Fuck you WotC

Fuck you WotC

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/masterpiece-series-2016-09-12
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Even the super mythic slot has to have junk rares goy.

>junk rare
Lots of Masterpiece Ornithopters will see play. This is more like full art land.

The whole point of Masterpieces is to increase the supply of expensive cards that have received limited printings, I.E. Arcbound Ravager and Ensnaring Bridge. Masterpieces of those cards will actually be /cheaper/ than original printings, since the masterpieces will cause the price to drop to a reasonable amount.

Ornithopter doesn't need a Masterpiece reprint. It's played in 1 competitive modern deck, has been printed in 11 sets, and costs $1 for a full play-set.

>The whole point of Masterpieces is to increase the

Amount of money people spend on Magic cards

Correction: it's to increase the amount of money people spend on /packs/. WotC (or Hasbro more likely) doesn't want people buying cards on the secondary market from from tcgplayer or starcitygames or or their FLGS.

This is why they do shit like print Judge promos instead of just paying their judges more. The former reduces the power of the secondary market by making cards like Force of Will and Damnation just a little bit cheeper.

Also of note, people buying oodles of packs floods the secondary market with everything in the set.

May you open many Ornithopters.

>I'd rather get a basic land than a $30 card
t. OP

>The whole point of Masterpieces is to increase the supply of expensive cards that have received limited printings

You got a source on this?

I'm extremely doubtful WotC would ever say this, it's a just a premium series for collectors. It won't actually increase the amount in the hands of people, considering these fulfill a whole different niche of collectors.

The point of Masterpieces is to make WotC more money.

Providing people with more expensive and little reprinted cards is a side effect of that, nothing more.

Plus, every Ornithopter a masterpiece collector cracks, unless they're dissuaded out of despair, the more likely they are to actually crack more.

You don't believe this do you? They have basically no impact on the price of the normal printings. They affect every card in the set EXCEPT masterpieces.

>The whole point of Masterpieces is to increase the supply of expensive cards that have received limited printings
You're adorable.

>reduce expensive card pricing
Having a few hundred promo cards around does jack shit when the demand is still so much higher than the supply.

Rate card I found

Fun EDH pet card/10

It does nothing for supply, that's not the reason for masterpieces. I didn't see much changes in the value of fetches after Expeditions were printed. The masterpieces are occasional awesome stuff included in packs alongside the main set. I don't understand the moaning, the alternative is that the released set is identical, but the packs don't have occasional masterpieces included.

As much as I like getting bomb value like a Mana Vault, I like that other iconic cards like Ornithopter get the treatment too.

Eh... it's worth about $2.50, but I'll give you $5 for it because I need one to complete the set.

The way I see it is basically an alternate from the vaults that lets Wizards get the extra value (in more pack sales) rather than the lgs (through markups). The lgs still moves more packs, so it's a much cleaner implementation all around. If you've never bought a FtV, you probably shouldn't bother to care about masterpieces.

well thats just not true

>not making a masterwork memnite as well

your right OP, fuck em

masterpieces are there to sell more boxes while at the same time driving the rice of standard down

Lol right. And why doesn't this happen with other sets that gave far packs.

memnites are too lore specific, the masterpieces have to fit into the plane they appear on, so no Jitte etc, gotta wait for modern masters or something for those

r8 my card pls

So is the rice of standard white or brown?

Yellow, actually.

Not bad. Protects you from black removal and if you're against a Black/White deck then you're opponent's screwed. 6/10 would sideboard just for the art.

Have had it in my Nissa EDH deck since way back when it started out as a Silvos deck and it's always been amazing when I got to play it.

>he thinks that this isn't going to be one of the most sought-after masterpieces in AER because anyone who wants one wants four

You literally have it backwards. The point of masterpieces is to reduce the price of the rest of the set, therefore making standard cheaper.
Look at the prices of BFZ/OGW/KLD non-masterpiece cards. It looks just like the pre-mythic era where the most expensive cards are just shy of 30, and even then most are 20 or below.

i am convinced this will end up costing like 50 bucks, probably more

because lightning greaves were super expensive and hard to find.
And sol ring hadn't been reprinted a ton already.

the only thing that got remotely increased in availability was mana crypt, as that was never in a set.

I got it opening one of the packs inside a Kaladesh gift box, don't know if I should sell it or keep it.

You can sell it and buy two non-foil ones from that money.

