Trinkets

lets come up with trinkets and there effects.

for those of you who don't understand the concept of a trinket, its a small item that a character can carry or wear that will have some sort of effect.

advice: try to think of something you can hold in your hand, nothing huge. also a sense of mystery tends to help make an item rememberable, although this isn't mandatory as if you intergrate an item intoi some form of culture then that can work just as well, if not better.

to start of I'm going to post some of my own

Grasping ring

you will stop one hit point from death from a hit that would other wise kill you unless you are on 1 hit point already

a claw like ring that clutches to your hand desperatley, as if its very existence depends on it. wearing it allows you to cling to life, as the ring does to you.

Burnt page

causes the holder to go insane. making none existant objects to apear and blurs visoin. said to reveal arcane truth

a burnt page from one of the many heretical books that where burnt. whatever secrets it may hold have been rendered un-obtainable, yet it stil raidates an aura of strange arcane power, driving any one who hold it insane

Ivory brooche

the user is harder to be scene by ranged enemies.

an odd ivory brooche, inscribed with odd words that are unpronouncable to the human tongue. those who hold it are veiwed by others with an odd scense of simpafy and remorse

Poisoin berry

users healing items heal much more, however the user is poisoined when they use them.

a poisoness berry. causes initial releif to virtually anything when consumed, but will eventually prove a naive solutoin

Matted fur

the user does increasingly large quantities of damage for each succseful hit they perform.

soaked in blood, this odd fur cannot be traced to any living beast, it reaks of something awful. its very scent causes a form of bloodlust in the holder

Grey herb

all status affect duratoins are halved.

a scentless grey herb that grows in the mountains. sold as a miracle cure to all ailments, and as a result is in rare supply. never rots or wilts, its come into questoin wether the plant is even alive

That sounds like a Pokémon held item.

Jesus Christ stop randomly adding "e" and "i" to words.

>poisoness
i don't think english is his first language
or he's like 8

A small shell. Holding it up to your ear allows you to eavesdrop on nearby conversations or other interesting goings-on. There is no apparent way to control what is heard through the shell, it chooses what it believes to be the most interesting thing happening it the moment.

A leather bracelet. Wounds on the side of the body where it is worn do not bleed. Claimed to have been made from the scabbard of Excalibur.

About three-fourths an inch of a candle. Burns very slowly, and will last for just over seven hours.

A glass inkwell with arcane runes inscribed on its surface. Ink stored in it for at least several hours will develop a faint magic aura. It has no particular effect, but may be useful for those who can see the enchantment.

A small porous stone. Will slowly purify water it's placed in, making it safe for drinking.

At least for 5e...
Venom's Vertebrae

Resistance to poison damage, advantage on saving throws vs. poison, half poison duration, and advantage on attacks that deal poison damage.

---------------------------

Contrictor's Vertebrae

Advantage on attempts to grab creatures, and impose disadvantage on creatures' attempts to escape your grab.

Mask of Drama

When worn, this simple mask overlays an image of any desired face, real or fictional, over the mask itself. The mask is still visible beneath and cannot disguise anything else on the wearer's body, making it unsuited for most forms of deception. Its primary use is in theater, as the name implies.

Memoria Musica -

This magical wall scroll is completed by writing a song on it, which forever keyes the scroll to the song that in inscribed. Anyone nearby who sings, plays, or even hums the same song will be delighted as the scroll will provide magical accompaniment in the form of voice or instrumentation. It is said that the legendary bard Orpheus create the first of these for his lover. They are now prized as training tools and historical marvels by bards throughout the land.

>keyes
Keys even

Swanblood potion

This decanter contains a fluid that appears to be normal blood until it is brought into moonlight, which causes it to turn a brilliant silver color.

If the liquid is consumed while in this state, the drinker's natural beauty is magnified until the sun rises the next day. The character's appearance remains the same, but faults subtly become charm points, and natural beauty becomes more striking. The magic is broken when the sun next rises, or if the character speaks an untrue word.

