Mutants and Masterminds questions

Mutants and Masterminds questions.

Can someone explain the damage resistance matrix in the main book for me? The x axis is Damage Bonus and the Y axis is check result. Do those respectively refer to 10 plus damage rank, and the die roll plus bonus for the damage resistance check? Or, is the X axis JUST the damage rank with no addition?

Second question: If I have no ranks in the Close Combat *skill* or Advantage, but both my Fighting and Strength scores are high (8 each), and I'm planning on throwing people/cars, is there any point to the Improvised Weapon advantage? It explicitly says you use your close combat: unarmed skill bonus, rather than your *general* close combat skill bonus? What does *that* even mean?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/026war1l4oo42/Mutants_and_Masterminds
mediafire.com/file/xw6ao5nllqod709/Hero High, Revised Edition (PDF)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, QTDDTOT thread, I guess. Bumping

I don't get what you're asking for your first question.

If you have Strenght 8, Fighting 4 and close combat unarmed 4, then with an unarmed attack, such as a punch or a kick, you are going to roll to hit 1d20+8(fighting 4+CC:U 4) against the target AC. If you hit, they have to roll to resist damage with their toughness. Let's say you try to hit someone who has 4 parry and 4 toughness: they will have an AC of 14 and when you beat that, they will have to roll 1d20+4(toughness 4) against a DC of 23 (15+your strenght 8)

Secondly, you have to select your close combat skills and advantage: you can have close combat: staff, close combat: unarmed, close combat: sword et cetera... so if you have fighting 8 all your close combat skills will be 8, regardless of anything else. If you are planning on using improvised weapons, if you have close combat: unarmed 8 then you can use those those weapons without having (putting it in D&D terms) "proficiency".

Let's say you have unarmed combat skill at 8, when your fighting ability is 4: you would not be able to use a sword as well as your unarmed combat (your sword skill is equal to your fighting ability: 4) while your punches are unarmed combat 8 (a much higher chance to hit). So if you take Improvised weapon as an advantage, you can now use a ladder or a baby as an improvised weapon with your Close combat: Unarmed skill (8), instead of selecting another skill Close Combat: ladders/staff/chair.

If you are planning to throw the improvised weapon, though, that falls into the category of Throwing. So you would have to get Ranged Combat: Throwing, if you want to have the ability to throw improvised weapons.

You actually mostly answered my question in your example of the 23, so it's 15 plus damage rank. As far as the improvised weapon advantage, I guess what I'm asking is this: I have no skill ranks in any close combat whatsoever, *just* STR and FGT. Is there any point to taking the improvised weapons advantage, in that case?

For the part you missed, look at the Y axis in pic related. Is that number the total of their resistance check toll plus their appropriate resistance bonus, like toughness? So if they roll a 12 and have a toughness of 5, I'd look at 17 along the y axis and then find the result by cross referencing the 15+damage rank along the x axis. Does that make sense?

Yeah, the matrix is just an easy quicklook to get if someone took damage and all. Damage compared to save.

Time saver, nothing else, it doesn't do anything you can't math. Here, have the best GM's screen evar.

Fuck, forgot picture, here's the table in the book I'm talking about.

Yes, you are correct.

There are sample characters in one of the power profiles who specialize in thrown weapons, and all of them use a combination of Improvised Weapons and Skill Mastery to weaponize anything within their reach.

Damage is still a function of STR for thrown weapons, IIRC.

The Improvised Weapon Advantage gives a +1 bonus to damage whenever you use an improvised weapon.

Plus, you would become immune to certain reaction damage types if you use improvised weapons instead of hitting with your fists. Let's say you're trying to hit a dude made of wood or thorns with a chair: you wouldn't get damaged by touching him as if you would when you hit him with your fists.

You could take Improvised Weapons if you were going for Unarmed combat and throwing skills, instead of only Close Combat (Fighting) abilities/skills.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it even worth taking improvised weapon advantage if I have no skill ranks? I would have no CC: Unarmed ranks to use in place of anything, cuz I'm already just using my raw ability scores.

Before I forget, the +1 bonus to damage for the improvised weapon can't go higher than the PL.

At least my GM ruled it out, since my character was already really strong as it was.

Nah, that's RAW, your GM made the right by the book call.

Thanks for that, I can actually use this without the need to have a book open. I was just too damn lazy to take the shot myself.

Bumping this question.

Bumping again. I just wanna know if there's no point in taking the improvised weapon advantage if you don't actually have ranks in the close combat: unarmed skill. He just has raw FGT and STR, so wouldn't there be no point in getting the advantage?

