/wip/ - Work in Progress General

"Someone's got to make one" Edition

What goodies did Santa bring you? Got everything you wished for?

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos! (embed)

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models (embed)

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg (embed)

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
[YouTube] Dawn of War III – Announcement Trailer (embed)

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/ShYgV
youtube.com/watch?v=a0pGumGvczc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yep, got all I wanted. Now I just have to wait a few months while I finish my War Convocation and save up for adding some 30k toys to it.

do we have a camo scheme repository? i'm trying to come up with a scheme for cadians trapped behind demon lines. i was thinking some kind of grey/orange on the tanks and fatigues, but i dont know about the flak armour. any tips recommended

Got everything, which was just a Start Collecting Skitarii box and a new transport case.

How do you guys go about magnetizing your Dunecrawlers? Finished the weapon options earlier today, was wondering how "in-depth" is usual for that model.

Also kind of on the fence about how to do the legs-cockpit connection. Don't want to glue it for easy transport and destroyed effect but the sheer size of the whole would make magnetizing a paint and just having it sit on top looks so wobbly.

you had ONE JOB. STUNNING AND BRAVE EDITION!

like pic related?

Duncan says we must always remember where we started.

How have you progressed /wip/?

got a sector inperialis, magnus, his wrath, and some kriegers. britry gud,

ah cool, thankyou.

my uncle that does scale modelling got me a dozen miscellaneous paints, a single action airbrush, an old citadel basing kit and this crazy massive trumpeter german tank kit

difference of about eighteen months

You know that image of the space wolves with 9001 layers of paint done as ultra marines?

Mine were pretty close to that.

Any of y'all ever had any experience with reaper miniatures? I got a kit of theirs for christmas, wondering what the general consensus is on them, or if you've never eve heard of em.

Got a new compressor for xmas so I now know the joys of basecoating vehicles with an airbrush

That's fucking impressive, and I say that as someone who already paints better than you.
You should be proud of yourself.

love that puprle spartan! i want one for my termies, how is the kit?

i'm working on my land raider atm, filling/smoothing out the other side, i hope i can assemble it soon

pic is the painted part of the army thus far, mines five scouts wich need basing. progress is slow but i'll get there

Guy on the right is like 2 years old?

Pardon the ignorance... but who is Duncan and why is his constantly referenced?

Because what the hell else am I gonna do on xmas day...

Probably the guy who does the warhammerTV guides on youtube.

Patron saint of Veeky Forums, check out the warhammertv painting guides.

Lord Duncan forgive the uninitiated, the unthinner of paints, for he like us begins his journey virgin as a babe in the ways of the world

Painting guy for the GW Community team.

Can we get some of Lord Duncan's best quotes and tips? I always invoke the litany of 'You're going to need at least two thin coats."

Their metal minis are about as good as anyone else's. The pvc minis are a bitch to clean the moldlines from and it can be a challenge to get the base coat of paint on the model as they don't take most primers too well. Even so, they're cheap enough that I'm willing to put up with those problems a lot of the time.

Always remembah t' fin ya paints

>now, the first thing ya want to do, is take a firm grip on the shaft right below the tip, and slowly just twist the end in a spiral shape. now, watch as I rub the tip gently against my pallette, and before long, you'll see a nice, fine white line start to emerge, there. now, multiple thin coats are always preferrable to one big, messy, globby coat.

get a nice fine tip on yer brush

>Random Question.... Do you guys keep your armies on display?

Well, it *is* WIP-related, and although there are a coupla ladz here that have those expensive upright glass display cabinets, most of us don't. There's not enough room, and things around my place accumulate enough dust as it is.

>How do your store your currently "in use" armies? keep them in the army box/transport case or do you keep them out and on a shelf or something and pack it up when you want to play it?

One large brown old-style GW case, plus a large carboard box with custom-cut foam inserts to try to keep the tanks, bikes, and dreadnoughts from getting broken.

I fear the head may be slightly too large. What do you guys think?

Heresy or not?

Oh okay, thanks, so he's a meme. Got it.

He's a meme. But his tutorials are honestly very good as well.

It works.