Twin Stones

A weaker cousin of sending stones, these two small grey pebbles would be otherwise unremarkable if they were not completely identical. If one is chipped, scratched, or marred in any way, a similar defect appears on the other. This can be used by clever characters to communicate in a limited fashion.

The Bowl of Alms

This simple wooden bowl reacts to sincere prayers for basic necessities. If a character that owns no gold or silver and carries no food can pray before a meal and places a single speck of grain, rice, or bread inside, it will turn into a nutritive and filling if simple meal. The bowl can be used endlessly by anyone who meets the requirements of being truly poor. Attempts to trick it have not yet succeeded.

Throwing rock

A small, smooth stone, about the size of a golf ball. Utterly unremarkable at first sight. If it's thrown at something, it bounces back into the hand of the thrower.

Originally made by a bored wizard on a whim.

Mask of Secret Sight
A simple ivory mask. Blurs your vision somewhat, but allows you to see the auras around people and objects.

The Gruesome Awl

This leatherworking tool appears perpetually stained with black ichor, no matter how much it is cleaned. Despite that, any leather pieces crafted with it seem to almost never need oiling or cleaning, and resist wear and weathering far beyond what would be expected.

If in desperation the awl is used an an improvised weapon, the wielder discovers that despite dealing minimal damage, it creates cursed wounds that never naturally heal and respond only minimally to magic - on both the target and the one wielding the awl.

Sevenfold screen

This tall dressing screen is lushly decorated with contemplative scenes from nature from a foreign land. If a character is nude behind the screen, their words will have the ring of truth to anyone who can hear them but not see the speaker. Great or impossible lies are still obvious, but white lies seem to be absolute truth and everyday deceptions feel more plausible. Curiously enough, the magic works both ways, although this is rarely discovered due to social norms.

Dreamlamp

This small lamp, made of a silver frame and clouded glass, has no room for oil but has inside a small spiked candlestick. The lamp's magic reacts to a few drops of blood spilled into the candlestick basin, causing the person who sleeps closest to it to see the dreams of whoever's blood was used.

Using your own blood is not advised, as it can make your own dreams dangerously vivid.

The dreams last only as long as the candle inside burns, I should say.

Decanter of Endless Color
This stoppered bottle can be filled with any liquid, which over a 24 hour period takes on all the colors of the rainbow inside the bottle, despite its original color or lack thereof. When poured out, the liquid retains this magical coloring for up to a minute. It was once used by elven nobles to provide a visual delight when diluting wine in water with a meal, but clever adventurers have used it to track the flow of an underwater current.

Tears of a Sea Hag

Not really a magical item, more of a rare alchemical ingredient. Despite their dolorous natures, a Sea Hag's tears are typically lost into the ocean as soon as they are formed. It is said that these are best obtained by making the cursed witch remember her former life as a mortal, no easy task.

The tears themselves are invaluable as they render metal malleable underwater and permanently rust resistant, allowing it to be cold forged into useful forms by reef elven magesmiths. The demand for these has dropped since the discovery of coralloy.

>a claw like ring that clutches to your hand desperately
C'mon, we both know that's not where I would wear it.

Enemy's Skull

A jewleled human skull hollowed out on the top, used to flick ashes from cigarettes, cigars, or other paper wrapped smokeable herbs. Contains ash and dust to prevent messes, and causes a male holder's phallus to grow twice the length. In females, causes breast tissue to swell in size.

You misunderstood, we weren't looking for FATAL.

Finger of Gaudiness

This golden human finger is typically sought after by those in the magical professions. By attaching this finger to their hand, a person can wear rings on each finger and not be meaningfully encumbered. Finger has the side effect of making rings worn with this incredibly tacky and gaudy.

>brooche
>harder to be scene
>"unpronouncable"
>scense
>simpafy

>simpafy

>simpafy

>Poisoin
>poisoined
>releif
>solutoin

>succseful
>reaks

>duratoins
>questoin
>wether

Fucking hell, are you retarded or just a third-worlder?

