoring the panicking crowd to run up and start gutting you, a Death Worlder being hell to ambush, or a Feral Worlder using a primitive weapon and ruining your day)?
25-30 is average for a trained human.
20 is average for a peasant. A skilled human will have a 40 in one or two attributes, and the skills enough to do that job.
You don't give npcs their homeworld bonus?

>Hit the books
Pretty much what I was expecting...

>stats
Thanks.

>NPC Homeworld bonus
Nope. Well, not until now, I guess. Call it a bad influence from the previous forever GM, who often forgot about modifiers completely. Yes, that bad.

>Pretty much what I was expecting...
It hurts, bro, but depending on what you want, it can be easy, or nearly impossible to find shit.
>I prefer to use Deathwatch rules for D/Eldar for example
>Well, not until now, I guess
Go forth and do. Remember one thing: The situation should be the challenge, not the GM's carefully balanced encounter.
I've had players steamroll combat because they were against a bunch of loser gangers, and almost killed them all when a survivor of the ganger posse went to get the boys.
All of them.
Cue players in a bar when 4 autocarriages full of smokeheads and 2 technicals roll up outside with big stubbers in the back to hose the entire place down.

Thank you for your sage advice, venerable user :P

Seriously though, thanks. Any other tips? Might as well pump you for info.

For DH?
Decide right away if you want planet hopping or not.
Offer the party downtime, remember that DH investigations can and do take YEARS to complete.
If running DH2e, make use of the Influence system in the players favor. Present npcs that they can schmooze, allow for wheeling and dealing, make them owe people and people owe them, and for Emprah's sake, don't be as mindlessly tightfisted with Influence bumps as the book suggests!
Do not ignore party composition, and remember that Sororitas/Mutants/Psykers/Radicals all tend to push the game in certain directions. I've seen issues come to a head in the past.
Going further with the above, a investigation should be challenging, but it should make use of the warband's core capabilities. You don't send legbreakers to kiss ass at a noble's ball, and you don't send a team of pencil pushers into a combat zone. You can, however, throw mixed groups at both, and let them sort it out creatively.
Do make some overtures to keep groups together ic. It is easy for a warband to split off into small cliques, especially when strong personalities come up, or worse, for pcs to be off alone doing their thing because only they can.
Make sure everyone is on board with the themes you are presenting, and any permutations to playstyle via houserules, homebrew and such.
Be reasonably open to custom content and content from other line, so long as it passes muster.
Do not fear character competence. The pcs are gonna get good at shit, and at least basically competent at the baseline concerns. The desire to throw down roadblocks or ramp up the difficulty is as present as the desire to make things easier, resist both. This also goes with items/gear and talents.
Get basic numbers in your head so you can freehand npcs on a glance. Have npcs that matter written down in notes, but a shopkeep doesn't need a card, because an npc has 7 wounds, 2 soak, 30 fellowship and is trained in commerce.

>Planet hopping
Check. iirc there's a table that calculates how long a ship goes in the warp, so I'm planning to use that to break up the investigating of heretics, xenos and daemon-stuff with dealing with whatever a ship in the warp throws at them.

>downtime
Do you mean in-game, or in the real world? Assuming the former.

>Being tightfisted with influence
How often and much should I be handing it out? Speaking of something similar, should I be tightfisted with reduction in corruption (as the book suggests that a sector's boss priest blessing might reduce it by 2 or 3 points)?

>Party Comp and Core Capabilities
Oh, I know. Although it might be fun to throw them in the deep end and see how much trouble they get into/see how it'll come back to bite them later.

>Making overtures to keep groups together
What exactly do you mean by this? I can see what you DON'T do, but what do you DO to keep 'em together?

>Competence
No worries. If they get good, they get good. If it gets too egregious or grating, well, someone will notice how we'll they're doing against the usual acolyte troubles and start sending them at tougher problems, or maybe their next threat might be smart enough to do things like ambushes.

Oh, I was thinking of using an... Apocalypse World Clock, I think they're called, in my investigations (and possibly on ships in transit). From my understanding, it's a clock that slowly ticks from 0 to twelve. From 0 to 8, they're pretty safe, and each "hour" there's some event that gives them a reason as to why leaving is a good idea, getting away safely. From 9 to 11, things start going bad - some nasty stuff happens, they can still get out alive, but it'll be at a cost, or with a real challenge. At 12, everything goes to shit - it'll be hell to survive, let alone GTFO. Not sure if that'd be too hard on my players, though.