>a large carboard box with custom-cut foam inserts to try to keep the tanks, bikes, and dreadnoughts from getting broken

This one. It's not perfect, but it was pretty cheap to make and does its job fairly well.

>mfw no progress

REEEEEEEEEE

Holy fuck that marine on the right is sexy. That white on the face is fucking Duncan-tier.
Feel fuckin' proud man.

Hey thanks man, I was getting discouraged because I'm still a pretty new painter and it seems like I can never make the models look like other people do. I'm going to try to learn how to do highlights without messing up maybe that will help.

It's helmeted, you expect ti to be larger than an unshielded human head

Hey thanks man, I was getting discouraged because I'm still a pretty new painter and it seems like I can never make the models look like other people do.
You an me both. I've been at this hobby 2 years and I still can't paint anything remotely like what some people post on here.

It can be hard to not get discouraged when you look at some of the pros around here, but it's important to remember they all started out just as shit as we were. Hell, I bet a whole hell of a let of them still think they paint like crap when they compare themselves to some Golden Daemon model or something.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here. Just don't lose heart man. Your shit looks pretty damn impressive for a "pretty new painter". Looks better than my shit at the very least.

That makes me smile

>no progress
I see progress user, the right one is neater and more crispy

Chipping done. Silver bits next. I feel like the chips are garish in some places because of thinned paint and poor brush work, tried my best to keep them small and tidy.

That chipping looks really out of scale. I'm not sure if I would have added the highlights; makes the paint look an inch thick.

I agree, I saw pictures of it on other vehicles and liked the look a lot, was definitely more difficult to do then I thought. I'm still pretty happy with it, I plan on weathering it a lot more and with some of the other details in place hopefully it wont stand out to much(In a bad way).

imgur.com/a/ShYgV
Rate my WIP rhinoman sculpt. I know this thread is mainly for minis and shit, but I don't visit other boards.

It looks good on the light grey, not so much on the dark

The highlighted chip technique probably only works on tiny scratches on things like power armor.

I immediately recognized it as a Rhino. I'd say that's a pretty good start.

source on the mini?

Ah, yeah, hadn't considered that it might not be complete. Some filters would knock the brightness down.

Isn't it a Land Raider?

I actually dig the effect but I think you overused it and it looks too random. Like the splotches feel randomly place on the large, flat areas, and not with any eye to what caused the damage.

I usually see it used to represent actual holes. Chipping seems to be mostly with just a dark sponge application and then metallic sponge application.

I actually like how this looks, but I agree it doesn't exactly look "realistic" as far as weathering goes. It looks more like an illustration of a tank than a tank. Which is kinda neat in and of itself.

The Priest isn't quite finished yet and it kind of annoys me how yellow my room light makes models appear on camera, but I'm actually pleasently surprised myself that I improved.

Also trying out some photo size reduction app for my phone, hopefully this shit works.

I think it looks more like a puma.

I misquoted lol. was actually meant for .

>try to magnetize weapon
>need to embed magnet deep inside weapon to have room for the other side that's attached to the arm
>think it fits perfectly
>glue in
>glue took up a few millimeters
>magnet now sticks out

God, how I hate this. Can't think of a way to fix it either.

Pry the magnet out, redrill that extra few mm so it's flush.

Already tried prying it out, can't even get anything between magnet and plastic to pry it out because it's in there that exactly.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Finally home and getting ready to paint my models! How was your day? I met my baby niece and figured out she loves my deep voice(smiled the whole time) my dad counted my $650 debt paid, my dealer gave me a handful of smoke for xmas, and my dad actually gave me some modelling ideas WITHOUT remarking his 22 year old was painting basement games! Now to work on some AUXILIARIES

But it has tusks

Take needle nose pliers and grip as much as possible. Glue the pliers to the magnet if need be

I'm currently in the middle of unwrapping stuff. Got some D&D shirts, the Storm Giant Royal Guard miniature, and some ceramic knives (for cooking) so far. It's gonna take me a million years to paint that giant, so I'll probably just tackle it one piece at a time while working through my backlog.

I really doubt that even needle nose pliers can fit in there.

Oh shit its you dude, nice fucking halberd blade

Greenstuff a layer onto the end of the weapon to make it thicker.

Sorry, no idea. Old gift from a buddy.

