What is a substitute for tolkien style orcs? i.e. dumb, angry, evil, formidable to peasants and low level characters

What is a substitute for tolkien style orcs? i.e. dumb, angry, evil, formidable to peasants and low level characters

In the past I've used crazy/mind controlled humans, kobolds, goblins, hobgoblins and githyanki but I want something uglier and eviler

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VoAfb3f04mo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

feminists

the human underclass/lower classes: the lower the more sadistic and vicious they are.

Monkeys.

Grimlocks would fit the bill

>dumb
You mean those industrious orks that build machines?

>What is a substitute for D&D/PF style orcs? i.e. dumb, angry, evil, formidable to peasants and low level characters
Fixed it for you, OP.

yea but their machines are shit and some industry makes them even better

Gengis era Mongolians. They aren't evil per say, they just kill everything in their path.

Gnolls or Bugbears.

Trolls. Ogres. Elves. Pigmen. Humans, even. Just about any man-sized sentient can be given the traits commonly attributable to orcs.

>but their machines are shit
Give them a break, they are pioneering them. Though I don't remember their industry being described en detail in the books, so don't let the look of the movies fool you.
>and some industry makes them even better
I don't understand what this has to do with intelligence.

if they can build castles thats cool because they can create epic settings

they still charge like retards and don't question their overlords

nope
I need a substitute because I dont have tolkien orcs and I need something in place of them

>and don't question their overlords
Have you missed all the infighting? Can I talk with someone that knows a thing?

they dont question sauron and they mostly question their peers because of how hateful they are

Not him, but in stuff like Unfinished Tales you get explicit confirmation that Orc weapons and armor are inferior to what the Rohirrim had available.

Uh, what? They do that too. Go re-read the conversation between Shagrat and Gorbag at the end of the Two Towers; they certainly question Sauron, and only don't desert him because they think they can't get away with it.

Your right, they never act against people who rule over them unless they can get away with it

they just hate everyone

It isn't really about quality but quantity in this case. Yes, handmade stuff is better in Tolkiens universe, but this doesn't mean that the machines and the industrial process that churn out weapons isn't sophisticated either

No mention of Scro and Spelljammers?

Pathetic.

Gnolls

If you're looking at D&D, there should be plenty of opportunities, but what about the humble Chaos Beastman? He already looks demonic and inhuman.

Sorty pic for ants I know

I use Lizardmen. Which are actually just kobolds who have been twisted by worshiping old ones, not entirely unlike Tolkien orcs.

Got you op

I forgot about these guys
I made a campaign with them but we never played it

do you remember their actual title or what monster manual theyre
>we still play 3.5

Demons. Why go eviler when you can go evilest?

they are way too strong

Monster Manual III has the Goatfolk, but what I am suggesting is that you steal the far more evil and monstrous Chaos Beastman from Warahmmer.

Hang on, I'll find my WFRP 1e book and write them up for you.

Gotta love the beast-men, Crawling from the dark places of the world, birthed from man and beast alike thanks to the subtle corrupting influences of the magic infused in the very land it'self.

They just hate, hate and hate. Orcs are at least in it for a good fight, Skaven have goals in mind or so they say, But beastmen just want all to be ruin and ash, blood spilt in the name of their gods. Man is ment to be prey and nothing more in their mind, so that's what they try and do.

I was going to post this.

They're the perfect grunt-level foe. Strong and ferocious enough to threaten peasants and low-level characters, but unarmoured and dim witted enough to justify fully armoured knights cutting through swathes of them.

And when you get to that point, it opens up the opportunity for more fearsome does like Minitours and other halfbreeds.

WotC style Orcs?

>that dinosaur having a laugh in the background

kek

Originating in the Northern Chaos Wastelands, these foul creatures have the forms of men, perverted into animal shapes and endowed with unnatural attributes. They are the minions and servants of the Chaos Gods, who bestow their forms upon them - as well as other unnatural gifts. If Beastmen ever had Human blood in their veins, it is now very dilute indeed, and they have become established as a race in their own right. They are despised by every other living creature, and live in small bands deep in the forests of the Old World, emerging to plunder farms and poorly-protected villages. They speak a language called the Dark Tongue.

Physique: Beastmen vary greatly in appearance, but the most common types resemble Humans with beasts' head and legs, although others may have animal heads only, like Minotaurs. Beastmen do not breed true, and new mutations are spawned in every generation. A large group of Bestmen will typically include individuals with extreme mutations, such as no head, limbs of variable size, multiple limbs or heads, and variable skin colours and textures. These more extreme mutations are regarded as especially favoured by the Chaos Gods.

Any given individual will ahve 1d6 mutations, which may be determined from the table below:

--Roll 1d10: Mutation--
> 1 - Blood Rage - The creature is subject to Frenzy(Berserk)
> 2 - Multiple Arms - The Creature has 1d4 extra arms
> 3 - Prehensile Tail - Capable of Wielding a Weapon
> 4 - Tough Skin - 2 points of armour on all locations
> 5 - Poisonous Bite
> 6 - Beast Head - The creature has an animal head
> 7 - Beast Legs - +1d4 to movement
> 8 - One Leg - The Creature can hop at alf speed
> 9 - Tentacles - Instead of Arms
> 10 - Headless - Head is set into chest.

thanks user
this is dope

Morlocks

Three words user. Neanderthal. Predation. Theory.

