Warhammer 40k General

Fall of Cadia hype edition

>Previous thread
>Freshest Rules in Epub (Use Readium for PC or Kobo on Android)
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!2tgBUTYI

>Older stuff in PDFs:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>As current as the FAQs get
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (Dragons are red, Avengers are blue, the Wraithknight is huge, and he's going to kill you):
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

>List Builder if BS doesn't add enough bloat for you
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

Other urls found in this thread:

forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legion-Autocannon-Set-2015
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Kalibrax-Pattern-Autocannon-Set
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for I2 Orks

nth for Fortifying this Thread

I claim this thread and its citizens for the dark city!

or, you know, just take a predator with more lascannons for less points in the same slot

formation tax bruh

Havocs are a requirement in the excellent Chaos Warband formation. Predators are only available in the decurion via the rather underwhelming Fist of the Gods. That's not a competition solution even if a Las Predator was better, which it probably isn't.

Verdict on Custodes? Im thinking about getting back into 40k and I want to make a smal army with lots of work per model.

look man, all I'm saying is that if you have to start arguing that somebody should take 2 lascannons in a rhino to prove your point, perhaps your point wasn't that good in the first place

In agreement with this post, don't devistators have enough range to keep them moderately safe?
Space marines sitting 36" away in some ruins for a nice cover save and a weapon less model to take a wound for you before they get to the weapons?

There's more than like 5 people in these threads dude

Anons, are there any famous Fighter Aces in 40k?

After having destroyed the Behemoth in BF1, then several bombers, attack planes, and fighters while using the Red Baron skin on an Operation, I began to wonder about 40k.

50 ppm base. They're more of an ally force. Forge World is giving them more options than simply basic Custodes and more Custodes, like a fancy Grav Tank that looks like it should be in Infinity because of its lack of skulls, and a possible Custodes Dreadnought.

Autocannons are pretty good and really cheap. They're the go to Havoc weapon.

Cant wait for Age of the Emperor so you guys dwell to 30k, making 40k less austismo

>Discussing competitive gameplay
>About havocs, a non competitive unit
>In CSM, a non competitive army

The whole argument is garbage

No there isn't, you've lost your mind user, all these posts are just you talking to yourseWAKE UP

We're talking about CSM. With Traitor Legions Predators are rather suboptimal due to formation structure.

So formations are autistic? Is that what you're saying? Cause what's more likely to happen is that we adapt to the times while you cry about how you miss the good old days before selling your army on eBay

What is the standard point limit for an average game?

user says running them with two heavies in a rhino is OBJECTIVELY better than four on foot.

Do you agree?

>implying the autists won't be the only ones left after that

I hope the rock you've been under was nice.

Competative players, I think he means.

I think there's some in Double Eagle, and there used to be/are fighter ace upgrades for aircraft (which grant it a unique, random bonus depending on faction.)

I still would like to know if adding two combi-meltas to my Sternguard unit improved my list. I think it'll be more useful than the melta on the Land Speeder Storm. Thoughts?

I left the game for a while...how are these Genestealer cults ?

I mean, they don't need rhino bikers for protection because they're already so well protected.

No, and shame on you for buying an aaa historically inaccurate ww1 game.

1000, 1500, and 1850 are probably most common.

Horribly, horribly cheesy.

I have the book, I've read it. Nothing in it compares to what competitive armies have.

Great, top 5 army.

Perhaps you should reread the Death Guard section, user.

Plenty. The Eldar have a couple of unnamed Phoenix Lord pilots, which are probably gods in the sky, the Imperial Guard probably has no shortage of ace pilots, even fi they aren't precisely named, and the Space Marines probably have a number of their own exceptional pilots. Orks from Deff Skwadron could definitely all count as well.

this discussion is becoming a clusterfuck so I'll recap:

>some guy tells a new player he should take 2 autocannons in a rhino on havocs
>me, not wanting to see a hopeful young man be mislead, point out that this is a dumb idea
>some guy says no dude, all the good tournament lists do this
>I ask for proofs
>he posts gravcannons, and now it becomes clear what has happened. he assumes that because grav cheese does it, it must be good for autocannons. it isn't for a plethora of reasons. he also claims that historically, players have not maxed out heavies on havocs or even devastators. this is also not true to anyone who has played the game for more than one edition
>then somebody uses lascannons as an example. this is also a turd. yes, you need havocs for some formations, but 2 lascannons in a rhino aint the way to do it for a plethora of reasons
>and so we arrive at our current scenario of misconceptions and butthurt

I just got a big lot of Orks from a sale and I'm working on putting together my first lists. Nothing even approaching competitive play yet, since I'm still getting a hang of the rules with Kill Teams stuff, but here's the guys I picked out for my 750-point casual play army.