You realize you will NEVER get the one you want. Why even open packs? Just order the damn thing online and feel mildly bad about it until you forget about it or feel worse about another piece of cardboard you shelled out an exhorbitant sum for.

>worth 60 American Shekels
Sell it to some neckbeard for full price and get a playset of something more useful.

You could always make your own.

Thanks anons, will do.

The overall value of booster packs is lowered to compensate for the presence of Masterpieces.

We'll there is no reason to open packs, but if you like to draft you might get lucky and pull what is essentially a $50 bill (and maybe just win the draft). That's what I see them as anyway

I havent seen anything I want from the spoilers. Nothing that jumps out as must haves. Anyone eyeing anything yet?

>junk rares
>rare
>ornithopter
Ornithopter is a common. The printed a junk common in a mythic slot.

Sounds like some sort of jungle curse.
I like it.

Why doesn't WotC sell singles online? Instead of being cunt farmers and printing garbage like ornithopter in the masterpiece set, reprinting format staples such as tarmogoyf, only in more expensive packs and other forms of general business faggotry. Paying $500+ for a collection of cardboard just to play a game is absurd, especially when the individual cards are so frail.

/end rant

>paying their judges more
Judges are volunteers. The promos are thank-yous that cost WOTC a minuscule amount of money compared to what it would cost to employ judges.

Well if they acknowledge that cards are worth different amounts of money then packs are basically gambling, then they can't sell to children

Is that seriously the reason why they refuse to acknowledge the scalpers in the secondary market?

Because the moment you acknowledge that your product contains varying amounts of value beyond it's retail cost it's gambling?

Isn't it funny how MtG initially had the gambling-aspect built-in, but nowadays it feels much more of a gamble?

Heh.

I look forward to the day where boosters are relegated to ONLY draft and Wizards sells their cards, even the old ones, individually, for a fair price.

You guys actually buy boosters, not singles, for any reason besides limited formats? Are there no singles stories that ship to your countries or something?

Too bad it doesn't protect against Black Sun's Zenith.

>increase the supply

WotC shill or complete moron detected.

Masterpieces are 1 in 144 packs.
There are 30 masterpieces in Kaladesh (24 in Aether Revolt).

This means that ONE of a specific masterpiece from Kaladesh (say, Crucible of Worlds) is opened roughly every 4320 booster packs, or approximately 166 booster boxes.

That's before ONE Crucible of Worlds has a slim chance of being sold and entering the secondary market, because face it, most people will keep their shiny new card and find a casual deck to shove it in.

Masterpieces are cosmetic super-ultra-foils, they're not gonna lower any prices anytime, ever.

The actual point according to WOTC is to increase supply of standard cards, by encouraging people to open packs.

>because face it, most people will keep their shiny new card and find a casual deck to shove it in.
I'm not sure you're right here. How many packs are opened by kitchen table/casual players vs serious players and vendors?

They can acknowledge the secondary market and the variable value of cards in it, but they cannot use tha variable pricing themselves.

They aren't responsible for the aftermarket valuation of their product, so long as they don't directly participate in it. Selling singles at variable prices would mean WotC is making the packs gambling, where now it's other people making it that.

>Selling singles at variable prices would mean WotC is making the packs gambling, where now it's other people making it that.
Huh, thanks for that explanation. I have a better idea of why Wizards doesn't do singles now.

What about box sets/precon decks? Those are made of singles. Do they only produce them because they know they'll be sold to people who want to play them, regardless of card value?

And what about promos? Judge, game day, buy-a-box promos are all singles that are given out as a reward for judging/attending/buying something, so people who get them must consider how valuable the cards they'll get from doing that will be. If I buy a box, I'll consider the promo as a discount, a free booster if it's worth a booster, etc. So that's kind of selling singles, except through barter rather than directly for cash (for judge promos) or like a box set single bundled with an event/product.

I am 90% sure they did it to keep people buying packs to keep Standard costs down, like you said. It was their way of acknowledging Standard had a steep price point of entry and try and do something about it all while giving fans something fun.

Wizards doesn't tell us anything. Because if they tell us and they're fucking wrong we'll call them out for it. Often we'll just tell them they're wrong anyways and they'll have to admit it for damage control.

They've had a million gimmicks that they've since abandoned these past few years instead of tackling the problem head-on.

Printing random overpriced high-value shit so players can trade it on a scalper market for OTHER high-value shit is a horrible strategy if people are not willing to participate through those market mechanisms or simply can't participate. It's like solving a famine by giving out diamond rings.

