What is the best setting for a Runquest/Mythras campaign?

What is the best setting for a Runquest/Mythras campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/y04313bvarr1v/Glorantha
notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/adventures-in-glorantha-take-3-gloranthan-cult-onepagers-come-for-aig/
mediafire.com/file/8k8uqt19ob99z1g/RQ6 - Mythic Britain.pdf
glorantha.com/glorantha/
irontavern.com/2013/03/12/runequest-6e-combat/
skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
drivethrurpg.com/product/194064/Mspace?filters=0_0_44826_0_0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hmm, I'm kinda interested in a D100 system. How is Mythras/BRP?

makes combat a lot more memorable, and skill checks are straightforward, but you cant do all the "epic" things other systems (dnd) can, well you can do them but you will die probably

Considering you can become possessed by the spirit of air and become Storm with minimal preparation... well you can easily do "epic" things. I mean your party still fights trolls and undead and whatever else, they just have to use good tactics and think in "realistic" action movie limitations.

What you can't do is the high end of anime bullshit.

I think Glorantha is the obvious answer.

The Star Wars OT makes a great setting with the supplement. Really sci-fi in general is great.

With Classic Fantasy any OSR setting works really well.

Glorantha
Your own setting
The Heroic Age of Greece and the Trojan War
Dark Sun
Ancient Egypt
Mesopotamia
Antediluvian Earth
Probably others...

what is glorantha about? ducks?

Nah, there just happens to be some ducks in it, but they don't get out much.

Glorantha's a late-bronze/early-iron age fantasy setting. The usual area focused on is Dragon Pass, a relatively recently conquered province of the expansionist Lunar Empire of the north, and home to a bunch of storm worshipping Barbarians.

A general assumption of the world is that everyone knows at least a little bit of magic, even if it's just a way to make your plough sharp again (which works just as well on a sword)

There are non-human races, but they're generally not human enough to be good to play.

The most human would probably be the trolls, monsters who crawled out of hell in the darkness, are eternally hungry, herd insects for livestock, and eat anything.

where i can start with it?

There is Mythic Britton and Mythic Rome made by the devs.

Well, the best introductory guide's not out yet annoyingly.

Until then, mediafire.com/folder/y04313bvarr1v/Glorantha Grab Sartar Kingdom of Heroes.

Despite being designed for a different system, much of it's rules free anyway.

For cults (the real thing you'd lack with RQ6) you can grab the mechanics from notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/adventures-in-glorantha-take-3-gloranthan-cult-onepagers-come-for-aig/

Would eberron work with this system?

I don't know all that much about Eberron, but I'd say it could be possible.

A bunch of D&D stuff was done as the RQ6/Mythras "Classic Fantasy" supplement. (Although that is mostly based on Basic D&D)

Dragonmarked Houses would be a form of guild/cult/brotherhood, which grants magic based on their Dragonmarks.

Religion's not too hard, you can do them in full, or just assign gods to the sample write ups as appropriate when need be. For example the Sovereign Host:
Arawai (Fertility Goddess)
Aureon (Knowledge God)
Balinor (Hunter God)
Boldrei (No direct analogue, but similarities to Fertility Goddess and Craft God)
Dol Arrah (Sun God)
Dol Dorn (War God)
Kol Korran (Trade God)
Olladra (Trickster God(dess))
Onatar (Craft God)

And of course there's races. Mythras has some of the standards: Elves, dwarves, etc.

But then we've got the more unique stuff. Here's an attempt at a Warforged statblock:

STR 2d6+9
CON 2d6+9
SIZ 1d6+13
DEX 3d6
INT 2d6+6
POW 3d6
CHA 3d6
Abilities: Disease Immunity, Poison Immunity, 1pt armour in all hit locations, Immunity (Hunger), Immunity (Suffocation)

Glorantha, OP. Quelle question!

These anons have the right of it.

Would really love to Learn more about glorantha, would you mind giving me the cliff notes version of it.

Also how do you guys handle fighting styles, when I tried running runequest 6 I had trouble designing them so was wondering what advice youn might have, do you make several for each culture? How many?

My two-second pitch for Glorantha is that it is the world Odysseus and Achilles thought they lived in.

The longer pitch goes like this:

The cool thing about Glorantha is that a king can say he rules a city whose unbreakable wall was once the bracelet of Shargash the war god, or that he married the Oslira river and tamed the annual floods. The first emperor brought order to the world, and named the four directions. In Glorantha these things are literal and true.

Aside from that, I think a large part of the appeal of Glorantha is that it is a world that is ancient not just in its window dressing, but in its attitudes and philosophies. The people in it are not modern day individuals with modern views and concerns dressed up in chainmail and studded leather armor.

