A resident fa/tg/uy has pointed out, a couple of days ago...

A resident fa/tg/uy has pointed out, a couple of days ago, that the "stereotypical fantasy setting" we all accept as the standard for fantasy RPGs from which any deviation is notable isn't based on any particular time, place or culture as being a "mishmash of Classical Greek mythology, Victorian representation of medieval Western European folklore and Tolkien."

But what is the correct proportion of each element?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eaeRbup9fus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I never understood 'generic fantasy', because I never got the hang of LOTR and was exposed to Discworld early enough for it to ruin generic fantasy.
So I just build my own settings as and when required.

That's one smug GM.

Wouldn't you be smug if your players were cute girls in short skirts?

More importantly, the "stereotypical fantasy setting" has very little to do with what modern day fantasy looks like.

Anyone who's familiar with the most popular fantasy books today is going to feel very out of place in Dungeons and Dragons, for example, since it's evolved into it's own thing for so long that it's very out of touch.

It's a miracle that there's not more effort done to capitalize on the popularity of "mature" fantasy IPs like Game of thrones and shit like that instead of repeating the silly morning cartoon vibe.

I guess it's an effort to compete with videogames, but it's a bummer that the main fantasy rpg IP is more for gamers than for fantasy nerds.

It used to be the other way around.

Discworld is as close if not closer than Lotr to this "generic fantasy". It's just also comedy.

You forgot american wild west. Not in looks, but in themes. D&D is american after all.

>"mishmash of Classical Greek mythology, Victorian representation of medieval Western European folklore and Tolkien."
That's American generic fantasy though. Japanese Generic fantasy also tends to throw in a lot of Japanese cultural references, Katanas and probably Oda Nobunaga turned into a little girl.

For the first couple of books I guess, but then it advances pretty quickly to modern-ish world but everything is magic instead of tech

interesting. ive always found it strange how "generic fantasy" has absolutist monarchs ; so its feudalism basicaly. yet all the characters seem to be able to freely move about and do anything they want

All female player groups get stale really quickly.

Especially if they're ca/tg/irls with ADHD and self-confidence issues.

You've made a couple of mistakes there.

D&D is kitchen sink fantasy. It contains a myriad of styles and themes, and the only D&D that had a Saturday morning cartoon vibe was the Saturday morning cartoon, a departure from the often grim game.

5e in particular has had Mearls frequently say that "We are living in a post-GoT world", and the Volo book in particular exemplifies this, though there are cues from other more recent fantasy works that are listed in the 5e expanded recommended reading list. More importantly, it's returning back to its roots, not only by going back to previous editions, but the classic fantasy novels that spawned the game to begin with.

D&D is very much still for fantasy nerds, and to call it out of touch if t admit to being out of touch with D&D.

When in Volo's Guide did you see ASoIaF signs?

I'd argue the more "grimdark" tone they went with, one I personally don't agree with. It's probably most evident with the gnolls, and you can also clearly see it with the mindflayers.

Of course, if by "more mature" you mean "all morality is just selfish grays" that GoT seems to enjoy, there's a fair amount of that amidst that absolute blacks of that book as well.

>That's one smug GM.
This fucker has minis the size of his head specially tailored to the characters. He has a professional painting of the game's events. His players are both gorgeous women who come in dressed as their characters with A++ tier props. Since it's anime, they're probably thirsting for his D too. He's got like six potted plants behind him, and I bet at least one of those is cannabis. His gaming room overlooks a fuckhuge castle like he's actually living in fantasy land. There isn't one electronic device to be seen.

So this bastard must be some kind of millionaire living in GM heaven. The smug is well-deserved.

As little Tolkien as you can manage if you're making your own.
I love the stuff with all my heart, but try something different for fucks sake.

t. someone who clearly hasn't read the books. That might be correct when talking about the show, but not the source material.

Whatever you make it, you fucking mouth-breather.

>We are living in a post-GoT world
Is clearly referring to the show. The first book is old. Not ancient, but it predates me by like 2 months.
Also, while the books' popularity spiked before the show, the books have never been as popular (or mass appealing) as the show.

It's a parody of fantasy, and a high-magic setting. Hence why it ruiined me on generic fantasy before I understood it.

The later ones became a lot more nuanced, though.

The Adventure elements come from Conan.

Because DND.

But DND throws in Conam, Ffhard and the Grey Mouser, as well as HPL at the very least, not any less that Tolkien.

Well, yeah. Not directly perhaps, but yeah, it's some quite absurd blend of "medieval" shit and the Wild West sociologically speaking.
> I realize Conan didn't give a shit about social classes, but in his stories people do

Well, while fantasy is quite incredibly conservative (compared to sci-fi and even horror) DND was kinda behind the times with fantasy even in the '80s. I mean, it referred to LOTR, not to Earthsea.

Though it's worth considering that DND is basically contemporary with the first fantasy bestseller: Shannara.

Once and Future King, Dying Earth, Conan stories, HP Lovecraft and LoTR/Hobbit are the MAIN influence

As someone else pointed out there is some American old west (whose pulp stories were notoriously popular in Europe) themes throw in there as well but mainly those above

>playing in club classroom

>in what looks like art classroom even

Why isn't there an anime about cute gms and cute players slaying cute monsters already, Veeky Forums? I

>Game of Thrones
>Mature

Reddit fucking leave NOW

Fuck off pedophile

>pedo

>highschool

This is what amerifats actually believe

>It's a miracle that there's not more effort done to capitalize on the popularity of "mature" fantasy IPs like Game of thrones

There's literally a Game of Thrones licensed tabletop game. It's just that one one gives a shit.

It's just that for a lot of more normal people the appeal of the franchise is from Tyrion, murder, and titties. They don't care about fantasy as a genre and generally don't care about tabletop games.

>no smug witch qt to sit on your face and order you to eat her ass

Life is suffering.

I still have an old issue of Dragon magazine where they dedicated an issue to ASoIaF and how to set your games there.

They statted Jamie as a level 16 Fighter because no one who ever ran that magazine had any concept of scale or balance.

Whenever Quickstart gets an adaptation.

So never.

Shut the fuck up

Talk to me in proper English and not your retarded meme babble. Better yet don't respond to me at all and just stop coming to this website all together

Because Quick Start won't be adapted until the manga sells a lot

>The smug is well-deserved.
He's probably just a trust fund baby who delusional enough to believe he's destined for greatness.

His players are probably going to get NTR'd by his dad's friends shortly after this, leaving him shattered and broken.

smuganimegirl.gif

That's interesting. Even for me that can't usually suffer 4komas.

Here you go user.

youtu.be/eaeRbup9fus

>Not seeing the quotation marks
Surely you're just pretending to be this retarded.

Dude, it's christmas, you shouldn't.

Shouldn't what?

>reading right now

Shit is really cuter than it should. The problem is that I see my neckbeard homies in their actions.

>The problem is that I see my neckbeard homies in their actions.
>implying that is a problem
sachi is my spirit animal

Well, they're not exactly as cute as they are

>spirit animal

Gross, cultural appropriation. Don't do that. This isn't /pol/. If you must have something akin to that, say "[Animal] is my patronising!"

Patronus are from Harry Potter (win) and are similar in conception though by using Patronus you aren't wiping your shoes off on to somebody else's culture.

Oh god, it even has a 1000x folded katana joke

This is actually my best christmas gift this year.