/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General - The Future Edition

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread:What's the best use of oracles you've seen in a campaign? PC or NPC

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iRq7Muf6CKg#t=1m02
play.spotify.com/track/5YUH290qLRcSo2VMuafShy?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open
reddit.com/r/.../5e_i_made_a_one_shot_of_we_be_goblins/
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats/
vocaroo.com/i/s0tTLbghG2xn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We've planned to meet up with the D&D group for New Year's Eve, what should I buy them as gifts?

>Agonizing Blast, friend. Nobody ever just goes warlock1.
oh. i thought your whole concept was fighting up close. i would honestly just skip either warlock entirely and make an up close fighter of some kind, or skip fighting in magical darkness entirely because you're a ranged combatant. i mean you can do both, but warlock 2 just to have a slightly better attack cantrip is a huge waste.

>What's the best use of oracles you've seen in a campaign?
The BBEG of the campaign is a man-made magical oracle intended to come up with the best military and political strategies / spy on distant figures, got fed too much knowledge, and wound up way smarter than its creators.

Now it's a runaway God with an ever-growing network of divination sensors everywhere and an army of human "priests" to do its bidding (grow said network, "correct" anyone who is even thinking of harming it).

It's basically the magical fantasy equivalent of "whoops, the AI got away from us and now we're its bitches".
youtube.com/watch?v=iRq7Muf6CKg#t=1m02

Butt plugs shaped like your dick so they can warm up before each session

What is the oracle itself? Magical zeroes and ones? Or does it have a physical presence?

I wasn't the person you were asking. I suppose he could pick any other invocation. Invocations are awesome.

>Invocations are awesome.
true that

It began as a number of runed crystal blocks arranged in a specific configuration and became more complex and large as time went on, eventually encompassing a massive underground pyramid. When it finally achieved "sentience" its whole consciousness shifted into pure magic and thought. It now has an incorporeal entity that inhabits its original pyramidal complex the same way that the specific patterns of human neurons and chemical processes birth a soul which sits in the body.

As it was intended as a military weapon, it was constructed to be unassaultable, uninfiltratable, for fear that the enemy nation might learn of its existence and sabotage it. None of its builders ever thought they'd need to "kill" it or that it would get away from them, so it's as secure as they could make it. It has continued to expand its capabilities and secure itself even more, using its immense knowledge and crude precognitive powers to design defenses unconsiderable by mere mortals.

Its chief weakness is that it is incapable of direct manipulation of objects outside of its complex. It has rudimentary spellcasting capabilities within its own body, which it uses to carve and position new crystal blocks that expand its power, but it cannot cast anything like an offensive spell. It has nothing like golems or other autonomous internal/external defenders under its control, only the human priests (which it cannot grant spells to) which all serve of either their own volition (they earnestly believe if it is a nascent God worthy of their devotion) or fear (because to turn on it risks certain destruction at the hands of other priests or the political machinery that also lives in fear of its knowledge). It essentially has life-ruining blackmail on everyone, and if that's not enough to get people to cooperate, the assassins will.

Spellbook cards for their class
Gamescience dice
Miniatures of their character
Props for their character

Still trying to nail down the dagger master feat. Realized three attacks every round is way too much so tried to nerf the throwing slightly.

>New feat: Dagger Master.
>When you use a dagger, its damage die changes from d4 to d6.
>When you use your bonus action (from two-weapon fighting) to make an off-hand ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can immediately make another ranged attack with a thrown weapon against a different target within 5 feet of the first target.
>Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attacks using daggers.
>You can draw any number of daggers during your turn.

It is reliant on "willing" humans to mine and transport the raw materials needed for its physical and spiritual growth, enforce its directives, and expand its divination "coverage" through the creation and installation of sensory equipment. It cannot simply spy on distant locations or persons; it needs attuned crystal devices placed in proximity.