How much Fight? And how much Str? Alos what PL are you at?

PL 8, STR 8, FGT 8, DEX 2. So I'll need to put some ranks in ranged combat for improvised weapons to actually hit well, but my to-hit and damage for a starting PL 8 character is already maxed out. That means the Improvised Weapon Advantage is useless for me, right?

No.

Mostly, unless something drops your STR, but on the other hand, as the guy noted above, it does allow you to freely add different descriptors.

Grab up a bit of rebar, and you can exchange bludgeoning for piercing, for example, or a makeshift sword for slashing. So on and so forth.

It can be worth it, and it is only 1 PP, even if you're at caps.

But can't I already use improvised weapons by just picking up an improvised object? All the advantage does is increase your damage with the items and lets you substitute a high skill bonus in place of a lower general attack bonus. Amirite?

Oh, right. True, I suppose. Then yes, other then as a buffer in case your str is decreased, no point.

How do you guys handle Multiple Minions? As a GM was thinking of giving my players a one use item for Christmas, one of them being a "kingdom". Essentially, the player would be able to summon an army of 32 little artificial knights created from nanomachines.

Would using Force rules and having them as one big unit work? And how would you normally handle it without resorting to those rules?

>Would using Force rules and having them as one big unit work?
Kind of, I guess.

>And how would you normally handle it without resorting to those rules?
I wouldn't let sone one summon 32 minions. Aim for either a manageable number, or so goddamn many you can model it as one character with Insubstantial and a swarm descriptor.

I guess Force rules it is for me.
Also, another question: I also made a Christmas equivalent of an Alchemy Jug with a colossal amount of output of marshmellow whip, hot chocolate, cider, eggnog, wine, etc.

Would Create be suitable for this power, or should it be something else?

Third question in that is not a thin veiled excuse for bumping I assure:

How do you handle effects such as swallowing someone whole?

Totally safe for work reasons I promise[/spoilers]

Tbh I'd probably just venture out of defining it in proper power rules and use the death trap mechanic. (Well, after a few rounds of grapple for the process of going in.)
Either cutting your way out or upsetting it enough to get vomited out.

Problem is that I want to have it function as a power. I'm running a campaign with Corruption and one of my players may or may not end up with amphibious mutations.

Well, that would require more than my meager experience with the system, so sorry can't help further.

Grapple rules and suffocation.

One of the Snare extras you can grab (in 2e, Ultimate Power) is literally swallowing someone whole.

Oh I'll look it up

My players are Pathfinders babbies with 2 years of experience, but I'm in love with the system. Will they accept it?

May try to start them on 2e with familiar dnd classification of things

That's exactly what I'm doing. Also, the 2e is the only one in Spanish

Is there an equivalent statted in one of the Power Profiles for 3e? Because I' am not that familiar with 2e material at all.

Ultimate Power, page 76. The Engulf extra.

Not that I can see. However, the text for the Ensare extra is as follows:

>Engulf (+0): You “snare” targets by grappling them. This includes creatures that swallow opponents whole or heroes able to engulf targets in an animated cloak. Your snare has no range and requires a melee attack roll. However, your target is rendered bound and helpless on a failed save, rather than entangled. Once you have engulfed the target, the snare has a sustained duration. You suffer Feedback (see the Feedback flaw description) from attacks against the snare, since you are the snare! If you are stunned, any engulfed victims are freed

To be honest, I'm not as familiar with 3e as I am 2e. But... lets see.

Affliction (immobile, resisted by parry, overcame by strength or damage)? Not sure if I did it quite right since 3e builds powers differently and a whole bunch of different powers in 2e have been consolidated under the generic Affliction for 3e.

Thank you very much! This helps a lot.

Anyone have the pdfs for 3rd edition? I cant seem to find them

Yo, senpai. Gotcha.

mediafire.com/folder/026war1l4oo42/Mutants_and_Masterminds

Let's say I want to make a character with eye beams of some kind (like heat vision or whatever), but also have the power to make their eyes fly around like this pic.

How would you recommend doing this?

My current idea is an array with 3 states.

1: Original state, just heat vision
2: One eye, half strength heat vision plus summoning powers to create a single "eye minion" that has heat vision at half strength, linked to remote sensing
3: Both eyes, no heat vision on player, but two eye minions with heat vision (half strength each) and simultaneous remote sensing

Summoned things are supposed to disappear when defeated but I figure I can make it a complication where they need to be retrieved if incapacitated, and may cause semi-permanent vision impairment (depending on available healers) if they get injured.

