Merry Christmas, No Fun Allowed! Edition

Merry Christmas, No Fun Allowed! Edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
If you could get one card for Christmas, under $10, what would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-counters-infect/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-mistress-of-tokens-budget/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ichiban-commandaruu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slobad-isnt-sobad/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-12-16-long-may-she-reign/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slowbad-edhcommander-absolute-armageddon/
pastebin.com/a9gDNsgV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Archfiend of Depravity is best Demon.

I second that

Good taste user. He's much better in multiplayer, particularly Mazirek if you set things up nicely.

I personally run him very effectively in Lazav. Combine him with things that tap down your opponent's creatures, or "frost" effects, and people will learn to hate that fuck. Desecration Demon isn't bad, but people very quickly realize that, if you don't sacrifice anything, he's much less threatening.

i still have a soft spot for demon of death's gate and reaper from the abyss, but hes a close third

I really need a grave pact for Savra, but I've been stalling on it.

>reaper from the abyss
Oh man, that's my second favorite demon right there. The BBB devotion scares me off a bit, but every time he's hit the field, I've never been disappointed.

On the edge but Maelstrom Wanderer. Now that Yidris is out I want to complete the cascade duo and Maelstrom Wanderer would be perfect for that.

Does there exist a store where I can edit and buy custom cards that look and feel like a regular card once sleeved?

99 out of 100 cards in my deck have the modern card frame and the one card with an old frame is a near-mandatory staple.
It would really please my autism to have all cards uniform, plus it's kind of neat to have a custom card for one of your most important cards (besides the commander, of course).

Niiiiiice. Ran it in my meren deck alongside merciless executioner and fleshbag marauder.
Aye Are you me? Just got yidris and want the og for a big finisher

Planning to upgrade my precon and put him in it when I get back to work over break. Love it, especially the synergy between a hasted yidris that can cascade shit

I keep making little changes but I'm still looking for any advice regarding this Atraxa Infect and +1/+1 counter deck.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-counters-infect/

I play a more competitive prossh deck, an someone recommend me some other commanders for a more casual time while being unique.

So are you asking for suggestions, or just complaining, or what?

Didn't you hear user? Prossh is a pubstomper and if you call him competitive you'll trigger tieranon.

Just asking for suggestions! Forgot to use a question mark.

him and skirsdag high priest are so good at the creep. i can't not have both in a deck if i can't help it

Unique? Nah.
Casual? play newzuri with lots of small unblockable shit. Not the best, but pretty fun pumping up your little dudes for lethal.

>not Rune Scarred Demon
Pleb detected

i find building a deck for less than 50 bucks makes more fun decks. but unique? try and build isperia, supreme judge

eldritch evolution has really dropped in value. should a grab a few now for my green decks or is it a bad card?

Nah, wait till standard rotates. While it's not the best card, its not awful, just don't spend more than like $2 on it unless you need it.

Would be better if it were instant, or if it were worded like Scapeshift. If the deck isn't tuned for it, you just get yourself 2-for-1'd.

Is grave pact still under 10? I want a grave pact

You can get it for around ten.

So I typically build control decks, that usually do alright with liberal use of using politics to win games. Lately people have caught on, started accusing me of being a cult leader, and not believing a word I say, even when I never outright lie, and point out legitimate threats on the board.

I need a new deck, but combo is frowned upon, so I need to out-value the table, and I still want a hint of politics, even if those jerks won't drink my kool-aid. I was thinking of building Tasigur, as he has some political bent with his ability, but I'm not sure how to win with the deck, other than, like, TaN Entwined Craterhoof/Avenger.

So I could use card suggestions, if anyone has it? Anything political is awesome.

So what do you use for the Thopter Tribal? I have a lot of work to do on my Breya token deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-mistress-of-tokens-budget/

its probably as low as its going to be until it rotates but even then i doubt it will go down lower than a dollar

The stronghold one is about $9.50.

>Regular group is out of town for the holidays
>Go with a friend to a LGS for EDH night
>Someone asks me if I have trades, hand over my binder
>They hand me a binder full of 2-5 dollar standard cards
>Get huffy when I wont trade them a Cradle for actual garbage

Why do people feel entitled to get nice things for nothing?