It accomplishes the spread of these devices by providing beneficial services to the owners. A town or farm with an Oracle Obelisk in it receives weather and geological forecasts, instantaneous transmission of news and market information from other networked locales, advanced warning of approaching enemies (monsters, wild animals), and so on. Private citizens seek smaller devices for their ability to read and relate documents and signage, act as a mail service, and remember things for them. The devices have a detection range limited by size and form, and must be connected to the larger "network" that stretches back to the actual Oracle to function (a personal device doesn't work in a town without an obelisk; an obelisk doesn't work if someone breaks a repeater station that connects it to everything else).

The commonfolk think it's benign and about time those damn wizards did something for the peasantry. They enjoy when some uppity nobleman who dared speak out gets revealed as a terrible person (whether or not they are actually guilty of the stated crime). They aren't even aware of the whole constantly-being-spied-on part, so the Big Brother aspect flies right over most peoples' heads.

So warlock is about at will stuff with their invocations, wizards are about sheer amount of spells known, and sorcerers are about stronger spells or refreshing their spell slots. Is there any way to bring them all up to par with one another?

>That oracle's name? Roko's basilisk.

Sorcerers need a bit of a boost in versatility to match the wizard.

Warlocks are completely unrelated and shouldn't be judged against the other two.

>any number of
railgun when?

It needs to be destroyed

>destroying the medieval internet
Do you know how bad hte crop yields would be if you did that? People would starve. Why do you hate the peasantry? What's more, the economy would tank! We'd all go broke. It'd be total anarchy. Rioting in the streets. The Oracle brings law and order. Things are so much better now.

Son, I picked the Tracer Tong ending in Deus Ex.
Computer Fascism is still unacceptable.

I need some calm and fitting background music

fitting of what

walking down a nice dirt road or adventuring through some light forest. Also for inside a dungeon/cave, bonus points if it has no obnoxious horn swells

try this play.spotify.com/track/5YUH290qLRcSo2VMuafShy?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

Are there any rules for diseases?

A dictatorship isn't so bad as long as it has everyone's best interests at heart. The problem with human dictatorships is they don't; people are corruptible, but the Oracle is perfect. It will never harm the undeserving, and it will never let the immoral prosper. It's everything we've ever claimed to want from a God, but it actually ACTS.

The origin of the term "fascist" comes from the fasces, a bundle of sticks surrounding an axe. It symbolizes collective strength through unity; a single stick can be broken, but together they are strong. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and the Oracle, unlike any man, can see all the parts.

How can you deny the prosperity and safety that the Oracle has brought us?

A utilitarian dictator is still a dictator. Give me liberty of give me death.

I think it's a perfectly fine comparison to make.

Wizards get rituals. Warlocks can get those rituals through an invocation and tome, but they're only replicating a wizard.
Warlocks can get disguise self at will. Wizards get more spell slots, so they can afford to.

Warlocks are worse casters, but they get light armour, a few boons and 1d8 health but in the end I think the loss in casting makes them not very much better than a wizard in utility. Their main strength is Eldritch Blast, which the wizard can't compete with in cantrips.

I don't know the official rules, but I let my party make a constitution saving through. If they fail, they get disadvantage on everything that would make sense. Every day they get to make another saving throw chance to become cured.

You have no right to make a decision that sends the rest of us into squalor just to satisfy your own desires. You can find your liberty beyond the lands of the Oracle. Get out, heathen.

Oh, I will say that warlock gets some unique things like invisible familiars, armor of agathys, hunger of hadar...

In the end, though, many of those things still work fine with multiclassing and later on warlock isn't getting anything awfully unique. From 5 onwards while warlock has a few unique utilities that wizard doesn't have/can't use as often, the wizard will have unique utilities that warlock doesn't have/can't use as often.

Bard is a real skill monkey caster.

Eh, I feel it doesn't warrant my ASI. Especially when I can get +2 dex and just pick a differing weapon. I think you gata make it really appealing.

