Our Friday game ended when the rogue put a Helm of Opposite Alignment on a Pit Fiend and it rolled a one on it's save

Our Friday game ended when the rogue put a Helm of Opposite Alignment on a Pit Fiend and it rolled a one on it's save.

Rogue says it should work. I say it's bullshit. GM says there will be consequences.

How the fuck does the Pit Fiend not immune to that if it doesn't explode in a paradoxical nature?

How did it fit on its head?

It will now be a Chaotic Good [Lawful Evil] creature and have the weaknesses of both.

Magic items that aren't weapons or armor resize.

What does a being of pure law and evil do as a chaotic good creature?

>2016
>Almost 2017
>Still using alignments

Quit your group and find a better DM.

>Only people I have for RPGs

It's them or nothing.

His instinct says lawful evil.

His mind says chaotic good.

It will be a conflicted existence. Imagine you no longer had to eat, and indeed no longer wanted to eat. But you still feel hunger.

Go from there.

This. Alignments are supposed to be a general description of how your character acts, based on a rough summary of their previous actions.

Alignments are NOT a hard and fast rule programmed into your character that FORCES them to act a certain way or changes their nature on a fundamental level. There's a reason 5e got rid of 99% of the spells, items, and class features that were based on alignments.

If you're still playing 3.5/Pathfinder though... you have my pity.

>HELM of opposite alignment
So how did it fit on its head?

It will still kill you, but it will feel somewhat uncomfortable. Then it removes the helm.

Pit fiends are intelligent creatures.

You make a valid point. Rules wise it's a wondrous (cursed) item. But fuck if a helm isn't armor.

Yeah, if that worked. Wish or Miracle is the only way to turn it back.

Not to mention that this situation is STILL fucking stupid.

Chaotic Good deeds.

If you play the game according to BoED where even the Always Evil creature can be good then there is no real problem.

As a DM I'd give the rogue his victory, explain that for balance reasons that next time it will be far more difficult to put a helm on an enemy in combat (a pin and followed by a grapple check to put the helm on for instance, assuming it's 3e).

It doesn't have AC, doesn't prevent casting, etc.

There are PC races with horns as well and they can wear helms just fine. It just grows appropriate holes when you put it on I assume.

That said, it's always a bit silly how high level intelligent creatures in D&D rarely use items.

It would probably be a good houserule to simply disallow them to be affected by worn items (they're too magical?) and to natural armour a non stackable straight armour bonus (doesn't impact PCs much, they have too many stacking bonuses any way, but would require tweaking a few monsters).

In 5e, all magic items resize.
Just throwing that out there.

If it makes things interesting, why shouldn't it work? Also, look up Fhjull Forked-Tongue from Planescape-Torment, he was an evil demon who was put in a pretty similar situation (i.e evil but forced to do good and selfless things).

It depends entirely on the Pit Fiends personality.

If it's a mook with no backstory, I recommend it basically becoming BRIAN BLESSED, and hamming everything up to max. So huge, bombastic, still sinister, but not evil.

>"I have been CHANGED! My perspectives MANIPULATED by your VILE MAGICS! THANK YOU! This is such AN interesting EXPERIENCE!"

If you can, make sure to shout in your players faces, to a degree, when speaking as this character.

I like this idea, and it will tickle the players.

Mine met a sea serpent that spoke punctuation.

"Excuse me comma what are you doing in my territory elipsis question-mark"
"Well comma if you are just passing through dash and I mean emphasis just end-emphasis passing through end-dash then it should be all right period."

The players asked if that was what he was actually saying, and they wanted to take the damn thing home with them when I said yes.

He didn't have his alignment changed, though. A better example would be Fall-from-Grace, the Lawful Neutral succubus.

>It will still kill you, but it will feel somewhat uncomfortable.
>Pit fiends are intelligent creatures.
This.
It can still kill whoever it wants, but it'll feel remorse and mope.

On top of being made of pure Lawful Evil, he's a Pit Fiend.That's like one step under godhood.

He's probably sucking off an Archdevil for favors.

He needs a name and motivation.