Ugly GW models

Can we get a thread going about some of the ugliest models ever released by GW?

I think we can all agree that GW makes some of the best plastic model kits out there (even if they are over priced) but some of the things they release are just plain retarded, and you have to wonder what they were thinking when they made them

Im not talking about models that are low res or from the rogue trader days, no im talking about models like pic related that utilize all of GW's model making know- how and modern casting techniques, but are visually repulsive.

What the hell were they thinking when they green lit this flyer? Not only does 0% of it actually make any goddamn sense but it looks like someone took a regular flyer, left it out in the sun all day, and then blew air into like a glass blower.

You wanna know something

Storm Troopers that werent Karsikins sucked

>no baroque imperial guard that are similiar to tempestus

I HATE THE CADIAN MODELS

I honestly don't hate these models, but I did like the kasrkin more

If these guys didn't have the weird peaked breastplate they'd be a lot better

>no baroque imperial guard that are similiar to tempestus

Yes there are. You have something against fuzzy hats?

I dont get the hate for these guys

GW combined the beret early ass storm troopers with the google ones.

I might be a storm trooper fag but scions are not that bad I would even say they are great.

there is something I really do not like about the scions, I think its their breast plates wich look like those of the conquistadors

All the Space marine aircraft are flying bricks.

Atleast they do not have actual faces, I always hated how fucking big GW heads are compared to the rest of the body.

I understand they can only cast so much detail in plastic but pic related is just fucking stupid.

As someone who never liked Cadians and did not lose my shit over Kasrkin I rather like the Scions. I get the impression that the main complaint is they aren't operator enough.

I hate how the bayonets attach.

I own several guns and most have bayonets and all of them attach a little different and NONE of them daintily hang off the barrel like that.

They look so incredibly boring and stupid at the same time

I actually like that about them

I see these "worse GW model" threads more as personal taste

I agree some of it is about taste, But I cannot see someone actually OP's model, It is hideous

Second. These guys should be miniature Brass Scorpions with a servitor jammed into the head/abdomen region. Maybe just a little more inhuman than that. Big gun is attached to the "tail," and secondary weapons affix to the forward manipulator claws or servitor arms.

Stormies were tacticool commandos. Scions are just Space Marine Lites.

would be so much better with spider legs like the dunecrawler

>all the art of Imperial Army looking like Vossies
>FW instead makes steampunk space marines in bolted together metal box tanks

FW is worse than GW.

I actually like those dudes a lot

No they werent

None of the Storm Troopers were tacticool commandos thats actually one of the reasons why people do not like the scions since they thought Scions would actually add the special forces things.

Besides everything about the scions is a name change

But Scions are great

I suddenly started liking them after recently reading 'Dune'.

Even after 16 years on the Hobby, it somehow made me feel like I 'get' the feeling of the 40k design even more. I find it hard to explain, there's just this Impression that this schizo-blend of old decorated plate with sci-fi equipment works once you witnessed it work in another highly entertaining context.

Wish that GW released plastic kasrkin now that Fall of Cadia is coming. Something good for everyone.

Solar Auxilia aren't the main forces of the Imperial Army.

GW wants to keep forcing Vostroyan players to buy their crappy metal ones or recasts so they won't let FW make even better Vostroyan models.

That's just developing an emotional connection with the subject matter and associated aesthetic. Often aesthetic gets ruined because people with a connection to the feeling of a story that inspires them reproduce the aesthetic rather than the narrative feeling. See; steampunk.

Once you've seen it work as a narrative device and an aesthetic that compliments a setting or a story tone, one you probably enjoy or appreciate, you develop a fondness for it. It's why people have such a fondness for the objectively bad sculpts of Rogue Trader era space marines and fantasy miniatures (although many have tons of character in their own right) because they developed an emotional attachment to the character, tone, and stories of that setting.

Nothing is uglier and more stupid then the holy baby carrier.

What about the Incepturion?

>SAS gas masks
>webbing
>pouches
>lasguns with tactical attachments
>fluff about how they're the special forces of the Munitorum attached to regiments to get shit done behind enemy lines
>not tacticool commandos, brah

Ok.

>moved from under the Munitorum to under the Administratum
>remove all webbing and pouches
>slap on a massive cuirass with a fancy trim
>gun just has a scope on it
>hockey masks and berets
>snowmobile truck
>grimderp training that's to remove all individuality from them, yet all the regiments have individual styles to them
>just a name change, brah

Ok.

It's a lot easier if you don't just decide you hate it and refuse to ever give it a chance. This is how most people are who hate some part of 40k.

If you are deadset against liking it, why are people surprised when they hate something? Everything you've ever done a 180 on has always started out with reluctant giving it a chance, finding out maybe it's not so bad, then liking it.