Advantage to conceal daggers.
Weapon dice which roll a 6, add extra d6 damage
When you attack a target, you can make a extra attack against a target within 5 feet of that target.
You can draw a dagger as part of any other action
Daggers don't add to your carried weight
You can make proficiency number of daggers (shivs) as part of a short rest (one use) in any situation (prison, wilderness)
Good at poison application, advantage or something with poisons
Reaction to give a ranged attacker disadvantage (knocking the projectile out of the air)
Climb speed (using the daggers to climb)

Just a few examples of wacky stuff that could be cool.

Maybe a stupid question here, but I want to be sure:

When I make attacks with a Tentacle Rod, are they weapon attacks? I would think no, but I'm not certain.

Well, this is mainly to bring daggers up to par with other weapons for those who want the visual, and maybe something little and unique on top.

I really like the shivs idea.

The drawing daggers part is what I'm already attempting to communicate.

I don't really like the rest.

I considered adding one more die of sneak damage, but that might be too much?

I'm playing a Revised Ranger (Beast Conclave) at level 4 and am about to hit 5. I'm thinking of multiclassing into either Fighter or Rogue at some point as either class would open up a lot of versatility, but I can't decide where to break off of Ranger. Level 5 gets me a 2nd attack for my wolf though Coordinated Attack and 2nd level Ranger spell slots (not that big a fan of the Ranger spell list to be honest), but if I wait until level 6, then I'm gimping myself on atleast one ASI (which means gimping my wolf on an ASI as well).

There's also the option of staying straight Ranger too. Pretty conflicted. Anyone play a Beast Conclave Ranger to a decently high level with some insight to share?

I got a question for you guys. I am in the process of getting into DnD myself, Im currently designing a oneshot to teach most game mechanics. That being said I never have DMed before or played DnD.
At the end of the oneshot dungeon (its going to be a museum that got ransacked by goblins and made home.)
There is going to be a boss.

Heres the question. How would you balance a boss thats both fun and challenging at the same time? There are 3 players (Lvl 2 Rogue,Druid,Sorc).
My initial idea was a goblin boss wielding a magic shovel that can dig fast and fling sand around, the area is covered in pitfalls.

How would I stat an encounter as the one I described above.

>What's the best use of oracles you've seen in a campaign? PC or NPC

Over in /epg/, some dumbasses asked an "Oracle" AI a question about extrastellar space that it didn't know.

So the AI dispatched Von Neuman probes to deconstruct the solar system in order to send a fleet of observation drones into the Milky Way.

Now THAT is good use of an oracle.

Just visit your friendly level 3 Cleric, bro.

Could you GFB and/or Shillelagh an animate Staff of the Adder?

Just use a ready-made oneshot like We Be Goblins on your first time brah

reddit.com/r/.../5e_i_made_a_one_shot_of_we_be_goblins/

I'd honestly put it all under a bulky 'throwing master' feat.

>Whenever you throw a weapon, you may immediately draw a new weapon/improvised weapon that is on your person.
>You do not gain disadvantage from throwing a non-improvised thrown weapon at long range. Thrown weapons qualify for from the 'sharpshooter' feat.
>You may add your damage modifier to your bonus attack when using two-weapon-fighting with thrown weapons.
>The damage of non-finesse 1d4 thrown weapons is 1d6 instead, including for improvised weapons.
>You are proficient with all improvised weapons when throwing them.
>You can make a grapple with an appropriate thrown grappling-hook-style weapon at range. Provided it is within 20ft. Instead of rolling athletics, you make an attack roll against the enemy's athletics/acrobatics. The rules for getting free are the same as for the net.

I don't know, really, the feat I just suggested doesn't have a key benefit such as stunning an enemy on a crit or giving a +10 damage type thing. I feel that it'd be better to have thrown weapons along with a dagger feat at the same time, however.

I don't actually think this is strong enough and it's too bulky, but I'm not in the best state (christmas) to balance it out right now.

We use this homebrew throwing feat at my table

THROWN WEAPON MASTER
You can draw a weapon as part of an attack which uses it.
Your thrown weapon attacks ignore half and three-quarters cover and gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your proficiency bonus.
You can choose to inflict nonlethal damage with a thrown weapon attack.
As a bonus action on your turn, until the end of your turn, your thrown weapon attacks do not take disadvantage from being made at long range.

