Accidental Magical Girl CYOA

Welcome to the Accidental Magical Girl thread!

Various worlds and multiverses have become connected together via the mysterious Overcity, a sprawling landscape inhabited by monsters and magical beings. Girls and boys endowed with their new supernatural powers can work together solving conflicts that arise!

>This is NOT a greentext adventure style CYOA with one GM and thread posting to dictate the adventure, but rather a hub thread for multiple storycrafters to use.

This thread houses three systems: First, QuasarBlack's CYOA PDFs which may be used as writing prompts. Second, AMGC which expands on the CYOA character creation and provides rules for combat. Finally, the SCS is an alternative to AMGC with a similar purpose. IRC uses mostly AMGC and Discord uses mostly SCS.

Post builds, roleplay, write stuff.

CYOA Stuff:
Writefag Archive: pastebin.com/rSvTGQzP
Magical Girl Images: mega.nz/#F!xINWxCqY!HsVA2LnU9RDMMmZieoqv9w

>Addons to the CYOA, currently only the Patron Module:
pastebin.com/9qFcbzN0

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/teUgkHyS
>Changelog: pastebin.com/nNqnESfz
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/V2X9itz0

IRC on Rizon:
OOC Chat: #MGCYOA
In Character RP Pub: #TheWand&Circlet
IC Campaigns: #MGChronicle or #MGPnP
IC Shenanigans: #Overcity
IC Cafe: #MGCafe
rizon.net/chat
Linkboard: titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq

The Discord Server for Roleplaying and Campaigns:
discord.gg/c6E2N

Previous Thread was deleted for some reason. Here's an archive link: archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50830662/#50830662

Other urls found in this thread:

orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH
pastebin.com/jCStZAqq
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cPxQ4Gc3_MddNiAmJ-KLeP6HeDzl4UIMxT0NyRExYIM/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/
pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz
pastebin.com/kVJmwcj3
pastebin.com/wTMU8JjX
pastebin.com/pzKwa1kD
pastebin.com/WpKxFQd9
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K_6DplVo1_Kq2orPNUkVEmZb-4edqGBGase2ImIDLQs/edit?usp=sharing
discord.gg/7yvfW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The CYOA's Patron Module, which determines just who bestows your character's magical abilities. But be wary, for not all of these patrons are after your best interests...

This PDF is for AMGC 1.14, one of the two usable PNP systems for playing as a magical girl.
It features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more. Note that this is NOT the same as the CYOA.

>Character generator for AMGC, made by Doxy using RandomGen by Orteil.
Just one click and your mahou will be finished!
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

>Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one semi-convenient spot!
pastebin.com/ZvxkyAbH

>Character sharing thing made by emperor_
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/

>Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations, updated often):
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

>Magic overhaul by Drakon in progress. Teaser located here: pastebin.com/jCStZAqq

>Google Docs AMGC Character Sheet (made by Torque)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cPxQ4Gc3_MddNiAmJ-KLeP6HeDzl4UIMxT0NyRExYIM/edit?usp=sharing

>AMGC Character Archive:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/ArCvYAPt
>Changelog: pastebin.com/3rwLq8TT
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/FJwNH5Fz

In the interest of compressing OP size and housecleaning, see one of the above links for the AMGC expansions.

The SCS was made as an add-on to the CYOA to cover the combat side of roleplaying. It allows players to easily take characters made in the CYOA v1.5 and use them in Quests and long-running campaigns alike.

This PDF covers the basics of magical girls and sets the groundwork for updates and addons.

>Addons to the SCS, including the Patron expansion and GM's Guide
pastebin.com/kVJmwcj3

>Mirrors: pastebin.com/wTMU8JjX
>Changelog: pastebin.com/pzKwa1kD
>Previous Versions: pastebin.com/WpKxFQd9
>Character Sheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K_6DplVo1_Kq2orPNUkVEmZb-4edqGBGase2ImIDLQs/edit?usp=sharing

As with AMGC, in the interest of housekeeping and OP compression, the expansions will be omitted from the thread, however they can be found in one of the links above.