I dont know why

I cant be the only one who thought those helmets sucked ass right? Litterally everything about those Storm Troopers rocked besides the helmets.

Then there's the things I fell in love with at first sight and still love. I've always thought Skitarii were cool, but never really found any art or models which fit the idea I had in my brain.

Then Skitarii came and so did I. These were exactly what I'd imagined and more. Now I have a Kill Team of them because fuck I need to own some of my own. Painting is hard, though.

Old Storm Troopers had lore?

Each version just got shafted to me.

I should also mention the fluff does them justice. I really like Skitarii fluff, because it shows them to be just as capricious and autistic as you'd expect cyborg people to be.

>Solar Auxilia aren't the main forces of the Imperial Army.

Yet they make good quarter to a third of the Army's fighting force and is the single most effective regiment type, which is why it's the most adopted.

I will be very surprised if we get any good Army rules that isn't just a half-assed not-Guard codex with just FW's IG line thrown into it.

At least the Matryoshkas look nice.

Centurions aren't nearly as bad.

And yet those storm troopers are still meh

Face it no one cares about storm troopers only a select few /k/ autists

That's like complaining that the artwork always shows Cadians as Imperial Guard but GW made Space Marine models and Militarum Tempestus.

We need to go wider.

They're 3e, it had really nothing going for it besides not being 2e. I think the major problem was the monocle that gave them uneven eyes. The mask looks much like the S10 mask of the SAS. Seeing that 2e stormies with their fatigues and berets looked like old timey commandos, comparison to real life special forces can't be an accident.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

No, it's like complaining I want to play Guard bit my options are Marines or Scions.

I had that at the very beginning when I was sure that I could never take those huge shoulder pauldrons on Space Marines seriously (same for WoW).

Nevermind that I got over it pretty quick.

That legitimately looks better (still not good though) because he's got a helmet and the legs aren't dangling out there.

That wouldn't be a valid complaint if Guard didn't exist as a playable faction to begin with.

Keep moving the goalpost.

You got PDF and SA to choose from. Go Army!

>wants to play Imperial Army in a game about the legions

Yes. I've wanted Imperial Army since forever. Ride in Rhinos and Land Raiders, get speeders and bikes and jump packs, just like in the old days. No separation of Navy and Guard, all in one. Exotic weapons and hover tanks.

Mechanicum gets several lists of their own. Knights get their own list. Daemons can be played in 30k. Why is it wrong to play Army, which existed and did shit as well? Just because marinefags try to own the whole setting doesn't mean other factions didn't do stuff as well. They're already trying to claim 40k for themselves. I don't have to cater to their delusion.

I just don't think the pickelhaube spike fits the models at all.

Sergeants either get berets or that

Don't you have a knife?

>40k whines about too many marines despite marines literally keeping the franchise alive
>FW make a game just to cater to/quarantine marines
>now faggots leak into there from 40k to whine about too many marines
>despite the fact that marine sales are, once again, the thing keeping the product afloat

You're the one that's deluded.

Not say it is not true. But when Marines are like 2/3 of the products sold by GW/FW (40k and 30k) makes you wonder if people actually want Marines or are left with no option as buying anything but Marines is very risky.

Looking at you poor Nids, Dark Eldar, Orks and SoB.

Specially with the carnifex incident where they actively try to screw the consumer.

>despite marines literally keeping the franchise alive
This is drastically untrue.

>fat and underdesigned

Do not mind the fat, underdesigned (that is just personal taste) or the stupid scroll supporting a huge model.

The fucking mechanical wings kill it for me. Why the fuck did they put mechanical wings. My only explanation is that the model is going to have rules worst than the current Celestin.

Removing angel theme from it really sucked. Like it is there with the Doves and roses. But fuck it up with the mechanical wings

I personally think the Death Watch release was GW best modern releases

>Boxes that give you a fuck ton of bits so you can upgrade regular space marines boxes

Now if only painting them wasnt a bitch

How hard is painting black and silver?

...Is she shitting doves?

This is a pity because the model for Logan himself is god tier, I just don't want to pay the extra bucks for the useless sleigh.

I hate to be that guy but isant this a topic for the 40k general I understand random lore threads but isant TT for them?

>army rules

Isn't that what Militia and Cults is?

Or at least, it could pretty easily represent Imperial Army forces.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Living Saint shit doves, flowers, light, and rainbows.

A lot of Imperium aircraft are trying to look like Dropships from Aliens while still being "Original Concept, Please Do Not Sue".

Necron lazychair?

Needs a morbidly obese Necron on it.

11/10.
would buy a 1000€ army in plastic

Plenty to choose from but that isn't one of them.