Currently playtesting a homebrewed setting and system with some buds, it's in the modern day. A few artifacts we've come up with include:
>Wang Mang's Parasol
Causes local weather to always be sunny. Formerly stored in a museum in the Sahara. When worn with wet-weather clothes (raincoat, galoshes, etc.) the effect is reversed.
>Lesser Tuning Tools
Tool kit that contains tools necessary for tuning most modern instruments. Instruments tuned by these tools will be in perfect tune, but only when not playing actual music. Just playing one note will be okay, but playing a piece, prepared or improvised, will be a minimum of 1 half-step off.
>Saboteur's Crayons
When eaten, create an illusion that makes the eater appear mentally challenged, deaf, blind or all of the above. Usually used to get in or out of places people shouldn't be—guards and police are less likely to shoot some random tard or a blind gentleman.

I'm fillipino and dyslexic man, cut me some slack

you got slack from me man, the ring at the top is some good loot, and I have yet to read the rest.

>Seven Leafed Clover
This small piece of fey greenery makes whoever holds it supernaturally lucky. While held, ability checks have an additional +1 to whatever. In addition, you can eat the clover to gain an automatic critical hit for maximum damage. Legends say that only a leprechaun can grow a seven-leafed clover, and they will only give it up for a friend in need.

>Chalk of Opening
This long, thick piece of chalk has curious properties. Drawing a doorway on a surface about 10 feet thick will cause it to open, as if on a hinge. These curious pieces of chalk was invented by an absent-minded wizard who was always leaving the keys to his house indoors.

>Halfling Salt
This small salt shaker of dark green coloured salt has great properties. A sprinkle of this on your bread or in your stew gives it enough energy to fill ten men, or one halfling. This salt is common amongst poorer halfling households, as a way to stretch meals out.

>Periapt of Freshness
An elegant charm like a fine mesh, this removes all poison and impurity from water, and turns stale and rancid food clean and whole. Said to be a charm that an ancient human king commissioned from a wise old wizard to keep his food fresh and succulent.

A crude, mud-speckled half brick radiating weak magical aura. It doesn't really do much but you can chuck it at someone?

I might say this one would work better as

"the wearer is seen but not recognized as out of the ordinary or suspicious"

almost makes it better than invisibility, because you're less likely to be run over by a car...

but that bitch in a sock, beat down them eldritch horrors

>chalk of opening
did you get that from pans labyrinth?

the idea of the brooche is to make people who spot you less likely to attack you out of pity or sympathy

>Blah blah blah be adventure with Grasping ring
>Party watches as my head gets crushed by something, say a door slowly closing, but I don't get my entire body out in time
>ring activates
>For all intents and purposes(crushed brain yo), my character is dead, but his body is not
>Party drags this still living corpse back home where my family refuses to destroy the body and officially kill me
On the bright side, I pass all Will saves now

>I'm fillipino
Ha, ha! There's a crazy idiot running your country! Ours doesn't start for another few weeks.

>Weapon of Shared Suffering
Power (1/day):
Use this when you hit using an attack power. Take damage equal to the total amount of damage dealt with the attack, then each target of the attack that was hit takes double damage from this attack.

I'm gonna steal that Swanblood potion. Nice job, user.

could be Beetlejuice, too

A small brass sculpture of a dog (about the size of a cigarette packet), starts emiting barking sounds when close to magic and magical things (besides itself)

Cursed version: sets itself off, cannot be discarded (always mysteriously appears in your possession) and surprisingly hard to destroy.

>first thought was Chalk Zone
my /co/ is showing

Sword of Hebrus

Once Gripped, the finely adorned Scimitar cannot be dropped so easily, it's weird feels compelled to keep it firmly gripped in the first hand that fastened around its jeweled hilt. A powerful Wizard, or perhaps an iron will, would be needed to finally let this otherwise useless sword go.

A simple rule for writing in English is "'I' before 'E' except after C." Other than that it looks like you just need to flip the 'i' and the 'o' when you spell a word with then close together like "potion, poison, question." etc. Dyslexia sucks ass, though.

except for the long list of exceptions to this rule...it kind of sucks.