>Do you mean in-game
Yes. Give the party months of working places over, digging themselves in, shit like that.
>How often and much should I be handing it out?
Enough that becoming an Interrogator/Inquisitor is feasibly possible.
>should I be tightfisted with reduction in corruption
Yes, but do not be crazy open with throwing corruption points at them.
>but what do you DO to keep 'em together?
Softly drop hints about needing numbers, or skill sets Player 1 may not have, but Players 2+3 do, shit like that.
>Apocalypse World Clock
Modify it based on circumstances and use the Subtlety system. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if you can, measure Subtlety by the character, and NOT the warband. RAW, you can't have a face pc and an legbreaker in the same party without both being exposed.
If the party tanks their subtlety rating (most do), feel free to throw bigger shit at them, they earned it. If they start to bolster it, slack things off. And base both off who knows what about them. Keep shit very based on the situation, and do not invent shit to throw at them because you need to challenge them; if your shit was too easy, then you shouldn't have done it, fool.

Thanks, answers about everything I can think of. Have a good day/night, and a Merry Appropriated Pagan Celebration!

>raises my cup of rum
Here's to it, Australiabro, git some heretics!

For anyone interested: made a quick mock up of Apocalypse World Clock (which is a countdown clock from the RPG Apocalypse World, TIL). Modified it to look pretty, with some text and colour. Was thinking of making a few tables to roll on depending on what coloured section your players are in.

How many backup weapons is too many backup weapons?

Depends on the system.

>Rogue Trader
Varies wildly, default to 1 backup weapon.

>Dark Heresy
1 melee and 1 ranged backup is solid for a combat-oriented character.

>Only War
Stick to 1 sidearm and a knife. Preferably mono the knife.

>Black Crusade
Marines can carry as many as they damn well please. For non-marines, see Dark Heresy.

>Deathwatch
See above.

You can never have too much backup weapons. At least one of them should be an orbiting ship's lance weapon, or a Cyclonic Torpedo if you have the authority to declare Exterminatus.

>tfw legacy weapon and can never have any backups for that class

>if you have the authority to declare Exterminatus.
The fuck do you mean 'if'? My authority to declare Exterminatus is "I have a doomsday weapon and I'm crazy enough to want to use it, so don't fuck with me, kid". Because you might be stronger than me, you might be smarter than me. But you will never, ever be crazier than me.

But do you also have the authority not to die like a bitch to a Vindicare's bullet after dropping your hot cyclonic load on a world after being told not to?

Why would this even affect us?

Most of us make our own stories anyway.
..Right?

All of a sudden

>Surprise Tau victory

And thus, the neckbeard riots that would rage for almost a month worldwide, causing at least several dollars in damage and a bruised shin, began.

I'd accept that. As a nids fan, I know my faction isn't going to win, so the Tau winning and pissing everybody else off would be worth it.

but user GW either sucks imperial cock or chaos cock.

This is the only place where 40k lore can be discussed since all those new fall of cadia threads are shit and the regular 40k general is terrible

I know, but we can wish. Can't we? Plus, have some Tyranids in Santa Claus hats.

>yfw Chaos vs Nids gets explored in greater depth

>yfw IG regiments might actually get expanded more

>tfw everything that needs to be expanded is expanded, while they keep their Space Marine/Chaos wank to a minimum.

>yfw Chaos-corrupted Tyranids get rules

>Space Marine/Chaos wank to a minimum.

I doubt it but the chance of the other IG regiments get expanded upon is a chance I do not want wasted.

>efw Chaos-corrupted Tyranids get rules and their being lead by Malal.

Catachans,kreig and Elysians all could use some new lore.

Apparently over a 1000 IG regiments are going to support cadia I would not doubt all the notable IG regiments are getting called in.

Yes, but some of us play in modern 40k inseatd of FFG historical. If the universe suddenly changes, it will cause serious problems for our games.

>Apparently over a 1000 IG regiments are going to support cadia
Not actually that impressive, since America alone fielded over 300 regiments worth of troops in WW2. You'd think the Imperium, fighting the most crucial and desperate battle of its life, would dedicate hundreds of thousands of regiments to the fight. But then again, IG numbers have always been orders of magnitude too small.

Its not like you HAVE to listen to it

>some of us play in modern 40k inseatd of FFG historical
"Modern" 40k is a very specific time. Namely, 23:59:59, December 31st, 40,999. Literally one second to midnight on the eve of the 41st millennium, just before the machine starts to really break down and everything gets vastly worse for everyone. And it's stayed there for several editions despite retcons making the "one second to midnight" gradually more and more poised for disaster by the codex. How do you run a game in that without it instantly becoming "Your dudes surviving Ragnarok as best they can while you run a game strongly informed by, but wildly divergent from, the canon 'setting'?" I'm genuinely curious, because this is exactly why I set my campaigns sometime mid-41 so I have room to play around and timeskip without having to drastically rewrite the setting.