There's weirdness, too. Like the time a huge empire was founded on a pyramid scheme in order to turn part of the world into a giant dragon, or when comparative anthropologists almost destroyed the cosmos, or when the United Nations decided to create a god and was torn apart by the civil war which followed.

There's ancient magical artifacts, wars of gods and men and heroes, dragons, demons, dinosaurs, magic, sorcery, beautiful priestesses and vile necromancers. Everything has a history and a place in the world, and a reason for existing.

>fighting styles

I don't think Runequest has the kind of granularity you need to develop mechanically interesting fighting styles; the combat just isn't detailed enough to support them.

If you really want that kind of nitty gritty combat, I would suggest GURPS -- particularly with the Martial Arts supplement. It even has fighting styles premade for you.

I am referring to the combat styles that give you the ability to use some weapons and give you a bonus, e.g. Greek hoplite, spear, shield short sword, can shield wall.

Right right. I know what you mean, now. It's been awhile since I looked at the rules for those, so I don't think I can be much help. Look at historical analogues as a starting point and go from there.

Are there any pdf uploads for Mythic Britain and Rome by Design Mechanism yet?

Im looking for a mechanically sound system to use with my setting. Can Runequest work with high magic, Age of Sail settings?

I never played RQ, but at first glance it looks great. Skill based, pointbuy, no classes and absurd increases in hp is what I am looking for.

Yes. Mythras is generic, although I think it still does mythic ancient bronze age settings best.

Old World/Warhammer Fantasy

I play Runequest 3rd edition in Glorantha and it´s pretty dope, I also tried it in ancient europe and its good but the setting it shines in truly is glorantha.

Warforged would be infinately more interesting done like droids in the Star Wars supplement where their attributes and abilities are very customizable - because, you know, they're robots.

It's my favorite system for this time period the Ships and Shieldwalls supplement gives terrific rules for sailing, and the Firearms supplement is fantastic.

Here you go, user: mediafire.com/file/8k8uqt19ob99z1g/RQ6 - Mythic Britain.pdf

I normally let the player tell me what they want to do with their character, and go from there.

For example, I had a dedicated archer. So she got 1) a combat style based on being a hunter as a trade (the one where she could move a shoot easier) 2) a combat style based on showing off her marksmanship to friends growing up and in game learned (where she could move the location hit slightly) 3) a military combat style to loose arrows quickly in a skirmish (where reload times were reduced by 1). She could also use weapons used in hunting, sporting, or by military archers for each style.

Or in a pulpier game, a player who was a smith whose combat style forced him to shift his attack to a nearby location if it had less armor. The style used more practical weapons - hammers and his fists, and I think crossbows.

Another custom one was with a noble duelist, and his style only allowed rappers and daggers - but he could make the check on step harder to attack one step outside the weapon range because of his footwork.

Underrated post. RQ6/Mythrad works excellently in Warhammer fantasy setting, from my experience.

Makes sense, GW borrowed from Glorantha in a few places.

Probably

The internet is a fucking amazing place.

I imagine the various colleges of magic might end up something like:

Light Order (Banish, Castback, Haste, Imprison, Neutralise Magic, Protective Ward, Regenerate, Spell Resistance, Spirit Resistance, Wrack (Light))

Gold Order (Animate (Metal), Bypass Armour, Damage Enhancement, Damage Resistance, Enchant (Object), Holdfast, Sculpt (Metal), Sense (Precious Metals), Store Manna, Transmogrify (to Gold), Wrack (Liquid Metal))

Jade Order (Animate (Wood), Damage Resistance, Hinder, Percieve (Lifesense), Regenerate, Sculpt (Wood), Transmogrify (to Wood), Wrack (Wood))

Celestial Order (Fly, Percieve (Darksense), Portal, Project (various senses), Teleport, Wrack (Ice), Wrack (Lightning), Wrack (Wind))

Grey Order (Animate (Shadows), Hinder, Intuition, Palsy, Phantom (various senses), Smother, Telepathy, Wrack (Shadows))

Amethyst Order (Banish, Palsy, Repulse (Undead), Sense (Undead), Smother, Tap (various attributes), Transfer Wound, Wrack (Death))

Bright Order (Animate (Fire), Sculpt (Fire), Smother, Transmogrify (to Fire), Wrack (Fire))

Amber Order (Attract (Beasts), Dominate (many varieties of animals), Draw (ditto), Enlarge, Repulse (many varieties of animals), Shapechange (ditto), Wrack (Beasts))

bump

I love the RQ6 system but fighting styles are really a pain in the ass. I wish the core book gave us some pre-made ones, I'm never satisfied with the styles I write myself.

Annoyingly there are some in the RQ essentials document. Based on those (which generally gave 3 weapons) I've come up with a few:

Berserker: (Shield Splitter) Battleaxe, Great Axe, Viking Shield.

