Christmas Truce

What would a Christmas (or whatever the equivalent) truce in the Warhammer 40k universe look like? Aside from how it would happen in the first place, what do you think would go down?

It would probably be on worlds that are fighting with itself, where people have a similar culture, etc.

Maybe the Tau might honour the traditions of an alien culture, but that's debatable

Im just imagining drunk marines caroling with hat-clad orcs

Of course, since the races in 40k share culture as much as the races in Warhammer Fantasy or Lord of the Rings (i.e. full segregation), that'd be pretty difficult to arrange. Still, the setting's big enough that there will be exceptions in some places.

What about a contested planet with a shared historical event between two races? Something that happened thousands of years ago that both races celebrate. I like the idea of it being something a bit mythical, like the humans remember a local saint with a magical companion while the Eldar remember that one time they gave the locals help with something while in disguise... but of course magic is heresy and everyone celebrating that would be set on fire.

40k kind of sucks, doesn't it?

Ends in Kharn killing all of them.

user, the war is too far gone to truce even possible. After all, it was one-time stunt in '14, when the war was going for few months.
By '17, they were busy slaughtering each other with imprivised trench-cleaning weapons and artillery barrages.

Lure them out with chrismas songs (or lore appropriate equivalent). Then call the arty.

this has to be one of the most useless threads I've ever seen on Veeky Forums

You I like, made me laugh.

>this has to be one of the most useless threads I've ever seen on Veeky Forums
And yet here you are, posting in it.

It would look like bloodbowl.
Bloodbowl is by far the best thing to come out of warhammer in general.

I could see orks making a truce if they had a holiday like "Gork" day.
Though imperial scholars note that orcs often argue weather it is "Mork" day.
This then leads to both sides splitting apart and forming new warbands over weather it is Gork or Mork day.

I could also see the craftworld eldar stop fighting against each other because it is one of their god's holy days or something.

Fuck, I could see chaos doing shit like that, just stopping fighting between each for a bit in order to sacrifice a bunch of lickspittle loyalists.

Maybe a temporary truce between Imperial and Severan Dominate forces on Emperor's Ascension Day or something. Both still worship the God Emperor, despite the different leaders.

this is what they call a wrekt

If anything the Tau's ruthless pragmatism would mean they would use festivals as opportunities to try and make a breakthrough (Russian's in WW2 style) unless they thought they could gain a greater propaganda victory by honouring a truce.

>I could also see the craftworld eldar stop fighting against each other because it is one of their god's holy days or something.
Not much point in having a holy day when the god it's dedicated to is dead.

Fine they have a sad day were they mourn about all shit that's happened to them.

Probably take a whole week to cover all that.

Hell, I could see it taking a month.

>Imperial Guardsmen fighting a regiment of Tau Gue'vesa.

>They're forced to fight on The Feast of The Emperor's Ascension.

>Both start singing carols and hymns to The Emperor whilst fighting.

>The fighting slows to a crawl once they realize the other side is singing the same songs as them

>Guardsmen look over their shoulder, find their commissar was KIA'd

>Slowly hail the Gue'vesa over

>The Tau commander is encouraged to allow some fraternizing thanks to the pleading of a Water Caste diplomat.

>Momentary truce to talk about life in their respective Empires, play some games together

>Some guardsmen even get to try out Tau weaponry for target practice

>Fire Caste commander talks about war and battle with his Imperial Counterpart

>Day ends, both sides go back to their respective fields of battle.

>A few Gue'vesa guardsmen are missing

>Water caste diplomat snuck them behind enemy lines to talk about how great The Greater Good is.

>Guardsmen regiment mutiny afterwards

>Justasplanned.jpg

Mind the edges, but am I the only one who thinks that both the christmas truce and its celebration one hundred years later is a gigantic display in faggotry, hypocrisy and virtue signaling? We have men tasked with defending their homeland, their livelihood and their families against a foreign invasion, and then they're playing soccer with that foreign invader. The exact same foreign invader that tried to melt their eyeballs out a few days earlier.

I can't really see the beauty in that. I don't see "muh humanity united as brothers", I see weakened resolve in defending what's worth defending.

If honour and dignity aren't worth defending, what is?

It was still the early days of the war, when the whole thing was still considered a gentleman's affair. The horrors we associate with that war hadn't been unleashed in full yet, making it easier for the men to fraternize.

That actually makes a lot of sense and I hadn't considered that. Thanks.

But the thing is, it /wasn't/ their homeland they were defending; it was Belgium. It's their version of the pointless wars in the Middle East: why should they have to destroy/defend a foreign country because some arch duke was shot by a Serb?

>am I the only person that's a stupid edgelord that doesn't understand what he's talking about

No, I'm sure there's plenty.

>their version of the pointless wars in the Middle East

>implying killing countless subhuman sandniggers at the cost of like less than 9,000 coalition deaths in the Middle East is pointless

It really is.
Any kind of human killing project that isn't worldwide and systemic is pointless in the age of global transportation.

WHAT PART OF "THERE IS ONLY WAR" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!

Isn't that pretty much how he got his name, actually? "The Betrayer"? His warband was fighting another warband and it just got too fucking cold so everyone bunkered down instead of fighting so Kharne grabbed a flamer and started murdering everyone

I just want everyone to stop fighting and be friends

user, you are confusing first months of the war with the situation around late '16.

Do you remember how everyone was expecting to go home for Christmas '14 when the war started?

what if it was
"THERE IS ONLY WAR EXCEPT SOMETIMES WHEN THERE ISN'T"

>where they mourn all the shit they brought upon themselves
FTFY

>Space Marines drop in, purge everything

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE 41ST MILLENNIUM. THERE IS ONLY HOLIDAY CHEER AND JOY

This happens every time the Harlequin show up to put on a play.

What kind of presents would you get for a space marine?

>A marine wakes up from his four-hour slumber, only to smash his face into... his bolter, upgraded and decorated by the Forge Master. On the side, a note reads "naughty but not that much".

>A purity seal is affixed on a warrior's armour, celebrating their bravery and intellect. Oh, wait. It was affixed on the helmet's forehead. Oh, how unfortunate, it appears that I was really to tired to choose where to put it!

>A scout walks out of his room only to bump into a suit of power armour, holding a bolter against him. After the initial scare, he sees that it is empty... and it bears his name.

>The old Master of Sancticity merely takes the day off, to talk with his men and play with the Serfs' children.

>The Company Champions fight each other in a tournament, using wooden swords and plate armour. The rules require them to scream battle hymns in the cheesiest way possible. The winner gets a commendation, the respect of his comrades, and a relic sword.

>juvenile equestrian
>wants a kid that rides horses

well obviously he cant ride them himself, so getting someone else a pony and making their day is just as good.

You just been conscripted, new guy? This is How we celebrate Emperor Day in the Imperial Gard.

I love these kind of things. Maybe the "truce" in this case is being ever so slightly nicer in the fighting.