Oldhammer/Rogue Trader

Continuing the look into what used to be.

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD
warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/2016/12/27/from-the-archives-warhammer-40000-rogue-trader/
realmofchaos80s.blogs
youtube.com/watch?v=cOtm7noYEJ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Johnny

>Inquisitor

Weirdly that game was hugely profitable, probably because there wasn't actually much behind it in terms of production due to the small range of entirely metal miniatures that people would buy without even playing the game. GW sold a bajillion of that space marine figure at the very least.

It very much was a clusterfuck, a last-gasp off trying to recapture the intended playstyle of Rogue Trader but in a very messy way with so many bad choices, and unfortunately by that point the new-style audience of competitive-play no-GMs had really set in so people were trying to play it like a skirmish wargame not an RPG battle. The lack of campaign rules was a massive, massive misstep especially given the success of Necromunda/Blood Bowl/Mordheim campaign play.

>dose sweet Norse Dwarves

So good... and not a horned helmet in sight.

Reposting the WD archive for the new thread

mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

Thanks, was just about to do the same.

It's weird looking back at White Dwarf during the 3rd edition warhammer era and noting just how few articles there are for it. Tons for the RPG, hell even tons for Dark Future which hardly anyone remembers, but very few for the wargame.

Gotta giggle at the comment about the points system given they'd later adopt the method happily insulted here.

fresh picture of my own

Mission cards were actually a great idea. Shame everything went to just roll for a default scenario. Could get some interesting combinations going on with the cards. Not exactly balanced but then fuck it was 2nd edition and that was a shitshow of everyone and their dog being overpowered if they chose to be.

Some interesting commentary on tactics in Rogue Trader here. Really illustrates how much of a different game it was.

Is that Genestealer Magus the one that was never released?

Pretty sure that one was released, he's in the catalogue.

Those colours are great. there is a shocking lack of checkers and hazard stripes in modern 40k paintjobs.

Agreed.

>a shocking lack of checkers
The marines stopped listening to ska.

The dappled grey on the titans is one of my favorite "classic" effects on older models. That's something you hardly ever see anymore.

Amazing how much the game has changed over time.

....and yet, according to official 'canon', the actual Imperium of Man hasn't changed, like, at all..........thanks HH and your shitty writers!

Checkers are some of the hardest patterns to paint. Hazard stripes are more the realm of the Iron Warriors, now. Although Orks do have some checkering still, and AdMech has brought back some of the hazard stripes on their wiring. Seems like old 40k aesthetic is steadily creeping back in.

I like the description of warp travel. Really gets across how fucking weird the warp is. You're essentially taking a soap-bubble of realspace around you into the realm of nightmares, and then punching that bubble back into reality someplace else.

To me if such things have been absent it's because the painters at GW personally didn't feel like they fit or that they lend themselves better to certain factions. Knights, Titans, Orks, and Harlequins come to mind as the factions that use checkers. Could possibly get them working on Guard too if the models were different.

Hazard stripes seem more like a guard thing. Plenty of old schemes had their chainswords decorated in hazard stripes, as did a lot of the edge areas of their vehicles.

bump

warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/2016/12/27/from-the-archives-warhammer-40000-rogue-trader/

WEW LADS

> available for the first time

Are some of these old minies worth anything? I have some old plague marines still in the sprews.... they look like shit

infact all my shit is terrifyingly old and ugly.

Kek!

>Checkers are some of the hardest patterns to paint.
Like piss they are. Checker patterns are one of the first things I ever painted when I started. You could paint them just by clenching the brush between their asscheeks.

Yeah, I pretty much always think of the 30k era as the mohawk, heavy metal 80s version of 40k. It's nice that Forge World pay tribute to it occasionally but I like the idea of the early days having that wild Mad Max feel. To me, the gothic feel should only really be a thing when the Emperor becomes a religious icon.

>Not being britbong
>No ad-ons

Well lads, sing along:

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest...

Made to Order RTB01 when?

Actually looking at the price of GWs plastic kits these days, maybe not.

Daily reminder it will be "special", "collectors" etc. So think even more.

>not picking up an original for about £20~ on ebay

Call me when they reprint both books of Realms of Chaos. If they even have the balls to.

Yes, depending on what it is.
And more if you strip the paint off.

There was that Index Apocrypha thing that was some parts of RoC combined with old WD articles and stuff.

They are doing their best to remove Slaneesh.

They will never ever reprint RoC.

Uhh...is that stuff worth anything? Because I have a few...

Built and part painted, unfortunately. I should dig them out.

why are they removing Slaanesh?

The god of tits and wine isn't family friendly.

So. If they remove slaanesh, what does that do to the d/eldar? As the lore and flavor of the space elves is almost solely defined by their reaction to the threat of slaanesh. If we remove slaanesh... then what?

Why is he called Johnny?

Maybe they'll kill Slaanesh and the emperor's children / d.eldar in some big update?

that's the thing. Killing slaanesh wouldn't hurt the dark eldar, it'd make them stronger because they wouldn't have to avoid realspace.

Well maybe the D Eldar wouldn't be killed off and removed. But Slaanesh could still be killed.

I love these occasional threads. I have something of a soft spot for a lot of the old plastics particularly, easier to obtain for cheap I guess. Been hacking a lot off their integral bases and modernising them a bit, for use in Heroquest and eventually skrimish games like Song of Blades and Heroes.

I don't particularly go looking for stuff, but when you see someone selling 50 miniatures even of dubious quality for £10, you end up with several potential warbands.