Hunter: (Skirmishing) Javelin, Short bow, Shortspear.

Assassin: (Assassination) Dagger, Dart, Garrotte.

Thug: (Knockout Blow) Club, Dagger, Great Club.

Sailor: (Excellent Footwork. Net, Sabre, Trident.

Elven Archer: (Ranged Marksman) Long bow, Recurve bow, Short bow.

You should be giving at least one ranged and one melee option. Make them interesting too. Give hunters or lawmen bolas and sailors nets, that type thing.

Good idea.

Of course, there's also nothing stopping you from taking multiple combat styles, so having a ranged and a separate melee one is quite doable.

Thank you so much, user!

I'm just giving the book recommendation in designing styles. It also makes more sense culturally to have at least their "base" style to have options for typical encounters in that land. Warriors might have three styles, but many players will only ever have one that is a cultural style.

Also, since I've shilled this all over already, check out the Jedi lightsaber fighting. It's an easy to implement "martial school" type system for more dedicated weapon masters without making one thousand individual combat styles.

bump

what is an easy way to start with a setting?

where i can read about glorantha?

Requesting two npc stats, to try combat system

>no glorantha art cause I'm on my phone
>sorry

Here you go:
glorantha.com/glorantha/

mega:///#fm/5hVDRbiB
I really wanted the hardcover of this. So much delicious lore.

Is there a good combat example out there?

irontavern.com/2013/03/12/runequest-6e-combat/
This article provides a decent test combat amd some thoughts on the combat system.

I personally find that the combat system as it is is excellent for handling up to 4 combatants at a time, but becomes very slow when there are more stuff in the fight. For larger combats it's much speedier to use action points as a kind of stamina pool which limits the actions they can take in one turn cycle.
For example:
PC decides to use 2 out of 3 of his action points to hit an enemy twice, and saves 1 point for reactive actions.
Enemy#1 uses his both 2 action points for parrying, but enemy#2 has both of his points to use for attacking the PC, and the PC uses his last point to parry one attack, but sucks in the other strike.
Then PC regains his points as his turn arrives, and the fight continues.

It's much faster that kind of way, makes initiative much more valuable and results don't differ terribly from the original version, where every single action point is used on its own turn.

Have infinite NPCs
skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/

Sir Mix-a-lot?

>Another custom one was with a noble duelist, and his style only allowed rappers and daggers - but he could make the check on step harder to attack one step outside the weapon range because of his footwork.

>he doesn't want a network of rappers doing his combat for him

Has anyone tried Classic Fantasy here?

You beat me to it. I am hoping that DM gets handed (I don't think Pete or Loz would go after it) the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay License.

I played (as a player) at Gencon. The DM was too focused on his setting and WHY the adventure was happening instead of the OSR style jump the fuck right in. It was OK, obviously the combat was really good but he was not using the special effects enough, and to RQ6/Mythras, that's critical. I have converted and run some OSR adventures to RQ6 and I just used the regular rules. The new magic system in Classic Fantasy is worth the price of it -- especially if you are looking to rope in players that are used to the stock D&D spell lists.

>irontavern.com/2013/03/12/runequest-6e-combat/
I've run a 6 on 12 combat and it lasted 5 rounds. It works fine (most of the time). Fighters out of AP that do not have a shield who are hit usually are taken out.

So a question for Warhammer fantasy using RQ6.

Would Khorne have miracles?

The mob rules are wonderful too. I did Sarinya's Curse for five PCs and a beefed up temple guard and even that went quickly - giant statue, priestess, dozens of cultists and all.

Khorne-madmen could consecrate their weapons in the blood of enemies to cast True Weapon, eat their hearts to cast Berserk, build altars of skulls to consecrate a holy place etc. But they wouldn't be using wimpy miracles.

They would definitely give Chaos features (page 276 in Mythras).

Well yeah, Chaos Features = Mutations, just like Chaos Hybrids = Beastmen.

Bump for interest. What do you guys think of M-Space?

what is M-Space?

Sci-Fi supplement for Mythras. I was looking to hopefully find some more related material so I can run a cyberpunk game with the system or one similar to BRP.

drivethrurpg.com/product/194064/Mspace?filters=0_0_44826_0_0

You only need extra rules for hacking and chrome in a cyberpunk-game. I'd advice against making hacking a game in itself - because it is a drag for all the players who don't come with a socket. I'd think it would work fine as a simple extended task.
Cybering up gives you access to boosted attributes, senses, skills and talents and tricks, as well as turning parts of your body into a construct - at the cost of indebting yourself and incurring possible psychosis.
Everything else you've already got in the core rules and the modern supplements.