The big challenge at the moment is that I only have 22 regular ork boyz, and few big shoota boys, so I'm thinking to divide them into two groups of 11 with 'eavy armor and a nob boss w/ power klaw, and putting one of the groups in a trukk. Current HQ choices are Big Mek with Kustom Force Field and a Dokk. Brought a squad of Lootas for heavy support.

I've been considering swapping the Deff Dread with the metric fuckton of gretchen the collection I bought came with if that would logistically be the smarter move, but I really like the look of the Deff Dread and I'm looking for any excuse I can find to be able to put it up on the table.

True. Autocannon Havocs with their 48" range usually won't be nearly as vulnerable as Grav Devs.

Putting Ork boyz out of business

Anons anons im sorry for starting this shitty argument by posting my list im going to run only 2 autocannons because getting my hands on 4 for each unit seems like a huge pain in the ass.

Pretty fucking cheesy.

Genestealers with assault grenades and daemon saves infiltrate within 3" and charge, on turn one.
And they can summon more for free.

>because getting my hands on 4 for each unit seems like a huge pain in the
Nah easy.

forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legion-Autocannon-Set-2015
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Kalibrax-Pattern-Autocannon-Set

Kommanda Uzgob "Maverork"

I'm trying to round up every possible source of toughness penalties in the game. Been aiming for Nurgle stuff, but I suspect there's more out there. Bonus points if I can easily use it along side Chaos Space Marines or Daemons.

What I have thus far:

Biomancy Discipline: Enfeeble, Warp Charge 1, Malediction, 24" range, -1T
Plague Colony formation composed of maximum number of units, 7" area of effect, triggered at the start of Fight sub-phase, -1T
Discipline of Nurgle: Gift of Contagion result of 3 on D3, Warp Charge 1, Malediction, 48" range, -1T
Discipline of Nurgle: Curse of the Leper, Warp Charge 2, Malediction, 21" range, -1T
Tallyband Formation special rule Enfeebling Nausea, if locked in combat enemy unit must pass a Ld test of suffer -1T
Hellforged Artifact of Nurgle: Grotti the Nurgling, 6" area of effect, -1T unless Daemon of Nurgle

If you have the points, why wouldn't you max out on auto anons and park your havocs on an objective in a warband? They're objective secured and have 48inch range, they don't need to move anywhere.

>And they can summon more for free.

More, equipped anyway you want, for free.

Strong. And fun. They're a horde melee army that actually works in the current Shooting friendly environment.

>CSM fags complaining as always
Wew, back to square one.

Grav devs are a whole different kettle of fish, mostly due to them literally not having heavy weapons but salvo weapons.
They would actually appreciate a transport to help them get close and protect them unlike heavy weapon dev who's average range is 36" and don't like moving.

i should probably google more than not at all. I was wondering how you all expected me to get 8 auto cannons. now i just gotta figure out how much this is in burger dollars

It feels like if you are just taking the Havocs for a formation, the best way to do it would be backline autocannons for some relatively cheap and effective fire support, or for Plasma/Melta in a Rhino if you wanted a more expensive but threatening squad.

Spending 20 points for 2 autocannons plus 35 for a Rhino isn't that great compared to just spending 40 for 4 autocannons. The extra survivability is nice, but it cuts the amount of firepower in half for something that doesn't really need the extra protection or mobility.

Plop them in ruins, or use weapons that can actually benefit from riding around. No need to mix and match.

The funny part is that there's reason to buy Havocs a Rhino, but it's not really to carry them but rather to just have another ObSec metal box running around.

Question, can I shoot them using Coteaz? Or does it not count?

>tfw just want 11-12 man capacity Land Raiders for my KdK.

Whew... are Genestealer cults "to strong" in a beer and pretzel environment ? Anything not to take ? Just started looking into them.

Right. I agree.

Raptor Talon, gets to charge when it deepstrikes, but makes disordered charge.

Compare to the loyalist deepstrike and charge Skyhammer, admittedly a cheesy and broken formation.

There's no reason Raptor Talon should have to make a disordered charge, other than "chaos can't be better than loyalists"

Yeah. Grav Devs make sense to go for 2 in a transport. Gravcannons are expensive enough to warrant taking less of them, and can be used on the move to a limited degree, and want to be pretty close for maximum effect.

None of that really applies to autocannons. They're cheap, and want to be far away and stationary.

Rad Grenades (Inquisition or Dark Angels, I think?): grenade blast
Skitarii Vanguard: -1T to enemies in base contact

That's all I know.

Can a stat like toughness ever be reduced to 0 or does it just have a minimum of 1? If 0 is possible, what happens to the unit?

I think that user was the one arguing for maxing out havocs and yah 4 autocannons has always been decent, ob sec makes it pretty awesome

Hey they are in the same pot as the "assault" loyalist army known as the Blood Angels

How do I make a strong Thousand Sons legion army? They eat up so much points and seem like they don't do anything other than kill MEQ.

