Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Happy Thanksgiving edition

>Previous thread
>Freshest Rules in Epub (Use Readium for PC or Kobo on Android)
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!2tgBUTYI

>Older stuff in PDFs:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>As current as the FAQs get
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (Dragons are red, Avengers are blue, the Wraithknight is huge, and he's going to kill you):
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

>List Builder if BS doesn't add enough bloat for you
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2016/12/24/kill-teams-in-the-office/
strawpoll.me/11959612
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So Im returning to this god forsaken game, haven't played since they legitimately fucked it up- you know when...

How does the general player base view the armies?

Im not sure what is an actual army, and what is just "5 dudes and their dad"

The general fanbases' stance on the armies is that they're all incredibly mary sue'd except when it comes to their particular chapter, who never kick enough ass.

>How does the general player base view the armies?
I guess it's just any bound formation or detachment that includes some troops, a leader of some kind and then whatever else, doesn't need to be a CaD.

People look down on lower tier armies that try to weasel out of it like an Ork/Dark Eldar army with 15 point mek/Lhamaean HQ.
They also look down on the infamous "that's so chaos space marines army with one chaos space marine" but I'm not sure that applies now TLs is out.

That's kind of what I expected I guess.

I see some new armies, and im not really sure if gw plans to support them. I hate unsupported armies like Sisters were for many years.

Looking to start Alpha Legion, now that they do not suck.

Anyone done games woth infiltrating chosen yet, and do you normally get within shooting range turn 1?

Which armies?

Any thoughts on this army? I want to play with my IK Paladin in a low level game just to see what happens. Only to be used in friendly games.

Main detachment are SM Bikers with almost bare minimum for Objective Secured. I thought about using Deathwatch, but I already have a few UM bikers and that captain.

Personally, I like to hold them in reserve so they can outflank instead, nothing quite stops an opponent's plans like a ton of plasma or melta in their back line

The problem with taking knights as the part of your force is that the game always ends up a question of how much anti-tank tank do they have.

Either you're playing one of the armies that can just shit all over the knight leaving the marines to fend for themselves against a force twice their size or they don't have enough AT and the knight cleans house.

This.

Infeltraiting cultists with autoguns to get up in their face turn 1 and try to shoot down weak support/chaff units like pathfinders or guardsmen to prepare for outflanking units turn 2.

Starting out DE want to know if this list is decent to work towards

Clowns remove tanks Succubus rides with the Incubii and the Haemonculus DS right next to something with ap2 and If he's not shot to shit might stab something

Whats the cheapest way to get arks?

Planning to spam them

Don't mix kisses and caresses, they seem similar but they're not.

>Warhammer planning a kill team game

>Novel writer picks orks and boys with Burnas
>Duncan plays Skittarii Vanguards
>One guy uses really nice looking Genestealers
>Phill Kell pick Eldar Jetbike spam

Wew

Do Orks just simply work in the void, or do they use some kinda orky space suit?

Oh. This does not sound like a lot of fun.

Ork lungs are for screaming and little else.

I'm new to 40K and I know that this has probably been said before but I don't see how it is possible for Duncan to be an actual human being.

See I've been watching the paint tutorials on Warhammer TV and this man is able to manipulate minis with one hand while holding his brush absolutely still with the other, and doing the most incredibly precise movements, all while talking.

I think he is either a robot or more likely a robot wearing human skin.

Skitari and Cult Mechanicus, Harlequins.

>Skitari and Cult Mechanicus

Ad mech are one of their best selling armies, no way they won't support it. There's a character model coming next month. Huge guy, big as a carnifex.

And even Sisters are getting new models.

Asking again mostly to finish of.
IA or IG Psykana division? For SoB and Inquisition?

Usually run PsyBolt Chimeras with 10 point Psyker for random Psychic Shriek or a Valk with Sucidid squad of plasma and bolter Acolytes deepstriking and then getting Prescience.

Suggestions?

Have you seen how tired he looks? That's a man who spends 22 hours a day painting. 1 hour for sleeping, 1 hour for making videos.

Lord Duncan has sacrificed much for his art.

I didn't know Imperial Armour had a Psykana division.

There not Duncan's they're this guys models

warhammer-community.com/2016/12/24/kill-teams-in-the-office/

>Phil Kelly picks Jetbike Spam
>He is full time in charge of writing Tau Fluff, now
I don't want this, make it stop.

Do ho ho Imperial Agents. Almost the same but no Commisars (but the rule is mention) and harness on a 3+ instead of 2+

I played all genestealer HoR kill team. it didn't work that well but it was really fun
finally got to play with genestealers like they were intended

Which is your prefered faction, Veeky Forums?

strawpoll.me/11959612

Harlequins were around for a long time before, and just recently got their own Codex. Not sure how long it will be before they get another update or add on, but it seems like all roles for them have been fleshed out.

paint small figures for fifteen+ years and you eventually get the hang of it, dude

Skitari and cult mech and super popular, they're 100% going to get future support.