Got a Battleforce, a spare Ghostkeel (my third), and a Wraithguard box. So far I've put together 8 Pathfinders and a custom Crisis Bodyguard on the Commander chassis (Onager Gauntlet, Target Lock and 2 Fusion Blasters). Looks okay in my opinion.

Ikea glass cabinets come at a very reasonable price, ive got one and want another one.

Its a good way to keep motivated since you actually get to enjoy your hard work on a daily basis, and if you have a wip you can also keep it in there so it doesn't get dusty.

>Tau suits and Eldar wraiths

I got the Wraithguard for display. I like wraith models' design.

Saved to The Greater Good Convert folder, i really dig the Dead Space looking helmet, and might steal your idea!

Thanks. I filed down the front of the Commander's head and the back of the Broadside's targeting system bits till they fit together, cut down the back of the side eyes so I could turn it, and cut the front neck armor flat. Saw it on another site and gave it a try.

anyone have that paint comparison chart as to which paint is what with each company? I am going to buy my first paints with some christmas money but I only know the names of the citadel versions of them. There is a place here that sells PP as well as vallejo

It's in the OP

I got some Custodes for Christmas today, and I want to base them in such a way that you would imagine them in a palace or regal place of some sort
What would you suggest? I was thinking about some marble flooring but I don't know what to use for marble.

The doctor is in!

Input welcomed.

For maximum style and sophistication, use actual marble.

flatten putty on the base, use a knife to make tiles, base grey, thin down white a little too much and there you go.

nice model! but try turning him rightways

find a way to make your base as flat as possible, either use some paper or putty and then follow this video
youtube.com/watch?v=a0pGumGvczc

How well do plastic bitz work for converting metal minis?
This new made to order models looks like I could use it as a skitarii prime model if I just replaced the head and his weapon with one of their stun sticks

They work fine, as long as you can saw or clip what you don't want off the metal model. That's often the tricky part.

what am I fucking retarded? forgot my image

They work fine. Just use super glue.

Hey Kentucky user.

Your SS package was scheduled to come tomorrow, but since it's still technically a holiday, it should be there Tuesday. Sorry for the delay, I explain it in the letter I wrote you. Merry Christmas!

Hope this is the right place to ask.
What is a good but cheap airbrush for painting warhammer 40k models.
I play Tau but do not have any big suits if that matters. I do have 2 remora drones and a barracuda if that matters. I also live in Australia so I would prefer a model or company rather than a link. Thanks in advance

My FLGS keep continuously bungling my orders. Like fuck, I want to support local businesses especially since this is such a niche market, but what am I supposed to do when my orders
A) aren't arriving when you say they will
B) Are incorrect
C) Never placed at all

Has anyone else had to deal with this? I live in a remote area so it's either this place or a GW that's an hour away

Find what you can easily buy spares for and buy that. I would think that being close to Japan that something Iwata would be the way to go, but that assumes their AU support is like their US support (ie awesome).

It's all good home dog, can't wait to get it~

Or you could order online, if someone establishes that they aren't worthy of your business, stop giving it to them. If you play at the store then buy little shit that they have in stock when you can. But if you don't, fuck em.

Place one magnet under the ball joint attached to the legs then place a piece of plastic above the hole and place the other magnet on top of that.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I guess I keep giving em a pass since I play there and the place is run by an old guy that doesn't really know a lot about 40k, but this time they fucked up an order containing all the shit for the Warhammer Secret Santas I joined this year so I'm beyond frustrated. My patience has pretty much run out at this point.

Mmm, galaxy sharks

Metal is usually a smidge smaller scale than its plastic counterpart. Should probably work though. Dremels and files are your friends for removing heads

Perhaps explain to the dude that he's making it really hard for you to give him 100s of dollars. And if a GW is only an hour away, you aren't that remote ;)

The white looks very smooth all over, nice job..and yes, slight progress, but definite progress to be seen!

C&C for a hard nights work?

>doesn't know about the shit they sell
>allows them to fuck up an order containing likely hundreds of dollars of product.

u w0t? Look, tell this guy he needs to get the company's shit together or you wont be able to justify spending cash in his joint, that simple.

>galaxy sharks
>not Void Fish