They look like they belong in a chaos army

this actually looks really good, good visual balance, pose, etc

the best part about the dreadknight looking like absolute shit is seeing everyone's attempts to fix it up into a good looking unit

I actually really, really like the Blackstar's design. It LOOKS like a SM flyer, in a way that dinky ornithopter looking thing doesn't. Chunky, ugly, perfect.

Now seeing these as Peter dinklage with a chainsword

>le ebin marines are paying for everything may-may

0/10, here's your (you), kys

Kasrkin are the greatest but scions are pretty good. Just wish they didnt have the stupid breastplate

All stormtrooper models have been good. The original Inquisitorial Stormtroopers were good, Kasrkin were great, and Scions look good too. Kasrkin stand above the rest, for my money. Hope to see them come back for Fall of Cadia.

>Why the fuck did they put mechanical wings.

The original model didn't have wings. Living Saints aren't mutants. There's absolutely no reason why one WOULD have real wings.

If you cut off 3/4s of the Dropship yeah. Which goes a long ways to explaining why they all look so godamn retarded

Hahaha, look at this faggot and his horrible taste.

>Isn't that what Militia and Cults is?

Militia is the PDF.

>easily represent Imperial Army

If you're fine with a very limited list. Sure, you get some special rules, but in terms of options you got infantry, infantry, lots of infantry, some more infantry, a some stationary guns, some Russes and super-heavies. Gorgons are DT and only available to two squads, both of which only fill half of its capacity.

Militia is just something FW whipped up to keep Army in a holding pattern.

>forgets 2e stormies
>thinks 3e stormies were Inquisitorial

Honestly, I didn't play in 2e. My memory only goes back to the 3e stormies since they featured in the DH and WH dexes as inquisitorial stormtroopers.

I still have no idea what to do with these old fucks.

3E did always seem like inquisitorial attack dogs

Still better than the ting in the core of it.

Yeah, they're worse than Kasarkin but not THAT bad.

Not great, but at least better than these guys

I disagree, the lack of treads on everything else Admech is a huge failure.

I would say they should have been executed better. Not hugely disappointing as is, but perhaps just... well, better.

I'm saving the scorpion-servitor idea for my own HoR project as a custom Legendary Hero for Skitarii.

objectively false opinions general

they look like henchmen from He-man

Dude, those are almost 2 decades old

and they have aged really nicely for 20 year old units too

compare them to the plastic Berserkers

Again... learn to read, This model is likely older than you

But that's not from Rogue Trader.

Necrons were released near the very end of 2nd. ed. long after I started playing. The current Ork Warbuggy, Wartrack and Eldar Falcon are all older than that model.

>t. Eternal Anglo

>Not only does 0% of it actually make any goddamn sense

In a way I feel like this shouldn't be a legitimate criticism since it's extremely doubtful that any of the sculptors that work for GW know the inner workings of any kind of military vehicle. Things be plausible is their only goal, not actually working.

Pretty sure their training wasn't about removing individuality, but rather just making sure that they'll be obedient to authority no matter what is asked of them.

Anyone who covers the front of the Dreadknight in armor seems to forget that it has a forcefield that kind of renders the armor redundant. It also looks like a walking deathtrap if the frame is in anyway compromised. The original model at least gives the impression that the pilot could easily disengage themselves.

I really doubt that FW will make an Imperial Army, in fact the only reason the Solar Auxilia got made is because they were a pet project and other people at FW thought they were cool. It's probably arguable if the Imperial Army actually did much of relevance since it seems they mostly existed to hold ground and clean up after the Marines had taken care of most of the dangerous stuff.

>Pretty sure their training wasn't about removing individuality
>"the progena of the Schola Progenium are not permitted cultural variety. Though they arrive from different worlds, they are quickly recast in the same Imperial mould."
>"the Schola Progenium become their sole reality, cades are taught to forget their old existence. They are stripped of their former clothing and of any belongings they may have brought with them."
>"Recruits are forced to abandon their birth names, and are instead provided with new ones chosen from a long list of legendary heroes of the Imperium. This is as much to remind them of the excellence to which they must aspire, as it is to remove their identity."
>"Such uniformity is easier to accept for very young students"
>"at some point every cadet is strapped down to an iron chair known as a Correction Throne. Needles are then inserted through the rear of the cadet's skull, and their heads are flooded with dirus, a neurochemical fluid that cleanses their synapses, wiping away old memories and paving the way for new information."
>"it is always a concern when a cadet shows too strong an unwillingness to properly conform. As reward for their independence, they are often released into the training grounds only to be hunted down by their former comrades. This serves as much to bond the remaining cadets as it does to punish individuality."