I've been promising myself to go to Bring Out Your Lead, the main Oldhammer event hosted by Bryan Ansell's Foundry Miniatures in their stately home not far from Nottingham. Just need to paint a few more dudes to show off. I have some lead, but mostly more "Middlehammer" stuff than pre-slotta.

I would buy more old-school single miniatures from places like Ral Partha and Foundry if it wasn't like £3+£2 postage minimum.

It was a lot safer to link lgbt and orgies to demonic influence in the 80's

> THERE IS ONLY WAR
> BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
> EXTERMINATUS AND GENOCIDE FUCK YEAH
> Whoah hold on is that a boob back the fuck up I'm not putting up with this

Every time.

'murca.txt

Don't worry. The Imperium and the Chaos are going to be bunch of nice guys soon as well. They are changing setting as a whole to be less and less "offensive". The religious and totalitarian themes are soon to be [REDACTED] as well.

If they keep to mutilate the setting, I hope it at least slips out of their hands (as Fantasy did).

it's hardback

original's a soft cover, ain't it?

realmofchaos80s.blogs
pot.co.uk/2013/02/the-mighty-avenger-interview-with-bryan.html

Nice article about early Citadel and GW

Why are yanks obsessed with soppy bollocks PC identity politics? Cut it out knobheads.

My copy is, but GW were definitely producing hardback books around that time too so maybe it also had a hardback version.

My copy is hardback.

It was in hardback too as I've seen one, but paperbacks are much more common

Oh, interesting. My memory is worse than I thought.

This is not a Yanks only thing, its a mainstream media thing and that is universal.

They want to sell to kids, they need to pretend to moms and dads that the hobby is wholesome.

As a species we think shooting hordes of bad guys is a-ok but show some tits and suddenly Tarquin must be protected.

>As a species

I think you're mistaking the anglosphere for everyone.

They're not removing slaneesh, thats just paranoia. Watch, first was Khorne, now Tzeench is getting a big push atm, I'll bet you both nurgle and slaneesh will get one too.

Relax.

>Denial: The Post.

Call ye bullshit.

They totally not have done it in AoS?

In 40k it will need more bullshit-tier asspulls, but they will get to it. Ascended Belakor/Abbadon? Some new god resulting from psychic explosion? One of C'tan? Fucking Hive-Mind ascended?

Does not fucking matter who they get to it, it still will be shit. Internal consistency will sooner or later be given up in order to carter momies and papas who lay out the cash on their sonnies first 3000k army.

I, for one, welcome the coming of the Horned Rat into 40k.

(Space skaven when?)

Mantic make those already, so never.

Its supposed to be the God of excess, not the god of sex and drugs. I never understood why neckbeards have such a hard time accepting this...

When the company markets it based on sex and drugs and most of the adventures relate to hedonism...

I know its excess and perfection but GW do like a nice bit of S&M or a tit monster or to go on about how seductive the daemons are...

I think GW did it wrong releasing the titty-models of last ed daemonettes to be frank. This is the one thing neckbeards will remember to the grave about Slanesh. And when the recent ed daemonettes was released, they where met with grave critique, despite being more close of a model to the original concept than the daeomon loli´s.

So yes, you are right, GW fucked up with that release, as it put focus on the sex part. And we as a community fucked up big time, because thats the only part we still want Slanesh to be about it seems.

I partialy agree, but Slaneesh and his idea of excess have always carried certain focus on decadence and sexual or semi-sexual, sadistic pleasure, especially when one removes ROCK'N'ROLL aspect that GW deemed not serious eunough.

There were aspects of big S. they could have focused on instead, like want of glory and fame.

They are too shit writers to do this tho.

>puffy shirt marines

I don't know if I love this or not...

this

>god of witchcraft and backstabbery
>disembodied eyes everywhere
>bueno

>god of murdering people for no reason
>followers are covered in blood, skulls, dead infants
>nbd

>god of disease
>followers are basically walking pustules and it's hard to even look at the models (especially when they are done well)
>still fine

>god of excesses
>a single tit
>WHAT THE FUCK GW PLS REMOV REMOV REEEE

"it's not a tit, it's a pustule"

Oh. Well then. Carry on.

>terminator marine with pokemon banner standing in a beehive

love it

it's disingenuous to dismiss the intervening 30 years of development and changes to audience playstyles

you have made detective somerset disappointed

Given they started adopting the other method within something like 5 years of that statement, well, no.

they're not

lots of RoC stuff was in the new Index Chaotica: Apocrypha, which you can still get as an ebook

various eras of Daemonette were made available as part of made to order just this month

etc

etc

they're no longer running either of the systems that RoC applied to, in fact, they're 5 or 6 editions later for 40k and fuck, like 12 and a whole new deal for WHFB/AoS

fuck you, casual, go jerk it at the library if you're gonna fetishize out of print shit

I recently bought pic related, would it be a good idea to buy Index Chaotica?

Thinking of buying it user, is it worth a twenty or should I wait for the softback copy?

They are neutering the franchise. Deal with it. They already removed Slaneesh from one of the settings.

As for RoC:
No one really cares for early 90's 40k, WH and WHFRP rules. But the vision of Chaos was pretty interesting and intense. Some most iconic artwork are there, for example Miller's Chaos Wastes.

What's in those books? Artwork? Old articles? Trivia?

Here's a video where a guy gives the book a runthrough

youtube.com/watch?v=cOtm7noYEJ0