Working on a belated gift to CYOA general for the holidays. Should have it done in a few hours now that I have the general hang of the program.

Whoa, that's pretty good.

Need help with any of it, user? I can't draw for shit, but if there's something else you need I can do it.

Nah, just hunting images to fill boxes and writing text. SDA's mega had a lot of helpful stuffs in it to help me figure out how to format things and a lot of the program is close enough to photoshop I could bash some thing together.

Alright. Any images in particular you're looking for? Just the names for features can be used, if you want to keep the contents a surprise.

I got it covered mate, thanks for the offer though.

Quick state of affairs on the Discord.

>Christmas party had a decent turnout. There was a Secret Santa, but due to timezones we didn't get to exchange all of the gifts in-character.
>The main event was a 3-day campaign in which the notorious thief, the Knight of Phantoms, stole the very CONCEPT of Christmas, and our intrepid heroes (with a couple of villains mixed in) worked together to end his schemes. In the end the Knight of Phantoms realized that Christmas wasn't the thing he needed anyway, and returned it, swooping off into the winter night.
>One of our GMs is also hosting a session this evening. Some sort of dungeon crawl in an ice cavern, although they've been dodgy about the details. More news on that as it happens.

So, what'd y'all at the IRC do for the holidays? It's always interesting to hear about holiday events.

>(with a couple of villains mixed in)
tfw mongs can't be heroes too

>[Puchuu Intensifies]

Rolled 18, 7, 5, 10, 19, 8, 2, 19, 11, 14, 19 = 132 (11d20)

Let's try this out

Rolled 4, 5, 16, 12, 16, 10, 20, 17, 2, 1, 20, 3 = 126 (12d20)

You should list what the expansions are in the new text instead of having them labelled as just add-on expansions.

Alright. I'll adjust the OP txt file I have to match.

Rolled 18, 14, 13, 16, 18, 7, 4, 9, 2, 14, 13 = 128 (11d20)

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away...

Rolled 10, 18, 14, 15, 20, 3, 20, 16, 13, 14, 14 = 157 (11d20)

might as well. give me a bit.

Rolled 5, 10, 16, 17, 7, 12, 10, 8, 6 = 91 (9d20)

16, over, empath, mystic, uniform, hammerspace, power artifact, sorcery, healing artifact(bronze swap), overcity shift, ally.

my memes, they turn against me ;v;

What's the most useless possible character to make? Fake Parents perk is a given, but what else?

If you include AMGC perks then Censorship merits a mention.

Rolled 11, 8, 19, 13, 2, 9, 11, 5, 3, 3, 4 = 88 (11d20)

finally

someone else who acknowledges the absolute worthlessness of that perk

H-How'd I do?

Rolled 19, 7, 9, 17, 15, 17, 12, 12, 1, 4, 15 = 128 (11d20)

here we go.

Table 3 perks in Core are downgrades in every way from CYOA perks. I can't imagine WHY someone thought they were good additions.

>Fake Parents
>Useless
What, having a home and people that care about you (even if it's fake) and pay your bills is "useless"? Remember that by default you're basically a frilly murderhobo unless you're old enough to get a job, have Interdimensional Home, Interdimensional Tourist, Money, or Fake Parents.

You could use Disguise Artifact to keep your old identity too.

You've got a 5th perk that you haven't selected, but other than that it looks great!

Roleplay perks are useless in combat or the systems for the most part. Fake Parents does not give a combat advantage.
Also, you could easily write in an accepting family for your character without needing a perk to do so under the justification of having fluff. It's allowed under the rules of freeform.
Hence, a useless perk.

Fake Parents aren't useless if you're not a shitty roleplayer. That's true of most of the support perks.

>You can fluff in an accepting family
The entire point of the CYOA is that you're transformed and can't get back to your normal life nearly as easily. The point of the perks is to try and get back what you can, or to ACTUALLY ROLEPLAY the interactions that lead up to getting you back. It's incredibly lazy and self-serving to say "well she tripped over a family that accepts her" or "well her family doesn't care", and saying that anyone can do that defeats a lot of the purpose of the CYOA.