2e user from earlier. 2e actually has the Anatomic Separation power.

3e appears to have (via the Power Profiles) put Anatomic Separation under the Summon Minions power - check out the Summoning Minions Power Profile book, it should be in the mediafire link posted just above.

2e's Anatomic Separation has the separated body parts just go inert if they get disabled, they don't disappear. As they are actually a part of you, I'd say the same would apply under 3rd edition.

Could I argue that I can apply the Permanent flaw/modifier to Impervious Toughness, Leaping, Senses and Speed power effects? My argument is that they're inherent aspects of the character's physiology as he's a genetically engineered human and thus can't be removed, only weakened.

Maybe, depending on the descriptors you use. Ultimately, whether it's acceptable would be up to your GM.

Personally I probably wouldn't allow the Permanent modifier on all of them depending on your arguments.

Any idea on how to add files to that? I got hero high here.

mediafire.com/file/xw6ao5nllqod709/Hero High, Revised Edition (PDF)

I'm making a character that was genetically modified by a chemical agent spilled into the municipal water supply about a decade ago. This means his physical powers are inherent to his physiology due to his DNA being completely changed.

I had to double check the rules, because other than spotting this thread I hadn't read them for either 2e or 3e in a while.

For 3e:

The Protection power is already Permanent by default, no need for that modifier. Impervious is just an extra on Protection.

Leaping and Speed are Sustained duration abilities, not Continuous, so Permanent doesn't work like that for them - you literally cannot turn off the power if it's Permanent.

Senses are also already Permanent by default.

So really, what you need to look at is the Innate Extra, not the Permanent flaw. Innate is what makes powers immune to Nullify.

In which case, after re-reading the rules for Innate, I probably still wouldn't allow it especially after you clarified. Innate is for stuff like a ghost's incorporeality, an elephant's size, things like that - something that is very specifically part of that being's species or type.

Your character was presumably a regular human, the abilities gained shouldn't be Innate. A cheetah's speed is Innate, a bee's flight is Innate. A human's powers gained from a mutation are not Innate.

No idea, sorry. Maybe try contacting the one who has control over that profile...? Although no idea how you'd do that.

Sure, I would allow it. You can also apply Impervious to your Stamina-derived Toughness bonus rather than purchased separately, and having ranks in that seems more fitting for your concept.

He is claiming that he has been altered to such degree that all those are inherent properties of his inhuman character. So I would allow it all freely.

A guy born with wings can fly. You can't poof-negate his wings any more than you could on a bird.

bump

>A guy born with wings can fly. You can't poof-negate his wings any more than you could on a bird.

Happens in X-Men all the time when mutant powers are suppressed.

And they don't matter.

It is a fun system

Yes?

Well, technically, that would be more like a Transformed Condition: Powerless version of self.
That's what makes Mutants and Masterminds so great: you can get a single result in multiple ways.

I'd accept it either way. As long as it makes comic book sense for the story. It's worth a Hero Point or whatever they're called, anyways, when there's that sort of complication. "These shackles nullify mutant powers. Your wings don't disappear, but they suddenly feel useless, limp and heavy, like the muscles have forgotten how to move."

bump

Going to be running a solo session with three level 12 party members (two NPCs) against a power level 18 soon. How fucked are they?

Also how fair or unfair is giving Hero Points to players whenever the villain uses a Hero Point based ability? Should I give them to all the players, or only the players that are affected by the effect in place?

moar?

Power Level 18 is balls to the wall powerful. A PL difference of 6 is the equivalent of Spiderman going up some random ass beat cop off the street. If you build your PL 18 guy anything like he should be built, he'll reduce your PC's to a smear on the ground if they just try to waltz up to them.

I generally run it where the PC's affected get the HP, regardless if it's one of them or all of them.

One important thing many people miss about Permanent powers is that you can't use extra effort with them, so no boosting the rank and more importantly, no stunting.

Can you character push themselves to be more bullet proof? Likely not, and therefore such a power would be Permanent in duration. Can they push themselves to jump higher or run faster? Yes, and therefore those powers are not Permanent in duration.

Also, you can't put Perma powers in Arrays.

That's going to be a very difficult fight.

Combat power generally doubles for every two PLs you add to a character - so a PL14 would be roughly a match for two PL12s.

Essentially? Your three PL12s are going to lose. Hard. Only crazy luck and/or being supremely tactical will allow them to get out of that fight in anything approaching one piece.