I dont see harlies getting too much love but I do see them getting something new maybe as deathwatch antagonists or something.
Like when daemons got their decurion in the space wolf expansion.

>Phil Kelly
What an asshole he is.
I fucking hate him.

>Let's write a CSM codex with worthless CSM!
A few months later
>Eldar? Let's buff them to the stratosphere!

Where have they posted this?

Xenos, easily. They have the most variation and, unlike Chaos, don't rely purely on magic bullshit to be threatening.

Bro, didn't you hear? Traitor Legions gave a couple Legions viable rules, therefore CSM are fixed forever and no one is allowed to complain ever again.

GW community site.

>GSC list is illegal
Sigh. Does GW even read their own basic army building rules?

>nice looking Genestealers

My favorite faction is actually daemons but I think traitors are bitch boys and cannon fodder.

So long as the others they're playing with are fine with it, it's A-OK.

>he didn't watch the consecutive games of marines charging out of Rhinos
GW doesn't actually know how to play 40k.

Tbh, csm are viable now, and the traitor legions supplement went a long way towards that.

But it isn't without flaws.

Daemons count as traitors for the purposes of this poll.

>GW
>rules
enjoy age of emperor in 2 months lmao

How's this for a 1000 point list for Space Marines? I've been gone from 40k for a couple of years so any tips would be appreciated

>strawpoll.me/11959612

No.

Every attempt to try and play their own game on twitch was a disgraceful farce.

Let me repeat that.
The people who write the rules HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA what the rules of the game are.

This is what is truly scary.

where is the cheapest place to get cosmetic chaos marines bits? I want to make my normal chaos marines look alittle more themed to their respective gods.

>Bro, didn't you hear? Traitor Legions gave a couple Legions viable rules, therefore CSM are fixed forever and no one is allowed to complain ever again.
Thanks bro! I didn't know that.

This knowledge instantly and retroactively fixed 4 years of awful gaming experience.

5/9 Legions are still varying shades of shit.

They houserule and handwave a fuckload of stuff, so never play by the actual rules.

Plus it was narrative, so they gave even less fucks about the rules.

They literally said during their live streams that its OKAY to throw the rules into the bin and to do whatever is fun or BUILDS A NARRATIVE

About this, I've been thinking about making an Alpha Traitor Legion alied with renegade Imperial Guard.

Is that any viable?

Made a Tau list for a non-cheese local tournament. How does it look?

1495/1500
>HQ
Shas'O R'alai
>Troops
Shas'ui + 7 Breachers + Guardian Drone in unadorned Devilfish
6 Strikers with Pulse Rifles
>Elites
Shas'vre (homing beacon) + 3 Stealth Suits, all burst cannon + 1 Shield drone
Ghostkeel, all fusion
>Fast Attack
Tireless Hunter
Y'vahra with Stim Injector
Remora trio
>Heavy Support
Missileside trio

With my five points left I can give the Stealth shas'vre target lock and a markerlight (other sources: Remoras & R'alai), or I can give one of my JMC interceptor.

They'd normally need suits but most meks rig up a force bubble of atmosphere around shots they work on.

Of course it occationally fails and orks can still accedentally launch themselves off the hull into space, but the rest tend to laugh it off.

No.

WB are mediocre, TSons are shit.

The other guys are good to great.

What the hell is an 'Alpha Traitor Legion'?

I tried to avoid writing "Alpha Legion with rules of Traitor Legions" but I messed up.

Are there any units able to shoot at units locked in assault?

Closest thing I know of is Karamazov able to Orbital Strike on a friendly unit.

Charging from Rhinos isn't a thematic change. It was a retarded change in 7th edition, and there was no reason to alter the rule if they were going to ignore it anyways.

I'm sure it was a fun, thematic narrative forging for the Sons player getting his shit pushed in thanks to GW's pervasive incompetence.

Just say Alpha Legion, we'll assume you're using their rules unless you say otherwise.

Much better than the usual "one color for carapace one color for exoskeleton" garbage everyone else does.

If your Tyranids don't have a top to bottom and overlapping lateral color fade plus markings you're a faggot and doing it wrong.

at least they are interacting with the community even though phil kelly is a dickhead

Needs more transports.
Missile launchers are shit in tactical squads, so are flamers.
TL-lascannons are a waste on dreads.
Terminators are bad but I think they just don't do enough for their points, best with an assault cannon or bare bones.

Not the worst list to be honest.

Alpha Legion are one of the decent Legions. Coating the board with ObSec Infiltrating MEQ's is useful, and tides of respawning Cultists are great.

Renegades and Heretics do spamming cheap infantry well, and they do spamming cheap artillery well. Everything else is either ineffectual or a shitty knock-off of actual Imperial Guard, which aren't the most competitive book.

He's still a thousand times better than that faggot Cruddace.

I don't watch every show on the channel and have seen only a few games, but the guys who were playing were not the ones writing the rules. They were people from Warhammer World / TV or the WD.