>Roleplay perks are useless in combat
That's called "working as intended". Every perk doesn't need to have a combat benefit, and it's asinine for you to assume that they should.

>What's the most useless possible character to make?

Combat wise, one that is not min-maxed as one should (apparently) be doing.

Otherwise all characters are fine.

>What's the most useless possible character to make?
All-MAG Air/Ranged without taking any other magic options or Third Eye.

In literally every other case I can think of, you can get use out of off-beat stat combinations, but since both systems use AGI to scale Ranged damage, if you don't have some sort of use for that MAG it's literally wasted. AMGC maybe less so since you can theoretically make up for it with raw mana reserves, but it's completely worthless in the SCS without secondary MAG-related options.

Ended up scrapping it when I found out AMGC has more hard statistics and combat system.

Actually AMGC has weak math. You should use the CYOA and SCS together.

>AMGC has hard statistics and a combat system
So does the CYOA? Did you bother doing research first, or did you just open the AMGC PDF and jump straight to that conclusion?

AGMC also supports min-maxing as it's based on a system that encourages min-maxing.

>People actually WANT min-maxing.
I can't be reading this right.

Well I mean that's kind of how Exalted 2e is

You have to remember that AMGC is an unholy abomination of plagiarized material superglued to poorly implemented original ideas.
The balancing issues make it a flaming pile of shit to play. The community votes to suggest fixes somehow break the game worse as players vote for changes that make their characters OP and reject ideas that don't obviously benefit them.
AMGC wasn't made by a real game developer, and is polished by juveniles.
Why are you surprised to learn that min-maxing is the only thing keeping the game afloat?

Look buddy that's cool and all but the adults are talking.

there are some pros and cons but that's a really shitty way to put the cons and you're doing more harm to the community than minmaxxing ever did

SCS doesn't support min-maxing? guess I'm dropping this

people should be rewarded for commiting to a build

It's more like being an all-rounder is actually viable in SCS, whereas it utterly gimps you in AMGC.

Also, let's not forget that SCS has a soft form of progression in the form of upgrading equipment and adding enchantments to yourself and some of your abilities.

this desu

if you eliminate the potential to minmax all together you either get 1) identical characters or 2) a rock-paper-scissors scenario of varrying complexity.

Correction: Being an all-rounder USED to gimp you in AMGC. After the last few updates it's viable.

No comment about progression.

>After the last few updates it's viable.

I find that hard to believe.

The only bad thing about the SCS is that it was finished after AMGC.
Imagine how this general would be if we had the SCS from the beginning instead... -sigh-

The latter option is great as long as it's very complex. What that essentially means is that different girls excel in different circumstances, but generally speaking one does not outclass the other.

How so? The only thing I can think of that would make that work is Hammerspace because it uses base dice and multiple resource types.

>AMGC wasn't made by a real game developer

DSD always says they were a real game developer, but has anyone ever asked about what they worked on? Because SCS is okay, but it's not professional.

There are lots of bad games made by professional developers.

this was both a defense and an inadvertent burn

but yes, the principal that quality and reference-worthy experience are only moderately correlated is a good point. 's either meant to insult AMCG by insulting it's devs OR to point out that AMCG's quality is bad and it thus looks like it was made by juvenile developers (that it's quality is telling of inexperience). it wasn't clear which argument they were going for.

cont.

Attacking the developers resume's (like "AMGC's crew are newbs, therefor you shouldn't play the game") is the kind of shit thing some asshole without enough common sense to check their mudslinging would say. Expressing a dislike for the systems quality (like "AMGC's system is technically flawed to the point of being unenjoyable (sidenote: you can tell they're new), therefor you shouldn't play it") is a valid argument, but what looks "technically bad" is a complicated matter and whether or not that makes it unenjoyable is a subjective person-to-person thing.