Do critical hits on unarmed attacks do 2+STR?

Well, I want it to be mainly useful for rogues who want to use daggers instead of rapier/shortsword, the throwing is just a little bonus. I feel like rogue with dagger is such an iconic look. The 1d6 is meant to be mainly for melee.

Hey, reposting from last night.

Looking for some feedback on some 5e StarShip weapons I'm trying to balance for a Sci-Fi themed game I'm running, particularly interested in the advice of other GMs

Do the damage outputs for the weapons in this PDF balance with the HP levels I've assigned the different ship classes?

No. You double die rolls; 1 is not a die roll.

Would a 16-16-16-8-8-8 variant human fighter played like demon's souls be a bad idea

What kind of weapon were you considering?

Enjoy eating every Wisdom save spell all campaign.

Gotta eat something

Everything.

That's honestly something that only really qualifies for being a 'free feat' over a training course or something.

It pretty much enables you to use thrown weapons, but as a feat you might as well take a ranged weapon and sharpshooter or something.

Not saying I came up with anything that makes it viable over sharpshooter/great weapon master either, but there needs to be a key combat feature in there somewhere, I think.

Well, daggers are already perfectly fine. They allow a rogue to use two-weapon-fighting at range for only a -1 damage per hit penalty, which is barely anything at later levels.
Honestly, you should probably rule that by standard a thrown weapon user can draw more thrown weapons, it's kinda unfair otherwise.

Dual wielder still works in that case if you have 1d6 non-light finesse thrown weapons, though dual wielder is still just a '+1 damage, +1 AC' feat.

I'd probably give dual wielder a slight buff myself, but I guess the 1 AC could be worth it.

>implying it isn't a dex fighter with 16 in dex, con and wis for all th ebest saves
How is it not 16-16-15-8-8-8? Is this not point buy?

>How is it not 16-16-15-8-8-8? Is this not point buy?

Triton.

I'd go 15+1 Str, 15+1 Con and then 15+1 Dex from Athlete

The people deserve freedom. We're going to give it to them no matter the cost!

>You can choose to inflict nonlethal damage with a thrown weapon attack.
5e doesn't really have "nonlethal" damage, though. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with an attack, you say "but I just want to knock it out, not kill it", and you can do it with any weapon.

>gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your proficiency bonus.
That's one of the biggest continuous flat damage bonuses in the game. The Dueling fighting style gives you +2. Magic items rarely go above +3. Other abilities that give more bonus damage are conditional (get +10 to damage when you take -5 on the attack roll) or require spending a resource (rage damage, which caps at +4). With the exception of a 20th level barbarian, no character without epic boons even gets that big of a damage bonus from their ability modifier.

>As a bonus action on your turn, until the end of your turn, your thrown weapon attacks do not take disadvantage from being made at long range.
There doesn't really need to be a bonus action for this. Sharpshooter lets you do this automatically. Though if you were trying to balance this with Sharpshooter by requiring a bonus action here in exchange for the much, much bigger damage bonus above, it's not nearly enough.

I mean, it won't be that bad. but like said, you've gonna have 3 abilities where you just eat it. Do you want to just be a brick? Do do that all you need is Con and then STR or DEX, maybe both, so you can do it with that array no prob. It's more a question of what are you okay with being bad at?

This guy gets it

I guess I just want to munchkin physically.

As a 4th level bard, is it better to choose an ability score increase or a feat?

The best choice is whatever fits your character the best

Generally you want to spend your first ASI or two maximizing your key ability scores (for a bard, that'd be Charisma and probably Dexterity), but if you choose a feat instead, it's not like you'll be completely hobbled. Your spell attacks will miss and enemies will succeed on saving throws about 5% more than they would otherwise, and you'll have fewer uses of Bardic Inspiration to go around.