The problem for the Twitch games is not some army building rules (unbound exists, as do house rules or narrative games) or rule errors (those happen even to tournament players). The problem is that tabletop games, or atleast warhammer, is shit to watch if its played live. Lots of time the players are just standing there, measuring movements and such, you rarely can see dice rolls and its hard to get a good view of the models if you also want to have a view of the table. Its not that they are not trying to give good production value, but this will always fall short to some edited videos that skip the bullshit and show dice rolls.

If you need Warriors, there's the Armored Assault box that's coming out.

If not, run Spruecrons.

THEN WHY THE FUCK DO THEY EXPECT ME TO BUY THEIR SHITTY RULEBOOKS IF THEY CONSIDER THEIR CONTENTS TOTALLY WORTHLESS?

REEEEEEEEEE

Night Lords, Iron Warriors, and Black Legion are crap. Word Bearers are shit, and Thousand Sons are abysmal.

Awful lot of Xenos in here.

where is the vid? i wanna see magnus get stomped

In tzeentch game they said they had the guy who did the space wolves codex was present for the game.

Cool, thanks for the tips.

Gonna have to pay for GW's archived videos. It was during their live stream on Twitch two weeks ago. He gets removed from play by the dog penis flyer, and the Sons are tabled on 3 or 4.

Renegades and Heretics waarlord can chose the Ordnance Tyrant trait that lets you put pies so they touch friends.

If you just want the guard for thematic reasons, just model your Lost and the Damned cultists as Traitor Guard.

How does making a custom army and custom units work? Is there a guide?

Can one trop kit be converted to another? If I had a spare Space Marines kit lying about and spruced it up with some kitbashed or 3rd party parts, could it be played as a Chaos Marine?

What about 'unique' units, like named commanders and stuff?

>what is the most important rule
Have you all even read the rule book? First thing in the rules section

>The problem for the Twitch games is not some army building rules (unbound exists
Except when they literally say "we are using the Cult Insurrection Detachment" and then break the composition rules of that Detachment. That cannot be excused with Unbound.

Read the rules.

They should have two guys whose only job it is to zoom in on the dice and the models being moved, in one of the small camera windows.

>Be like GW, don't be a cunt!
>while the writer for eldar is bringing an eldar scat-bike kill team against a kill team of Ork boyz

As dedicated transports for warriors, or as fast attack slots. You could run multiple CADs for extra fast attack slots. But at that rate, just take 6 units of 20 warriors with 6 ghost arks and never die.

See, I would have been totally fine with them doing cool shit for thematic reasons, but they just blatantly ignore the rules that they wrote. None of their changes were to enhance a narrative.

So with Creed, it says he can roll 2 Warlord Traits, either from the same Warlord Trait table or from 2 different ones. I'm confused, I thought there was only 1 Warlord Trait table? Where can I find another?

Cheers for the tips, made a few edits. Removed a marine each from my 10 man squads so they could ride in a rhino w/ a HQ.

Librarian knocked down to level 1 psyker. Replaced TL-Lascanon with TL-Heavy Bolter and Flamer with Plasma Gun. Good edits or was the original list stronger?

Also probably worth mentioning I'd be running them with Imperial Fist rules as a CAD

There's all the ones in the main rulebook you dunce.

I think the issue is that we aren't aware of exactly what GW's houserules are. Charging from rhinos could be a long standing thing for them (and perhaps something they plan on changing next edition) amd they're just so used to it that they didn't explain it.
Most of the guys seem like nice people who just want to have fun, so I think it's fair to give most of them the benefit of the doubt. That said
>>while the writer for eldar is bringing an eldar scat-bike kill team against a kill team of Ork boyz
Kelly deserves no such kindness. Don't accuse me of defending his shit: it's not possible and as such I won't even try. He's a cunt for taking that.

There a good place online where I can get plastic squig lookalikes?

Didn't know that. Thanks, faggot.

No rules for it.
If you decide to make shit up you're on your own.

Thanks
Super helpful

GW sent my shit to Italy. What the flying fuck.

Beside the bag lady for some odd reason Europeans have problems understanding shipping outside of Europe or the USA.

> Putting a TL-Heavy Bolter on a Dreadnought
> When 5-point Plasma Cannon is a thing that exists
Geeze, just replace the TLHB with a Plasma Cannon. It's a vastly better anti-infantry weapon that can actually threaten 2+/3+ infantry. It also HARD counters deep strikers.

Also, don't bother with Pistol/CCW on sergeants, just stick with Bolter. Having an extra attack on your sergeant isn't going to scare anyone, and you're just better off with that extra shot anyway to help your dudes get through.

If it's a long-standing house-rule, why the fuck did they disallow it with 7th edition? Maybe they should have actually played a couple games before they altered it from the preceding editions.

>call loyalists bootlickers
>loyalists still win

The Nightbringer C'tan can use none-psychic mind shriek on people in melee.

Also called Traitors dirty rats and Xenos filthy scum, so not exactly like your voting option was at a handicap or anything.