~==NOW THAT THE SHITPOSTING HAS DAWNED AND BOTH SIDES HAVE SHOWN FLAWED REASONINGS, LETS ADMIT THAT THIS ARGUING IS NEVER GOING TO ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING AND START TALKING ABOUT MAGICAL GIRLS!==~

~==IT'S HAPPENED A MILLION TIMES, THE SAME VALID ARGUMENTS AND THE SAME INVALID SHIT, THERE NEVER IS A WINNER AND THERE'S NEVER ANY POINT, LET'S TALK ABOUT MAGICAL GIRLS!==~

~==WE'RE ALL HERE TO HAVE FUN, AND THIS "WANTING OUR SYSTEM TO LOOK BETTER" THING IS TOTALLY GARBAGE! LET'S TALK ABOUT MAGICAL GIRLS!==~

There are reasonable and unreasonable arguments being made, but you trying to shout down everyone is not productive. Systems talk and/or drama is what keeps the thread alive. It would be nice if people tried to make constructive points, though, instead of saying things like "__ system is bad, don't play it".

No, it's not. It's a good-quality and well-constructed game, if I do say so myself, but it's definitely not professional caliber.

My education is solid and my experience is real, but my professional applications are lacking and my people skills aren't always the best. The one major professional blip I have on my resume was fairly short-term (only lasting about 2 months) and resulted in my splitting off from that company due to a philosophical difference and a few other constraints, but that's neither here nor there and I'll leave it at that.

Working with this community has helped a lot for my growth as both a developer and as a person. Working on the SCS, my ban from the IRC, what work I did on AMGC, helping to found the Discord, and interaction with the various community members all helped me come to terms with parts of who I am, as well as helping me reinforce and refine both my philosophy and my game design technique.

Because of this, I can confidently say that anyone can work to refine and create games if they're willing to try. All it really takes is creativity, a feel for what people want, and the ability to connect the two.

Besides, the amateur perspective isn't something to disqualify out of hand. I used to think that, but really I was just being fed up with close-mindedness. Fresh and open perspectives help breathe new life into a game, so that it won't turn stale and ignore its flaws.

Besides, surely somebody could come up with a better argument besides "m-muh professional game dev". I mean, really, good work is good work, regardless of the qualifications.

I mean, AMGC and the SCS both have enough flaws for you to pick at without needing to assault the developers' credibility. If you can't come up with a better argument, you're just a dullard that can't be bothered to look for one.

For instance, I can easily assault AMGC's viability as a system by pointing out that a huge chunk of the third table perks are redundant and/or useless. I can also argue that its lack of in-depth Patron support is flawed. Not to mention Fusion STILL being functionally worthless for what...6 versions now? More? Hell, we can also poke at its trouble with balancing Monster Girls. And don't forget that the spells are STILL in a huge amount of limbo, despite it being the strongest point of the system.

C'mon, people. If you're gonna argue, use real arguments. None of this half-baked "X is shit! SHIIIIIIIT!" nonsense. Dig your teeth into the meat of the matter. Can't find any meat? Then don't bite.

Hello.

Every one of your criticisms there is totally valid, and they were all on my list of things to fix about AMGC. Perhaps they would have gotten done, too, if I hadn't been struck by a particular dumb idea one day. Anyways, part of the problem is that people are resistant to the idea of removing perks or departing from the CYOA.

I've been working a little bit on an evolution of the system to address these issues, plus some other big ones like the length of combat and viability of mixed stat spreads. One of the big steps I wanted to take was to write a fully-functional simulation of the combat in order to test the actual impact of having/not having certain features or quantities of stats. I just finished with that and am thinking about ways to tidy up the code and stuff.

Oops, forgot to add my name.

>Anyways, part of the problem is that people are resistant to the idea of removing perks or departing from the CYOA.
I know this is going to sound really stupid given the entire premise of AMGC's community-based developmental system...

...but do it anyway. Seriously. Do it anyway. There is absolutely no harm whatsoever in giving mechanics a test drive. Don't put it in a PDF and make sure people know you're testing it, but make the tests public and give community members the chance to get in on tests themselves so they can know what they're voting for.