Do people take this shit seriously?

Germans

It was some long time ago that I looked into that, but I thought it has some good points.

Personally, I believe we (and us as well) assimilated/warred with the other species of Homo genus. However, I've got nothing wrong with this in a fantasy game, or even an alt-earth Paleolithic themed game. Shit, actually that would be awesome.

Underrated post

I guess some might.
Not the kind who have even a slight interest in actual science though.

black people

search your heart
you know it to be true

>Not-Neanderthal protohumans
Not always evil but one which is gradually becoming irrelevant. In order to keep up many throw in with warlords in need of fodder. Some revive ancient pacts with dark gods or horrible beasts in order to retake their kingdoms.

>Mass produced neo-humans
(stolen from Warframe)
A new wave of humans cloned on mass, designed to be expendable. Generally bred by callous masters and raised on propaganda to become zealots. After several generations they have begun to degenerate.

>Fomorians
A collection of strange creatures from far off lands. They are lopsided men, or people with the features of dogs and goats and birds. Goblins and ogres and beautiful things. All different but united under the blood'n'banner of the Fomoriag. They come in waves from across the sea. Their ultimate leader or homeland is unknown but each raid is headed by a great, charismatic leader.
When the land has been scourged they vanish back across the sea.

>Skeletons/zombies/mummies
In the last days of earth spirits from hell rise up and claim the bodies of the dead. They roam the earth raping, killing and generally making up for lost time.

slavs

Trogs coz nothing beats their stink!

These orcs haven't learned how to use fire or any tools. They don't have too.

Any scar tissue is calcified. Fists become clubs. Claws become blades. Ribs fuse into cuirasses. The oldest and largest are mistaken for golems.

They only want two things: food and iron. They chew and digest iron and it becomes part of their bones, including the scar tissue. The result has the properties of cold iron, making some theorize that these creatures were made or evolved to prey on fairies.

Genderless, any corpse scabs itself to become a womb for a new litter of little beasts which fight as soon as they appear. Did you remember to burn the orcs you killed?

The Fey called. They want the entire landmass back as it was before civilization's literature congealed their countless narratives into 'fairy tales'. For that, they created something capable of eating the metal that made civilization what it is, and armed with the nastiest poison mortals ever used against fey.

Tolkien specifically mentions that they are very very clever with destructive machinery and even implies that some modern (by 1920's standards) weapons were indeed based on what the "goblins" invented.

Depends on the style of campaign you are running. If you want something obiously evil, just pick on of the existing races or make something up, make them ugly, twisted, and disgusting. Fluff it as a curse, mutation, or whatever. If you run a nitty-gritty campaign and want something genuinely terrifying, it isn't about traits like dumb or angry but rather about what they are doing and how. Think up some horrible things they might do to people, e.g. converting humans into themselves somehow always works.

Why would you want to?

youtube.com/watch?v=VoAfb3f04mo

Use Skaven.

H'durr: the Post

Tribal centaurs could work pretty well. They have the plainlands dominated, and now they're getting greedy.

LOOKS LIKE MEAT'S BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

fpbp

Legit terrifying to think about.

Neanderthal were smarter than us, they lost because they couldn't throw worth a shit and we bred faster.

A ratmen civilization not under the influence of literal Chaos gods would be more like elves than orcs.

Vikings.

Ghouls.

I actually had a thinly veiled feminism analogue as an orc cult once. They thought orcs had a divine right to loot, pillage, rape and be evil since those were their natural tendencies, murdered and skinned non-evil orcs and half-orcs because they didn't deserve to wear orcish skin, and then gave the skins to insane human cultists who they said had orcish souls. Not particularly subtle, but the players liked it.

t. fat cat

Most of the posters on Veeky Forums these days didn't start RPGs until after 3.5 was already out.

Scro are tops though.

The artist who came up with the "theory", maybe.

He's saying those traits aren't Tolkien-esque, they're perpetuated by D&D and its influences.

I'm not gonna lie, user, thats pretty cool.

>They thought orcs had a divine right to loot, pillage, rape and be evil since those were their natural tendencies, murdered and skinned non-evil orcs and half-orcs because they didn't deserve to wear orcish skin, and then gave the skins to insane human cultists who they said had orcish souls. Not particularly subtle, but the players liked it.

Explain to me how this is feminism, please. Assume I am retarded. Thanks.

They thought [morons who took gender studies] had a right to [be entitled shits] because those were their natural tendencies, [ostracised, doxxed and ruined the lives of] non-evil [minority group members] because they [were race/gender traitors] and then [got legions of cuck followers] who they said [had checked their privilege.]

The fact you think that at all approximates feminism is why we have to deal with all of this faggotry on tumblr.

Hint: When people on Veeky Forums say feminism, they mean Tumblr, just like how when they say autist they mean Chris-Chan and not someone mildly socially awkward.

Its shitty because it doesn't even aproximate 'tumblr' feminism. Its at best lazy conservatism aimed at transfags.

But this is Veeky Forums where we celebrate mediocrity as creativity and fun.

Had a campaign in a homebrew setting which had these guys in it. PCs defended a small town from the beastmen and drove them away. One player put an arrow through their leader's eye but it got away, and the players even named it Khazarak. The funny thing was the idea came from a guy who knew jack shit about warhammer fantasy.