That seems pretty comprehensive. What's the payoff?

I was brainstorming a leadership penalty army for slaanesh the other day and the payoff was all the tasty excess powers that key off of leadership. But ultimately the required formations were too expensive unless I allied in dark eldar and harlequins. Which was a shit show.
Iirc, if a model is reduced to zero t (except vehicles obviously), it is removed.

If toughness goes to 0 the unit automatically dies with no saves.

If their toughness drops to 0, the whole unit is wiped out. This will make you That Guy.
They can take the Skyhammer though

Only one option left

If toughness is reduced to 0 the model is removed from play, if you can stack a -3 toughness debuff on a guard blob they all just keel over and die.

Core rulebook, page 9: Zero-level Characteristics. The last line in bold reads:

If at any point, a model's Strength, Toughness or Wounds are reduced to 0, it is removed from play as a casualty.

I'm trying to build a Nurgle army that can reliably trigger this with toughness modifiers.

They're new so people don't know them very well.

They're an army with loads of weak models with strong as fuck specs il rules which completely breaks the usual meta.

Wait for an update that makes them cheaper, I would allow you to pay
18ppm for rubrics
27ppm for scarab terminators

You mean
Get lucky

>the discussion continues to get more confusing as people misunderstand each other, even though they are agreeing now

tzeentch you cunt reeee

Nope, they're not allowed skyhammer or any of the SM formations as they're a different faction.

IIRC they actually can't according to the FAQ

>Update comes out
>Told to wait on another update

That is not helpful at all

Here's that as a list. This is just for a few friendly games at our FLGS this weekend, but if I'm doing anything egregiously wrong at the moment I'd appreciate any advice you guys have!

>special auto-corrected to spec il
WHY, THAT ISNT A REAL WORD

Take the minimum required formation to get scarab occult terminators, then take a formation of 9 sorcerers and Ahriman, iirc.

Give one sorcerer the astral grimoire.

Take a maxed out heldrake terror pack with baleflamers

Roll on telepathy for invisibility, and make sure ahriman knows psychic shriek.

Stick all the sorcerers in a unit with the termies, and cast blessings on it all day while giving it the jump infantry type. Use Ahriman to psychic shriek three times, which should do tons of damage with the heldrakes.

I think you covered the payoff yourself.

See Enfeeble and Curse of the Leper are the easy ones. I'm trying to decide if the Plague Colony formation is worth the points needed to get it working.

I don't think anyone is going to play me if I do that

The Core probably looks something llike min War Cabal, Magnus and/or War Sect, and a Heldrake. Don't try to max the Cabal or a Conclave.

Yeah, I was wondering if there was anything else I had missed. Iirc some powers have interesting toughness tests.

Good answer.

They will update the base codex after 8th tough, realistically speaking the only edition CSM didn't had an update or support was back in 5th ed.

Why wouldn't they?

What did the Tallarn forces look like during the Battle of Tallarn?

I know they become a desert fighting force after the planet was virus bombed and eventually the Iron Warriors were drove off. But 'as' the battle was raging, what did their forces look like?

8th ed when?

I'd say you kind of need it. It's more reliable than the Tallyband formation, and you really want to be able to hit -4, which can be done with it, the artifact, and two of the psychic powers.

Being able to get -4 means -3 will be super reliable, and it'll be possible to instant death toughness 6 creatures with basic marine strength. Plague marines aren't really bad either, though 7 squards could get expensive.

Biggest weakness is gonna be vehicles. You'll want a lot of melta.

Your anti-tank is Heretek, don't leave home without it.

Unfortunately the Rubrics are pretty weak. Any sort of "strong" TS list is going to be minimizing Rubrics and leaning hard on Magnus and/or Sorcerors.

Guys I need to start a new army, my preferences are thus
>I don't like transports. The idea of buying/painting 10 or so models that may never even be put on the table disgusts me.
>Low model count preferably, I'm not a richfag
>Doesn't get facerolled
>Doesn't need to abuse cheesy gimmicks if it's going to win (Flyrant spam)

Drop the 'eavy armour and maybe the klaw on the foot slogging squad for something else like more boyz or lootas, I assume you have the mek and pain boy in with the ladz in the trukk? Capity is 12 so drop 2 boyz from the other squad.

Don't mix special weapons on the dread, swap the shoota for a second scorcha or klaw.

so your asking for a near impossible standard?

I would plan on a daemon prince with black mace to go after any unit I can't bring all the way to toughness zero.

The Discipline of Plague for Chaos Daemons offers Rancid Visitations (WC2) which is a 12" nova forcing units in range to take a toughness test or suffer a wound with no armour or cover. If a model dies, they have to take another until a model doesn't die.

I wouldn't need your sagelike advice if the answer was obvious

this is the list that started it all