As for Hero Points based abilities - only reward players with Hero Points if the ability directly affects them or the actions they have taken - if you use a point of fiat to negate one of their abilities, give them a Hero Point in exchange. They're narrative coins that you exchange with players.

Well, I will confess...this boss is kinda supposed to be out of the league for the sake of story. But I didn't just wanna pull "oh, the boss just knocks you out", I want them to feel the power of this enemy and maybe try to defeat them in someway. To be fair, this enemy is also very Strength/Toughness focused and not much else. By the time the whole party faces this enemy for real, it'll be tough but withing their PL.

Gif fairly related.

Okay, listen. Designing appropriately challenging encounters can be weirdly difficult because of the math involved.

Like I mentioned earlier, an increase of 2 power levels is roughly doubling the combat ability of a character, and assuming you're adding to their saves? This is like Luke Cage tier trying to beat on Superman, right now. In fact, going by DC Adventures, PL18 is /stronger/ than Superman.

So, appropriately challenging encounters.

You need to decide how dangerous you want the encounter to be, on a scale from 0-6, with 0 being trivial, not even bothering to roll to 6 being essentially your PL12x3 versus a PL18.

>Encounter Danger Rank
0 - no danger
X - minimal danger, almost no chance of defeat
XX - modest danger, PCs can suffer some injuries if they're not careful
XXX - significant danger, PCs are likely to win but will require smart play to come out on top
XXXX - serious danger, PCs coming against a real threat and are just as likely to win as to lose
XXXXX - severe danger, PCs are outmatched and without clever play and teamwork, are more likely than not going to lose
XXXXXX - overwhelming danger, PCs are very likely to lose and only extreme luck and amazing tactical work can they hope to come out on top

>Encounter Challenge Rank

Encounter Challenge Rank is the Danger Rank above times the number of party members.

So, three PL 12 PCs going into a fight that's overwhelmingly dangerous (XXXXXX) needs to be Challenge Rank 18.

The challenge rank of an encounter can be distributed any way you like, from many NPCs to just a single one.

An NPC's Challenge Rank is equal to their power level.

Challenge Rank 1: Party PL -4 or lower
CR 2: Party PL -2 or -3
CR 3: Party PL -1
CR 4: Party PL
CR 5-6: Party PL +1
CR 7-9: Party PL+2
CR 10-13: Party PL+3
CR 14-19: Party PL+4
CR 20+: Party PL +5

Let's use your party for an example. Continued in another post.

You went ahead and gave your villain a PL of 18, and have three PL12 PCs.

So we can use this encounter builder and go backwards - the NPC power level is Party's PL +6, so he's automatically beyond Challenge Rank 20. You've got three PCs, and Encounter Danger for the purpose of this encounter builder maxes out at 6. 6 (Danger Rank) x 3 (number of PCs) = Challenge Rank 18, or Party's PL +4.

So realistically, if you want a fight that three PL12 PCs are going to struggle with, you could get away with PL16 just fine.

Also, if he's not got as much in his other defenses as he does in Toughness and presumably Fortitude, or otherwise made trade-offs in favor of attack versus defense, you should probably average his abilities out - a PL18 villain who is really only PL18 because of his offensive power but has something more like PL12 in terms of defenses is probably actually closer to PL15 in actual power.

Yeah, I'll think I'll stick with Power Level 16. 18 seems like a bit overkill for anything more than the cosmic BBEG of the story.

bump

does anybody know of an active RP group for M und M online? I use to roll with some dudes on mumble, but it's been eons since I've played.

Can be a player or an GM, no problemo.

You know, I go and ask about shit like this, and I forgive too much of my friend's flaking to know if I am even going to be using this encounter I've made.

16 is still Darkseid's.
MnM's own setting's not-Galactus is 19.

I see some pop up on rpol occasionally but never worked up to try and join any.

mutants and masterminds is too limiting.

What if I want to play a rank 10 character with a damaging attack of 500. It won't let me, its dumb. Even though I could totally get my attack that high.

munchkin pls

Is that pic a girl or a boy

I thought Power Level X was made specifically for Galactus and his ilk

Yes, but it is a guy that goes around destroying planets and has a herald come in and announce him, so he is still analogous. He's just less of an intrinsic and unstoppable force of the cosmos.

He's kinda middle ground between Darkseid and Galactus. Or maybe Thanos, I'm less familiar with that guy.

Bump

That's Hit-Girl, from the comic Kick-Ass (also a feature film where she's played by Chloe Moretz).

I can't help but think they picked the worst possible shortening for Fighting.

Either the worst, or the best.