Doesn't look much different from the precon

You do have some absolutely terrible cards in there like whirler maker and tenza, but im really liking that the tappedout price total is only $80, which means you probably paid like $45 including the precon

Try running Bident of Thassa, it's really strong to drop it the turn after breya

Oh I know it's terrible and barely changed. I'm more of a flavor person, and I need to make a big order of cards soon.

I don't think it's terrible, you have a few bad cards but the deck itself isn't terrible

Please respond

No. There is no such store. Happy?

Meh artwork

Had a similar experience with some guy looking to build a modern urza lands deck I don't pay attention to anything but legacy and commander got all pissy when I refused to trade my multiple playsets of them for rare bin fodder even more absurd considering a playset of each lands isn't much

guise, need help sorting out my EDH deck:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ichiban-commandaruu

Ive just bought Breed Lethality and previously built an EDH deck around Anafenza the Foremost which i ran in a few games last month.

I haven't added basic lands yet and I have too many creatures and not enough spells and my maybeboard is huge. Im new to Commander format and building around Atraxa. Looking at the blueprint of the deck what stuff goes out, what stuff goes in?

I don't know why but the damn orange border ruins the masterpieces for me.

Depends, are yours whitebordered or black bordered?

Now that I got a larger image of it, I actually think it looks really nice.

So what is a japanese black bordered urza's mine worth?

Chronicles version 4, one with the diving suit looking thing.

Depends, if near mint probably around 10€ if I had to guess since there are none available atleast on magiccardmarket.

same

Agreed. The expeditions are pretty okay looking, but these just look awful.

I like it

Putting the finishing touches on my King Macar Vehicle deck with hand control subtheme feels sooo good man. Can't see what goodies AER brings. I love it when old legendaries are made relevant again.

Unless you run monoblack, just get Dictate of Erebos for like 1/5 of the price

you can always settle for a dictate of erebos or run both

What are some good blue/black discard and zombie creature spells?

I also like it.
I'm in the process of making jor kadeem vehicle rush with forced combat and power ups. I also can't wait for the new vehicles and any support they'll be given.

Lilliana's reaver

Do you think a Creakwood Liege could replace an Elvish Archdruid for a Nath deck? I'm running it more stax-centric and I'm still lacking in fodder makers, Bitterblossom is too expensive and nobody seems to own Ophiomancer on the whole planet.

I also find that the border doesn't fit all decks if you want to go for a certain aesthetic like all gray/silver for a colorless deck. What bothers me more about the masterpieces is that the foiling is more like the FTV foiling which doesn't really accentuate parts of the art as well as normal foiling can. This is really just me nitpicking though.

Zombie infestation and necromancer's stockpile. Cryptbreaker is on theme as well. I also like magus of the bazaar for discarding and digging through your deck. You may also want to look at spellshapers like bog witch if you want repeatable discard outlets, though the tap part and mana requirements aren't ideal.

Just finishing up the changes to my Slobad deck. It hasn't been updated in... a long time. Basically, I made this a few years ago... and when Daretti released and became flavor of the month, I was fucking livid. (Since he's basically everything the deck wants, AND can be a commander, it spelled death to my commander...) But I've since recouped confidence in Slobad. He is actually very viable and has numerous advantages over Daretti. He's basically never a target, he's cheaper, he sacs any # of artifacts at instant speed, etc. Anyways, thoughts on my changelog?