For a Lore bard, this is a much bigger deal, since they're a bit more dependent on spellcasting. But if you're playing a Valor bard, then leaning on your combat abilities is okay, and maybe taking a feat will allow you to do that better.

It also depends on what feat you were planning to take.

What are you going for? I'd say more CHA and DEX is always good.

Warcaster might be cool on a bard depending on your style. Maybe one of the melee feats or sharpshooter if you're Valor.

>Like first paladin classes
>New paladin UA
>Both are pretty metal
>Conquest gets good oath spells, decent divinities, a great aura, meh 15th level, and metal capstone

>Treachery
>oh baby
>Those utilitarian oath spells make me moist
>Solid divinities
>Aura that encourages getting stuck in the thick of melee
>Useful disengage at 15
>Great capstone

I am infinitely sad I can't play them both in a short time span.

Okay, Here's a super basic build where you should just be able to beat some ass pretty reliably,

Put two of the 16s into CON and STR, put the two +1 bonus's you get from variant human into these also to roll then over to 17 each

I would say put the remaining 16 in either DEX of WIS, depending on what you want to be good at in an emergency, acrobatics or perception/survival

Take Dueling as the fighting style, grab one of the 1d8 one handed martial weapons, grab a shield, grab the Chainmail, take the static HP increase for the first few levels

As for the bonus human feat there's a lot of cool options. Savage attack is cool because you can reroll the damage die, Shield Mastery lets you do some cool shit with shove, so read through the section and see what kind of play style you want

At 3rd level grab either champion or battlemaster

But yeah that should put your damage output at 1d8+5, with an AC of 18, and a starting HP of 13->22->31, you'll mash some heads

What fits a War Cleric obsessed with becoming strong and overthrowing corrupt nobility to win back his waifu? I need a level 4 ASI or feat.

>cleric
>waifu
that better be a platonic waifu you celibate-sworn piece of shit

Seems like if he's obsessed with becoming strong at lvl 4 it would be an ASI to STR or CON, then maybe a feat at the lvl 8 increase

Is there any Fey-Touched backgrounds? I can't exactly find any official ones.

Is Weapon Master ever worth taking?

It's for a lore bard. The problem with a stat increase is I end up with an even increase on one build (S8 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 8 Char 18) but an odd number on another (S8 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 10 Char 18 +1 extra point) and I don't know which build is better. I was thinking of taking warcaster or inspiring leader.

Tiefling Bard, Emerald Enclave Faction Agent Background, Chaotic Neutral. Any ideas?

The numbers given in build are with Ability Score Increase taken. Added 1 to Char and 1 to Int in the first one, and 1 to Char plus a floater in the second.

Take the first one if you have a fun idea for playing lower-than-average wisdom (a super-skilled and smart bard but too self-obsessed to notice what's happening around him, perhaps?)

Nope, they totally boned, but she got married off to some chucklefuck later, and the PC got banished.

That could work. Are heavy weapons worth it without the feat, or is warhammer and shield acceptable?

please let the Mystic version three be out by Feb

I think the greatsword and maul are, not so much the greataxe. The Halberd is neat because of reach.

>you say "but I just want to knock it out, not kill it", and you can do it with any weapon.
But not a ranged attack.

>That's one of the biggest continuous flat damage bonuses in the game.
But it doesn't put it ahead of the damage curve vs other weapons & feats. Yes, its a big bump at high levels, but it has to, in order to be viable.

That's a good idea. Actually works with the characters I'm playing. Thank you.

I thought adding +6 Dmg to each thrown weapon attack at higher levels would have sufficed...
see

Does anyone have good resources for Emerald Enclave lore?

Halberd would be pretty badass. Might convince my eldritch knight mercenary pal to halberd it up with me so we can be polearm pals.

Where the fuck can I buy big sheets of paper with big grids as if for a battlemap? Vinyl maps are starting to get a bit gay.