What country?

Shard of the Sky

A small piece of a glasslike substance that will not shatter or scratch. Instead of a reflection, it displays a miniature version of the weather at the current location.

If it is raining, the Shard will be slightly damp and slick. If it is snowing or something similar, it will be cold, and may even be as slippery as ice. If the day is overcast, it will be somewhat cool to the touch, and the air in several inches around it will be cooled down or warmed to a refreshing and pleasant temperature. If it is sunny, the surface will be visible even in darkness, and will glow softly.

If the Shard is taken into another dimension that doesn't have a sky, it will permanently show the current weather at the last place it was. This can be used by Wizards who can go to a private plane during a storm and come back when the storm is over.

Appears to be a simple dagger, however the blade is illusory.

You'd guess that this was designed as an elaborate prop for a play or something.

Archivist's Eyeglass

A tiny, unmarked book, similar in size and appearance to the Gideon New Testaments.

When opened by a sentient creature with the capability of literacy, it displays the last text the reader looked at, translated into the reader's native language if it was not already. This does not require the reader to have been able to understand the language of the last text they looked at, and the text does not have to have been in a book or anything else. It just has to have existed physically - scrawls on a cavern wall, ancient tomes, and so on. It can be read by anyone in the vicinity as long as it stays open and they know the language. If the book closes, it is "reset".

There are some caveats. "Things man was not meant to know" or incomprehensible concepts will not be translated and will just appear as smears on the paper - for example, expressions of senses or colors the reader does not know. If the book is opened by an animal, it will be blank. If the book is opened by a blind man, the book will be a description of the surroundings at a fairly simple (8th grade in American terms) reading level, with descriptions of magical items only listing their visible physical properties; if there is a glowing orb that is a core of magical ice and crystallizes everything around it, the book will call it "a glowing orb".

If the reader closes and immediately opens the book, the text will be the same, but only on the pages they were looking at when it was closed. If they flip to other pages, they will be blank.

>Shattersphere

A small, glass orb, it fits comfortably inside your hand. About as large as a normal snowball.

Shatterspheres are magical entropy generators.
Some forms of magic, particularly the more obscure and perverse, rely on the slow chaotic nature of the multiverse to produce supranormal effect. A shattersphere is a localized and crystalized form of that entropic potential, in the form of an easily concealed ball.
When an especially potent spell is required, the tropomancer throws the ball at the ground, releasing the entropic potential stored within. The universe's disorder increases, and some of that is bled off to feed the spell.

Being both a powerful magical aid, as well as a minor threat to long-scale stability, shatterspheres are considered taboo for genteel spellcraft.
This does not stop their popularity, however.

I kinda want play a Thermodynamics Wizard now.

Sapheart

A very thin and light wooden staff with many features.

Firstly, it has multiple forms. It can become a wand, a wizardly staff, a club, a quarterstaff, and a baton. All are useless as melee weapons due to how light the wood is, but it is very difficult to cut through or break, so the quarterstaff state is passable for defense against creatures that strike with the strength around that of a strong but mundane human. In general, it's very poor for actually hitting things, and performs no better than mundane wood for the purposes of casting spells.

Second, it can emit a large puff of a golden pollen. It's rather irritating and itchy and should not be gotten in the eyes, but otherwise harmless. Useful for a distraction. The pollen has no species and may pollinate any flower that receives it. This may only be done once before it must be "recharged" by being laid on dirt or another fertile substance (this includes a mundane corpse) for the duration of a short rest or your system's equivalent.

Third, whatever fertile surface it is laid upon for an extended period of time (more than 30 minutes or so) will start to have tiny grasses sprout from it. These persist after the staff is moved and their life cycle continues as normal. The grasses are dependent on the local flora. If it is instead laid on ground that already has plants sprouting, their growth will slightly be accelerated, and they will become more lush. Flowers and fruits will be larger, and grasses will be greener.

A simple pendant with no effect.

Even so, pleasant memories are crucial
to survival on arduous journeys.

