I have no idea what races to use

I have no idea what races to use.

Other urls found in this thread:

grammarist.com/usage/octopi-octopuses/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

those are some pretty good races.

Ducks and octopuses. Nothing else.

What do you mean, "random"?

however many different stats(or effective combinations of stats) you have, have at least that many races. Where each specializes in a different stat.

I'd play it.

Ivalice races a best. I like every one in its own way. Think they each offer a good spectrum of classes. Always thought Nu Mou could use one more option other than Beastmaster that was a little more physically capable though.

Also Gria always seemed redundant as fuck to me. They were mobile melee characters, but to me Viera already filled that role, even though Assassins could use greatbows as well.

So?

Use all of them.

>Race- Card
>Race- Clown

I remember the Nu Mou sage being alright at melee, and the Gria I always saw as just more mobile highly damaging melee fighters, the Seeq I could never find I use for though and didn't fit in that well with the other races in my head

forgot to add Viera still have to deal with height issues

If you get confused, just play the race card

>dullahan
> still wear clothes with collars
> haven't figured out a better way to transport their heads

What the fuck is this?

This is redundant. Dark elves and night elves are just reskins of each other. It's like saying black people are a different race from everyone else.

Since dark elves are usually cursed and all that shit, there is some justification. Iron Kingdoms has them as separate races, though I don't know the full backstory for it yet.

...so don't use nightelves?

Also, Elves. Elves have fucking 200 subraces depending on your edition of D&D.

And Vampires haven't learned to use helmets, so?

If you can't explain typical behavior traits to your players, you've gotten too far out there.

Why does that thing on the right have ear-vaginas?

Also I like giants. Include them.

Considering most elves are subcultures who undergo magic mutation... sure.

>race thread not getting more attention from the /pol/ contingent or smutlords
lolol LIVE THREAD

I thought it was going to be because she was strapped to her tits so she'd end up bouncing with them.

I agree, use those OP.

I just realized the defining feature of every race in that game are long silly ears.

Use those. Don't include humans.

>Clown as a species boggles the mind
Never play Space Station 13

You know that self-mutilation thing hipsters stole from Africa? The one where they stretch their earlobes around a hole?
It's the same thing, but instead of mutilation their ears just grow like that.

I'd be down with that, but how would you stat out playable Ivalice races?

Tell your players all races are allowed. After they make their characters, get rid of everything that someone isn't playing.

Those are now your core races.

Depends on the system, but in DnD 5e, Moogles could be rock gnomes, Viera could be Tabaxi and Bangaa lizardmen. Nu Mou would require home-brewing, but positive INT and WIS modifiers with advantage on animal handling would be a good place to start from.

Something like the forest gnome would work, or a modified high elf.
I actually have some Ivalice races statted for Mini Six, but it's a quick and dirty hack that doesn't feel much like Final Fantasy at all.

I don't see why you wouldn't just go the easy route and have moogles as gnomes, vierra as elves, banga as half orcs. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would only take some very minor tweaking on the more cosmetic features. Nu Mou are kind of pigeon holed into roles that don't really cover any race well though

what a neat idea

To some extent I always felt like you had to do that for 3.5/PF considering just how many races there are. If everything in the books had a place in your world it would be kind of absurdly cramped

SPECIES
SPECIES
SPECIES
SPECIES

RACES ARE SUBTYPES OF ONE SPECIES

>implying they can't crossbreed.

*autistic bioscreeching*
Let me guess, magic?

It's a little late to fight that battle.

No, because they're all races of one species.

Is it strange that I want to see that character's skull?

heh

I loved my beastmaster/morpher in the first FFTA. Dragons and flan win fights when properly groomed and malboro will ruin most mob's day out of the box. Maybe not quite on the level of the other ultimate combos in that game but I liked it. Teamed him up with a hunter/blue mage. Was a drag at first but once I got rolling they pulled their weight.

>It's a "nonhuman species thread"
>But nobody's yelling about furries.
R-ree?
In all seriousness though, you are welcome to use what species you want OP so long as they are justified in the fluff and balanced in the crunch - or at least fun enough that neither is too much of a problem.
I don't care if your party is made up of a socially inept mindflayer, a bugbear that glanced over the basics of alchemy like this one time, a foppish Rakasha with his gelatinous cube on a leash and a wardrobe that is just really angry all the time. I just wish you to have fun.

I would gladly give a limb for more Ivalice Tactics games.

I just wish we could live in a world a) in which Bangaa didn't get shat on in terms of options and b) in which we could get an actual playable Bangaa special unit.

seriously, Bangaa being slow in Speed Is King: The Game is a major kick to the groin in terms of viability.

This. I loved my bangaa but it sucked that as awesome my jumplar and my defender were they simply didn't get to go after my other units wiped out the enemy.

>not running a full squad of Paladin-Ninjas, wih backup from an Elementalist-Assassin
>a token Bangaa or three

Seriously, dual-wielding Excalibur2 and Nagrarok is one of the great joys of FFTA. Particularly if you're using Strikeback.