Amazon, presumably

A fighter wants as big a boost to damage on every hit, so +1.5 to damage on a maul is a significant boost to them. Also, they might not benefit from polearm mastery's bonus action if they're using war magic. Also, they might not benefit from polearm mastery's reaction if they're using shield/absorb elements.
Unless they're going quarterstaff+shield+multiclass eldritch blast knight or something, they probably won't be so well off using PAM unless they already have GWM. It'd be better on a battlemaster, I think.

Of course, they might be an EK who has no idea what they're doing, doesn't have shield+absorb elements and doesn't have GFB+BB and they'd hardly suffer for going halberding. Or, sentinel+PAM is still a cool combo for them

Get a wall of sentinel+PAM pikemen.

If you're going heavy armor, might want to do +1 Dex, +1 Con, +1 Str from Heavy Armor Master

Yeah. Makes a lot more sense. Athlete is cute and all, and might be worthy if you have a team of grease mages or something, but otherwise doesn't seem worth it in comparison to something like heavy armour master. But then, you might as well sacrifice a point of dex for two points of wis, or two points of dex for four points of wis if that's possible.

Fair points. I'll encourage him to optimize, I guess. Being more effective at killing is arguably in character, as a War Cleric dedicated to efficiently dominating situations.

Question on Magic Initiate:

If I pick up Feather Fall with the feat as an Arcane Trickster, can I use a spell slot to cast it if need be?

So basically you made a BBEG that is holding everyones browsing/porn history on ransom.

No. Magic Initiate is a separate 1/day power

I ask as per the ruling in Sage Advice about classes like the Wizard being able to use spell slots for the MI spell, but I'm not sure if the same ruling extends to the EK and the AT. A quick search makes me inclined to say yes, but I wanted to make sure.

>choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again.

No spell slots allowed.

No spell slot either. This isn't like the Simpsons.

>But not a ranged attack.
I missed that. So then it's mostly a matter of language; since "non-lethal damage" is no longer a thing, it'd be something like "When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a ranged attack made with a thrown weapon, you can choose to knock the creature unconscious, rather than kill it."

A +1 in damage is roughly equivalent to increasing the die size by one (d4->d6->d8). If you increase the damage die of a handaxe by 6, it's equivalent to a d18, compared to a greataxe's d12. Plus you can throw it 60 feet (or throw it 20 feet and keep your bonus action for another attack, because it's light).

At 5th level, when a martial character gets Extra Attack, it's a +3 to damage. With 18 Strength, you can do 1d6 + 7 (10.5) damage on a hit over 60 feet, or use a bonus action to do 1d6 + 3 (6.5) damage an extra time, or 27.5 total. A barbarian at this level can rage three times per day, with each lasting up to a minute a pop. With a greataxe, that barbarian would deal 1d12 + 6 (12.5) damage twice, or 25. Anyone with this feat would outdamage a raging barbarian every time they take the Attack action, and they're not constrained by a time limit. It only gets worse from there.

This whole thread is bullshit.

Has anyone built a mundane crossbow fighter before?

Im torn between the UA Sharpshooter and Champion.

Pros & Cons for each
>UA Sharpshooter
+ 18th level lets you fire an additional attack if its your first action in a combat. - Seems powerful if I live that long.
+ Can sacrifice advantage to gain +1 Attack, which at level 5 means (3) and at level 20 means (5)
- I have to take the Crossbow Expert Feat to multi-fire, but its other benefits overlap with the 10th level "Close Quarter Shooting"

>Champion
+ Immediate 19-20 crit range, improving to 18-20 later.
+ Bonus to all physical checks without proficiency

Looking for insight as to which is better

>Has anyone built a mundane crossbow fighter before?
fulgore from ki looks like predator. dont no if u scrubs noticedd

I let my friend choose Genasi as a Race for our first campaign which is LMoP. We have HotDQ up next.

How does the world react to a water genasi druid? How rare are they? Any lore I should know?

Yes yes, that's an outdated ruling.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats/

>How does the world react to a water genasi druid?
Average people would be scared as hell.

vocaroo.com/i/s0tTLbghG2xn