Personally, I don't have the time to sit there and haggle with people at the store. Nor do I want to go through the effort to have to exchange my cards for credit at my local store or other online stores.

I just want to pay for my singles and play and not give a shit about worrying about reclaiming my value. The problem is just buying shit is intrinsically not economical in my view. I can certainly afford it, but a rational part of me looks at the price of cards and I'd just rather spend it on something that is legitimately worth that much money like a cosplay or something.

If Wizards wants to make us open more product, they can find some way to make Limited easier to run because quite frankly it's impossible to get 8 people together to get a goddamn draft to fire not to mention that draft feels like fucking suffering because nobody knows how to do it or are pieces of shit during the draft. But that would require Wizards to care that their players learn how to play the game, and they certainly don't want that - because a stupid player *might* buy a ton of garbage before they get wise.

Eh?
I can't get mad at this the entire point of the masterpieces is to print cool looking versions of iconic artifacts for neck beards to buy boxes to look for. Ornithopter is certinty a iconic mtg artifact even if it isn't expensive. I'm surprised they didn't do one for mind stone or than dynamo

Truly, the best color of rice.

>or are pieces of shit during the draft
Stories please.

No you don't get any fucking stories. Because one of the problems in Magic is players reading about how some stores give out free blow with the purchase of a booster box and supplies hookers at prereleases and pressures their store to provide at least free blowjobs or they cry like fucking babies.

And sometimes if people bitch and moan enough, Wizards will send them a care package because that sort of personal touch just looks fucking great from a PR perspective. Except everyone else gets to continue suffering because they don't get any relief.

Wizards has more than enough complaints. The vast majority of players are pieces of shit because the state of the game attracts and only retains fucking retards.

>No you don't get any fucking stories
You a store owner? Because you sound bitter as fuck. Not that you don't have reason to be, but still, what'd I (and everyone else in this thread) ever do to you?

Here's the deal, the whole thing about good stories works the other way around.

If you tell bad stories that describe the extreme bad aspects of the game, then people will look at their own situation and think, "well, mine isn't that bad" even though it's objectively still bad and they'll do nothing to make it better. It's like Reality TV and how watching cheating pieces of shit makes everyone else feel okay about cheating.

And I don't want you or anybody else walking away thinking, "well, my situation isn't that bad".

The take away is - it's all bad. It's going to shit so hard that you can't tell the assholes to fuck off because there are no players to replace them. You can't cull the bad apples in your store because the community can't survive without them. And at the end of the day a shit community is better than a dead one from a business perspective.

So Wizards needs to get off its ass and make the game affordable again because players are only going to be able to put up with so much shit. They'll put up with assholes, an expensive game, not enough events to play in, formats cannibalizing the player base, but they won't fucking put up with ALL of it.

I've never drafted before, I was just hoping for what makes a That Guy in draft.

You would think but the thing with masterpieces is they increase demand more then they increase supply.

Drafting all the valuable cards, then dropping (aka me). Even though I am good at draft, I don't have time for that shit.

>just in case postmodern catches on the masterpiece.

Im just mad it was not printed as a normal card 2 sets with a thopter theme and still no ornithopter.

Let me tell you the secret to a good draft experience - you don't talk about the draft while drafting. You don't talk about your deck, you don't talk about what is passed, you don't give away any information that would influence or make it look like you're trying to influence what is being picked, don't talk about what you passed, don't talk about what you passed. This includes people who are just observing.

Don't cheer and show off when you open something nice - say nothing. Talk about a movie, talk about your day, talk about shaving your balls, talk about some other part of Magic, but don't fucking talk about the draft.

When the draft is done and all the games are complete, THEN you can talk about the draft.

And if you absolutely must ask something, ask a judge. And if a judge is not available, wait until everything is done. And if you fucked up but it won't disrupt the draft well, don't tell anybody; learn from it and don't do it again.

And most important, if you say you're going to draft, you MUST do it from beginning to end.

Its supposed to be a legendary invention from urza user eat a dick and buy this ornithopter.

>Masterpieces
Pros
>sells more packs to speculators causing the average price of the cards to go down due to increased supply
>gets more copys of those cards into circulation
>no more need for stupid obviously op mythics
Cons
>they cause far more demand then they increase supply making the masterpieces stupidly expensive
> its still supporting the speculators that caused this mess in the first place.