>leather bracelet
>wear it around your neck with a metal collar extension at the back
problem solved

...what do they do to carefully ordered magic?

do they cause a low level of statistically improbable things to occur?

it obviously prevents you from taking fatal damage
In most settings you're incapacitated unto death if you don't receive medical help

Having your head crushed would be fatal no matter how much help you got

in a sandstorm it goes DOODOODOODOO

I see what you did there

Devil's Tail

A fork that ostensibly draws from the fires of Hell to heat food.

In practice, any liquid in which the actual fork (not the handle) will be heated to a pleasant warmth. It won't make your stew as hot as a fire would, or disinfect your water, but it might make the gruel more palatable. The speed depends on the size. A bowl will be warm in about 30 seconds, a cauldron in about 20 minutes. The heating restores freshness and flavor - sticking it into the sludge of cooked beans will have it reheat to normal beans in their own juices, not the thick paste like when beans are microwaved IRL.

Likewise, any meat that is eaten using this fork will be warm upon going into the mouth of the eater. It will taste perfectly fresh, but slightly more spicy.

If this object is carried into temples, graveyards, or other "sacred" places, the bearer will find themselves unable to get comfortable no matter what position they sit in, and will not sleep easy in those locations, unless the character's alignment is some form of Evil.

Oh and I forgot to add.

Also barring Evil alignment, if one uses the fork to eat in view of a man of the faith (Paladin, clergyman, priest, etc), that man will feel ill at ease until the next dawn. If the man of the faith uses it, he will feel a bit guilty and immoral for a short time and have no idea where it is coming from. This is not actually registered as a sin by any gods using a typical moral code. If a god hates magical items, then he will be incensed, but that has nothing to do with the object itself.

This does not affect using it to heat, only if it used to consume. Putting it in a bowl of soup and eating the soup with a spoon or slurping it does not apply this. Using it to spear and munch on a chunk of mutton will. This effect does not include monks (of the not!Buddhist stereotype) and other beings that may have a belief system but do not have a church or believe in an actual God figure.

There is no actual religious component and it is not truly affiliated with any sort of demon or devil.

Scarred Enoch

9 plates of hard scarred flesh. when struck it bleeds a poisones bile, that is sweet to taste, but upon devouring will cause the one who ate its skin to slowly devlop tough, scaly, imaleable skin, similar to harlequinn itchiosis, until eventually they become unable to move.

Well, entropically generated magic relies on a handful of basic principles, laid out by a few of the great magicians in the field when it was first being developed.

Unlike the mumbo-jumbo of """classical""" magic, tropomancy is actually remarkably consistent. To cut a very long explanation short, it relies on a single underlying principle, first discovered by the archmages Bernoulli, Clausius, and Boltzmann, and many, many others working in concert over decades. I could gush about this for hours, but here:
"deeyou equels teedee ess mine peedee vee".
By manipulating this, a tropomancer is able to affect the universe in ways foreign to traditional magic.

To directly answer your question, say you've got a repeating magical system in place. We'll use the "animated broom servant", since it's a common introduction for beginners.
When the shattersphere is introduced, it causes a localized change in the entropy of the multiverse. Look back at the incantation I showed above—a skilled tropomancy will intuitively understand how they can use this change in entropy to influence other properties in the system.

This often manifests as a change in size or energy. However, rarely, a tropomancer going blindly through the motions can engage with too much potential change. Particularly well-ordered environments suddenly being exposed to extreme disorder puts them into shock, like an old aunt seeing their nephew's cluttered and foul quarters.
When this happens, anything goes. The multiverse tries to settle towards an equilibrium with respect to the change in entropy, which can cause all sorts of magical havoc.

One time, one of my colleagues dropped a whole tray of old shatterspheres in the bin, only to discover that many of them still held entropic potential.
We found him two weeks later, partially fused to the rafters, with a fifteen foot long left arm. It just happened to be the most stable configuration of the universe at the time.

Don't fuck about with entropy.

A silver coin, although it doesn't appear to be currency minted in any country you've ever heard of. On one side is the head of a snake, the other features its tail.