-Masticore
-Darksteel Juggernaut
-Darksteel Colossus
-Arcbound Crusher
-Arcbound Reclaimer
-Kuldotha Phoenix
-Anger - hastes
-Imperial Recruiter - too expensive $
-Squee, Goblin Nabob
-Copper Gnomes
-Magus of the Moon
+Feldon of the Third Path
+Combustible Gearhulk
+Thopter Assembly
+Mycosynth Golem
+Palladium Myr
+Iron Myr
+Foundry Inspector
+Shimmer Myr

-Grim Monolith
-Chrome Mox
-Expedition Map
+Mind Stone
+Hedron Archive
+Commander's Sphere
+Darksteel Forge
+Myr Turbine

+Daretti, Scrap Savant
-Wheel of Fate
-Wild Guess
+Scrap Mastery
+Reforge the Soul
+Cathartic Reunion
-Mishra's Workshop - too expensive
-Wooded Foothills - too expensive
-Scalding Tarn - too expensive
-Bloodstained Mire - too expensive
+Inventor's Fair
+3 Mountain

(Will post entire deck in link if needed)

Some reasoning behind certain changes:
Needed more mana rocks. Those creatures at the top weren't threatening enough. With the loss of Imperial Recruiter, I traded magus of moon for the enchantment. Same reason I tossed anger, though I'm considering Hammer of Purphoros as his replacement.

Replaced Wheel of Fate with Reforge the Soul and Wild Guess with Cathartic Reunion.

Wanted to try out Darksteel Forge since I've never actually played with it. Tossed expedition map since I'm ditching Mishra's Workshop for price reasons.

Bitterblossom is $15, how poor are you user?

I'd definitely do that replacement if the mana loss isn't a big deal.

Not that I don't have the money, but I just can't justify to myself to spend $15 on a sheet of cardboard. The most I've spent on a single card is 6 yuros on a Contamination and only because it's pretty much irreplaceable. Sooner than Bitterblossom I'd rather pick up Earthcraft anyway.

Yo /edhg/

I have a problem with pillowforting. Can some one recommend a play style or color combo or commander that doesn't do that?

anything with white and blue in it

anything with green and red in it

Here's mine, if you're looking to compare.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slobad-isnt-sobad/

What playstyle do you want that isn't pillowfort? Combo? Aggro? Shenanigans? Group hug?

may I get some opinions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-12-16-long-may-she-reign/

First for overpowered puppers!

anything with black and red in it

anything with white and green in it

anything

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slobad-isnt-sobad/

Yeah, I intentionally have very little to do with infinite comboing unless I luck into it. That's the biggest difference in my deck from most Slobad/Daretti I see.

Why do you have liquimetal coating and into the core, but no vandalblast/karn/mycosynth lattice?

Here's my list, btw.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slowbad-edhcommander-absolute-armageddon/

Now THAT's a good boy

I use the coating to protect slobad from board wipes, and occasionally have it target someones planeswalkers when I use jokulhaups.

Probably should add Vandalblast, but the reason for no Karn and Lattice is price. Karn's not worth his price point to me and I dont have $20+ to drop on a single card right now.

They look better in real life. A guy at my FLGS collects the things.

I call it group murder orgy. Sorry for the weird formatting.
pastebin.com/a9gDNsgV

I've started to collect the ones that I run in my Lubu voltron, I may have to actually go after the swords now though, I'm just not looking forward to handing out the dosh for them.

Lattice is expensive but Karn is only $5ish around here.

What's your favorite thing to do in your deck? I posted this in the last thread, pretty funny when it goes off, although I don't really do infinites typically.

Also, Kuldotha Forgemaster into Blightsteel Colossus is priceless. Wasteland/Strip Mine + Crucible is a good way to lose friends. I really like Winter Orb in Slobad because it's almost a 2-mana "take an extra turn" card (everyone is tapped out, you drop orb, they do nothing that turn, you sac before upkeep)

One of my favorite things in Breya is using Kuldotha Forgemaster in my upkeep to get Scourglass, getting around the dreadful drawback of Scourglass

Scourglass... I was drooling over that for Slobad until I saw it was White. Damn you, wizards.

Oh you mean the original Karn. I thought you meant the planeswalker. lmfao

My favorite thing to do is to blow up everyones lands and rocks, but save my lotus/chalice with Ward of Bones out.

I have a foil one and it's gorgeous, I mostly play for that reason, the card is clunky enough to be cut but I like it too much

I also run Soulscour

Original Karn turns mana rocks/other useful shit on their board into a creature for 1 mana each, which lets you fuck with board wipes that hit creatures and not artifacts. This is especially good for making people think twice about wrath/damnation when they have 4 mana rocks out.