"Regiments" in the IG also has a pretty vague meaning, since each home world's own brand of guardsmen are often referred to as a "regiment." So a regiment can easily mean every single Catachan Jungle fighter ever. My guess is that when GW says 1000 IG regiments, they mean regiments from 1000 worlds and likely several more regiments by our understanding. For instance one batch of Steel Legion is some 10000000 dudes, which is considered a small number for a planet with 100 billion people, but orks, so it's okay.

YES!!! I liked it. I know, trust is rare these days...I try to be one of the positive channers (when i'm not flaming enraged, that is). (And in retrospect, the anonymoos bucks is usually ironic....sorry!)

GW isn't going to send a hit squad to your house if you fail to incorporate every single one of their endless parade of whimsical and arbitrary retcons into your game.

Looking for some input on a solid projectile weapon I've been working on for a homebrew regiment.

Sergian “Liberator”
|Basic | 100m | S/2/6 | 1d10+4 I | 2 | 30 | Fire Selector, Reliable | Rare | 8kg |

*Fire Selector - This weapon allows the user to swap between three independent ammo feeds, allowing them to use ammunition best suited to the situation at hand.

Wielded almost exclusively by members of the Sergian 1st Drop Regiment, the sound of Liberators herald the coming of a much larger force as the 1st leads the way. Inspired by an ancient design from the Great Crusade, the Liberator is, in fact, a heavy stubber modified to the point where it is utterly unrecognizable beyond its caliber. A primitive (but rugged) fire selector integrated into the design allows for a soldier to instantly adapt to battlefield conditions with a single lever. While its weight and recoil certainly cause quite a bit of grumbling, such complaints rarely outlive the heavy rifle's first use.

Okay, my first gut question is "Why is an IG regiment using a solid projectile weapon (Losing the logistic benefits of lasguns) that weighs as much as a bolter and is almost as expensive (Also losing the cost and weight benefits of lasguns) for a minimal gain in performance?" It's just not very good for its rarity and role.

Its a better autogun in every way.

How would you run an all irk campaign?

What should I as a player expect from some waaagh trader

A death light lasgun is better, rarer, and has way easier to acquire ammo.

Homebrew should never be better than official weaponry.

Because using lasguns for every regiment ever gets old, and I'm trying to create something that's useful enough to provide a reasonable alternative.

I didn't even know that existed until you told me about it. I'm not sure if anything can really compete with that, outside of the truly broken.

Isn't it just one or two skills to helm the ship? I think those are already on the RT skills list

How do you players celebrate holidays like the Feast of Emperor's Ascension or Sanguinala? Do they have a favored saint they pray to?

I think that by setting your game in a containment sector, such as Calixis, Tiji, Vasenica, or other sector one personally creates, it allows you to use the official party line and still do your own thing. What happens in canon happens, and you can apply the fallout to your containment sector depending on distance and location.

Now that the Fenris system is mostly shattered and Cadia's about to get rekt, if you're in modern Calixis/Koronus, you have a higher chance of seeing more daemons or even a daemon primarch as things break down. If you're on the other side of the galaxy, it may just be localized reports, but you are still open to including the new stuff as needed.

I know that, for my own things, as soon as something major happens in canon, it is instantly applied and accepted, quite loudly. But just because you can, doesn't mean you need to. It is perfectly acceptable to have players try to fight off Daemon Magnus now that he has stats and a verifiable presence, but there's no REASON to do that. Just because Magnus appears doesn't mean your team has to fight him. Just because Cadia falls, it doesn't mean your regiment ceases to exist immediately. If anything, it opens up even more options for players.

If you've made the terrible mistake of setting your game in a canon location in the modern setting, than there is little that can be done beyond headcanoning and canon divergence.

Or I dunno

Not listen to it

Then why play 40k in the first place if you're just going to essentially stick your head in the sand and change anything you don't like? It's one thing to not use something, it's another to change something declared fundamental. What would happen if you claim "Cadia never fell" but another player, who you've been rolling with for years, says "Man, Cadia falling was so cool!"

There's a difference between "We're playing in a place where that's not a concern and won't come up," which accepts there's a canon change but merely brushes over it, and "If you claim Cadia falls, there's not a place for you at this table," which I've seen happen only once before, and nobody was happy in the end.

And it's not just the big changes. What would happen if, out of nowhere, your GM suddenly said, "I don't believe Leman Russes are canon, we'll be using Siegfried Tanks in their place from now on." How jarring do the changes to the established and objective facts of the setting need to be before it ceases to be 40k?

>tfw you want to run Inquisitor but no one at your FLGS would but up with its extremely grognard level rules.

God I just want something a little toned down to sell them on RPWargames

Its okay to change some things

I still believe Black Templars are 7k marines the day BL actually takes the time to care about the lore is the day I care.

Well I kinda say Taurox primes use wheels.....