AMGC's a rushed system at its roots. Refine it, and don't be afraid to turn it into something different. Don't change things for no good reason, but don't be afraid to make a change that could end up making a better game in the long run just because you're afraid a couple of dudes are gonna get butthurt. What're they gonna do, shitpost about you on Veeky Forums? Turn you into an IRC boogeyman? Please.

There's too much to test to make it all public, but I'm planning on giving out the source code when it's ready so that people can look at it themselves along with a written explanation.

>There's too much to test to make it all public
Balderdash. You're simply not trying hard enough.

Have faith in your local GMs.

>You're simply not trying hard enough.
Well yeah, cataloging every test I perform and the associated data would be a pain in the neck and take a ton of extra time.

Then split it up into parts and just test each part

Can't you just stay gone? There has been significantly less drama with you not trying to force your ways down everyone's throat.

I wish you'd use your name so I knew who to avoid.

Do you like your magical boys frilly and cute?

I'm pretty sure is just New Age Retro Shitpost-kun trying to stir up thread drama either to draw unwanted janitorial attention or just for jollies.

I suspect the IRC would take you back easily if you showed up.

Did the guy ever revamp spells?

No word from Drakon for months.

The tall tales of him getting in trouble with the law for crazy computer shit may not be so tall.

Can you post your contact info?

For now, if you say anything in #PrismaLantern I can see the logs.

Yes. Monster girls can also be frilly and cute.

Think we should archive away the shit he was working on and move on? No sense in keeping it in the OP if he's gone for the forseeable future.

He released a more substantial update, but it never circulated its way to the thread.

Got it on-hand, perchance? I can add it to the OP and remove the bit about him actively working on it, pending his return from Limbo.

No, I don't keep irc logs. Flashdrive might have it.

See if you can wrangle it from them. It'd be helpful to keep the OP up-to-date.

Drakon, you crazy, crazy man.

I'm gonna miss you. ;_;7

Rolled 4, 10, 18, 3, 18, 14, 7, 20, 11, 14, 10 = 129 (11d20)

Sorry, I don't think I was there for that. My time zone doesn't really overlap well with Drak's.

Zene keeps logs of every channel 24/7 so you should be able to ask her. Same for Wander.

Has your mahou ever messed up on a mission?

Pretty sure. On their first mission no less. Whoops.

Wander's been out of it for months and getting Zene to pay attention long enough to give you logs can be hard sometimes.

Absolutely. Very first mission resulted in a casualty, even.

>Wander's been out of it for months and getting Zene to pay attention long enough to give you logs can be hard sometimes.
Oh. Well, you can always just go to main chat and ask if anyone has logs.

Tell us more!

Rolled 12, 8, 16, 5, 12, 4, 10, 10, 1, 11, 3 = 92 (11d20)

IRC CONFIRMED FOR DEAD
AMGCUNTS BTFO

(You)

>Oh. Well, you can always just go to main chat and ask if anyone has logs.
I can't very well do that if I'm banned. If I could just ask for stuff I'd just do that instead of asking other people to take care of it in my stead.

Wander and I were supposed to talk about something important at the end of friggin' October. He's been AWOL since.

I've seen Wander post as recently as this month. You sure he's been AWOL?

Well, he's not responding to my PMs, and his literal best friend tells me he's been more or less AWOL for a while.

Rolled 11, 18, 4, 5, 7, 6, 12, 4, 1, 9, 11 = 88 (11d20)

well that's interesting. You should try to get Zene's attention then.

Rolled 19, 17, 3, 17, 8, 7, 14, 5, 18, 11, 3 = 122 (11d20)

In pursuit of the absolutely perfect build.

Discord Link for Today

discord.gg/7yvfW

Rolled 20, 13, 14, 3, 1, 16, 9, 12, 12, 10, 9 = 119 (11d20)

How can you hope to save the world if you can't even save this thread from page 10?!

You're lucky I was just passing through the area...