Good taste, user. I don't like white but certain things are awesome within it.

I've tried some General Tazri as a 5 color Zada tutor and she just feels more janky than a regular Zada deck. Where instead of using rituals and Skirk Prospector to fuel chains of cantrips into an ultimate win condition like Fiery Gambit, you use mana dorks and untap effects. Even the basic premise of using Tazri as a tutor for Zada, with other Ally synergies as a backup, just seems more janky.

Also, Zada can run Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon without blowing herself up.

Former Taz/secret Zada player. It's fun because you get to abuse cards like Lab man, but if Zada gets exiled you're in for a bad time. I eventually changed it to an inktreader deck since I figured I'd rather have fun than be "unique".

I'm just not a huge fan of orange and they used that colour a bit too much in the artworks and borders. Opinions. I do think that the new ravager looks kind of nice tho.

Anything similar to Deathrite Shaman, Night Soil and whatever that BG version of Night Soil?
I'm going to be running -somethiing- UBG, and I need things to use all of those cards hitting opponent's graveyards.

>King Macar
>Vehicles
You fucking genius

Nezumi Graverobber?

Look up Lazav and Gitrog Monster decks for ideas.

you mean exile people's graves and get value out of it?

puppeteer clique, scavenging ooze and diluvian primordial are the first that come to mind (since they're really fucking good).

I envy your self control

>tfw my average deck price has crept over a grand

>want to finish artifact deck
>don't want it to just be mono-brown good stuff
>finished last-minute Christmas shopping put a big dent in checking account
Fuck, I hate this holiday

No one huh?

>No indestructible or unblockable

Would not rub belly/10

looks alright, although i'm not sure about that token theme. monarch is alright, but it's not worth that much build-around. specifically cards like marsh flitter and typhoid rats are really low-value for edh.

i'd do something a bit more goodstuffy with your creatures, and add a bit of artifact manafix/ramp.

also make sure your pillowfort actually wins at some point with some specific set of cards

i just personally don't buy anything that is over 5 dollars unless it's very unique and interesting. like, i don't see the point of buying mana crypts and shit. they don't make your deck anymore fun to play, they just make it go off faster, and that's not fun for anyone in the group.

but then cards like sneak attack, like yeah, that is fun and unique, and is therefore worth buying

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-12-16-long-may-she-reign/
I don't get what your deck is supposed to be doing. The mana base is super weird. why the show lands for creatures you don't have any/a lot of?

>No ...unblockable
>Protection from Creatures
user please...

The tokens are honestly just there to build a wall or get the burn/ drain effects from stuff like helldriver for, Flitter I can drop easy, And rats are there for the same reason loyal sentry is, one less reason for them to attack me with something big.
>Ramp
Any recommendations in WBR?
Build a fort, tax people to death.
> why the show lands for creatures you don't have any/a lot of?
I'm assuming you are talking about hovel and Ampitheater, Really only in there because they hit two colors and I'd rather be assured two colors and it come in tapped than be slamming my head against the table for half a game waiting on what I need.

Ink-Treader as general, or just generally tutoring for it? Because I think Ink-Treader as general is a little too broken, especially as a nonlegal choice.

i can see where you're coming from with the token stuff, but it's still a bit wonky. i wouldn't personally build her like that, but it's your money so whatever

>Any recommendations in WBR?

signets, fellwar stone, command tower, darksteel ingot, gilded lotus, solemn simulacrum

As a general, I removed all Threaten effects from the deck. It exists purely to A. Keep everyone alive as long as possible and B. Keep the game from ending early

I literally gain a shit ton of life, then use that life as a backup to keep everyone from killing everybody else. Everyone gets the satisfaction of killing "the guy with 200 life", and nobody has to leave a game saying "I wish player x hadn't won in such a bullshit way".

The entire deck list is just ways to dick on players trying to be asses, and other silver bullets, while messing with the boardstate. Someone has a Yidris deck? Oh look, eidolon of rhetoric. Somebody having a problem getting past 3 Mana? Fertilid. The deck actively attempts to make every game balanced (I refuse to play it in games with less than 4 people, though).