When flipped in a game of chance, the coin always lands on the side least preferred by the user. If flipped idly by someone unaware of the enchantment, the coin seems to have no effect. However, if one aware of the enchantment uses the coin, but has no desired outcome, misfortune befalls the user, usually in the form of accidentally flinging the coin into their own eye or it bouncing into some hard to reach or precarious position.

Further attempts by those trying to "test" the coin by flipping it in some small, contained area or taking other excessive precautions just to force the coin to behave in a particular way will cause the coin to violently shatter into splinters, likely harming those nearby.

Well, then your head is protected. Now you don't have to wear a helmet!

It just stops you from bleeding, a crushed skull or sword in the brain is still going to kill you.

ur a fag d00d

Some trinkets that have shown up in my game:
>a set of magically enchanted cookware
food doesn't stick to it
>enchanted oilcloth
when attached to a sword or other edged weapon, the blade is always clean and oiled.
>donkey's burden straps
when wound around the chest and arms, it provides a bonus to carrying heavy items. No combat bonuses or other strength-based benefits.
>firestick
a small wooden stick that will light a campfire in any weather condition, provided that it's applied to appropriately consumable fuel.
>grow-bag
a bag that will slowly "grow" duplicates of whatever small mundane items are placed in it.
slingers and rangers like them because they can grow additional sling stones and arrowheads. mundane (cheap) spell components for frequently used spells can be grown. the rate of growth is slow so it's not usually ideal for gold or gems.
>pouch of glowing beads
a small pouch filled with beads that have been enchanted with a light spell. When scattered they provide continuous light. (my party likes to scatter these when we're in dark dungeons)

>fireproof panties
Nobody understands why these were made or what motivations were in the mind of the person who invented them, but this pair of somewhat racy underwear has tiny mystical patterns woven into the lace, granting a small bonus to fire resistance. It also grants the wearer a small bonus to healing against fire-related injuries.

This is halrious, you have your rogue, who is going to christen his new blade in some blood, he rolls amazing stelth checks, gets right up to his mark and attempts to slit his throat, the blade does nothing, the orc guards just kind of look at him like "wtf was that about!?"

> The boiling bottle
Any liquid placed in this bottle will be warmed to near boiling temperatures for the liquid, though the outside stays cool to the touch. It is said to have been made by a wizard that enjoined his tea very, very warm.

Necklace of null

A silver chain attached to a small obsidian orb that radiates a feeling of unease.

The necklace when worn, negates all spells within a 10ft radius. All spells that enter the area of effect dissipate, does not effect items thrown with telekinesis. After being worn for one year without removing it, the orb is absorbed into the skin and the person can no longer cast spells or have a spell cast on them. This effect cannot be reversed by any means other than a wish or devine intervention.

> The ring of glamour
A simple copper ring with two gem stones placed in a simple setting, one pink, a rose quartz, one black, a piece of onyx. When placed on one's finger they appear as if they were the most perfect version of then self they could want to be. Made by a witch who wanted others to see her as she saw her self.

I want to steal and change this:

Enemy's Ember Skull

A skull with a fixed, closed jawbone and a small dish on top for flicking the ashes of cigarettes into or tamping pipes into. The eyeholes of the skull flicker when this is done.

After enough sparks are given, and the right incantation is used, the jawbone impossibly opens, a red light pouring from the skull's mouth. It is enough to see by, but is dim and colored enough to avoid much notice.

If in desperation, the skull can be forced to scream, sprewing a cone of flame against whereever the skull is facing.

Hag of Bolding

A small, carved wooden figurine of a curmudgeonly old woman wielding a cane. Whenever the user fails a save against a fear effect, the figurine shouts "GET YOUR ARSE IN THERE AND THRASH 'EM PROPER YA RUDDY GOBSHITE!", thus alleviating the effect. The user then becomes immune to fear effects for 1d4 rounds.

Flesh Bucket

A heavily enchanted bucket that, when filled with holy water and poured on human remains, reverses the state of their decomposition.

oh man I fucking laughed