Problem is you cannot fix the problem of demand increasing to much without making the cards no longer chased after by speculators so there whole reason for existence falls apart.

Its a stopgap measure

Draft conduct like this should be posted at every store.

Especially the part about committing through the entire experience. Someone is trying to get another 7 people together, and telling them you changed their mind is going to make them hate you.

I've never drafted without at least one person just leaving in the middle of the swiss before we were done. And online some douchebag will keep you waiting because they're double queuing. And that, is why I don't draft anymore.

The art on the new Platinum Angel makes my dick throb.

Well it was there way of acknowledging the problem without auctualy acknowledging it because they dont want to hurt speculators precious feelings.

>>they cause far more demand then they increase supply making the masterpieces stupidly expensive

They are expensive but by the standards of MTG they are not stupidly expensive, they keep getting cheaper and cheaper every month dude

it does, this is just a new tactic to increase the desire to grind for another, rarer subset mythics for deck-pimping purposes, and makes you feel like you have a slim chance at a greater fortune, like raising the max payout of a scratch-off lottery ticket

Have there been Aether Revolt leaks? Do we get to see Wizards completely lose their shit?

Those are the masterpieces from Kaladesh, not Aether Revolt, user.

Though it'd be funny to watch Wotc pull damage control if someone got some ahead of time, like with the Azusa judge promos.

so what happens when a plane doesn't have some defining feature like Zendikar's lands or Kaladesh's artifacts? Extra-mythic rare cards are supposedly taking the place of FtV cards, but FtV can have a theme like "boardwipes" or "angels" without ever being out of place in the context of a plane. Artifacts, Lands, Enchantments, etc are all easy enough to find a plane for, but what happens when WotC runs out of those and has to be more specific with their Expidition/Masterpiece type cards?

There's a significantly nerfed version of Affinity for Artifacts THAT WAS IN MY FUCKING CUSTOM SET JUST MONTHS AGO FUCK YOU WIZARDS ILL SEE YOU CUNTS IN COURT. Otherwise it's tame so far. We'll have to wait for actual spoiler season

>not fucking them back in the asshole without lube or consent by printing your own cards.
>geroge_cantstandya.jpg & sheldor-bazooper.exe

Point of Masterpieces is to make standard cheaper cause more people open boxes.

i thought the point of masterpieces was to decrease the price of standard, allowing WoTC to reap the benefits of a lower cost standard ( more players getting into the game), with next to nothing of the problems that would have come with different solutions( gaining less from selling boxes, having to over-reprint modern cards into the ground, too many standard cards being powered enough to breach into modern).

very cool lottery cards also make their products cooler and increase the hype surrouding a new set.

Also, EV of the set will drop to average with MSRP, and if the value is in Masterpieces, then the standard cards will be cheaper to compensate.

It's easy to justify a promo as just that, an extra card.

They can consider the rarity of a card but they can't consider the monetary value of it.

Box Set/Precon Decks are sold at a common price, rather than based on the exact card values so they can say 'We sell a precon deck for X' rather than 'We sell Y worth of cards'

... Dude. If your local store can't get a draft to fire...

That's a fucking sexy ornithopter. Why so mad?

Your store is shit, your staff are cunts, your distributors hate working with you, and your playerbase resents that their local store is as shit as it is.
No, that's the secret to a /spiky/ draft experience. There is exactly ONE necessary thing that should happen in every draft: Zone drafting. THAT'S IT.
Anything and everything else at an FNM is fair fucking game and you're a whiny shit if you care otherwise.

...what is the point of that one?

I think he meant the card rules text.

Presumably so that it synergizes with things that boos effect damage and dodges things block battle damage.

To memory there were a lot of cards that prevented battle damage

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/masterpiece-series-2016-09-12
WotC said it themselves.

But the article doesn’t really say that. See:
"Zendikar Expeditions got the reprints into booster packs of a Standard-legal set without creating this problem. It wasn't a total solution, but it was at least another step in helping alleviate it. It also allowed us to find a solution that our bread-and-butter sets could help with. Hmm, a way to address challenge #2"

So...

The older ones are cheaper.

Thanks!

Any idea if we are getting any new cards spoiled today? Obviously these are all of the Inventions, but still.

>something that is legitimately worth that much money
You don't understand economics.

That said, if you don't feel that a product is worth the money that the seller demands for it; don't buy it.