Tell the players to make their own races and bring them to you.
Explain it away as being the experiment of a mad wizard/scientist in creating a personal army.

> I have no idea what races to use.
Telepathic/telekinetic rock hivemind vs.shapeshifting virus that absorbs biomass and genetic memories.

There you go.

>the world is composed entirely of humans, half-elves, half-orcs, and firbolgs
What fresh hell is this

>Agile and mystical forest-dwellers
>Hardy and dour religious mountain-dwellers
>Capricious inventors and tricksters skilled at magic
>Weird magical dog-people.
>Humes

I always loved the Ivalice races are a neat twist Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes and Wierd Magical Dogs, with the Gria as your requisite Tieflings and Seeq as half-orcs.

My races in my home brew world are, lizard men inspired by the baanga that have a chameleon sub race, mutated elves with basically an extra set of elbows and knees in their limbs making them as weird and alien as eldar are supposed to be, humans that have moving medical tattoos that are actually a parasite that grants them insight into fate and causality, pachyderm humanoids that look more beetle like than elephant that practice benevolent necromancy, ratfolk that form perfect niches in society that makes them perfect cogs in an industrial revolution society that they are enslaved in (until they leave and gain autonomy and free will outside of the clan), and boring old humans.

NPC races include and nomad dwarf/goat centaurs that are basically beduins

That's effective, and is how I set up Marche but the game is easy enough that you can mix it up for fun

level as hunter, switch to paladin on the MC, run some level-ninja switch pallies, throw in an assassin or a red mage/summoner (with Turbo MP if you want literally nothing alive at the end of turn) and make sure to have a juggler or two for maximum fuckage.

In iron kingdoms the darker elves are called Nyss, they are a separate entry because they split from the other elves thousands of years ago and lived in the inhospitable north, they are more of an ethnic difference then a full racial difference. Iron Kingdoms mk1 did a whole lot of Ethnic differences being separate entries.

Yeah, my standard six were:
>Double Sword Paladin /w Fighter skills, x2
>Double Sword Paladin /w White Mage
>Turbo MP White+Black Mage
>Assassin /w either Spirit Magic or Summons
>Dragoon+Gladiator for fun

And of course Marche had the teleport-move for maximum nothing personal kid.

*octopi

grammarist.com/usage/octopi-octopuses/

Humans only. Intelligent non-humans are unknown/myths.

>Double Sword leladin for tank
>Damage MP Blue mage for second tank
>Jumplar for hillarity
>Red Mage Summoner for double cast shenanigans
>Melee Sage with cactus club
>some random moogle for muh diversity.

Fun fact: this is suspected to be the same reason birds bob their heads when walking. They keep their head stationary when they take a step and then move it forward separately. In fact, when walking on a treadmill (and thus staying in the same place), they don't bob their heads at all.

Caveman, Cat-Person, Lizard-Person, Dryad, Robot, Marilith. With Baba Yaga as a unique sui generis individual, who is, at least figuratively, everyone's grandmother.

Try lanternfolk!

If it's A1, just Assassin & Last Breath everything.

>take human female
>give one to three features of another animal
>take human male
>completely transform from the skeletal structure outwards, give the most bestial qualities of their female counterparts chosen animal
>repeat steps 1 through 4 as many times as necessary until requisite number of races have been met

Easy.

Go full Saturday Morning Cartoon and just let anything fly. It gives you leeway with NPCs and it gives the players some freedom to create. If everyone's stupid and unique then nobody is.

After playing Edge of the Empire with not-Zorak as my co-pilot, I solidly agree with this.

I do that, sort of.
Though player choice onlu selects major races, minor ones are all over the place.

Are there any fun and solid Ivalice RPGs out there? It's by far my favorite setting.

Afraid not.

Ive long held this philosphy.
Fuck humans and human like only settings. I want you to play a slavering lobster man riding/wearing a plant symbiote.

There was a western Developer making an Ivalice game but square pulled the plug because it wasnt japanese enaugh looking and "didnt fit int he spirit", it was a WRPG from what i can tell.

My players are gonna meet this party next session.

Assuming a D&D-like system, I would avoid having an optimal fighter race, optimal mage race, and so on. It's powergamer bait, and I say this as a powergamer.
Either design each race's mechanical traits to bring *something* unique to any class (it's okay if one trait doesn't help a class much as long as another trait does), or don't bother with multiple playable races at all.

Actually when they're above ground they're magma

The Zodiac FF RPG system has Ivalice Races.

Did he shop that Knuckles with the bad guy from Stretch Armstrong?

If you get racial stat bonuses, and given classes like given stats, it's impossible not to. They just make sure that races that are associated with a class have complimentary stats. It's why people were butthurt about changelings not making good witches.

Shit dude I think you're onto something. Good eye m8

Or try Machine Men like from Rice Boy!

What is this? An RPG for ants?