Priests and Wizards - Divine Magic and Profane Magic

Do you have any interresting thoughts about the difference between priests and wizards in fantasy settings ?
I'm not specifically talking about DnD but a lot of fantasy settings have both priests whose source of magic are Gods, and profane mages who can do magic without any help and most of the time there is mechanical differences between the two kind of magic users, druids-like magic casters also tend to have "divine magic" like priests at least in DnD and J-RPGs.
Why are some humans (and quasihumans races) able to do their own magic ?
Do Priests have any magical ability or everything come from the Gods ? if the former, then is it the same as Wizards or just a rare capacity to connect to the Gods ?

Divide to clerics and wizards is a gamist abstraction. For example in Western tradition mages work within Christian gnostic framework i.e. occultism is just a continuation of theology.

Interresting.

Nope ? no ideas ?

>Do you have any interesting thoughts about the difference between priests and wizards in fantasy settings ?
Both seek to understand and manipulate the world they exist in, wizards to it through study and practice to reverse-engineer the energies which make reality function, priests consult the words of the gods for answers instead

>Do Priests have any magical ability or everything come from the Gods ? if the former, then is it the same as Wizards or just a rare capacity to connect to the Gods ?
Depends on the setting, is their connection to the gods one or two directional? If it's just them studying the scriptures with no active participation from the god then it's very similar to the wizard manipulating arcane energy. If the god has an active role in the relationship then the priest is only making requests, the god is sorting out the if and how

I'm gonna be that asshole and just say that all those in OP's picture are mages, and priest is only used instead of white mage in the first FFT

Back in the early 70s, when D&D was an unpublished CHAINMAIL spinoff, Arneson was running a campaign with two opposed parties.
One dude in the Evil party asked if he could play a vampire. Arneson said "sure", and gave him some broken over the knee powers.
After repeatedly wiping the Good party, one of the players got fed up and demanded they get a special Vampire Hunter class.

Which is why the Priest class got added.
It was supposed to emulate Dr. Van Helsing, from the 1958 Dracula movie.

White Mages are AD&D Priests. Final Fantasy near as stole artwork.

Priests: rapes boys
Wizards: rapes demons

To me a good setting/system should have magic be the same for everyone in terms of rules and how it works. Mages should only be different in how they have the ability to use magic, and what parts of it do they excel more than others. Wizards gain power through studying magic over a course of a long period, while priests are bestowed power from their gods in return for their service. In terms of gameplay difference wizards would know orderly spells that can be learned through books and teachers, but be unable to cast some of the more mystical arts not taught for a variety of reasons. Meanwhile priests learn all sorts of spells from their gods, but only things that match the god's domain. So a nature god would teach healing and such, but teleportation might be out of their reach.

I think one of the chief differences is how priest classes look to a higher power and humble in service.

Mages consider themselves to be the higher power and want to humble everyone into their service.

Would not be too surprising if a large portion of mages are edgy atheists, often assuming that most priests are just deluded small-minded peasants, possibly serving some other great mage who is just fooling them.

I played a priest that raped a demon once.

He fell. Still worth it.

they're not all that much like an AD&D priest, who either wears heavy armour or is a druid.

Druids seem to be a weird middle ground.

In history and DnD they are priests to nature deities, or some formless personification of nature. Literature mostly wants to paint them as wizards, or some proto-form of them. Their modern lore makes them more like witches, people who practice an old animist style of magic.

I always sort of saw them as the humans who managed to unlock some of the faerie secrets and skills. Not the modern post Tolkien elves that appear in DnD and other RPGs. The scary ones that haunt old forests and burial mounds that all local people are terrified of offending or even meeting. The ones that like to randomly curse or kill people on a whim and their kings might as well be local gods of the land. Druids are the ones that learned how they do what they so and copy it themselves. They can do a lot of the same things such as shape changing, teleporting, commanding animals, illusion casting etc.

Going by the artwork, the Time Mage looks the most like a bishop/priest, and the White Mage looks more like the historical depiction of a Druid. Black Mage in the Gandalf/Odin hat is appropriate.

Had one game where the DM took the Catholic School approach and made all of the priest spells into prayers. Instead of claiming they had a spell for each occasion they had a special prayer to utter for each specific situation. The prayer for healing, prayer for strength, prayer for defense, prayer to ward against evil, ward against undead etc. Casting time was however long it took to recite the whole damn thing. Learning new prayers came from the priest gaining levels and their bishops would reward them with being allowed to learn the greater prayers only reserved for the higher echelons of the church.

Fluff description was that a priest never wanted to claim or assume that they had any power at all, and it was all their god's doing. And that a priest was the only one in the world with the actual 100% dedicated faith that would allow for a prayer to have a real result when recited. Anyone else would have some element of doubt in their mind deep down, and the prayer would not be answered. Or that person never gave themself completely over to the god for safety and security and still somewhat relied on their own ability. Which the god would refuse to answer prayers because of that.

The white mages' hammers/maces can hit decently hard. White mages were also the best option against undead, et al.

Wizards manipulate reality through the careful, methodical use of energies, rituals, and magical materials. Some of this is the manipulation of their own magical life-force, but they also employ naturally present magic.

Priests perform magic by channeling the power of a deity. They do this without understanding the actual process of what's happening. They simply beseech their god for aid with a prayer and things happen. A more accurate description of their spellcasting is "performing minor miracles". Examples of clerics from Western myth include the likes of Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Saint Patrick. They speak with the authority vested in them by God for being so righteous and pious, and command reality to bend in the name of God. It does, though they know not how exactly.

i always liked the way warcraft separated magic into, holy, fel, elemental, arcane and nature magic.

Wizard does it themself, Priest has someone else do it.

That's very, very generalized, because wizards often employ spirits, powers, intelligences and such to be commanded or channeled, but they also use words of power and ritual exercises, materials of an occult nature, all sorts of things of various kinds to make the secret and true nature of the world work for them. Who knows, that might even employ the gods in it! The wizard's source of power is many, many things sort of coalesced into a totality.

Priests are exclusively channeling the power of a god, it is direct communion with a deity, angel or saint, ultimately all leading back to a single, specific source of power, a god. It may be through mere faith, recitation of prayer or story, or study of theology. maybe all three. But it's always very focused on a single thing. It's almost like being a good warlock, instead of a contract with some dark intelligence, it's a bond with a benevolent force.

Ultimately I think Priests aren't as versatile or spread out as wizards, as often wizards dabble in darker arts a priest wouldn't touch. But I do think maybe Priests have an easier time casting their powers, as they are being helped along to a degree.

>Priest has someone else do it.
Wyy did I even pay my tuition?

>I'm not specifically talking about DnD but a lot of fantasy settings have both priests whose source of magic are Gods, and profane mages who can do magic without any help and most of the time there is mechanical differences between the two kind of magic users
What games besides D&D and Shadowrun do this?

I never liked the idea that "divine" magic looks like wizard magic except you wear a miter instead of a steeple hat.

For my settings the clergy of a religion use the same sort of magic wizards use although depending upon the wealth and sophistication of the church in general they go the Catholic route where they have their own colleges they teach magic and have spells unique to them.

Real divine magic takes the form of partial possession and shit like Moses calling down fire from the sky, things normal wizards could never do.

That said, as far as DnD goes I would take the warlock and re-make it to make it the default way clerics works.

So you know the proper way to ask, and the later thank for doing so.

Everything based off of D&D. And everything based off of that. And everything based...
The rabbit hole goes pretty deep because many early JRPGs were based off if D&D.

So what are blue mages supposed to be? Persian druids?